• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Same old sales tactics

bamasteve

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Wyndham owner of 20+ years. Love the properties. Have had some great family memories too. But I'm very tired of the sales tactics. I'm at Daytona today, where I did a 15-minute survey. The agent claimed that I had been offered some new Wyndham destinations deal but I must have ignored it. I was made to feel like my previous status as VIP gold was no longer good enough for getting good reservations, I was told that rolling points over will no longer be allowed. This is very different from what we were shown at Pompano Beach last January. I thought the days of Wyndham sales tactics we're over, but sad to say they are not. I've decided I'll just keep my gold VIP status without giving Wyndham anymore money.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I'm a Wyndham owner of 20+ years. Love the properties. Have had some great family memories too. But I'm very tired of the sales tactics. I'm at Daytona today, where I did a 15-minute survey. The agent claimed that I had been offered some new Wyndham destinations deal but I must have ignored it. I was made to feel like my previous status as VIP gold was no longer good enough for getting good reservations, I was told that rolling points over will no longer be allowed. This is very different from what we were shown at Pompano Beach last January. I thought the days of Wyndham sales tactics we're over, but sad to say they are not. I've decided I'll just keep my gold VIP status without giving Wyndham anymore money.

Yeah, I hear you.

Years ago, when I was approached for update, I was told that I was a sucker for buying what I had and they are here to turn me from a sucker to a winner once again....

I sold out so I wouldn’t be a sucker as they called it. Not quite what they planned.

Scummy business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at Ocean Walk too. Here until 12/21, then Clearwater until 01/01 and then Destin until April. We blew off the "survey" and were not taking their calls. They finally gave up. What do you think of the wristband keys? I love them. It's genius.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
At national harbor for Thanksgiving week. We have several units and do this every year. Staff here is wonderful. Went to the "update" cause they paid for 7 nights parking ($140) and breakfast. Had a decent salesman who asked intelligent questions and listened to our answers. they made a perfunctory offer to get us to founder (46k for 223k points) no nasty comments or heavy push when I said no way. Pretty pleasant conversation, mostly about kids and dogs as well as how we actually maximize our ownership to get what we want. Bitched about the website, claimed new CEO was here about 2 weeks ago and agreed it sucks. pointed him to Tug if he wanted to know what real owners were upset about, as salesman claimed to have never heard of Tug. Weather was rainy, breakfast was acceptable, $140 for 2 hours wasn't bad. Not a typical experience.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sometimes Salespeople know less about timeshares than TUG members. I don’t do presentations anymore. Looking to decrease my ownerships not add to them.
Glad you got parking and breakfast.
Silentg

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Normally I skil them. We clearly don't need more points and actually shed over 800k resale points a few years ago. Some by sale for transfer and closing costs and some via ovations. Nat harbor has always been relatively low pressure and they always offer to pay my 7 days of parking. Since we come here for a week every thanks giving and guests don't arrive till monday or tuesday, we have the time. No way we buy more dev points, ever. We would not consider this in Atlantic city or Vegas. Sales staffs there have in our past experience been stupid high pressure, make up whatever they think works annoying.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
I can’t imagine ever doing an update, survey, tour, or whatever. Life (and vacation) is too short. These tactics won’t change because they work.
I love doing them. You see, I'm smarter then they are, and call them out on their lies. And when they do say my ownership is lame, I tell them they screwed my parents then. And who's to say that in 10 years what you're selling me now won't be?? I have fun with it. They really hate me.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I can’t imagine ever doing an update, survey, tour, or whatever.
I have fun with it.

I think this is what it comes down to - whether someone finds attending an update to be a fun, entertaining use of a couple of hours on vacation to earn a few bucks, or not. Neither choice is better than the other.

What I don't think is worth it is putting any stock in the stories they tell or the tactics they use - even if I decided an update was worth my time, giving a second thought to what the sales staff told me is not worth any additional mental energy.

bamasteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at Ocean Walk too. Here until 12/21, then Clearwater until 01/01 and then Destin until April. We blew off the "survey" and were not taking their calls. They finally gave up. What do you think of the wristband keys? I love them. It's genius.

I love the wristband keys - especially when a beach and a pool are involved. I do wish they also worked for entry into the parking garage as well - one less key to keep up with. Perhaps that is a future upgrade.

bamasteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is what it comes down to - whether someone finds attending an update to be a fun, entertaining use of a couple of hours on vacation to earn a few bucks, or not. Neither choice is better than the other.

