• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] [Access Travel Network] RCI scam [merged]

crmcknight

Reaction score
:confused: Hi, I'm new to this timeshare stuff and not to thrilled about having one anymore, but I had someone call me from Access Travel Network telling me that I had 12 extra getaway weeks with RCI. She told me that my exchange fee would be $149 per week and if I'd sign over these 12 weeks and pay the total exchange fee for all 12 weeks( around $1,700) Then she could promise me that i would recieve $1,500 per week in return( $18,000) when the company she works for books my weeks for the upcoming NASCAR race in Daytona. I can't help but feel that this is a SCAM. They stated that they were licensed, insured, and bonded but it does't add up to me. PLEASE someone help!!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I can't help but feel that this is a SCAM.
Of course you are right! Often unscrupulous outfits throw out the RCI name to lure you into their sales pitch. Don't fall for it!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If it walks like a duck...

Scammers try that kind of stunt all the time. Or they'll call you out of the blue and say they have a buyer for your timeshare -- if you'll only put up $3000+ of your own money in advance as security, or administrative fees, or processing fees or deposits, or whatever else they want to call it. And of course, once they have your money they're long gone.

If you have a timeshare you don't want, check further around TUG to learn how to go about trying to legally dispose of it. If that doesn't work, learn how to make the most of what you own -- without getting ripped off.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lemme see now, if they can rent those weeks they say they have control of for $1500 each (every year), WHY would they sell 12 of them to you for $1700? If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

And if you REALLY want rid of the TS you own, list it in the bargain deals here on TUG and it will disappear. And costs nothing to list. Beats the sox off all those outfits that call you every day wanting upfront money.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If you didnt see enough already to pursuade you to avoid them, add the fact that their website was created March 15th and their website fails to provide their address or phone number. They don't want to be bothered with upset people calling them.

clgdtulsa

Reaction score
I just received the exact same offer as crmcknight did. I get the same feeling all of you have about if being a scam, but does any one actually know of a fraudulent case on this? or are you all just opining from instinct (again, my instict is the same, i'm just looking for an informed opinion).

thank you!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I just received the exact same offer as crmcknight did. I get the same feeling all of you have about if being a scam, but does any one actually know of a fraudulent case on this? or are you all just opining from instinct (again, my instict is the same, i'm just looking for an informed opinion).

thank you!

The fact that this offer violates RCI's terms and conditions, clearly makes it a an unsupportable offer.

geekette

Reaction score

thank you!

why would anyone other than RCI call to tell you that you "suddenly" have 12 getaway weeks? And then want money FROM YOU for them? Wouldn't RCI just keep them and rent them out instead of looping you into the whole thing?

makes no sense. hope no one falls for it, I'd rather not hear of a case of fraud on it!

BayAreaKid67

Reaction score
[shill!]

Im not usually one to respond to forum threads but I had to set the record straight. I was approached by travel access network in october concerning these extra vacation getaways. I too was suspicious thinking that what they said made sense but was "too good to be true." but in speaking with my agent he named off a couple companies that he said he did business with. It just so happened that one company he named they did business with was a company my nieces husband worked for. So I called him to verify being he worked under the VP of marketing in north America being he could get me answers. Well behold to my surprise he did verify that this company was under contract and that Access Travel network did do the corporate lodging for the company. So I decided to go forward with the program and I can tel you I did receive the cashiers check as I was promised. It did take close to 90 days(which they stipulated) but I have nothing but a great experience. I have referred them to my brother as well as a couple people from my church and2 of them have been paid and 2 others are in the process of doing it now. I was skeptical being I had gone with a listing company and had $ taken from me and without the verification from my nephew would have not done this. Most of these companies are ones to definitely be aware of but I have to say this company followed thru. Now as most will bash a company without knowing the facts (as I see on this thread no one has actually gone thru with this company and NOT receive the services- they are throwing around assumptions that this is just another company up to old tricks) make sure your decisions are made from what people know for sure not for what apple may think will happen. For once there is a company doing as they said they will and they should be applauded . Especially in an industry where most that approach you will be doing it to only take advantage!

Last edited by a moderator:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Shill Alert

Im not usually one to respond to forum threads but I had to set the record straight. I was approached by travel access network in october concerning these extra vacation getaways. I too was suspicious thinking that what they said made sense but was "too good to be true." but in speaking with my agent he named off a couple companies that he said he did business with. It just so happened that one company he named they did business with was a company my nieces husband worked for. So I called him to verify being he worked under the VP of marketing in north America being he could get me answers. Well behold to my surprise he did verify that this company was under contract and that Access Travel network did do the corporate lodging for the company. So I decided to go forward with the program and I can tel you I did receive the cashiers check as I was promised. It did take close to 90 days(which they stipulated) but I have nothing but a great experience. I have referred them to my brother as well as a couple people from my church and2 of them have been paid and 2 others are in the process of doing it now. I was skeptical being I had gone with a listing company and had $ taken from me and without the verification from my nephew would have not done this. Most of these companies are ones to definitely be aware of but I have to say this company followed thru. Now as most will bash a company without knowing the facts (as I see on this thread no one has actually gone thru with this company and NOT receive the services- they are throwing around assumptions that this is just another company up to old tricks) make sure your decisions are made from what people know for sure not for what apple may think will happen. For once there is a company doing as they said they will and they should be applauded . Especially in an industry where most that approach you will be doing it to only take advantage!

Not believable at all. You were supposedly contacted in October and at that time this company was simply a figment of someone's imagination. Their website was created in March 2012.

An obvious shill, all the more reason to avoid this company. Posting lies about themselves.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
k0580379.jpg

LET THE SHILL BELL RING!

BayAreaKid67

Reaction score
So because they revamped a website in March makes them a company that is scamming people. Hmmmmif you say so. Just getting across facts that's all. And since when does a website being launched verify one way or another what business practices a company follows.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
So because they revamped a website in March makes them a company that is scamming people. Hmmmmif you say so. Just getting across facts that's all. And since when does a website being launched verify one way or another what business practices a company follows.

Not a revamped website, a NEW website that didn't exist before March 2012.....

Your "facts" are not believable so you can stop trying.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
So because they revamped a website in March makes them a company that is scamming people.

It's not so much when their website appeared, but it's their outlandish "promises" that make people skeptical.

I had someone call me from Access Travel Network telling me that I had 12 extra getaway weeks with RCI. She told me that my exchange fee would be $149 per week and if I'd sign over these 12 weeks and pay the total exchange fee for all 12 weeks( around $1,700) Then she could promise me that i would recieve $1,500 per week in return( $18,000) when the company she works for books my weeks for the upcoming NASCAR race in Daytona.
Renting out RCI weeks is against RCI policies for one thing. Quoting higher-than-believable rates of return is another tip-off. Cold calling a timeshare owner with crazy offers like these is another red flag.

geekette

Reaction score

Bay, if you want to post names and phone numbers so we can verify your story, I'd be glad to unveil the truth. Make it business phone numbers, please.

But your story is no more believeable than if I posted glowing reviews of Slimy Slough timeshare (hat tip to JLB). Just cuz I say it don't make it so.

Ain't personal. This is the internet. You're new here. You won't find this group to Just Believe it because it's on the internet.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Just wanted to uncover another lie. Posters who received the unsolicited phone call have claimed, and you do as well, that this company wants your so called getaways because they have contracts with corporate customers that they rent to. Below was taken from the legal disclosures section of their website:

"ATN is not involved in any negotiation for rent, closing or procuring of renters; and ATN forwards all inquiries about your vacation property directly to you and allows you to negotiate the rental of your vacation property"

This is the classic advertising listing scam with a side dish of "pay me upfront for your non existent twelve getaways so I can rent them for you for big bucks."

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
More evidence of a SCAM

Although their website doesn't list their address, I found the address in Florida. Located at that very same address is another timeshare advertising company. Here is the BBB file for Choice Property Network (rated F):

http://www.bbb.org/central-florida/...hoice-property-network-in-orlando-fl-90140548

More fascinating reading is from an Orlando Sentinel article from just TODAY. Seems the owner of that company by that exact same name is being pursued by the state for FRAUD.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1997-08-15/business/9708150520_1_stern-choice-property-dowd

Coincidence?? I think not.

Last edited:

