• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Bewildered

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
New people to the site are exactly what is needed to continue the pressure but the need for calls and emails to all the elected officials already shown on this site is paramount:Alberta and BC Justice Ministers, Judge Youngs Office, the Service Alberta Minister, the AB and BC legal societies etc.

Bewildered

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
You realize Mr. Savageau NM lawyer has a collections agency in Toronto. Google it. We will be paying the 35 grand settlement. We cannot afford the 162 per cent threatened interest if we go on our own plus the 500.00 am hour for another lawyer. It is outright theft but NM seems to have the courts on his side and can charge what he wants.
Don’t give up get on the phone, emails, I guarantee it is starting to make a difference, you can tell when you mention Northmont Timeshares, etc, they absolutely are getting calls. Can you imagine 1300 calls, I guess some people with Geldert don’t care enough to spend some time to try and save 30 Grand. I do, every morning a couple of hours reviewing new news on Tuggs and then phoning and sending emails.

KGB_527

Reaction score
Don’t give up get on the phone, emails, I guarantee it is starting to make a difference, you can tell when you mention Northmont Timeshares, etc, they absolutely are getting calls. Can you imagine 1300 calls, I guess some people with Geldert don’t care enough to spend some time to try and save 30 Grand. I do, every morning a couple of hours reviewing new news on Tuggs and then phoning and sending emails.

Well I did exactly the same, but today after this email from Service Alberta, and some email replays from MLA, and after few phone conversations with Justice Dept, Alberta Service, another lawyer, I am not sure that anybody cares. I mean, they are really sympathetic, they just cannot understand what happened, they node their heads with disbelief, some suggest more legal action, but legal action cost more money, and to mount new legal action we need time and lawyer. It looks like the lawyers seeing almost 5 years of litigation gone against us, are all staying away from this. Nobody wants to touch this. Until something dramatic happens? Hail Mary...... I don't know what else.

Roxanne

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont, Sunchaser
Thanks Bewildered for your hard work! I am positive it will pay off and make a big difference.

FairSun

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser in Fairmont
We will not sign the settlement and presently do not have a lawyer. The deal was accept the offer or you are on your own. They can state anything they want - they still have to collect. The settlement was not court ordered. Collection agencies are very regulated in Alberta and will take a share of the funds collected. You will have difficulty getting money out of the bank of beautyrest or simmons.
Wish we had zero assets they can come after

mmchili

TUG Member
Reaction score
RE: Post 3142;
Water Leaks; in what shape would the resort be in if the water leaks and repairs are not done? There would have been complaints about the condition of the resort. The exterior of Riverside looked awful in addition to the interior. I found that those who stayed in a renovated unit have posted positive reviews
on Sunchaser's website and other travel sites.

Association; A survey was done by Northmont in late 2011 with very few respondents and very few in agreement with having an association. Were the timeshare owners afraid of having to pay increased maintenance fees to fund an Association?

Credentials; What facts are there to support the claim of "real credentials"? Have a look at the drawings and check out the credentials.

Re-designed units repurposed as condos; Northmont committed to renovate, redesign, repair those units which remained as timeshares to accommodate those who "paid to stay". Those units not required because of those who "paid to leave" would not be renovated, etc. and would be separated/realigned from the resort.
I have stayed in a renovated unit in Riverside and found it to be very nicely redone; inside and outside. I fully support Northmont's plan of realignment.

wagga2650

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
Water Leaks; in what shape would the resort be in if the water leaks and repairs are not done? There would have been complaints about the condition of the resort. The exterior of Riverside looked awful in addition to the interior. I found that those who stayed in a renovated unit have posted positive reviews

Association; A survey was done by Northmont in late 2011 with very few respondents and very few in agreement with having an association. Were the timeshare owners afraid of having to pay increased maintenance fees to fund an Association?

Credentials; What facts are there to support the claim of "real credentials"? Have a look at the drawings and check out the credentials.

Re-designed units repurposed as condos; Northmont committed to renovate, redesign, repair those units which remained as timeshares to accommodate those who "paid to stay". Those units not required because of those who "paid to leave" would not be renovated, etc. and would be separated/realigned from the resort.
I have stayed in a renovated unit in Riverside and found it to be very nicely redone; inside and outside. I fully support Northmont's plan of realignment.
Thanks Wankel for your unbiased assessment.But don't shed a tear for thousands of families you have financially destroyed!

Huckleberry

Reaction score

When you stayed did they give you your special VIP bed of money from the millions you've stolen?

Floyd55

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont
Wish we had zero assets they can come after

I'm afraid that I am in the same boat. I am categorically against this settlement and especially since I know that most of the funds collected will only go to enrich Kirk Wankel and his cronies! Having said that, I also recognize the real legal situation that we are in, and I am not willing to risk being held in the future to paying 162% more than I am now. Every time over the past 4 years when we have been faced with a decision whether to pay or continue fighting in court with another of MG's brilliant defense strategies we have elected to continue on. It feels different this time to me. I am not a legal expert by any stretch so I don't know what the debt collectors would be able to access or place liens on, and quite frankly, I am not prepared to find out. If Judge Young doesn't come through with a fair solution to this whole settlement fiasco and come Feb. 15th we are still where we are now, I will just have to bite the bullet and fork over the settlement cash. End of story. But until that time, I will continue to fight, make calls, send letters, etc. Not giving up yet!

aden2

Reaction score
The powers to be at Northmont could enlighten the VIA's how they scammed millions during the time they were in insolvent and showed slides and high sales pitches that was fraudlent. I ask is this something to be proud of? How the hell can Northmont say that these type sales tactics are legal contracts. All of these contracts should be rescinded immediately!

Bewildered

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
Well I did exactly the same, but today after this email from Service Alberta, and some email replays from MLA, and after few phone conversations with Justice Dept, Alberta Service, another lawyer, I am not sure that anybody cares. I mean, they are really sympathetic, they just cannot understand what happened, they node their heads with disbelief, some suggest more legal action, but legal action cost more money, and to mount new legal action we need time and lawyer. It looks like the lawyers seeing almost 5 years of litigation gone against us, are all staying away from this. Nobody wants to touch this. Until something dramatic happens? Hail Mary...... I don't know what else.
Exactly what I’m getting other than very secretive about Judge Young reviewing/deciding on
something/sometime. She is the key because she knows she left us hanging on the interest. Maybe she will somehow do the right thing. I have lost a lot of faith in our justice system, little respect I had for elected officials and trust for decency is completely gone thanks to Wank and M.G.

den403

Reaction score
I went to the Calgary courthouse yesterday. They know who we are. They told me they have a separate room just for our case. I was placed in option 1 without my consent and with documentation between myself and my lawyer stating this. The courts told me there was a note on my file stating I settled and the case was closed for me. I was told that there is no more appeals and that Judge Young is still addressing the costs and interest for all clients and that only our lawyer knows that date as Judge would have told him the date for this. I was told our deadline and Judge Youngs are independent of each other and could possibly be why we have a deadline. I was also told the only recourse I have is to go to the BC Law Society.
People I encourage you to go to the courthouse yourself and talk to them on the 6th and 7th floor if you don't know where you stand and need information. Take your Civil claim or dispute note with you and give them the action number from it. This is my scenario I cannot speak for yours.
Wow I am just blown away. Dead end for me!

wagga2650

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
tswow - Clearly you don't know the horror story behind this travesty or else you know/are associated with Wankel.
He knows alright, just follow what he has been saying on this forum for years.I know there is a thing called Karma, Gods judgment etc and I believe it is coming Wankel's way sooner or later.His company has destroyed peoples vacations, Finances and in some cases relationships so whatever comes this guys way is well deserved.

mmchili

TUG Member
Reaction score
RE: Post #3145;
I'm not convinced that if the property was sold to someone other than Northmont that the situation would be any different than it is now. There are several instances where a resort was sold and the timeshare owners were faced with an extra assessment. Currently, ckeck out what happened when Intrawest sold Club Intrawest to Diamond resorts; the timeshare owners are not happy with how the club is being operated.

