• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

20 Tourist Traps Worth Your Money

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
20 Tourtist Traps Worth Your Money
By Lauren Monitz, GoBankingRates.com/ Special to USA Today/ Travel/ usatoday.com

There's a fine line between must-see attraction and overrated tourist trap. Some of the most iconic landmarks in the world are overrun and overcrowded simply due to their popularity. But that's just it — they're popular for a reason. GoBankingRates.com has chosen 20 tourist attractions that don't fly under the radar by any means, but if you plan a visit in the offseason and know how to avoid getting ripped off, they're highly worth a visit.

Looking for good family vacation ideas? GoBankingRates.com chose 25 spots that kids and parents can enjoy together:...."

636568159943562535-01-iStock-458702313.jpg

(Photo: KingWu, Getty Images)

Richard

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Great list, Richard. Thanks! I've been to every one of the "Tourist Traps" mentioned and agree wholeheartedly with the list as all are well worth visiting. I would object, however, to USAToday's use of the term "tourist trap". A tourist trap--to me, anyway--is a place that's unreasonably expensive, is captive in the sense that once you're there you're stuck even if you hate it, and grossly under-delivers on both its promise and its premise. In that sense, there is no way the following places should be considered tourist traps:

• The Grand Canyon. Ridiculous to call this a tourist trap. It's one of the 7 Modern Wonders Of The World, and too huge to really grasp even when you're standing on the North Rim and trying to take it all in.
  • The Statue Of Liberty. Where's the trap? If there is one iconic symbol of our country--even more than the U.S. Capitol or the Lincoln Memorial--it's the Statue Of Liberty. And its story, inevitably linked to nearby Ellis Island, reminds us of our nation's best impulses or, as Lincoln famously described it, "the better angels of our nature".
  • The Las Vegas Strip. How can the very thing that defines a city be considered a tourist trap (unless the whole city is one)? The Strip is Las Vegas, with all its glitz, showmanship, and over-the-top entertainment. So what? It's Vegas! You know what you're getting, you know what to expect, and it delivers in spectacular fashion. It's not for everybody (and I, personally, can only take it in small doses), but it's loaded with great restaurants, great entertainment, and the most glamorous place to lose your money in the world.
  • DisneyWorld. It's not a tourist trap for the same reason Vegas is not. Is it expensive? Exorbitantly so. Can it feel overcrowded? Absolutely, especially on holiday weeks and most weekends. But it's an unforgettable experience for kids from 1 to 92--and most definitely worth the price at least once.
  • Fenway Park. America's oldest ballpark is an icon of the American Pastime. It's quirky. It's funky. It's small by modern standards. But it has such great personality! The Green Monster in left field. The Triangle. Pesky's Pole. The Lone Red Seat. And there are no fans like Boston fans. It's a great experience.
  • The Smithsonian. What? Tourist trap? What were they thinking? The Smithsonian tells our story--a precious national resource so that we never forget who we were, and, therefore, who we are.
  • Wall Drug. Okay, this one might qualify. But it's just a ton of fun. You begin seeing the iconic billboards on Interstate 90 some 300 miles before you get there. And what was once a small-town drug store has ballooned into a full city block. But they still offer free ice water to weary travelers, and though their shelves are filled with kitsch (ever seen a Jackalope before?), it's well worth making the stop for an hour or so on your way to or from the Badlands and Mt, Rushmore in South Dakota.
  • The River Walk. Ever since it was first developed as a WPA project in the late 1930's, the River Walk has served as a model for downtown redevelopment for cities across America (and elsewhere). It's beautifully done, wonderfully maintained, and serves as the heart of San Antonio.
  • Central Park and Times Square. Yes, New York City is so much more than these two iconic venues. But it is also true that New York City would not be New York City without them.
All in all, it's a great list--and none of the venues mentioned should be missed if any of my fellow TUGgers are ever in close proximity to these iconic places.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Only 15 for me. That I remember anyway. May have been to a couple more when I was a kid.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the definition of a tourist trap involved spending money. The Smithsonians are free. Likewise, Cental Park is free. Just took my kids to the Riverwalk last week. And it was still free.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would object, however, to USAToday's use of the term "tourist trap". A tourist trap--to me, anyway--is a place that's unreasonably expensive, is captive in the sense that once you're there you're stuck even if you hate it,

You summed it up nicely.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the definition of a tourist trap involved spending money. The Smithsonians are free. Likewise, Cental Park is free. Just took my kids to the Riverwalk last week. And it was still free.

For me, a tourist trap is something that really doesn't have a lot of history or cultural significance and is specifically designed and built to cater to tourists. I live in DC, the biggest tourist attractions are the Smithsonian Museums and Monuments. I don't consider them tourist traps at all. What I consider tourist traps are the for profit tourist attractions meant to try to get some spill over tourist dollars, like Madame Tussads, the Spy Museum, the Crime & Punishment Museum, and stuff like that.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, a tourist trap is something that really doesn't have a lot of history or cultural significance and is specifically designed and built to cater to tourists. I live in DC, the biggest tourist attractions are the Smithsonian Museums and Monuments. I don't consider them tourist traps at all. What I consider tourist traps are the for profit tourist attractions meant to try to get some spill over tourist dollars, like Madame Tussads, the Spy Museum, the Crime & Punishment Museum, and stuff like that.
I agree, for example Wisconsin Dells

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have added the "Independence Mall area of Philadelphia". Independence Hall plus the Betsy Ross house is the story of America. And its FLAG. And people like Ben Franklin and other fore-fathers of our land.

All operated by the US Park Service and FREE.