spazmama2001

Reaction score
ATN Issue

My husband and I were just contacted last night from ATN stating we have 12 getaways that will be expiring in Aug'2012 kicker is we have no clue what the woman is talking about. So I was really skeptable of taking the call but wanted to hear what she had to say. The lady started out w/the whole spill that Pepsi and few other name dropping companies were looking for Timeshares to save cost in putting up their employees for the week w/o the crazy resort cost. She went on to tell us that the company would pay $1,200 per week & we would receive a cashier check in 90 days in the amount of $14,400. I asked whats the catch w/receiving free money with a 3rd party involved well let me get my supervisor. The supervisor told me that there would be a $149 up front fee. I said I'm paying you $149 for the 12 weeks to receive $14,400 so whats the hidden you're not telling me. Well you're not correct on the $149 total it's a $149 x 12 weeks for a grand total of $1,788. So you're saying I'm paying you $1,788 upfront for 12 getaways that I don't know about and I'll receive a check in 90 days for $14,400? She said yes. I then said I want to read the contract and check with the Better Business to see about your company before making any decisions. They just sent me the contract and I'm waiting on someone to get back to me on the BBB about the company. The other issue I'm having is I can't find anything out about the 12getaways and Orange Lake had no clue either.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've had multiple calls from them. I hang up. No risk or cost that way.
This has every possible sign of a total scheme to get those making the calls money not a valid opportunity to rent your weeks.

Last edited:

ladyff90

Reaction score
I Got the Same Call

I just received the same call. Luckily, a number came up on my caller ID. It sounded legit until it came to the paying part. They wanted my credit card information to activate the mysterious 15 weeks now, and then they'll send me the contracts to look over.

My gut instinct said that something was fishy.

I told them to call me back in an hour. I immediately got on the computer and tried searching for them. That's how I came across this page. I'm glad I did.

I also did a reverse search on the telephone number. It comes up as a mobile phone in India. ????? That doesn't sound right either, since the guy assured me that he was in Florida, although he kept getting the time changes mixed up. Hmmmm. . .

I don't think I'm going to fall for it either. Nice try Access Travel Network, or whoever you are! They should be calling in the next 10 minutes. Can't wait!

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I just received the same call. Luckily, a number came up on my caller ID. It sounded legit until it came to the paying part. They wanted my credit card information to activate the mysterious 15 weeks now, and then they'll send me the contracts to look over.

My gut instinct said that something was fishy.

I told them to call me back in an hour. I immediately got on the computer and tried searching for them. That's how I came across this page. I'm glad I did.

I also did a reverse search on the telephone number. It comes up as a mobile phone in India. ????? That doesn't sound right either, since the guy assured me that he was in Florida, although he kept getting the time changes mixed up. Hmmmm. . .

I don't think I'm going to fall for it either. Nice try Access Travel Network, or whoever you are! They should be calling in the next 10 minutes. Can't wait!

Congratulations for being alert and trusting your "gut instinct". Unfortunately, there are some very trusting people in this world that lack that "gut instinct" and that keeps these low lifes in business.

geekette

Reaction score
where did BayAreaKid go that had such a great experience with them? I was sure hoping to get the girlfriend's uncle's cousin's phone number so I could also collect the $14k (after expenses).

sullt254

Reaction score
is this company real or not

I just go a call from a Mario Rivera and he called me from 407 956 3405 and he stated almost the same thing to me that the person said to you. That he wanted me to buy out a 5 week block out of the 12 for $149 each and I could be given 1000 per week. And it could take up till 60 to 90 days to get my money that they offered to me. He said the correct website is www.accesstravelnet.com. And he said who ever called you must have tried to use his company's name to scam you. I went to the website he gave me and it is listed. So I'm not sure if you were scammed or not. Did you get your check yet. He also said if there were any problems to contact their legal dept. Also he told me that he already had people ready to rent the weeks that he wants me to buy. I would say don't give up on TimeShares because they are wonderful to have. My family and I have been enjoying them for years. So the time shares are not all bad. I also invite friends and family to come with me and they have a great time. So check the website out and if you can remember the number that called you see if it is the one that called me and contact their legal dept. to see if you were contacted by one of their people or someone else trying to use their name.

:confused: Hi, I'm new to this timeshare stuff and not to thrilled about having one anymore, but I had someone call me from Access Travel Network telling me that I had 12 extra getaway weeks with RCI. She told me that my exchange fee would be $149 per week and if I'd sign over these 12 weeks and pay the total exchange fee for all 12 weeks( around $1,700) Then she could promise me that i would recieve $1,500 per week in return( $18,000) when the company she works for books my weeks for the upcoming NASCAR race in Daytona. I can't help but feel that this is a SCAM. They stated that they were licensed, insured, and bonded but it does't add up to me. PLEASE someone help!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They are NOT Legit - RCI does not allow you to rent getaways - PERIOD! They are only after an upfront fee then they will disappear.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
where did BayAreaKid go that had such a great experience with them? I was sure hoping to get the girlfriend's uncle's cousin's phone number so I could also collect the $14k (after expenses).

Despite listing "San Francisco" as his location - he's in Orlando per his IP address... :rolleyes: