• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] How Many Timeshares Do You Own?

How many timeshare do you own?

• Zero

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • One

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Two

Votes: 54 17.1%
  • Three

Votes: 65 20.6%
  • Four

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • More than Four

Votes: 105 33.2%

• Total voters

Barbs44

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, MROP RCI Points, Winners Circle, Mountain Retreat, Carlsbad Seapointe, Welk Resort - Excondido
Weeks + Points

We have a Marriott 2bdrm lock-off in Las Vegas that we either exchange or convert to points for cruises and a separate Marriott points membership. After the first of this year, 3 were bought from eBay for from $1 with closing fees to $601 without any fees or maintenance for this year (a floating gold season 2 bdrm near daughters in No. Calif., a set week 1 bdrm on beach near daughter in San Diego, & another with 40,000 RCI points).

I am loving the flexibility of the points (this year traded points for an Alaskan cruise for granddaughter's grad present & in 2014 looking at using points for white water rafting trip for grandson's grad present).

But I also like the reliability of the set summer week during the San Diego County Fair when my granddaughters there will be showing their entries and we can also enjoy the beach scene with them. And a summer getaway to beat the heat in the High Sierras with grandkids in Northern Calif.

This combo seems to be the best for us, so far.

ginnylbs

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own seven - all two bedroom units

Monarch Grand Vacation - 2 weeks
Monarch Grand Vacation - 1 week
Jockey Club - 1 week yearly
Jockey Club - 1 week yearly
Royal Sunset - Cancun - every other year
Marriott Cypress Harbor - 1 week yearly
Kona Coast II- every other year

Just recently - we gave away one week at Monarch Grand Vacations - leaving us with just the seven listed above. We still have too many as we do not seem to travel as much with the family. Plan on unloading a few more over the next year.
Ginny

Last edited:

rcollinsny

TUG Member
Reaction score

We own 21 Wyndham points contracts for approximately 6.5 million points. We bought 2 contracts from Wyndham for 1.2 million points and another 19 contracts for 5+ million points on the resale market. We use 1 million points for personal usage and rent the other 5.5 million points. Our rental business has gone so well, we now rent points for other Wyndham owners. This year we already have over 100 rentals using approximately 9 million points. We have been doing this for 3 years and our business has tripled each year.

We will not be buying any additional contracts since we are working with points from other owners and in fact may start selling some of our contracts over the next couple of years as we pick up more points from other Wyndham owners.

The rental business takes an immense amount of time but is also very gratifying! In our retirement, I think we are working more hours than we did when employed by others!!:confused: But at least we are having fun helping others get a great vacation at a reasonable cost.

MLR

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every Other ODD year on the Big Island - Paniolo Greens

We have used our home resort several times and enjoy it - but have banked with RCI the last few years and gotten some decent trades from it. If we are careful we can get 3 vacations - and sometimes 4 for our one Hawaii week. It seems to be a good trader.

You have to watch RCI though and make sure they actually bank the week you have reserved. They tried to pull a switcheroo on us this last time. We had booked xmas week and they tried to tell me that they couldn't bank that week or give me the full trading power that showed up in their calculator - so I contacted Paniolo directly and they helped us get what the RCI website said our week was actually worth. But, ya gotta watch em.

A year ago in June we used a week in Branson. Just this year we had a week in Cancun in April and will have 2 weeks on Isla Mujeres in Dec. 2012. Then next Dec. 2013 we have a week at Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Big Island.

We still have points left over! Enough for a week or two more if we stay in the 50 contiguous states and don't go too fancy. So far, we are satisfied with banking and trading. More vacations is always a GOOD thing and we don't need to buy another timeshare!

We have no plans to buy another tmeshare.

MauiLea

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
FOUR. I bought 2 resales, 1 on ebay and 1 from Disney Vacation Club.

I am in the midst of downsizing to THREE, by deeding back one of them.... I am always tempted to pick up another resale, but I try to remind myself that my child may not want all these (and the associated maintenance payments) in the future.

