• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Spark1

Reaction score
Is there anyone that paid the Geldert extortion released from the wonderful resort? If so does that mean all the hardship cases have been dealt with? Is the gag order over now? If Justice Young wins the appeal against her will you now sue to get your money back from that 26.8% high interest?

Floyd55

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont
Is there anyone that paid the Geldert extortion released from the wonderful resort? If so does that mean all the hardship cases have been dealt with? Is the gag order over now? If Justice Young wins the appeal against her will you now sue to get your money back from that 26.8% high interest?

I haven't been on here for months, just checked back in to see if anything new was happening. I paid the extortion fee to get out but haven't totally given up hope that justice will one day be done. I did receive my release from the resort, by email mind you, not hard copy as promised. My hope and expectation would be if the extortion interest rates that we were charged were ever overturned by a judge in this case, we would all be notified by the court so that we could apply to be refunded what is owed back to us. Probably a pipe dream, but hey, we can always dream!

Spark1

Reaction score
I haven't been on here for months, just checked back in to see if anything new was happening. I paid the extortion fee to get out but haven't totally given up hope that justice will one day be done. I did receive my release from the resort, by email mind you, not hard copy as promised. My hope and expectation would be if the extortion interest rates that we were charged were ever overturned by a judge in this case, we would all be notified by the court so that we could apply to be refunded what is owed back to us. Probably a pipe dream, but hey, we can always dream!
I do not know what Jim Belfry’s interest rate was stated on his Timeshare Contract. When the Judges ruled against him when he went after Northwynd about their management of the resort. That’s when Kirk Wankel went after every one connected to the Jake case and said all the contracts are the same. By Justice Young asking for all the timeshare contracts and when she ruled on her case that Interest will be according to individual contracts that proved that contracts are not the same. Therefore it was illegal for Northwynd to collect that high interest from many of you and that money should be paid back. Northwynd is appealing her decision of course they are extortionist . Why did Geldert go after every one to settle when he knew Justice Young Was going to rule on interest rates middle of February /2017. Even maintenance fees they were asking 26.8% compounded. Greed and I hope they someday hang themselves they are crooks. Always protect your contract. Do not ever believe that Judges and Lawyers can not be corrupt and look what has happened with Churches. I do not care what career that humans are in there is corruption everywhere nowadays. Normal human being would feel we lost enough with that rigged bankruptcy being our timeshares and would not expect Vacation Villa Lease Owners to also replace the crooked owners resort. Only in CANADA. Go UCP. Any one that knows every thing about Justice Youngs Case would you please send to Richard Gotfried member of Parlament Alberta UCP Party Thank you. I have sent many documents to Richard but Young’s Case no I do not have documents for that case.You could never pay Maintenance fees because they would never accept it but they sure will accept compounded 26.8% interest fees say for the last 7 years.

MarcieL

Reaction score

I would like to think so as well Floyd 55, but think due to the S.A. that we were forced into signing or the threat of 162 % interest,we are screwed. I will never darken another court proceeding, as the very sight of this monster, makes me hurl! Our lives have been permanently altered as seniors living on a fixed income, by these ruthless crooks.

Spark1

Reaction score

I would like to think so as well Floyd 55, but think due to the S.A. that we were forced into signing or the threat of 162 % interest,we are screwed. I will never darken another court proceeding, as the very sight of this monster, makes me hurl! Our lives have been permanently altered as seniors living on a fixed income, by these ruthless crooks.
I feel Michael Geldert was one of them all along. The reason I say this is look at the lawyer firms he picked in BC and Alberta. He Knew about Justice Young. Kirk Wankel and MG had to move quickly the busiest time of the year to pull this off because they knew Justice Youngs decision could cost them millions. I bet Justice Young will win the appeal in December. Why did Wankel not use Sauvageau in stead of MG? Greed is the answer. MG lost to much and the way he conducted himself was deliberate and it was very easy for the Judges to make their decisions,all against us. Michael Geldert got rich off of innocent Vacation Villa Lease Owners majority Seniors. He did not work for us to get a Condo Association why,that is in our Lease Contracts. I do not feel any one should of paid until the LAW SOCIETY of B.C. gave their report on Michael Geldert. BC is so Corrupt when it comes to justice and let’s hope the Law Society finds the corruption that we Lease Owners See.

