• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 Day Starwood Preference Period with II

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
During this "Preference" Period, are Starwood owners able to see everything available (larger units than the one they are trading)? For example,will a 1BR(sleep 4) Starwood resort ONLY trade for another 1BR (sleep 4) Starwood? Thanks...just trying to figure out this complicated system :)

Carolyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Carolyn - have you had a chance to read the Starwood & II article in the Owner Resources sticky?

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read the whole thing and it doens't really answer the question. It just says "not to expect a silver studio to pull a 2br platinum". While I'm sure that's unreasonable to expect, are there instances where this happens? For example, is it possible for a 1br gold WMH to pull a 2br SVV platinum?

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read the whole thing and it doens't really answer the question. It just says "not to expect a silver studio to pull a 2br platinum". While I'm sure that's unreasonable to expect, are there instances where this happens? For example, is it possible for a 1br gold WMH to pull a 2br SVV platinum?

i pulled a 2 br l/o at wlm for feb break with the small i br at wmh fall season. great trade. probably can't go but i got a great trade.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis

island22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolyn,
Yes, I have used a banked week with II (banked 1BR WKV-gold season) and traded into a 2BR at WKORV-N for this December. Granted it was the larger 1BR of my 2BR lock off that I own at WKV. But still, I am very happy with this trade.

I was able to get this during one of the bulk deposits for WKORV that was listed in II back in the spring.
So, yes, this can be done, I am guessing based on the trading power of the week banked with II.
WKV has proved to be a good trader, or I have just gotten lucky and gotten a good week assigned by Starwood when I banked.
Hope this helps with your question.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am specifically asking about the II 3 day Starwood Preference. I know we can see other Starwood properties 3 days before other II members...but can we see all size units? For example, has anyone used a banked 1 BR (sleep 4) Starwood and traded for a 2 BR (sleep 8) Starwood online during this 3 day period? Thanks.

Carolyn

Yes - Here is an example from the link I posted - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=560851&postcount=21

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This is the part I was referring to:

Do not expect size upgrades unless you are within the 60 day reservation window. This is the “Flex Change” period. Any deposit will draw anything available irrespective of the unit size you deposit. A Guest Suite will pull a 2 bedroom if it’s available. Pending Requests cannot be made in this window. Simply call and ask for availability. If you like it, take it.

YMMV - Often a studio will not "see" a larger unit that a 1 bdm. can "see." It varies from resort to resort as well.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am specifically asking about the II 3 day Starwood Preference. I know we can see other Starwood properties 3 days before other II members...but can we see all size units? For example, has anyone used a banked 1 BR (sleep 4) Starwood and traded for a 2 BR (sleep 8) Starwood online during this 3 day period? Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

The straightforward answer to your question is that you will not see ALL sized units at ALL resorts. You will see what your deposit will trade for. (unless you are within the 60 day window).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 3 day priority doesn't have anything to do with size. If you have a strong trader, you will see all sizes at most if not all Starwood resorts. A weak trader will only see smaller units or fewer units. This goes for the 3 day priority and past the priority date too. Size doesn't matter. :)

Katherine

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 3 day priority doesn't have anything to do with size. If you have a strong trader, you will see all sizes at most if not all Starwood resorts. A weak trader will only see smaller units or fewer units. This goes for the 3 day priority and past the priority date too. Size doesn't matter. :)

Katherine

Except for Studios.....They only seem to trade for Studios, unless the resort does not have studios (like WKV). Then it can only see the small one bedroom.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
my small 1 br's at wkv and sdo can pull up 2 br's.

That's what we are saying - 1 bdms. can see larger units, but studios usually cannot. Your smaller 1 bdm. is not a studio - it has a separate bedroom.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except for Studios.....They only seem to trade for Studios, unless the resort does not have studios (like WKV). Then it can only see the small one bedroom.

I traded my studio side of SDO for a 2BR LO at Kierland for next March!!

Kath

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep - The SDO 2 bdm. = two connecting 1 bdms.

floorplan_2bedlo.gif

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is, in my opinion, one of the not-so-hidden secret benefits of buying SDO, WMH, etc. The small side trades great in II in part, I believe, because it is rated as a 1-bed unit and not a studio. This is worth a bit more in MFs and purchase price when comparing with other lower cost units, especially if you intend to trade it.

I think it's very ironic, because it means that at times summer WMH small 1-beds trade better than a Hawaii studio (see T&Rs post!).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point! I fogot about that sizing benefit of SDO. Is SBP's split 2 1-bedrooms too?

K

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good point! I fogot about that sizing benefit of SDO. Is SBP's split 2 1-bedrooms too?

The floorplan looks like 2, 1-bed units = 2 bed LO.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had all one bedrooms (small and large sides) for all my II trades, until my last deposit. I got a WKORV studio. I didn't try and change it, I wanted to see what I could do with it. Apparently, not too much. I am really surprised that it can't even see a one bedroom during the Starwood preference.

So the lesson here is, take a silver week WMH before a studio at any other resort.