• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Age at Initial Purchase

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
I don't with to pry, and if folks feel uncomfortable stating it, I encourage them to ignore my question, but I'm curious to know at what age people made their first purchase into HGVC or their first timeshare.

From the marketing materials, I get the idea that Hilton thinks their customers are empty-nesters & baby boomers, not Gen-Xers like myself.

Reading the TUG boards, I get the feeling I'm one of the youngest. I bought in at 29 (I'm now 38), and while I know I overpaid, I'm not as upset about it as I would be if I had bought in later in life, since I have plenty of years to enjoy and make the most of my ownership.

I'm also getting a sense that as a single woman, I'm in a distinct minority when it comes to HGVC ownership. Not that I've been treated poorly or in anyway been discriminated against, but I don't get the sense that I'm the norm when it comes to owners.

I find it fascinating to read about how others think about and use their points. So thanks to all the regular contributors and newbies like me asking questions.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
48 and single man. Although I've been involved in the TS industry for almost 20 years.

My kid is a Freshman in HS so I'm not quite an empty nester yet!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Single woman also --- not Hyatt owner --- Wyndham owner. Brought in my middle 50's.

While you might feel you are YOUNG, I think TUG timeshare owners are YOUNGER acting than our age and counterparts. Us TUGGERS are more computer literate than our peer groups (the over 50 year olds) or over 60 yos or over 70 yos and YES, we have members and active 80+ yos.

We are social connected to cyber-friends and associates. We try VERY NEW things - we ask advice - we learn new stuff ALL the time - we will travel at the drop of the hat - we travel solo - we are learning all the time.

The real question is: Are you NORMAL HERE in our TUG universe or do you want to be NORMAL in the Hyatt timeshare sales marketplace?

Last edited:

conarth

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I bought our first at the age of 35. We were using my dads HGVC for years and needed more points so we started buying our own. We mother in law also owns Wyndham and we've been using that for years also. After "borrowing" points from both sides we decided on HGVC. The flexibility of the system fits our needs perfectly.

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was 27 and single.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in my 40s when I first bought, but wanted to since I was 30. My youngest is 16. We are self employed and taking a week off wasn't even an option until a few years ago.

I do agree that on the whole, timesharing seems to attract more of an older crowd. I think it is because others don't have the time and money for it.
That is probably why the marketing focuses more on the older crowd.

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
I've never been normal anywhere I've been, physical or cyber. And I'm definitely not your typical disaffected Gen-Xer, but I cannot deny that the year of my birth falls in the midst of that demographic.

I'm friends with many an older person thanks to my hobbies (knitting and reading Jane Austen). The depth of skills in the Greatest Generation is not to be underestimated, nor their ability to learn new skills. My friend Darlene is closing in on 80 and travels the world like she's still 25 and adapts new tech like a tween. My parents are in their mid 60s and some of the coolest people I know, even though my mom can't figure out her phone.

I find myself wanting to buy more points but stymied by my lack of vacation time to actually use the points! Talk about ironic, I've got time (in the long term sense of the word) to make another timeshare purchase pencil out, but not the time (in the immediate sense of the word) to use it.

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought mine (resale) in SoBe in early 30s, single male.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were a little late to the party. Bought our first (at resale) in early 50's. We're making up for lost time now, though.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were a little late to the party. Bought our first (at resale) in early 50's. We're making up for lost time now, though.

I thought you owned in VRI or MROP or something like that?

workshy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Husband and I are both 38 with two kids. Bought in our early 30s at Sea World. With two kids (12 & 5), we knew TS vacationing is the best option for us. We like the extra space plus the full kitchen. We feel cramped in regular hotel rooms.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I was in my 40s when I first bought, but wanted to since I was 30. My youngest is 16. We are self employed and taking a week off wasn't even an option until a few years ago.

I do agree that on the whole, timesharing seems to attract more of an older crowd. I think it is because others don't have the time and money for it.
That is probably why the marketing focuses more on the older crowd.