Bewildered

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
The only way to find out is to call Kim Palichuk and get some answers....We are all getting the same letter.
I am unable to get an email through to Kim gets rejected, Left a message by getting transferred (because I can’t find her number) Got a return message from her of about two minutes of mumbling about the decision. Tried numerous numbers listed for her all wrong numbers to call her back. Anyone have the number because now I’m getting pissed off. High ranking jobs like hers and she gives me some cock and bull response a 12 year old could do better.

Reaction score
Tswow really??? Or wankel did you really think what you were doing was such a great deal for everybody clearly it's not 50% exited quickly already 25% tried to stand up to you in less than 25% decided to stay what a great business model that is you have inspired people with your dishonesty and at the end of the day you pay yourself your 15% on all monies collected and the rest goes into your company what a joke the resorts a joke the last time I was thru there all those buildings were boarded up looks like crap I didn't see any fancy renovations going on most of the resort looks like crap I enjoyed my many years there until you came in the picture with the scam to take money from everybody so it didn't cost you a dime to do any of this work I do believe in karma and I do believe there's a special place in hell for people like you who are destroying many peoples lives with these ridiculous bills if you really wanted people out you should've honoured the original contracts and let people go we already lost 20 -30 or more years of our investments but clearly you're all about the money all of itinstead of letting all the interest accumulated while people were seeking justice as is their right. If you truly cared about the resort you would've gone about this a completely different way instead of crapping on people the way you have. Maybe once people settle there's a gag order in effect but until then I'm pretty sure most of them aren't going to go quietly and you don't deserve that because you didn't think this through how it could affect people's lives they already paid a pretty substantial investment to be there some of them as recently as well The company went bankrupt how you can demand money from everybody in that manner is beyond me. If I buy a rundown piece of property it is my responsibility to fix it up it is not my renters responsibility to fix it up. I don't see your name on any charitable donations site where you're some great human being I'm sure you're really happy put in all that money in your pocket and taking it from people that have to remortgage their home or give up the last of their retirement savings. Outstanding way to do business hope you're proud of yourself. If done in a completely different manner all these people would still be part of that resort paying their fees on time like they had for many years instead of a bunch of boarded up rundown buildings. Classy real classy. With the resort of that size essentially folding to 25% of its original size what a huge economic impact that had on the town of Fairmont bet your real popular there.

mmchili

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Post #3148;
The houseboats, Kelowna timeshare, Hawaii timeshare, Belize timeshare were not exclusive to Fairmont (FRPL) Resort timeshare owners unless they were members of the Platinum Club.

Sunchaser timeshare owners have no say on how the developer does business; timeshare owners have an agreement for time, whether there are 5,000 villas or 12,500 villas in the resort. They do not have a proportionate interest in the real property.

The 2018 budget for the 2018 maintenance fee is based on approximately 4,852 timeshare weeks, not the full 12,500 timeshare weeks. The timeshare weeks of those owners who chose to cancel their contracts have been placed "off line". These weeks are not in use for the resort.

Spark1

Reaction score
You realize Mr. Savageau NM lawyer has a collections agency in Toronto. Google it. We will be paying the 35 grand settlement. We cannot afford the 162 per cent threatened interest if we go on our own plus the 500.00 am hour for another lawyer. It is outright theft but NM seems to have the courts on his side and can charge what he wants.
I just want to ask you are you sure you well be released? I just want to tell every one that because of every one sending in tons of mail into Service Alberta, Sevice Alberta has now set up a Consumer Investigation Unit in Calgary. In other words they have set up a file with the Canadian antifraud centre in Ontario. What would be great if every one of us now contact your Local RCMP and tell them you want to report fraud and this is your right to do this. If you feel you paid out money for a product and you are not receiving it because of the Freedom to Choose report it to the RCMP. Tell your Local RCMP that Service Alberta are now doing Consumer Investigation in Calgary. The RCMP might ask you to phone them and get the file number for them. You can not do that only the RCMP Can get that number. So have the RCMP phone Mike Erishanko at 403-297-8387 and they will give them the file no. Now your Local RCMP will give you a file Number. This took me 15 minutes and it was all set up. The RCMP will ask you to start from scratch and write out your whole story about how Northwynd Frauded you. If you paid money up front and now you are not allowed to use the resort because of the freedom to Choose this is Fraud. Their cancellation agreement is ambiguous and they talk about VIAS,that is not in my Contract we have a Vacation Villa Lease Contract . The other Special Assessments is not in a Lease Agreement. Ours is a right to use and at the end of the lease you have no ownership rights in the property. We are getting Hugh maintenance bills and we have not been able to use the resort for almost 5 years,how does that work. Geldert Law said he tried to make some kind of deal so we could use the resort but Northwynd did not want any part of that. We paid thousands of dollars up front so we could use that resort for 40 years with our simple Lease Contract and Northmont closed the door on us to force us to pick one of their chooses. The one that they were hoping we all would pick was to cancel. So this is Fraud when you pay out all that money and you can not use that service. Timeshare is in the Canadian Consumer Handbook and it is legal to sell this product and let’s demand protection from these governments and tell them to close the door to Fraud with this timeshare industry. My so called maintenance fees doubled from 2016 to 2017 what would of it been if we used the resort. We never had a problem for 12 years until the Northwynds greed set in. We need every one to do this and this well help the Investigation. Remember what we hired the Lawyer for,that was to protect our Contract. I do not care what Northmont calls it now this is not the case our contract was what we had in 2013. They quickly made changes to make it look like our contract is different from what we had in 2013 do not allow them to do this. We are going to be busy working with The RCMP and have a meeting with them on Jan29. Carry on the great work that you have been doing.

Reaction score
The houseboats, Kelowna timeshare, Hawaii timeshare, Belize timeshare were not exclusive to Fairmont (FRPL) Resort timeshare owners unless they were members of the Platinum Club.

Sunchaser timeshare owners have no say on how the developer does business; timeshare owners have an agreement for time, whether there are 5,000 villas or 12,500 villas in the resort. They do not have a proportionate interest in the real property.

The 2018 budget for the 2018 maintenance fee is based on approximately 4,852 timeshare weeks, not the full 12,500 timeshare weeks. The timeshare weeks of those owners who chose to cancel their contracts have been placed "off line". These weeks are not in use for the resort.

wow, right from the horses mouth. "They do not have a proportionate interest in the real property."

thats exactly why we should not be forced to pay this exhorbitant fee to fix someone elses property.

we signed an agreement to have a right of occupancy (not to own) in some random unit in the resort for 1 week annually.

we don't have title to anything and if we did we would share in the profits along with the losses.
we do not have 'beneficial ownership' and as it is, we have all been treated as a cash cow for some unscrupulous developers who i am sure will dissolve the entire resort and take the money and run.

enough is enough.

wagga2650

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser

Just what I would expect from you no sympathy for people just money money money!If we had a decent lawyer who knew what to argue this would be a different story.Anyway, if you had not added such ridiculous interest as to bankrupt some of us then maybe you would get so much hate coming your way.Just remember you live by the sword you die by it.May not be today or tomorrow but it will get you!

truthr

Reaction score

You seem to have a lot of inside information and some here think you are Kirk Wankel.
Are you? Or aren't you?
We sure wouldn't want any falsehoods circulating - now would we?