• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Hi. I am a genuine timeshare scammer.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So right.

So right. Yes, please close this thread. It is annoying.

Don't close a thread because it is annoying. There have been so many others through the years that fit this category, but so what? Even some started by regular TUGGERs, that are of no interest to me. Since I don't like them, should you close them? Of course not.
I skip the ones I lose interest in.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know I don't have to read it but I don't think any forum should allow trolls to keep on trolling. If others want to troll or keep on trolling or want to be trolled, you are right and I am just wrong. ;)

Reaction score
So right. Yes, please close this thread. It is annoying.

This thread would die a natural death if people stopped posting requests to close the thread.

You should, however, know that closing a thread permanently prevents anyone in the future the opportunity to update this thread in the rare even the OP is arrested or his/her identity is discovered.

In the meantime, here is an image to brighten you day.

exercise-troll.jpg

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
10,000 Views - clearly a wreck on the higway that people (me included) have to slow down and look

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread would die a natural death if people stopped posting requests to close the thread.

You should, however, know that closing a thread permanently prevents anyone in the future the opportunity to update this thread in the rare even the OP is arrested or his/her identity is discovered.

In the meantime, here is an image to brighten you day.

exercise-troll.jpg

There were about 3 different items stated here that made me chuckle... :)

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My all time favorite thing is people click on threads, read them, then asking them to be closed.... like really ? :hysterical:

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My all time favorite thing is people click on threads, read them, then asking them to be closed.... like really ? :hysterical:

Yes really. Forums should never give room to trolls. That paves the way for more and more non sense stories and scares the regular contributors away. I have seen so many great forums get killed by trolls and spammers.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Free speech is a fundamental right here, possessed even by the terminally ignorant...

Forums should never give room to trolls. That paves the way for more and more nonsense stories and scares the regular contributors away. I have seen so many great forums get killed by trolls and spammers.

With all due respect, knowledgeable and long-experienced TUGGERS are never going to be impressed or influenced (...let alone "scared away") :eek: by the appearance of the occasional intrepid troll, briefly popping up to willingly volunteer to just get pummeled.

IMnsHO, trolls and spammers really don't have even a fighting chance here. On the contrary, despite admirable bravery in stepping forward just to be promptly hammered into dust, they are ultimately nothing more than a "passing" source of dietary fiber. In a battle of wits, they always arrive completely unarmed. :)

Last edited:

TSscammer

Reaction score
I've been reading the follow up comments. I'm breaking my vow of silence to write this, but it was my own vow. It's not like one of the moderators asked me to leave.

I don't know who Jenn is. I also don't know who Steamboat Bill is. I know who Ride is only because that's who people were originally accusing me of being. I saw him respond on another recent thread.

I'm going to respond to a few posts and then explain why some of you continue to receive calls despite being registered with the national do not call list.

Have you ever been to a psychiatrist - and told the truth? If so, what was the diagnosis?

Did you have a happy childhood and a good relationship with your parents?

Were you abused as a child?

Did you/do you abuse drugs or alcohol? - Did either of your parents?

I actually responded to this in a PM to her already. Here's a recap for the rest of you.

I've never been to a psychiatrist, but I do regularly see a licensed mental health counselor. I have not been diagnosed with anything in particular. However, he has explained to me that people who steal are, at least on some level, trying to get revenge in one form or another. It's not something that I'm consciously aware of, apparently. His leading theory is that I'm upset with my father for being an alcoholic and lying to my mother about whether or not he's been drinking when she's out of town.

My childhood was happy. I was never abused. I do a lot of drugs. I'm not addicted to any of them. I deliberately switch from one drug to another after about a week as to not develop a chemical dependance on any particular drug.

Something is clearly wrong with me. I just don't know what it is.

LOL - you wish TUGBrian would've weighed in? It bothers you that he didn't?

Shux, that quote may reveal the real motive behind this whole exercise -- just to get a rise out of the Grand Pro.

It doesn't bother me. It just would have been interesting to get his take. Hearing what he had to say wasn't my motivation for writing. I just noticed that he was the main person posting links to scamming stories. The other guy online that posts these stories with Captain Ahab-like regularity is JayJay on redweek.com.

I for one would love to have seen our "here today / gone tomorrow" alleged "scammer" offer some concrete and specific assertions regarding the actual source(s) of the sucker lists contact info acquired and utilized by such scammers --- whether real or "just pretending".

I went into far more detail about this than anything else I talked about.

I can smell a scam from a mile away so be careful.

Yet you own a timeshare.

It's the time of the year, the season of trollers

You would make more money than I do if you got paid to repeatedly say the same thing with the highest possible word count. It's always funny when the know-it-all doesn't know what they're talking about.

The internet is a big place. I'm sure you can find a forum somewhere that is receptive to your Chicken Little-like false proclamations.

Does this sound like a good plan?

It sounds ideal from a scammer's perspective.

the article claims most of the scammers are in Canada.

Anything's possible, I suppose. It seems to me that most of the scam rings are in central and southern Florida. You never hear about a scam operation from, say, Ames, Iowa, or Indianapolis getting raided. They're always somewhere in Florida.

There are exceptions, just not many. The 30-year-old woman who got arrested for scamming $30m was somewhere in New Jersey. I would be willing to bet that she had strong connections to Florida, but I could be wrong.

Y'all have been played by the troll. The troll is in some private forum somewhere with some of his buddies, and they're all smirking and laughing together at how easily it was to play you, merely for their amusement.

Have you ever encountered trolls? I have. Lots of them. They don't behave the way that I do. Sure, I've written a few snarky replies, but they were responses to unjustified hostility. I'm not picking fights or arbitrarily insulting people. I'm honestly responding to questions and truthfully giving accounts of how scamming operations work.

The Do Not Call List Issue

I've seen quite a few of you complain about receiving these calls even though you're on the Do Not Call List. You should know that the Do Not Call List isn't even a distant consideration to people who are running telemarketing rooms.

These call centers are set up in such a way that they only have very broad control over who they're calling. The autodialer is set up by a third party that charges the rooms to use their services. The typical dialer costs $100 per rep per day. A day is usually calculated as a six hour shift.

When I say that the people managing the dialer remotely (that is, from their own sales floor) have broad control over who they're calling, what I mean by that is they can designate which area codes their room will target. For instance, 313 is usually a popular one. That's Detroit.

The leads that get loaded into the dialer have varying amounts of information. The most typical set up has no information whatsoever attached to the phone number. What that means is when a fronter (the term for the first person that talks to somebody who responds to a dialer) answers a call, they cannot see any identifying information about who they're speaking to aside from their phone number. In the rooms that have computers (about half), fronters will have 411.com pulled up on their computers so they can quickly try to find out who they're talking to.

Some rooms actually have relatively sophisticated VOIP systems that will show them the name and address of who they're speaking to when the call comes through. Not many though.

The leads that telemarketing rooms receive are by no means exclusive to them. In fact, when the people who run the dialers (I would say there are 10 or less in total in Florida) take on services for any given room, they simply load in the same numbers that they've already sold to all the other telemarketing rooms that they're already servicing. This can be particularly aggravating for people on the receiving end of the calls.

A person can truthfully tell a fronter that they've received this particular call six times already that day, but it's likely that the first five came from other rooms using the same calling list.

It would be to the telemarketing room's advantage to scrub the phone numbers of people who are very obviously uninterested in whatever they're pitching from the calling lists. However, they don't have any way to stop calling that phone number even if they wanted to. Some of them pay lip service to the Do Not Call List by telling their reps (the words "rep" and "fronter" can be and are used interchangeably) to write down the phone numbers of people who asked to be placed on the DNCL. However, even if they hand the numbers over to the people who run the dialers, nothing is ultimately done to get those people off of the calling lists.

Operating an autodialer isn't a hard thing to do. The reason that all the telemarketing rooms use third party dialers is because they have sophisticated safeguards that are very difficult to implement without substantial Asterisk (the PBX programming language) experience.

For instance, most of you have noticed that you are unable to return calls to the numbers that show up on your caller IDs when you receive telemarketing calls. The outgoing calls are spoofed.

The spoofs take on different characteristics depending on how the dialer is set up. Sometimes the return number will have nonexistent exchanges like 000 (as in 1-800-000-5534 or 813-000-9221 or 305-000-6134 etc). Other times, the spoof will make the number appear as if it's somebody local to you. Let's say your phone number is 202-555-1114. The spoof in that case will make the phone number appear as if it's 202-555-1115. It will similarly emulate whatever number is being called.

It's borderline impossible for a regular person to track down where the call is coming from. Maybe one or two of the self-proclaimed computer geniuses on this board will tell me how easy it is to find out where the calls are coming from, but I've never heard of one being traced. A lot of the spoofed numbers get reported to the FTC and the FCC. As far as I can tell, they make no effort to find out where the calls originate from.

The spoof is a difficult feat to accomplish. It's far from impossible though. The reason why most of these telemarketing rooms use the third party dialers is because they route the calls through foreign countries. The most common country is The Bahamas. There's no reason why it would need to be The Bahamas that I know of. That just seems to be the place they all choose to do it.

People running telemarketing rooms are very aware of the penalties associated with violating the DNCL. By using a third party dialer, they essentially sidestep any liability associated with violating it.

I guess that's it for now.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

Yet you own a timeshare.
Yeh -- more than 1.

But none -- zip, zero, zilch, zorch -- none bought at full freight.

One el freebo points timeshare. One el cheapo eBay points timeshare. One $500 floating diamond-season 3BR lock-off EEY timeshare.

So your point is . . . ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

TSscammer

Reaction score
So your point is . . . ?

I actually wasn't talking to you. I like you. Anybody who retires at 58 (or 57 depending on which month you were born and which month you retired) is an ace in my book.

I took your advice. I'm checking into a timeshare later tonight. I got it for $400 for a week. I'm going to see what all the fuss is about.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never been to a psychiatrist, but I do regularly see a licensed mental health counselor. I have not been diagnosed with anything in particular.

You have an axis 2 disorder. Just tell your therapist that some stranger on the internet told you. So, it must be true. I really believe it. No treatment or help for that. You just have to learn how to cope, which it sounds like you are already doing. Good luck.

Welcome back.

Reaction score
I've been reading the follow up comments. I'm breaking my vow of silence to write this, but it was my own vow. It's not like one of the moderators asked me to leave.

Welcome back. I guess we are lucky that nobody closed this thread (insert evil grin here).

I took your advice. I'm checking into a timeshare later tonight. I got it for $400 for a week. I'm going to see what all the fuss is about.

I will predict that you will probably NOT like it. In fact, I predict that unless it is one of the top 10% timeshare quality resorts, you will probably check-out early.

Based on your $600k-$6m per year salary range, you will find most timeshares are 2-3 star as compared to 5 star Ritz or Four Season resorts. Generally people that make $1m per year do not stay with the middle class and join fractionals or destination clubs (perhaps these are the new suckers you should focus on instead of timeshare owners).

I would be interested in which one you stay at (you can post well after checkout or just give a general description), but unless it is a DVC or top rated Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. most timeshares fail to impress.

75% of all timeshares are places I would NEVER want to stay and only 5-10% of timeshares are IMPRESSIVE. The top 1-3% of timeshares are Awesome.

You should check out Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Marco Island, DVC Bay Lake Tower, DVC Animal Kingdom as a good examples. Of course if you can get to California then Four Seasons Avaria and Marriott Newport Beach are pretty nice. Some in Arizona are nice and a few in Mexico are awesome (be careful of the Mexican timeshare scammers). Some Hilton Head Island units are nice and a few in Palm Beach are great. DVC Aulani is probably the BEST timeshare on the planet.

I am NOT an expert on all timeshares, but have stayed at many Marriott and DVC timeshares and like them. I have visited others such as Westgate, Bluegreen, Worldmark, etc and found the quality pretty spotty. I have even seen a few off name units that I would not want my dog to spend the night there.

As far as your IMPLICATION that anyone who buys a timeshare is a sucker, ignorant, or stupid, I really need to correct you. I can't speak for anyone other than myself - I prefer to own and vacation in about quality timeshares. In addition, I prefer to buy resale and then sell resale (net cost of ownership is usually $0) and have bought from a developer for more than it is worth. but still received great value from the product. I feel that I have never been ripped off (i.e. bought for $30k and sold for $1k).

Timeshares to me allow me to travel to places I want to visit and stay in 2 bedroom units that are more like condos (i.e. home) vs a hotel room. I like having a kitchen for breakfast, snacks, and the occasional alcoholic blenders. I like having a separate bedroom for the kids (adjoining rooms at hotels suck). I also like having a living room and nice flat panel tvs, and large kitchen tables. In addition, my kids love timeshares are many families travel that way and my kids have made dozens of friends all across the USA that they keep in contact with via facebook.

However, what I really like is the ability to stay at these 2 bedroom units at fantastic locations for around $100-150 per night and that is well below the $500-800 per night the resorts typically charge. When I stay at ski resorts, the savings are HUGE.

If I had a net worth or $10m or more, perhaps I would only stay at 5 star resorts, but even if I was that rich, I would still enjoy the top 1-3% of all timeshare resorts as they really are that good.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, TSscammer returns. Just like the naysayers said, nothing new, no details, generic info that any two bit novice would know from a 10 second google search. Just a troll and a fraud, not a real scammer at all, no way no how.

Wait a minute, my 10 second google search didn't turn up quite those details. Hm, and I suppose some of this info was rather detailed, and new, at least to me. Well, I suppose maybe, possibly a little bit, TSscammer could perhaps be an insider?

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't have an M.D. after my name but here is my take from someone who can read people 98% better than most.

1. He is for real
2. He is average as far as IQ but very street smart
3. The whole world revolves around him, we are all just pawns
4. He is emotionless, doesn't get flustered easily
5. He is not afraid of getting caught because fear is not possible with him
6. He loves being the center of attention, in real life he has to keep a low profile but on the internet, he can be one of a group, just the "look at me" one.
7. He gets bored easily, needs a new rush all the time ( which is why going straight is just a pipe dream )
8. He is most people's worst nightmare, a very likeable person who will screw you as easily as he will say hello to you

I really hope you get caught and think there is a 90% chance you will. Then there is always that karma thing which you don't believe in, it's real, ask OJ

Last edited:

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pretty disappointing, I would think a scammer can get a better deal than $400
:hysterical:

I actually wasn't talking to you. I like you. Anybody who retires at 58 (or 57 depending on which month you were born and which month you retired) is an ace in my book.

jrhusky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting and educational read

I'm not quite a timeshare newbie, but I certainly am not as knowledgeable as most of you. I am not as familiar with the scammers tactics and methods so it was an educational read (at least for me). I do find this post refreshing and entertaining (even though it is doubtful the poster is a true scammer). It would be kind of stupid for him to provide all this info to TUG. From reading his post, he sounds like a pretty smart guy. I feel the info and details provided by the alleged scammer will help to insulate the less informed timeshare owners from being scammed in the future. In either case, whether he is a scammer or not, I am glad he posted the information.

Last edited:

TSscammer

Reaction score
Amnesty

I am giving serious thought to unveiling the inner workings of scam operations. I know how each and every one of them operate from top to bottom. I know the safe havens where the money becomes unreachable by the very long arm of American law.

I possess a level of detail that is unmatched by other scammers.

My motivation is sincerely noble. My conscience is killing me.

I would need conditions though, obviously. The most obvious one would be total immunity from prosecution. I'd like to remain anonymous due to security concerns. I'd also like to be able to write a book.

I wouldn't be writing the book for the money. My grandchildren could spend like the Kardashians and even their kids would still be rich. I would use the proceeds to reimburse victims of telemarketing crimes.

I know some of you have connections with law enforcement. Do any of you think this could fly? It would sure bring some much-needed closure to a chapter of my life that I wish I could burn.

The walls aren't closing in on me or anything. I could continue to do this indefinitely without fear of arrest. I genuinely want to change and if anybody here can help me get that set up, I would be in your debt

Reaction score

Where is your trip report and opinion on this so called Timeshare life?

I am giving serious thought to unveiling the inner workings of scam operations. I know how each and every one of them operate from top to bottom. I know the safe havens where the money becomes unreachable by the very long arm of American law.

I would need conditions though, obviously. The most obvious one would be total immunity from prosecution. I'd like to remain anonymous due to security concerns. I'd also like to be able to write a book.

I wouldn't be writing the book for the money. My grandchildren could spend like the Kardashians and even their kids would still be rich. I would use the proceeds to reimburse victims of telemarketing crimes.

I know some of you have connections with law enforcement. Do any of you think this could fly? It would sure bring some much-needed closure to a chapter of my life that I wish I could burn.

The walls aren't closing in on me or anything. I could continue to do this indefinitely without fear of arrest. I genuinely want to change and if anybody here can help me get that set up, I would be in your debt

If you send me $1,000 via Western Union wire transfer, I can help you out.

But seriously, I am willing (and probably more people here will also chip in) and give free advice here online (no need to get all formal).

Step #1 - Start your own Blog. You can register for many free sites, but you should own your own URL. The tricky part will be how to own it, yet remain anonymous (but that really should not be too challenging for you).

A blog will allow you to test some of your ideas, stories, and get feedback from readers. You really should check out Tucker Max and Tim Ferris as they pretty much perfected how to do this and both are NY Times best selling authors (and make Millions) and they both started with blogs.

Step #2 - You may want to contact the FBI for true immunity, but I am no expert on law. Of course if you can lead them to big fish, you probably should have no problems with immunity (but they might want to take some of your money, thus you need to become judgment proof).

Step #3 - Protect your money. I doubt you have so much money your kids and grandkids can live like the Kardashians as they really know how to burn money, but I get your drift. Congrats, if you are a multimillionaire, then you have lots of resources for therapy. It is great you want to reimburse the people you suckered, but that is easier said than done. Have multiple bank accounts, buy annuities, get 529 plans for your kids, buy real estate and pay it off (Florida protects your homestead without limits). Here is my best advice - stash a lot of cash, gold diamonds in hidden safe deposits in different names or bury it in a hole somewhere. Even Bernie Madoff had a hard time accessing cash once he was busted.

Step #4 - Register for twitter and facebook accounts and link to your blog. Chose a cool name like "Master Scammer" or something clever that describes you. Then add content to those to build an audience.

Step #5 - Create some YouTube videos to instruct people on how to avoid being scammed. You can do voice overs or hide your face (aka those silhouetted imaged on 60 Minutes).

Step #6 - Find a charity or volunteer in some role to help people out. This is important as you are probably set for life in terms of money, so you should help other less fortunate people around you and that will go a long way to cleanse your soul. Try Salvation Army, Red Cross, Food banks, house building projects. There are tons of volunteer opportunities.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

There is no doubt that this person has knowledge about potential scams. However, the more I read the more suspect that I become. One of his first posts he states:

"The reason I posted was because it was extremely interesting to me to see how people on the receiving end of the call digested the fact that they've been scammed and the overall thought process of the victim."

He keeps threatening to stop posting but he always comes back. Now he has been enlightened and says he wants to change - with conditions. Is that possible? Sure it is but it is just as likely, if not more likely, that this is a troll who is simply enjoying stringing everyone along to help prove his point that timeshare owners are gullible..

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

What the hell is this crap? Talk about jumping the shark. Get the...out of here with this silliness.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck with that. You have been fun light reading but it's time for you to go away and let karma do it's thing.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cue intro music from Twilight zone: "doo di doo do, doo di doo do"

Enter Deep Male Voice: "You are about to enter... The Twilight Zone"

Music continues: "doo di doo do, doo di doo do".

Any chance that this was for real just went right out the window.

"Abandon Ship, Abandon Ship."