I think the flexibility of the newer products helps too. I rarely take a one week vacation. (although I'm trying to change that!).

My son has a few long weekends in his school schedule and we'll do a five night Hawaii trip in January.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Age Purchased

Hi
My husband purchased his first timeshare at 25yrs old and single. I purchased my first timeshare at 28 and single. Since then we purchased a lot more weeks resale.
I am seeing a lot younger people traveling and purchasing timeshares from our recent trips. We Love them and have enjoyed meeting owners and traveling places we would have never visited if we were not owners.

You get to meet some very nice people with Timesharing and especially TUG!!

Cyn

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Bought the first timeshare (Worldmark) when I was 38, but began studying timeshares when I was 34.

Now 46, and have been buying them at a clip of one per year, it seems like. I've sold two in that span -- both times so I could then justify :eek: buying HGVC properties...

Best,

Greg

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my first timeshare in 1981, when I was 34. It was at a brand new Sanibel Island Florida resort, when timesharing was a pretty new concept. That resort later became an HGVC affiliate, is worth more now than what I paid then, and I've had over 30 years of great vacations on Sanibel

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Late thirties, married, with a 4 y.o. child. Having a young child was a major factor in the purchase decision, as that really changed how we vacationed.

If we were younger when we had our child, we most likely would have ended up in a cheaper timeshare system (if at all), but being a bit older I think affected our travel preferences, so we ended up in a more upscale system.

Kurt

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have a letter from my doctor saying I'm absolutely normal. He abbreviated it so it reads ab normal but I bought my first TS when I was 50. Married with 2 children aged 16 and 17.

I bought one this year at age 65 so it likes I'm not done yet.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
once again it looks like Im the the odd man out

Bought my first timeshare 2 years ago at age 64

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I was a single women and 30 when I purchased my Fairfield which became Wyndham.

I was married (actually on that same day) that I purchased my Bay Club, which became HGVC. I was 32.

I am now 49 and single again, (1 year ago tomorrow). I kept the timeshares in my divorce.

Empty nester, but extended family use the timeshares.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
My first TS was a VRI & another fixed week resort when I was around 35.
I was renting TS's for around 10 years before I finally made a purchase.

I bought into HGVC 3 years ago so I was 45 on that purchase.
I know a few single women in their 30's and 40's who own HGVC.
HGVC appeals to me as a single lady because I generally feel more secure staying at their resorts by myself.
I rarely travel alone but would be comfortable doing so in most of the HGVC resorts.
Can't say the same about many other TS's that I've visited.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rarely travel alone but would be comfortable doing so in most of the HGVC resorts. Can't say the same about many other TS's that I've visited.

That's a really good point. I'd be very comfortable staying in HHV alone. I was thinking that would be good way to save on airfare! I'd only have to buy one ticket. :eek: I really did have that passing thought..... I'd be totally comfortable there, other than feeling guilty for leaving other people behind.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Age 34

I was 34 and my partner was 41 when we first bought in. Now 58 and 65. However, really started getting in to it when I was about 45 and got into resale.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
once again it looks like Im the the odd man out

Bought my first timeshare 2 years ago at age 64

You really jumped in the deep end too Ron, I'm impressed with how you corner your unique markets like a TS baron :)

I was 47 and it was a 5 night HGVC trip to Lagoon in the dreaded *68 stack, right after 9/11, place was deserted. We bought EOY. We added 2 nights at the Marriott Waikiki hotel and passed on all the Ko Olina tours, why go all the way out there? was our thinking.

JenMuse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Seaworld EOEY
HGVC appeals to me as a single lady because I generally feel more secure staying at their resorts by myself. I rarely travel alone but would be comfortable doing so in most of the HGVC resorts. Can't say the same about many other TS's that I've visited.

The safety factor was important to me because I enjoy solo travel, even more so now than when I bought. