• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 and 4 Rule

birddog31

Reaction score
Is this a new trend? Can only stay at a resort without owning at that resort 1 in 4 years or 1 in 3 years? Really devalues timeshares in general.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Nope, not new. Not all resorts have this.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
It does seem to be getting more popular particularly in high demand areas or at high demand resorts. The 1 in 3 or 4 rule only (so far) applies for exchanging. We have gotten around it a few times by getting an RCI Extra Vacation or Last Call at resorts with that rule. We stayed 5 years in a row at a popular Williamsburg resort with a 1 in 4 rule many years ago.

~Diane

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a new trend? Can only stay at a resort without owning at that resort 1 in 4 years or 1 in 3 years? Really devalues timeshares in general.

Not familiar with it but it would actually increase the value of owning high demand weeks rather than a decrease in value. It would lower the value of worthless weeks but since they are already worthless not sure it matters. Dump them when you can.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Resorts that are in active sales are more likely to have the 1 in x rule. It is to overcome the objection, why would I buy when I could exchange in?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts that are in active sales are more likely to have the 1 in x rule. It is to overcome the objection, why would I buy when I could exchange in?

So this "1 in x rule" is of developer origin, as opposed to being of exchange company origin? Not exchangers, so dunno. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is exchange companies executing developer restrictions.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent a summer week at Smuggs on exchange in 2014 which I believe is 1-4. Then in summer of 2016 a last minute exchange opened and RCI let me confirm it. I started to doubt and called RCI and resort. RCI rep had no idea what I was talking about, resort told me if they allowed it, then they are ok with it. Most likely it was dropped because it was extreme last minute.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I spent a summer week at Smuggs on exchange in 2014 which I believe is 1-4. Then in summer of 2016 a last minute exchange opened and RCI let me confirm it. I started to doubt and called RCI and resort. RCI rep had no idea what I was talking about, resort told me if they allowed it, then they are ok with it. Most likely it was dropped because it was extreme last minute.
With Smuggs, it matters which weeks you're there as to whether it qualifies for 1:4. We usually go for April break (low season) and it doesn't count. Seems to be summer and ski season weeks that "matter." :)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Smuggs, it matters which weeks you're there as to whether it qualifies for 1:4. We usually go for April break (low season) and it doesn't count. Seems to be summer and ski season weeks that "matter." :)

None of my business certainly, but I gotta ask anyhow --- what do you / can you do in Vermont during its' "mud season"?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None of my business certainly, but I gotta ask anyhow --- what do you / can you do in Vermont during its' "mud season"?
We go to Burlington to ECHO aquarium. My husband takes an afternoon for Boyden Valley Winery and wine tasting. We go over to Stowe for a day to window shop. There are several cheese/maple syrup/chocolate places we enjoy. We use the pool once or twice a day. Board games, books, general laziness. :) Vermont in mud season is fine by me!

Edited to add: Kids reminded me of our "Waterbury Run": Cold Hollow Cider Mill for doughnuts, Cabot Annex for cheese and Lake Champlain Chocolate, Green Mountain Coffee Company in Waterbury proper. And they also added Montpelier. The Vermont History Museum there is always fun.

We tend to make our own adventures, as you can see! Simple tastes, but not hard to please. ;)

Last edited:

birddog31

Reaction score
Has anyone ever booked a place and paid. Arrive to check in and they refuse because of this rule?

(We used a get-a-away there in the fall. Paid instead of using points.)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to Burlington to ECHO aquarium. My husband takes an afternoon for Boyden Valley Winery and wine tasting. We go over to Stowe for a day to window shop. There are several cheese/maple syrup/chocolate places we enjoy. We use the pool once or twice a day. Board games, books, general laziness. :) Vermont in mud season is fine by me!

Edited to add: Kids reminded me of our "Waterbury Run": Cold Hollow Cider Mill for doughnuts, Cabot Annex for cheese and Lake Champlain Chocolate, Green Mountain Coffee Company in Waterbury proper. And they also added Montpelier. The Vermont History Museum there is always fun.

We tend to make our own adventures, as you can see! Simple tastes, but not hard to please. ;)

Vermont Tourism definitely needs to find you and hire you! Never have I seen such positive enthusiasm for "mud season". Good on ya! :thumbup:

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vermont Tourism definitely needs to find you and hire you. Never have I seen such positive enthusiasm for "mud season". Good on ya! :thumbup:
It's all in how you look at things, theo dear. :) I choose to embrace the positive. I work at least 50 hours a week (I am blessed to have two jobs I love) so vacation is time to be lazy.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Has anyone ever booked a place and paid. Arrive to check in and they refuse because of this rule?

Which resort? Most let RCI system police the 1 in x. Some manually double check and the reservation could be cancelled at any time if it is caught. They could technically deny you at check for violating. Some don't count getaways. Some count the 1 in x by the whole resort group while others go by just the single resort code.

birddog31

Reaction score
Which resort? Most let RCI system police the 1 in x. Some manually double check and the reservation could be cancelled at any time if it is caught. They could technically deny you at check for violating. Some don't count getaways. Some count the 1 in x by the whole resort group while others go by just the single resort code.
Massanutten

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's all in how you look at things, theo dear. :) I choose to embrace the positive. I work at least 50 hours a week (I am blessed to have two jobs I love) so vacation is time to be lazy.

I'm pleased and proud that you're a Mainer --- and your husband and kids are all obviously very lucky people. :thumbup:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
  • Non-RCI Members or guests of non-RCI members, please be advised that you, or anyone in your party, can only stay a combined total of 2 weeks (or utilize 2 units) per 12 month period within the family of Massanutten Resorts.
  • Non-RCI Member restricted resorts are: 1932 Presidential Resort, 2293 Eagle Trace at Massanutten,1645 Massanutten's Shenandoah Villas, 2650 Eagle Trace at Killy Court or 3640 The Summit at Massanutten. 5711 Woodstone at Massanutten and C152 Regal Vistas at Massanutten and 0174 Massanutten Mountainside Villas.

The above is from the RCI website. I'd assume you ARE an Rci member, right? If that's so, then if I'm reading this correctly, it doesn't apply. HOWEVER...if it were me, I'd call the resort to double check.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At Massanutten each section is separate. So if you book Regal Vista, then next time book Summit or Woodstone. Generally if Rci let you book, you shoukd be fine. They wont cancel you when you arrive.

birddog31

Reaction score
The lady that booked us said we're good this time but told us after this the rule wiuld apply. Just thought I'd ask the question. Don't want a check in nightmare on my hands.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
You forgot one of the best places in Vermont. Ben and Jerry's

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does seem to be getting more popular particularly in high demand areas or at high demand resorts. The 1 in 3 or 4 rule only (so far) applies for exchanging. We have gotten around it a few times by getting an RCI Extra Vacation or Last Call at resorts with that rule. We stayed 5 years in a row at a popular Williamsburg resort with a 1 in 4 rule many years ago.

~Diane

Hi Diane

I'm sorry to inform you that it's not entirely true. We also thought we could get around the 1:4 rule by using the RCI extra vacation option, but we couldn't. Initially we exchanged info a resort with the 1:4 and that went fine as it was the first time. A year or two later we tried again, and ended up with the vacation being cancelled by the resort - this was IIRC 2-3 months before checkin. Then we tried buying the extra vacation at the same resort - that also ended up being cancelled by the resort :(

Since we already had airfare I ended up booking a different hotel in the same region - this was last year.

I know that I have in the past used the extra vacation option to bypass the 1:4 rule but after speaking with RCI (not the regular CSR) she told me that its actually up to the resort how strict they want to enforce the 1:4 rule.

So using the extra vacation option to bypass the rule do come with some risk.

Regards

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes they can, but my guess is that they cancell the reservation before checkin.

+1

birddog31

Reaction score
Yes they can, but my guess is that they cancell the reservation before checkin.

+1
The lady on the phone who booked it said we're good this time and then explained the rule to us. We'll see I guess....

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Hi Diane

I'm sorry to inform you that it's not entirely true. We also thought we could get around the 1:4 rule by using the RCI extra vacation option, but we couldn't. Initially we exchanged info a resort with the 1:4 and that went fine as it was the first time. A year or two later we tried again, and ended up with the vacation being cancelled by the resort - this was IIRC 2-3 months before checkin. Then we tried buying the extra vacation at the same resort - that also ended up being cancelled by the resort :(

Since we already had airfare I ended up booking a different hotel in the same region - this was last year.

I know that I have in the past used the extra vacation option to bypass the 1:4 rule but after speaking with RCI (not the regular CSR) she told me that its actually up to the resort how strict they want to enforce the 1:4 rule.

So using the extra vacation option to bypass the rule do come with some risk.

Regards

As I said, it was many years ago (maybe +20?) that we stayed for 5 years in a row in Williamsburg (The Powhatan). Then around 2005 I booked 3 units for the same week at a 1:4 resort in Florida for an extended family vacation -maybe they counted it as 1 stay. I guess we were lucky.

Sorry your vacation plans didn't work out. If I ever try it again I will be sure to check with an RCI rep to avoid getting a vacation cancelled.

~Diane