What I don't think is worth it is putting any stock in the stories they tell or the tactics they use - even if I decided an update was worth my time, giving a second thought to what the sales staff told me is not worth any additional mental energy.

Yeah, my wife hates them - of course this time I was with my daughter and they offered me dinner and told me they would let me know about all their new programs. So, against my better judgment, I said yes. They really didn't tell me much about this new program "blue thread" but rather spent most of the time talking down my current VIP owned product. Other thing I though unprofessional was when I was asked to sign for the update - they asked me to sign something that said I was going for a 1 hour presentation and that I must bring my spouse. The desk agent said - just ignore that - it's for a 15 minute survey and your wife doesn't have to be there. When I signed out of the "survey" they were about to also give me a dinner voucher for less than verbally promised at the desk. Funny - they do pay attention to sales contracts language however.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked in at Smoky Mountain. The latest story from the parking pass Czar was that if you did not go to the update and 'accept' the new 'privileges' you would not be grandfathered in! Anyone else hear this more than likely lie?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@SNA27 tuggers’ thoughts about sales presentation. Maybe I will unban myself and go the two hours for free parking and breakfast.

I plan just to read tug and blow off the sales staff the entire two hours.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the wristband keys - especially when a beach and a pool are involved. I do wish they also worked for entry into the parking garage as well - one less key to keep up with. Perhaps that is a future upgrade.

The wristband key is how we got into the garage when we stayed in August. It only worked on the North Tower garage though. We could not park in the South Tower garage.

I would love the wristband keys if it was easier to take them on and off your wrist. I don't want to wear the darn thing 24/7, so I didn't put it on at all, just carried it around in my pocket like any other card.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked in at Smoky Mountain. The latest story from the parking pass Czar was that if you did not go to the update and 'accept' the new 'privileges' you would not be grandfathered in! Anyone else hear this more than likely lie?

I just heard that at Fairfield Glade AND GSL (although from the parking pass guy and not the salesperson.)

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
$120 for a week’s parking is outrageous. When did this scam start and by whom? Wyndham no doubt.
Wyndham does not own the garage and has no control over how much is charged for parking. It really helps keep the maintenance fees low, when we don't have to pay for other people's parking, Most, if not all of the urban locations are like that.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Generally speaking .... any large multi-story parking garage in an urban location is going to be significant drag on maintenance fees when you consider the impact of the fixed costs - property taxes on the building, maintenance, and insurance.

If parking is a paved parking lot that is going to have a much lower tax assessment (and cost) vs a parking structure.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
@SNA27 tuggers’ thoughts about sales presentation. Maybe I will unban myself and go the two hours for free parking and breakfast.

I plan just to read tug and blow off the sales staff the entire two hours.
2 hours of your life you can never get back! On the bright side you may find a nugget of truth beneath all the lies. Please report back to all Tuggers what info you may find useful. Thanks in advance for taking one for the team.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
$120 for a week’s parking is outrageous. When did this scam start and by whom? Wyndham no doubt.
One way to beat the high price parking at National Harbor and at other high priced parking resorts, park in longterm parking at the airport. For National Harbor I park at DCA and take the Metro to King Street Station. From there take the free National Harbor shuttle from the Metro Station to National Harbor. A vehicle isn't needed when visiting the DC area. I've done this in Chicago too.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I was at National Harbor late last year and took the Metro to King St but I took a regular bus from there to National Harbor. I was not aware of a free shuttle. I'm going again later this year so I'd love to hear more details about this shuttle. Who runs it, and where do you get it. Is it a Wyndham shuttle between National Harbor and Old Town Alexandria?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I looked into this last year when we had a booking at Alexandria but there was a significant points discount at National Harbor and I was considering changing to NH, and as best I could tell the free shuttle was discontinued at some point in the past and replaced by the public bus route.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
Maybe they only had a shuttle in operation during the construction work that was happening with the Metro. I seem to remember discussion in this forum some time ago about the King St Station being closed for an extended time.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

I'd prefer if they just used a mobile app like Hilton for entry/exit to the rooms - having to carry a key around these days is so yesterday's tech. Same with parking garage entry/exit. Even better if they also had smartwatch support. :cool:

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
True, but if it works like Marriott's, I would end up with a physical key anyway. And, for those of us with kids, I would prefer not to mess with their phone and several don't even have them. I will agree though, it will be nice when that tech is more reliable and standard.