Spark1

Reaction score
Every one that did not write the Law Society of B.C. you should. Send them a copy of the SIF they were using. Should them the 162% threat. I wrote them months ago and am waiting for their answer. I have to know if this is legal how this case has been handled. Send them a copy of your Bill from MG and explain to them that you had no say in the final numbers that he wanted you to pay. If you do not complain how will they know?

MarcieL

Reaction score
I understand the law Society is still investigating, this could take years!

Is Young's appeal in Dec. I thought it was Oct. There's something in Oct. in Edmonton.

MarcieL

Reaction score
I do not feel any one should of paid until the LAW SOCIETY of B.C. gave their report on Michael Geldert. BC is so Corrupt when it comes to justice and let’s hope the Law Society finds the corruption that we Lease Owners See.

We could not afford the downside with the high interest rates. We would now have owed what Ning does, as it was, we had to obtain a loan.

teedeej

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
Friends of my in-laws still own at Sunchaser and they stayed at Hillside about a month ago, and the staff told them that they weren’t allowed to use the rec building’s swimming pool. Has anyone heard of similar stories?

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Teedee

It sounds like your friends rented at hillside since it was taken out of the timeshare. This year they rented them and supposedly they are going to renovate the suites and then either sell or rent them out. The rent on these units in July/August was about what maintenance fees are so once again screws the timeshare owners that stayed. Hillside can use the outdoor pool with slides up the hill. The people who stayed in the timeshare can use the rec center but I believe they only have a hot tub. Maybe an indoor pool but no outdoor pool. If they own at Sunchaser I don't think they could have stayed at hillside only riverside or riverview. I drove by and it does look like they renovated most of riverside but nothing in hillside. Those of us who had their ownership at hillside were sent papers in March approximately stating we were out of our ownership there. It of course did not include getting us out of our financial obligations based on a corrupt system with slick lawyers. Next year the cycle will begin again with people naïve enough to buy or rent from people who only care about their own financial bottom line.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Because of the flawed Court decisions it looks as if Northmont can pretty much do what they want, financed by the timeshare owners past and present. What a sweetheart deal they were awarded by the courts. How in a civilized country like Canada can the courts completely ignore key Clauses in a legal contract to the benefit of the Developers and detriment to the timeshare owners. The degree of corruption in high places is astonishing.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
..... How in a civilized country like Canada can the courts completely ignore key Clauses in a legal contract ..... .

Hi GypsyOne
I think some of the judges must have totally slept through their contract law class ..... / then been "awarded" a judgeship based on being someone's friend .

Over the last couple of years I have read most of this thread .

As a Canadian - I am appalled

MAT1

Reaction score
Teedee

It sounds like your friends rented at hillside since it was taken out of the timeshare. This year they rented them and supposedly they are going to renovate the suites and then either sell or rent them out. The rent on these units in July/August was about what maintenance fees are so once again screws the timeshare owners that stayed. Hillside can use the outdoor pool with slides up the hill. The people who stayed in the timeshare can use the rec center but I believe they only have a hot tub. Maybe an indoor pool but no outdoor pool. If they own at Sunchaser I don't think they could have stayed at hillside only riverside or riverview. I drove by and it does look like they renovated most of riverside but nothing in hillside. Those of us who had their ownership at hillside were sent papers in March approximately stating we were out of our ownership there. It of course did not include getting us out of our financial obligations based on a corrupt system with slick lawyers. Next year the cycle will begin again with people naïve enough to buy or rent from people who only care about their own financial bottom line.

Teedee, "Mountain View Villas" was created in the spring when RDEK gave 3rd and final reading to bylaw 2777 on May 5/18. That bylaw changed the original designation from R4 multiple family residential (high density) to Res-3 Resort Lodge zone. Attached to the minutes of RDEK meeting May 5, 2018, details of the bylaw are outlined. 3 bldgs and 60 units are in this new parcel; 8000 is the check-in bldg. It includes the waterpark exclusive to this new development, but not the Terrace bldgs. When we visited the area in June, we noticed that the new name was already on the entrance to this old Hillside area and a new webpage was up and running as well.

Spark1

Reaction score
Hi GypsyOne
I think some of the judges must have totally slept through their contract law class ..... / then been "awarded" a judgeship based on being someone's friend .

Over the last couple of years I have read most of this thread .

As a Canadian - I am appalled
Document Exhibit——————(Received Jan 2018 Geldert Law)
Settlement Instructions. Due to strick timelines set by (Northmont) again on page 2 Do not send any of the Settlement Documents to NORTHMONT. We are sending them to NORTHMONT page 4. We will transfer your payment to (NORTHMONT’S LAWYER) Aden2 and I were working together and he has proof that Northmont sold him Legacy for Life and they were already bankrupted. A document this important, you do not make those kind of error and are they errors? I read this document over and there is no break down of what you are paying. This is another breach but not with the Judges that handled this case. Who can proof that Northwynd does not still excess and the same people are envolved? I would never pay this. Millions being collected and is there another Northmont?

Spark1

Reaction score
Document Exhibit——————(Received Jan 2018 Geldert Law)
Settlement Instructions. Due to strick timelines set by (Northmont) again on page 2 Do not send any of the Settlement Documents to NORTHMONT. We are sending them to NORTHMONT page 4. We will transfer your payment to (NORTHMONT’S LAWYER) Aden2 and I were working together and he has proof that Northmont sold him Legacy for Life and they were already bankrupted. A document this important, you do not make those kind of error and are they errors? I read this document over and there is no break down of what you are paying. This is another breach but not with the Judges that handled this case. Who can proof that Northwynd does not still excess and the same people are envolved? I would never pay this. Millions being collected and is there another Northmont?
Is this Northmont the same as Northmont Properties LD? Is this Northmont a new company that the extorted Vacation Villa Lease Owners paid into? Take this to the RCMP and have this investigated.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
...for those who paid, I wish you would have not been feeling as if that was your only alternative. At least I can still look myself in the mirror and know that I will never pay. As a timeshare leessee, with a decade or so left on my contract, I will continue to ignore the 'Resort Villa Management' envelopes and whatever they have inside that show up here every so often. Having worked within the law as long as possible I am thinking that personal bankruptcy along the lines of Colin Knight is looking very attractive. Of course I don't have 3 ex-wives and a current spouse in whose maiden names to bury my assets, but the template he has provided certainly leaves room for creativity!

Spark1

Reaction score
...for those who paid, I wish you would have not been feeling as if that was your only alternative. At least I can still look myself in the mirror and know that I will never pay. As a timeshare leessee, with a decade or so left on my contract, I will continue to ignore the 'Resort Villa Management' envelopes and whatever they have inside that show up here every so often. Having worked within the law as long as possible I am thinking that personal bankruptcy along the lines of Colin Knight is looking very attractive. Of course I don't have 3 ex-wives and a current spouse in whose maiden names to bury my assets, but the template he has provided certainly leaves room for creativity!
sorry false. Alarm. I was thinking about Fairmont Resort Property LD. Northmont is their management of the Sunchaser Resort . Time to quit.

Spark1

Reaction score
But again we know none of that money will be spent on the Sunchaser Resort
sorry false. Alarm. I was thinking about Fairmont Resort Property LD. Northmont is their management of the Sunchaser Resort . Time to quit.
But many of those millions are going to be invested in the Sunchaser Resort. It is all Fraud withe the big help of the corrupt Judges.

Spark1

Reaction score
Everyone should look up Sunchaser Resort Timeshare Owners are successful over turning November 15, 2013 Judgment against them. This Judge warned Northmont about abusing our contracts. Why did MG allow Northmont to think they can abuse our contracts. Everyone of us and I said this many times do not allow any one to abuse our contracts and that includes Judges. Let’s stand up to our rights.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Everyone should look up Sunchaser Resort Timeshare Owners are successful over turning November 15, 2013 Judgment against them. This Judge warned Northmont about abusing our contracts. Why did MG allow Northmont to think they can abuse our contracts. Everyone of us and I said this many times do not allow any one to abuse our contracts and that includes Judges. Let’s stand up to our rights.
Our rights are ultimately determined by the courts, and unfortunately the judges have the last word.

Spark1

Reaction score
Our rights are ultimately determined by the courts, and unfortunately the judges have the last word.
Maybe in a dictatorship. The case that we won in 2014 that judge warned Northmont not to use unilateral amendments without notice to the owners of the contract and they didnot. They also had to follow instructions according to individual contracts and if they did not that was breach of contract. This case should of ended right there. Why did it go on for years. After the case in 2014 you basically had judges ruling over judges crazy. After our appeal the courts were totally against us why?

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Basically the 2014 favorable ruling was a ruling on procedure - that justice was not served by Special Case procedure in Judge's chambers. Justice would be served in full court procedure with cross-examination, etc. Then we lost in the BC Supreme Court and the BC Court of Appeal. Because we lost fundamental contract rights so decisively on all points, that decision is highly questionable. The Province of BC did not want a popular tourist destination to fail, nor have to prop it up with public money. One can suspect the thumb of justice was firmly on the side of the rich and influential real estate developers. The Developers know how to play the game.

Last edited:

Spark1

Reaction score
Basically the 2014 favorable ruling was a ruling on procedure - that justice was not served by Special Case procedure in Judge's chambers. Justice would be served in full court procedure with cross-examination, etc. Then we lost in the BC Supreme Court and the BC Court of Appeal. Because we lost fundamental contract rights so decisively on all points, that decision is highly questionable. The Province of BC did not want a popular tourist destination to fail, nor have to prop it up with public money. One can suspect the thumb of justice was firmly on the side of the rich and influential real estate developers. The Developers know how to play the game.
I agree but we all know that Service Alberta did not do their job to protect all timeshare owners because of the unfair practice that took place that being The Freedom To Choose or the Freedom to Leave. That was done in Alberta by a Alberta Supplier and it does not matter where the resort is located. I do not believe for one minute this Ministers reason for resigning. We know her reason for resigning that being not protecting all of us using the Fair Trading ACT. Also Protection BC and Service Alberta is to work with the federal government to make sure there is consumer protection and they did not. They all said they can not do anything to override the judges after it was to late. We should all know what the Canadian Consumer Handbook has to say about Vacation Villa Lease timeshares. They took the right to use away from all of us after we all paid millions into that resort and we all know after the end of the lease we own nothing. By allowing Northmont to do this Service Alberta,Protection BC,The Canadian Consumer Handbook and the Fairmont Consumer Protection is meaningless. The reason this all happened was for sure to protect the bond holders. We did not force these people to buy these bonds with the promise of 12% interest that was their decision not ours. Also the greedy interest rates they were charging,we will see if their wonderful crooked lawyer willbe able to use another judge to override Justice Youngs decision on interest rates in December. Every one should read the Merriman case to see how the Trustee of the resort operates and to me and I will never change my mind on this that being This Was A Planned Bankruptcy.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
We can rail all we want against inadequate BC and Alberta consumer protection legislation, but why should we? Me and numerous others had perfectly legal, and we thought, enforceable lease agreements that should have protected our rights. But, turns out that lease agreements are meaningless if the courts want to rule otherwise. Seems it is not difficult to find compliant judges able to frame flawed decisions in complex legalese and thereby fool most of the people. The system let us down badly.

Last edited:

Spark1

Reaction score

This sums up a lot that happened to innocent humans that the BC court system and Justice Youngs Case tried to make it sound like we are criminals because we bought a Vacation Villa Lease timeshare that also guaranteed Fairmont Consumer Protection. Every one should read
Truths2Cents: Nothmont Sunchaser Scandal- The Untold Story