• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your favorite side dish on Turkey Day?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
My wife's baked squash casserole. It's made with heavy cream and topped with French-fried onions.
Honestly, it's to die for.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too love the stuffing . . . and homemade whole cranberry sauce. My Mom used to make the best . . . but she's long gone and I'm the only person who likes it around here, so the canned Ocean Spray gets by.

But cranberry sauce is so easy! And you can make it for yourself and eat it as a lovely snack for days afterward. It's good on plain yogurt or on toast.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Third day of turkey dinner and trimmings and I have had enough.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Third day of turkey dinner and trimmings and I have had enough.
It freezes, so you can have more later when your appetite is ready.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We froze a bunch today for future meals. Only kept enough out for me to make a Turkey Pot Pie in a day or two.
Oh, man, I love those leftover turkey sandwiches, dressing, mashers and gravy.
Monday is back to dieting and if I were truly serious, I guess I would have skipped a lot of what I ate in the past two days.
But I believe life is too short to not take a few days off and enjoy a holiday of good food.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
It freezes, so you can have more later when your appetite is ready.
Great suggestion, also, there is an awesome recipe for turkey enchiladas

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With our leftovers, we had two meals, and made:
-- 2 turkey pot pies
-- a bowl full of turkey salad for sandwiches

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
My mother used to make these beautiful cottage cheese filled buns....they can also be made with saurkraut or ground meat although the cheese ones are the most popular. I finally made these last month, froze them and made the cream sauce last night. Will serve them today at our Grey Cup party....hope my other guest like them....they are a lot of work but since most is done ahead of time......not too much effort on the busy day. Bring on the carbs!!!!

http://www.claudiascookbook.com/201...ian-cottage-cheese-buns-in-creamy-dill-sauce/

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
My mother used to make these beautiful cottage cheese filled buns....they can also be made with saurkraut or ground meat although the cheese ones are the most popular. I finally made these last month, froze them and made the cream sauce last night. Will serve them today at our Grey Cup party....hope my other guest like them....they are a lot of work but since most is done ahead of time......not too much effort on the busy day. Bring on the carbs!!!!

http://www.claudiascookbook.com/201...ian-cottage-cheese-buns-in-creamy-dill-sauce/
Thanks for the recipe.

Will certainly try it.

Richard

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
When there's nothing left but turkey crumbs and no more good slices, we finish it off with an old family Pennsylvania Dutch favorite - heat up the last of the turkey in a pot with gravy, and eat it on top of a waffle. My wife says when she was a kid there might be more waffles than turkey, so she would eat her last waffle with jelly.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
But cranberry sauce is so easy! And you can make it for yourself and eat it as a lovely snack for days afterward. It's good on plain yogurt or on toast.

I had a friend who was born & raised in Nova Scotia & cranberries were eaten often. One of her favorite ways to have home made sauce was over french vanilla ice cream. Sounds weird but it was delicious! I make big batches of it and then freeze in smaller containers, it's good with chicken as well!

Cranberries are also good for bladder/kidney infections. The extended care home where my Mom lives serves cranberry juice daily to all their residents and they have a very low rate of bladder infections.

~Diane

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
"Pioneer Woman" (Lee Drummond) did a cranberry-raspberry-blueberry sauce that I intend to try for Christmas,

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This is an old thread but I am bringing it back. Both my husband and I work on Thanksgiving (airline and retail) so we are having Thanksgiving today. It's just 4 of us today so instead of a million sides, I cut down and will do different sides with leftovers on Saturday.
Today's sides are homemade cranberry sauce, bagged sauerkraut (Baltimore thing), mashed potatoes (son want's this with every meal), stovetop stuffing (sage) and broccoli (not very traditional but wanted a fresh green vegi). On Saturday probably will do sweet potatoes, green beans, mac and cheese and what ever sides are left from today.

Happy Thanksgiving.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Our green vegetable is always "microwave peas", so named by my sister. Favorite appetizer is celery stuffed with cream cheese (the kind with chives) -- tomorrow we are taking Trader Joe's turkey breast and sides to Mom's house and I hadn't planned on appetizers beyond the cashews Mom says she has. But Cliff decided he had a taste for shrimp so he went yesterday to pick up a small (16 pcs) shrimp ring. Growing up, Mom occasionally had a fruit cup or glass of tomato juice as a first course on Thanx & Xmas, but usually we went straight to turkey. When we do Thanksgiving here we often do butternut squash soup (Cliff) or hot spinach salad (me). For Christmas we'd skip the soup and most often had spinach salad first course. Of course Christmas here always calls for an appetizer of "cheese whiz" (more properly called Brie & Winter Fruit), so those of us who love melted brie on toasted baguette invariably come to the table already full. Side dishes, a tie between mashed potatoes & gravy and stuffing. I haven't made my world famous cranberry/orange liqueur cranberry sauce in a few years. Easy to make, but makes a batch that lasts until New Years (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This year we are going to have buffet dinner out at the Westin. No clean up at home and good food out. Happy happy. :)

For years when we lived in California, we ate out at nice places until we moved into a new development and our neighbors invited us over for Thanksgiving every year and food and company were always great. We moved 3 years ago, cooked and ate in the first year, ate at the Westin the second year, and last year we were invited to a home of a friend's friend and both the company, other than our friends', and food were pretty bad.

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Costco's cheesecake. I'm making baked potato instead of the usual roasted fingerlings this year, so that's a close second. Actually, I'm also making rib eye cap steak for the first time as the holiday meal, so need to rethink the order. Maybe steak, baked potato, then cheesecake. String beans and mushrooms...meh!

Ingrid

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My favorite side is still good stuffing. I could make a meal of it. I also like to pick the turkey off the carcass while we're cleaning up. :)

We're going to sil's this year. I have no idea what all the side dishes will be, but I'm sure it will all be amazing. We are bringing pies and a green salad.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have to decide tomorrow whether to order the Vermont Turkey Dinner or the Portabello Mushroom Wellington. LOL! Good choices at the local place- also: Maple glazed ham, crab stuffed shrimp, petite prime rib, King cut prime rib, or grilled rack of lamb.

Then I need to choose pumpkin or pecan pie. They also have apple and cherry. Not sure what the soup is. Soup or salad? Hmmmm.....

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple sage stuffing for me. I would also enjoy it with cooked onions and/or ground sausage. But nothing else ever added, especially things that would totally ruin it like mushrooms or oysters.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite side dish was my Mother cornbread stuffing make with that special recipe passed down from her Grandmother.
Thanksgivings Day was the only date. My Father and Mother required everyone to be home for dinner. No television or football games to watch; just good food eating at my Mom table.
There were only eleven of all us at my Mom last Thanksgivings dinner. The next year she was gone.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our neighbors are coming over tomorrow and they had some requests (lol, but whatever. If you are picky let me know beforehand). Luckily the big deal to them was dressing - not in the bird and no extras, like apples, grapes etc. It just so happens that I completely agree with most of this (although I will eat stuffing from the bird - I know that others are skeeved out by it so I don't subject my guests to eating it). I think that dressing is the best side, nearly tied with mashed potatoes and gravy. If I could, I would eat those three meals a day for the rest of the week.

I just finished making my gravy base, my herbed butter, prepped the brussels sprouts gratin, made the cranberry relish, and just need to make the dressing. I'm stressing a bit on that. Last year I used the crock pot and while it tasted great, it was crunchy on the sides and bottom of the crock. So I am debating on just baking it after the turkey comes out or lining the crock with foil. Anyone want to offer an opinion? :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our neighbors are coming over tomorrow and they had some requests (lol, but whatever. If you are picky let me know beforehand). Luckily the big deal to them was dressing - not in the bird and no extras, like apples, grapes etc. It just so happens that I completely agree with most of this (although I will eat stuffing from the bird - I know that others are skeeved out by it so I don't subject my guests to eating it). I think that dressing is the best side, nearly tied with mashed potatoes and gravy. If I could, I would eat those three meals a day for the rest of the week.

I just finished making my gravy base, my herbed butter, prepped the brussels sprouts gratin, made the cranberry relish, and just need to make the dressing. I'm stressing a bit on that. Last year I used the crock pot and while it tasted great, it was crunchy on the sides and bottom of the crock. So I am debating on just baking it after the turkey comes out or lining the crock with foil. Anyone want to offer an opinion? :D
I'm on that likes the stuffing cooked in the turkey, but I haven't had any prepared that way for years. Everyone else thought it got too moist, or it wasn't "safe" if it was cooked that way.

Your dinner sounds great, except for the brussels sprouts. :D But, if I were your guest I'd take a little and not complain. I wouldn't complain if the stuffing was a bit crunchy either. I'd want to be invited back again.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm on that likes the stuffing cooked in the turkey, but I haven't had any prepared that way for years. Everyone else thought it got too moist, or it wasn't "safe" if it was cooked that way.

Your dinner sounds great, except for the brussels sprouts. :D But, if I were your guest I'd take a little and not complain. I wouldn't complain if the stuffing was a bit crunchy either. I'd want to be invited back again.
They are apparently fine with brussels but I decided to make some green beans just in case they were being polite. I am a recent (past three years) brussels sprout convert. I'm good if they are roasted, and have cheese or a balsamic reduction with them. Then I find them quite tasty.