• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Hi. I am a genuine timeshare scammer.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who knows?

That was not my guess, but you could be right...

My own "booted from TUG" reference was actually from some years back. She (a shrill woman from, I believe, western NC) wrote / writes a bit better and more coherently than the content in that link above, but not nearly as well or as eloquently as our mystery "here today / gone tomorrow" supposed scammer.

I.D. hint: It's now well after 5 o'clock, so I'm going to hobble off to make myself a gin and tonic now, in order to better soothe my throbbing foot pain... ;)

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I.D. hint: It's now well after 5 o'clock, so I'm going to hobble off to make myself a gin and tonic now, in order to better soothe my throbbing foot pain... ;)

LOL

Don't mix it with Vicodin -

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reporting his IP addresses (as he probably comes from many) is useless as he is using TOR network (you can google "onion routing" to get an idea).
The only reliable way to catch these fraudsters is by following the money.
Despite what he may think about offshore banks even banks that are otherwise happy to keep drug/nazi money secret become VERY cooperative when originating bank reports fraudulent wire. In fact most banks will freeze account immediately if wire originating bank report fraudulent transactions. For banks transaction security is considered sacred and they all cooperate with each other as they know one day they may be hit.
Of course all this can be done only by proper authorities (FBI in this case since this is federal crime) and unfortunately FBI is overburdened investigating wan-a-be terrorists but every now and then some agents goes after smaller fish especially when pushed by AG.
And his idea that using prepaid cell phones not to be tracked is even more funny - that even makes me suspect he is not for real.
In fact simply using prepaid cellphone makes much more likely your whole conversation and location to be passed to automated systems analyzing calls used by intelligence and law enforcement units.
Almost all of the timeshare scammers that call me personally are using VoIP traffic - it is cheaper and can be routed offshore in a difficult way to trace.
Also in my personal case I suspect they got my info from RCI since I caught some misspelled info that only RCI had.

Its people like you who ruin people's lives with your scam. I can smell a scam from a mile away so be careful. You should be turned in to the local authorities by TUG and your IP address reported. Thanks for admitting your scam and I hope you will go to federal prison.

Note to Moderator you may need to Ban and report this scam to the local authorities with the IP address. I think you are obligated to do so as per local laws.

Last edited:

AResident

Reaction score
Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My guess is Steamboat Bill. To me it reads like the window washer thread.

I did find it very interesting.

Bill

travelplus

Reaction score
When I get a scam call I would do a three way call to my Cousin who is a lawyer so he can be in on the scam too:). I would say hold on just a moment I have someone who would be interested to co-buy the timeshare with . Then I would put him on hold call my Cousin and tell him whats going on and then bring in the timeshare scammer into the call unknown to him he is speaking with a lawyer with many connections. After this my Cousin will pass on everything to the DA's office. My Cousin would ask all the questions playing along while getting the personal info. My Cousin may even wire cash for evidence on the scam and can recoup it once the guys in jail and my Cousin and I get the settlement and wine and dine some good cash:)

Does this sound like a good plan?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this sound like a good plan?

In fantasy land, yes. In reality, no. If the scammer on the line has no idea he is being recorded, the recording might not be admissible as evidence.

Also, wiring money?! The idea why these scammers ask for money to be wired, among other reasons, is to avoid leaving any sort of paper trail. Besides, there's no guarantee this scammer will get caught, let alone prosecuted and imprisoned.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It amazes me that some here still think this guy is for real. Think about it... if he gives concrete facts, he'd be opening himself up to a potential lawsuit from that named source. Therefore, he's only giving out very generalized information. You're not going to get what you want from this hokester.

That only shows how easy it is to fool and scam people. This person doesn't fit the profile of the professional scammer. Scammers are listeners, very good listeners and tell people what they want to hear. They are charming and really interested in other people. This one only likes attention and likes to talk / write. Either it is a failed scammer or a troll! And trolls always pop up during school holidays, on every forum. The advantage with trolls is that they come and go. So this one is probably on its way to another forum!

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Hornswoggle Is As Hornswoggle Does.

So that's how "hornswoggle" is spelled!
How else ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duplicate******

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
That only shows how easy it is to fool and scam people. This person doesn't fit the profile of the professional scammer. Scammers are listeners, very good listeners and tell people what they want to hear. They are charming and really interested in other people. This one only likes attention and likes to talk / write. Either it is a failed scammer or a troll! And trolls always pop up during school holidays, on every forum. The advantage with trolls is that they come and go. So this one is probably on its way to another forum!

So no criminals brag about their crimes? If one is a scammer, they are incapable of gloating? Unless he tells us his birth name, his street address, and all of his company's DBAs, then he must just be some knuckleheasd with idle time on his hands. I do not get why you two refuse to believe that this guy could be legit, not that it matters in the whole scheme of things.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
So no criminals brag about their crimes? If one is a scammer, they are incapable of gloating? Unless he tells us his birth name, his street address, and all of his company's DBAs, then he must just be some knuckleheasd with idle time on his hands. I do not get why you two refuse to believe that this guy could be legit, not that it matters in the whole scheme of things.

No, it doesn't matter but I'm afraid I know too much professionally about scammers and their personality. They don't brag about their crimes, only sometimes about their business deals but often they don't even do that. They are very much to themselves, very private, very calculated, not risky when it comes to their own personal environment, but sneaky with money and their jobs. They are always looking out for deals, ways to fool peeople or fool the taxman.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't matter but I'm afraid I know too much professionally about scammers and their personality. They don't brag about their crimes, only sometimes about their business deals but often they don't even do that. They are very much to themselves, very private, very calculated, not risky when it comes to their own personal environment, but sneaky with money and their jobs. They are always looking out for deals, ways to fool peeople or fool the taxman.

I guess "they" means "all". Thus it is clear that we can dismiss everything this guy/girl says. Your professional insight is most helpful.

George

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
I found out a few things about telephone scammers:

1. Most are in Canada
2. Contact through cold calls, direct mail, broadcast and print ads
A lot of them get you to call them - convenient.
3. Older people are easy targets for various reasons. They may be lonely and just want to talk to someone. Older people don't want to appear rude.
3. The hooks: Travel Packages, Investments, Charities, Reloading Scams, Foreign Lotteries, Medical Discounts, “Expiring” car warranties.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I.D. hint: It's now well after 5 o'clock, so I'm going to hobble off to make myself a gin and tonic now, in order to better soothe my throbbing foot pain...

That's very good.

Could also be Steamboat Bill, but I sure liked him. He was a Disney fanatic like me.

I think he sent some really bad PM's to a few people, though, if I remember correctly.

Spence doesn't write well enough to fool anyone. But he is a smart guy.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We Want The Money. You Have The Money. You Give The Money To Us.

The hooks: Travel Packages, Investments, Charities, Reloading Scams, Foreign Lotteries, Medical Discounts, “Expiring” car warranties.
The cold callers tell us we have an unused $1,200 travel credit left over from some vacation in Florida X years ago, & they start a spiel based on all the outstanding travel benefits we have coming to us from that.

To me, that means the cold callers figure us for the sr. citz. category apt to have forgotten our unused $1,200 credit & thus to go for whatever travel plan, etc., that's being offered.

The cold callers have been pulling that same stunt for enough years now that I know for bald unwavering fact that at no time did I ever sign up for any $1,200 travel deal, nor did I receive anything like that as any timeshare tour freebies at any time.

Having established that beyond any doubt, I just tell the cold callers that their story about some $1,200 credit is flat-out made up & bogus. That usually ends the call.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found out a few things about telephone scammers:

1. Most are in Canada
2. Contact through cold calls, direct mail, broadcast and print ads
A lot of them get you to call them - convenient.
3. Older people are easy targets for various reasons. They may be lonely and just want to talk to someone. Older people don't want to appear rude.
3. The hooks: Travel Packages, Investments, Charities, Reloading Scams, Foreign Lotteries, Medical Discounts, “Expiring” car warranties.

Canada has (more used to have, since they are no longer cost effective with the high dollar) many call centers. Major hotel chains, marketing research etc for all areas of the US... Every city and town I have lived in had these call centers, and the main reason is that Canadians are "accent neutral". When travelling in the US, people always say "we" have accents:) , but regardless, for the most part Canadians are very easy to understand over the phone.

As for telephone scammers, I would have to disagree. Unless you have some proof of that most are located in Canada, I would say your theory is hogwash. I have yet to hear of one TS scam based out of Canada, although I am sure Canada has its proportional number of telephone scammers.

I am sure Canadians are behind all of the Craiglist, Nigerian Money transfers and unclaimed lottery winnings scams as well.:rolleyes:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Canada has (more used to have, since they are no longer cost effective with the high dollar) many call centers. Major hotel chains, marketing research etc for all areas of the US... Every city and town I have lived in had these call centers, and the main reason is that Canadians are "accent neutral". When travelling in the US, people always say "we" have accents:) , but regardless, for the most part Canadians are very easy to understand over the phone.

As for telephone scammers, I would have to disagree. Unless you have some proof of that most are located in Canada, I would say your theory is hogwash. I have yet to hear of one TS scam based out of Canada, although I am sure Canada has its proportional number of telephone scammers.

I am sure Canadians are behind all of the Craiglist, Nigerian Money transfers and unclaimed lottery winnings scams as well.:rolleyes:

Just read an article about the lucrative grandma scam...the article claims most of the scammers are in Canada. Makes sense given your comment about Canadians being 'accent neutral.'

Ingrid

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
timeshare resale scams info :close thread:

i can not believe you are still talking about this guy.. OMG :annoyed:

he/she is gone, forgetaboutit.

my friend in MB at a waste..er westgate resort was telling me the other day they are only getting 35-50 tours a day.. I remember in the good ole days that was the number per hr.

most scammers do not want names from tours.. only 1 in 10-15 or so buy, that might be lower with the crappy econ.

they want names of people trying to sell or long time owners that are tired of there units.

my last post on this thread..

close thread..

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really do hope the OP does change careers. I can't tell you how sad his story has made me. I can't imagine living with the deceit and lies he tells continually to not be caught. Knowing I'm helping people and making a difference in the world, or at least a small part of the world, is so fulfilling to me. It's so easy for people to to justify their selfish choices. Even the OP did, saying something to the effect of, "If they are stupid enough to give out their info, they deserve it." But, in fact, he's hurting himself the most. It's easier for his victims to get on with their lives after losing a few thousand dollars, after all , it's "only money." Whereas he seems to be living a lifetime of fear, shame and guilt. Pathetic, and no amount of money can take those feelings away.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Y'all have been played by the troll. The troll is in some private forum somewhere with some of his buddies, and they're all smirking and laughing together at how easily it was to play you, merely for their amusement.

Last edited:

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'all have been played by the troll. The troll is in some private forum somewhere with some of his buddies, and they're all smirking and laughing together at how easily it was to play you, merely for their amusement.

So right.

i can not believe you are still talking about this guy.. OMG :annoyed:

close thread..

So right. Yes, please close this thread. It is annoying.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ignore --- not just a word in the dictionary, but also an available option on TUG!

<snip> ...please close this thread. It is annoying.

I agree that this thread should already have been long ago euthanized, as well as that the "scammer" is almost certainly an imposter who is merely amusing himself / herself. Frankly, I still appreciated the fact that he / she was at least articulate and quite entertaining, even bordering on eloquent (IMnsHO).

That being said, may I remind all that there is an IGNORE option on TUG's User CP, in which specific names (and all of their past, current and future posts) can be made to "disappear" from your individual view.
It's a really great way to make selected noise, static and annoyance instantly invisible and inaudible --- and stay that way thereafter. My own personal experience and opinion is that this "ignore" option is a welcome and wonderful feature. If only real life outside of TUG offered such a readily available "easy button". :)

Of course, there is always the less technical approach --- if something so annoys you, it is always your choice and your prerogative to simply just don't read it! Speaking only for myself, temporarily sidelined in a heavy cast on a broken foot, I currently have extra time available to be amused --- and have been. ;)

Last edited: