• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescission period in my state is shorter than where purchased

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hello, I want to rescind a HGVC timeshare (points) we purchased on Dec 2 in Orlando. Florida allows 10 days but there is an addendum in our agreement that shows the rescission period in Our state of Delaware is 5 days (today). Which time will be honored. The fine print says that if the rescission period in the purchasers state is more than the state of the sale, the longer period applies. It doesn’t say which period of time the purchaser has if their state’s rescission period is shorter. Any advice is appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If more than one state's law applies, you would get the longer of the two. In your case you would have 10 days.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'd rescind regardless. If you want out, time's passing you by. Send your letter today.

Dave

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'd rescind regardless. If you want out, time's passing you by. Send your letter today.

Dave
It actually is 5 business days for Delaware so five days would be Monday 12/9. My plan is to fax the rescission on Monday and send a hard copy overnight as well.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It actually is 5 business days for Delaware so five days would be Monday 12/9. My plan is to fax the rescission on Monday and send a hard copy overnight as well.

Just be sure to follow the directions in the information they gave you to the letter. Send the hard copy Return Receipt Requested, so you have verification that they received it. The postmarked date it was sent is the timestamp they use for rescission. Good luck!

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Does your purchase contract specifically say that fax is an acceptable means of submitting your rescission? All you need to do is mail your rescission letter by certified mail so that you’ll have a receipt from the post office showing that you rescinded within the time period allowed. The date you mail it is key. The date they receive it has no bearing on the rescission.

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I was only planning to fax as an additional safeguard. It sounds like I do not need to overnight the cancellation. My paperwork says to send it certified mail.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I was only planning to fax as an additional safeguard. It sounds like I do not need to overnight the cancellation. My paperwork says to send it certified mail.

If the paperwork says to send it by certified mail, that is the correct answer. Besides, it gives you proof of mailing. Do it asap.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

Also, make sure that all parties who signed the original purchase sign the rescission letter. There should be further detailed instructions so make sure you follow those.

The other piece of advice we here on TUG like to give to people in your situations is to watch out for any unknown phone calls coming your way. Sometimes after the rescission letter is received, people from the resort might try to phone you and convince you to change your mind. They might sweeten the offer or even give you threats (albeit idle threats) that you will face serious legal and/or financial consequences if you rescind.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
She won't be able to get it postmarked until Monday.

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
If the paperwork says to send it by certified mail, that is the correct answer. Besides, it gives you proof of mailing. Do it asap.

I just shared this advice with my husband. Our salesperson swapped cell phone numbers with him...

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I just shared this advice with my husband. Our salesperson swapped cell phone numbers with him...
Your husband should block that number.

To track how much TS owners saved, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, I want to rescind a HGVC timeshare (points) we purchased on Dec 2 in Orlando. Florida allows 10 days but there is an addendum in our agreement that shows the rescission period in Our state of Delaware is 5 days (today). Which time will be honored. The fine print says that if the rescission period in the purchasers state is more than the state of the sale, the longer period applies. It doesn’t say which period of time the purchaser has if their state’s rescission period is shorter. Any advice is appreciated.

The law of the state in which the contract was executed is all that really matters. A developer can attempt to get cute by contriving their own separate "addendum", but any such lame effort cannot and will not supersede applicable state law. Where you live matters not one bit anyhow. For example, someone residing entirely outside the U.S., even if they reside somewhere with no contract rescission laws or provisions, would still have available to them the rescission rights provided by U.S. state law (Florida, in this particular instance under discussion) where the contract was actually executed.

Get your rescission postmarked and on its' merry way if not done already, as you have only two days remaining to exercise your rescission rights as provided by applicable state (Florida) law.

I would personally expect such slimy sales weasel behavior from Westgate or Wyndham, but I am frankly a bit surprised to see it from HGVC. I suspect that this might actually be an effort by local rogue sales weasels; I cannot imagine that Hilton would ever knowingly allow or tolerate their sales force taking such egregious and inappropriate liberties with state law(s).

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
We hope your rescission and deposit refund were successful. To track how much TS owners saved on TUG, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/retail TS, there is no shaming.

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Your husband should block that number.

To track how much TS owners saved, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming.

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

Our purchase was a little over $15,000 for 4800 pts on odd years. They threw in 9600 points.

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
We hope your rescission and deposit refund were successful. To track how much TS owners saved on TUG, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of tuggers initially bought developer/retail TS, there is no shaming.

I sent the rescission certified mail within the time period and received an acknowledgment of receipt. The email said that it would be sent to the site where it was purchased for review and refund. I haven’t heard anything else. I’m waiting to see if they refund my deposit w/I the 15 day period,

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent the rescission certified mail within the time period and received an acknowledgment of receipt. The email said that it would be sent to the site where it was purchased for review and refund. I haven’t heard anything else. I’m waiting to see if they refund my deposit w/I the 15 day period,

Keep in mind that they do not have to acknowledge receipt, but they do have to act on it if it was Postmarked within the legal rescinding time frame. With any luck you will be fully refunded within 45 days, and maybe even sooner.

pammiet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Keep in mind that they do not have to acknowledge receipt, but they do have to act on it if it was Postmarked within the legal rescinding time frame. With any luck you will be fully refunded within 45 days, and maybe even sooner.

We received our refund two days ago, no hassle.