Of the remaining THREE, one is deeded and the other two are RTU and will expire at some point.

Steve

Reaction score
nothin' like riding up to any resort in the Beemer.......just makes the week more special.

Marty,

I have to agree with this. In 2010, I drove my Beemer all the way from Utah to Grande Ocean on Hilton Head Island. What a great road trip! I liked the look of my BMW parked under the huge oak trees with the Spanish Moss hanging down. :)

Steve

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

0 owned now and never owned one

I am surprised at how many own multiple TS. I would have guessed that ONE would be the most common.

I have been studying for about a year and a half so far. I have made the leap with one purchase attempt that fell through, another attempt in which i was second in line for a freebie (and I suspect the one who got it is going to flip it for a profit because it was worth something), and one offer that is pending.

I think I am crazy to be considering a TS. Maybe I need to slow down and do some more research... :ponder:

larfraz

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We oen a total of 7 weeks. We own 2 timeshars in Arkansas and found that it was nearlly impossible to trade them for Spring Break 2 units at same place. I bought 2 weeks with Perennial Vacation Club so we could reserve 2 units at the same one of their 6 properties. We enjoyed these so much that we bought 3 addition Perennial Vacation Club weeks. We have 3 units at Lake Tahoe reserved for 2013 Spring Break. Larry

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 21 Wyndham points contracts for approximately 6.5 million points. We bought 2 contracts from Wyndham for 1.2 million points and another 19 contracts for 5+ million points on the resale market. We use 1 million points for personal usage and rent the other 5.5 million points. Our rental business has gone so well, we now rent points for other Wyndham owners. This year we already have over 100 rentals using approximately 9 million points. We have been doing this for 3 years and our business has tripled each year.

We will not be buying any additional contracts since we are working with points from other owners and in fact may start selling some of our contracts over the next couple of years as we pick up more points from other Wyndham owners.

The rental business takes an immense amount of time but is also very gratifying! In our retirement, I think we are working more hours than we did when employed by others!!:confused: But at least we are having fun helping others get a great vacation at a reasonable cost.

This is awesome. I love to hear when people do creative things with their TS ownership. I do something similar with Marriott and would like to take it to the next level but can't find more low cost weeks that fit my model to add to my portfolio.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marty,

I have to agree with this. In 2010, I drove my Beemer all the way from Utah to Grande Ocean on Hilton Head Island. What a great road trip! I liked the look of my BMW parked under the huge oak trees with the Spanish Moss hanging down. :)

Steve

Steve, that's an image hard to forget....hope you took some pics. And I can tell you truly enjoyed it.......it's got to be fun riding around the island like you did, not to mention the whole trip. Might as well be stylin'....

Susanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own two weeks of Oceanfront at Marriott
Aruba Ocean Club. Purchased November,
1999 "pre-construction". We use it every
year as we love it there. Have never
regretted it. The view is spectacular
from the ocean front balconies and well
worth the extra money vs "ocean view".
Great incentives when we purchased
(two round trip American Airlines
tickets, one week at any Marriott, eight
days car rental). We would have
purchased even without the incentive,
as it was exactly what we wanted.

Last edited:

reggieswife

Reaction score
I presently own 4 timeshares.

I am in the process of giving away 2 of them (hope it goes through)

Hopefully the last 2 will go on ebay and then I'll be free...

I went through the donate to charity thing and found that it would cost me over 10k. I backed out of that one quickly.

bbakernbay

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
4 weeks at Lago Vista at BVL in Kissimmee
1 week at Fairfield Glade - Stonecastle bought on ebay
1 week at Palm Beach Resort & Beach Club - bought for $1 on ebay incl. closing costs
1 week at Club Sevilla - Points -

Never wasted a week in almost 25 years
Have been all over Canada & USA exchanging with great results every year.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wellllll....... 5, but 4 are for sale ATM. Even though I want all of them, it is in my best interest to downsize. So, I listed 4 and when 3/4 leave me, I'll keep whichever one is left plus my HGVC which was my most recent TS.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
too many..LOL....we own about 10 weeks...mid life crisis at that time..but we use each and every one( or kids do or we rent rarely)..and I love em..:eek:

jba31857

Reaction score
Marriott Newport Coast Villias

We own 4 weeks at NCV We do 2 weeks in Aug and 2 weeks in Sep. We live in Scottsdale and drive over the hill to our spot on the most beautiful coast there is. Perfect location and friends and family love to join us. No trading to anywhere. We want to be here. :):cheer:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 or 3?

How to count?

We own one red summer week in Branson at Ozark Mountain Resort (fixed week). In addition to the week we get free bonus time of 1-6 days based on availability. We can do this as often as it is available, at any Silverleaf property, as long as there is 7 days between checkout and checkin. (Silverleaf no longer sells this type of membership.)

We also own two Wyndham point contracts, one 77k yearly (expires in 2021) and one 168k biennial. We haven't been to too many Wyndham resorts yet but we hope to over the years.

To make it easier on myself, I think of it as having 2 timeshares: Wyndham and Silverleaf. Each one gives me one or more weeks per year.

hararou

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I own two lockouts in Williamsburg so we have 4 weeks to trade. Each of the 4 units sleeps six and has two full baths. We bought the first in 1995 and the second in 1996. We bought them originally because we worked overseas and wanted a place to live in when we returned to the U.S. that was better than a hotel, and was close enough to friends and family and could accommodate them easily. For the first 10 years we owned them, we generally used 2 or 3 weeks and traded the other 1 or 2. Now that we are retired, we usually trade 3 of the 4 weeks but, depending on how many in the family are coming, we sometimes only trade two. We may sell one of the lockouts in the next couple of years depending on the market and how much we plan to travel not using timeshares. We don't expect to get much, if anything, for it when we sell and like many owners we have our issues with owning timeshares (e.g., maintenance costs that seem to consistently outpace inflation, annoying and deceptive calls from management every time we check in trying to get us to convert from weeks to points, etc.). But, overall, owning the timeshares has worked out okay for us, and we've enjoyed using the timeshares and trading for other places over the years. We don't plan to purchase any more but wouldn't hesitate recommending timeshares to others as long they don't purchase new (we did - didn't know any better at the time) and do their homework before purchasing (e.g., check maintenance fees, read TUG reviews, and think about what they expect to get out of it).

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Four - one triennial, three annual. I usually can leverage 4 ownerships into 5 to 7 weeks of vacation :D

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Too many

HGVC x 3 - Flamingo(4,800 points), Seaworld(5,000 points) & HHV Lagoon Tower (7,000 points EOY) (bought for future stays on Oahu)
WorldMark - 6,000 credits (my trader for II & RCI)
DVC - 50 points (like the option of renting points from other owners when I need more rooms or bigger accomodations
SVN - SVV Bella (81,000 points EOY) (bought for Hawaii & Harborside)
FSRC - Aviara (Gold Season) (bought to use)

I don't need anymore weeks /points. I may sell one or more of my weeks in the next 5 years - Sheraton Vistana Village, Flamingo, Seaworld and Aviara.

I'll eventually cutback to one or two weeks as we get closer to retirement. My vacation plans during retirement includes last minute cruise deals, travel zoo deals, exchange company getaways, etc.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We own too many as well. You can see by looking at the list under our username:
<-----------

We own two Marriott Willow Ridge Plat lock-offs
Several SBP, both 2 beds and 2 bed lock-offs
Only one EOY SDO
Two Foxrun
Five Val Chatelle
Two Twin Rivers
RCI Points
DVC Points
Shell Points (12,225 per year)
Wyndham Points
Couple of Pono Kai
Hono Koa oceanfront
Sands of Kahana
And a few others

Last edited:

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy with 4

We own four. Only one 2bd split from the developer (Marriott), which we love and bought in 1994. The other three were bought on ebay. We like the fixed weeks and enjoy 5 weeks of vacation, sometimes six or seven with getaways. So glad we are retired now!!!