• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2 questions

jberndt10

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are attending a DVC presentation as a fact finding mission. 2 things I’d like to know is how hard is it to get a resort at 7 months and secondly when we buy resale and decide if we want the developer basic package 50 points (from what I understand) is that a set price, and tied to a specific resort? Ok a third, what good does that basic package do me?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We are attending a DVC presentation as a fact finding mission. 2 things I’d like to know is how hard is it to get a resort at 7 months and secondly when we buy resale and decide if we want the developer basic package 50 points (from what I understand) is that a set price, and tied to a specific resort? Ok a third, what good does that basic package do me?

7 months availibility would depend upon many actors. Location, unit size, length of stay and date of stay.

25pts was the minimum buy in for all resorts as a current dvc member except copper creek which was 50 pts. Price is set and the only discount you will get will be whatever special dvc is running.

If you buy direct you will be a blue card carrying member. That would entitle you to dvc discounts, ability to go to the dvc parties held at certain parks during certain times of year, annual pass discounts and be able to book member cruises on disney cruise line. There are a few others like using your points to cruise, adventures by disney and few other "perks" but they have a poor exchange of points to price ratio.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Hi jberndt10,

I agree with all frank808 said.

I've been a member since DVC first started and as a rule do not have much trouble booking a non-home resort at 7 months with some exceptions. It's a supply/demand thing. Trying to get a Studio at VGF at 7 months? A Standard View room at BWV? A GV at a resort that has only 6 total villas at 7 months? The cheapest points rooms at Aulani at 7 months? Booking Grand Cal Villas at 7 months is also difficult though I know folks that have been successful at doing this. If you are booking a peak demand time (the point charts will tell you when this is for the most part as those are the most expensive times, like Christmas to New Years and the week before and after Easter Sunday. The first 2 weeks of December are also super popular with members to book though they are NOT the premier season.), especially if you are wanting a low supply room at a peak time, it can be very difficult to impossible to book at a non-home resort in the above scenarios.

I mentioned I was generally successful booking at non-home resorts at the 7 month window and that is true. I call or get online right at 7 months as a rule, and if the villa/location I want is not available, I immediately get on the waitlist. AND I try to book somewhere else, or a different category room that IS available as a backup. You can have the w/l set up to where if it comes through for you they will automatically cancel the other rez and book your desired waitlisted room. This has worked very well for me over 20 years.

I always tell people to BUY WHERE YOU WOULD BE HAPPY STAYING. I think it is a huge mistake to buy what is cheapest if one would never plan on staying there. Can't count the members I've talked to that did this and lived to regret it big time.

The only other thing I would add to what frank808 said is that if one buys direct there is financing available. Buying a timeshare becomes a MUCH less wise decision if one has to finance, but to do so for a short time works for many folks. With DVC I know there is no penalty for early payoff. If you can pay cash, then this of course will not apply to you. Happy hunting! I loooooove my DVC membership!

Oh, as an aside, I have MUCH, much less difficulty booking my DVC membership at 7 months than I do trying to book January or Feb. at my MVC resort on Maui at 13 months. MUCH,

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spend time getting to know the system. At 7 months getting some things is not impossible but close. Don't count on the cheaper options at 7 months or the most difficult to get like VGF or BCV. Put another way, don't buy SSR expecting to get AKV value or standard at VGF, BWV or BLT. But if you're OK at SSR & OKW and want to try other things over time, you'll do well owning SSR or similar. BLT is the next best/cheapest options for many. You can buy 25 points to get qualified though you still want be able to use points for cruises or similar cash type options but who cares, they are not worth the paper they're printed on. CCV will be 50 points minimum but all else is 25. It's almost always best to get the same as your home resort and it has to be the same UY at 25 points.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
It's almost always best to get the same as your home resort and it has to be the same UY at 25 points.

Absolutely agree! I say never do an add-on at a resort different than your home resort UNLESS it's enough points (in the add-on) to actually book something you would want.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree! I say never do an add-on at a resort different than your home resort UNLESS it's enough points (in the add-on) to actually book something you would want.
As a rule but I think there are exceptions where other is reasonable. Maybe it's a resort you intend to add more points at later or the chances of getting what you own otherwise are slim to almost none like VGF AND one will get significant benefit from being qualified short term. IF one does their homework, they'd know that up front and buy enough points for a high demand option such as VGF up front.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sept to mid-Jan or so is called Fall Frenzy. Book early at your home resort and do not count on switching out for those stays. For summer stays or other low demand times, and for 1BR stays (rather than for studios), there will usually be options at 7 months out. But discounted ("value" or "standard") accommodations and near-park resorts will always tend to be higher demand.

Disney doesn't negotiate on price. To "add-on" to your resale purchase, you would have to get the same UY month (do some research on the Disboards for understanding use year). You can typically pick the resort but some are really sold out and a few will not even add you to the waiting list.

The short answer on the basic (direct) package is that it gives you access to the AP discount, which is the only significant financial discount for DVC members. But you do get access to some other perks that may be worthwhile to some and insignificant to others.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
developer basic package 50 points... what good does that... do me?
dvc discounts, ability to go to the dvc parties held at certain parks during certain times of year, annual pass discounts and be able to book member cruises on disney cruise line. There are a few others like using your points to cruise, adventures by disney and few other "perks" but they have a poor exchange of points to price ratio.
Unfortunately, the member benefits are subject to change at any time without notice. Over the years, member benefits have been reduced more often than improved. This should be considered before making the added purchase.
BUY WHERE YOU WOULD BE HAPPY STAYING.
Totally agree! :thumbup: