• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] How Many Timeshares Do You Own?

How many timeshare do you own?

• Zero

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • One

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Two

Votes: 54 17.1%
  • Three

Votes: 65 20.6%
  • Four

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • More than Four

Votes: 105 33.2%

• Total voters

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know a lot of folks own only one timeshare. Others own a few. Some own LOTS. Wondering if there is an average out there? How about you? How many do you own, and is that number likely to change? What are your plans?

Take me for example. I currently own three timeshare weeks: Two I bought to use and occasionally exchange, and one is in a mini-system I bought mainly for internal exchanges. This last one hasn't worked as well as I'd hoped, so I'll be giving it up next year, after using the time I've already paid for.

That will leave me with two: An EOY Kauai week, and an Annual Oahu week that trades pretty well. Going forward, plans are to visit Hawaii for two weeks every two years, and exchange or rent the opposite year week in the years we don't travel to Hawaii.

What are your plans for managing what you own?

Dave

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Five, down from seven.
Two winter weeks back to back at first, planned to use them. Children happened, not relaxing to travel w them, then their school schedules interfered, so we rented the weeks out.

When we braved traveling with them we had to go in the summer, so bought two back to back summer weeks resale, then a third. Sold one winter week, rented the other winter week and one summer week out, used two summer weeks.

Bought two cheap weeks intended for trading, did so for awhile, but swimming in maintenance fees and deposits so deeded them back.

Bought another winter week back to back with the one we kept. Now the plan is to rent out the two winter weeks and one summer week, and use the other two summer weeks. The plan doesn't always work, plus we have deposits to use, so we travel w exchanges and either rent out or deposit our own weeks. It'll take a few years to catch up w the deposits.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I own two timeshares, but three weeks. I don't see buying any more at this point.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
About 2.75, lol.

One Hyatt 2BR week
One Starwood 1BR week
110 Disney points, roughly equivalent to 5-6 studio nights per year at Disneyland

The Hyatt and Starwood are great traders and can easily be leveraged into way more time than I could ever use. I really should sell something but I like them all.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only own 1 - DVC - but depending on the size of accommodation and season, we can stay anywhere from 2 weeks to 4/5 weeks.

I don't see us buying any other/more in the future.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Currently I have:

- Westin Kierland Plat 2-bed, which I use for internal trading and, on average, get ~19 nights per year in a 1-bed unit.
- Westin Mission Hills summer 2-bed EOY, which I split and deposit in II for great exchanges.
- 2, Sheraton Vistana Resort Falls fixed 2-bed non-LO weeks, which I deposit in II (also with great trades).
- Sheraton Desert Oasis 2-bed EOY, which I bought here on TUG earlier this year and intend on splitting and depositing with II.

I expect to give away some of these (err...check the marketplace!) and reorganize a bit further next year. Every time I consider buying a different network I realize that the trades I get from having Starwood weeks for another Starwood via II have been great, so why change a winning plan (#WINNING!)? I suspect I'll always consider another network, and am still interested in Hyatt and a Marriott for Marriott trading. I stay at Marriott's via II Getaway at least once or twice a year, and have rented at a Hyatt earlier this year - I still prefer Westin (and Four Seasons, of course!).

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We have 3 active timeshare + one in BK.
  • 1 Week "EOY" (but a single RCI deposit typically secures 2 weeks via trade)
  • Worldmark points (roughly good for 2 high-season weeks of 2BR)
  • DVC points (roughly 1 high-season week of 1BR)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

We currently own 13 weeks. We spend June in Mazatlan and November in Puerto Vallarta. We have 5 weeks that we only have to pay M F on when we go and tend to use those for when family joins us on vacation and we need extra units. More than 1/2 were purchased resale and some were then used to upgrade to nicer units with the developers.

We have bought and sold many timeshares since 1991 and have finally settled on the ones we like best and own there.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score

First bought an RCI points (resale) at a resort near our house for no reason other than day use of the facility. Bought another RCI points EOY at the same resort because they limit total guests to 6 per ownership and we wanted to bring the nieces and nephews.

Then we tried - just for the heck of it - our first exchange. We realized pretty quickly that we LOVE timeshares. With kids there is no greater luxury than a kitchen, laundry and a living room!

Since then we have bought a week at Harbor Ridge (we love the resort and its great to trade) and just picked up a wyndham club access point package just to see if we like it...

I'd like to buy one or two more weeks but I'm starting to get picky. I guess in hindsight I got some pretty good deals with the first ones I bought because I haven't been able to find anything as good since!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
14 Marriotts. 12 full and 2 EOY. All Marriotts of course. Best decision I ever made for my family to invest in Marriott.

After 11 years of ownership my rent/use program still works like a charm and I don't see that changing. I would actually look to add but the really great deals that were out there over the last few years are gone.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Five

One we own in Australia that gives us our RCI points
One we own in Florida which gives us our Wyndham points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation that we use to trade through II
Two Marriott OceanWatch weeks that we use every year

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
5 resorts 8 weeks

DVC SSR - 1wk in 2 BR own to use and occasionally rent
DVC OKW - 1 wk in 2 BR own to use

Sheraton Broadway Plantation - 2 weeks - bought to use when kids moved to east coast but no one has enough vacation to use yet. So I have been getting great trades with it.

Dikhololo 3 weeks - use to trade - I get a good return on MF/TPU ratio

Rayburn Country Club - use to trade RCI points. It takes two years of points for a good trade. But used this to get into Hilton Club in NY.

I use alot of my trades to give to my employees as just a perk. I pay for a one week vacation for everyone that works for me. My TSs have made doing this more affordable.

I bought the DVC direct; everything else, resale.

elaine

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 here

1 fixed week user.

1 mini system for internal exchanges

1 in RCI Points for RCI exchanges and last calls/specials.

Seems about right for now.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
2 resorts, 3 weeks that can also be converted to Marriott hotel or timeshare Points. Seems to be enough for us because we love our Marriott trips and add some non-timeshare travel throughout the year.

I'd like to own Disney but Don and I are about as far apart on that as it's possible to be; the whole Disney World experience is either in your blood or it's not and for him it's not. Can't argue about that kind of intangible so every few years we rent DVC Points from an owner or do cash stays to satisfy my jones. As long as he ends most of the days there with a margherita at Mexico in Epcot then we're both happy. :D

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We're Cutting Back Now That We're Hard Core Old Folks.

We still have a triennial 2BR deed at Vacation Village At Parkway (RCI Points), Kissimmee FL.

Plus, we have a biennial 3BR straight-weeks unit at Cypress Pointe Resort, Orlando FL.

Both are resales -- 1 via eBay, the other from the former private owner.

Together, those 2 don't even add up to the equivalent of 1 whole annual timeshare unit.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We own 9 now... :eek:

I can't help it - free ones keep following me home! ;)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
11 in all-
(for us, our grad-school kids & friends, & my staff. 3-hr drive from all)

7 Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 4
Barony x 2.
OceanWatch x 1

4 other:
Waterside/Hilton Head x 2............ both 3-BR/3bath, annual,weeks 1-52.
Sheraton Broadway Plantation/Myrtle Beach x 2.......annual, weeks 9-47.

BUT, I don't have a BMW, like the OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
4 and a quarter

2 weeks at Banff (winter and summer)
1 week Fairmont Resort Hillside golden season
.25 in Holiday park Kelowna (an EOY week 32 we share with friends)
10,000 worldmark points

When I bought worldmark I said it would be the last timeshare I'd need but I would like a Marriott or Starwood for the preference in II. As a teacher though I still might not be able to pull these resorts as aI always need holiday time.

Joan:D

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 Resorts, 3 weeks. Hopefully 1 resort, 2 weeks soon (one 1-BR and one 2-BR lockoff). Trying to do some portfolio repositioning, and then may add a week back into the mix, going back up to 3 weeks, either 1 or 2 resorts.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only one since 1997. RCI did me a favor with TPUs, now I have even more exchanges available. Unfortunately, my kids don't have much interest in using any of them.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
One, soon to be two (one and a half?)

1 fixed week in Mazatlan where I bake every mid July
1 EOY floating week (transfer in process) in South Lake Tahoe

I thought the recent Tahoe purchase would quell the thirst, but I keep finding myself looking at the eBay auctions. Yes, I want a week at the Lindo Mar in PV.

rwpeterson

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We own 4 - all resales. Bought our 1st one after lurking on TUG for over 2 years. We use 2 and trade 2. We have enjoyed many trips with our now grown children, lots of wonderful memories and so many more to make!

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own four - three annuals that I use (one of which I would actually like to off load), and a biennial 2 BR lock off that I have picked up to trade.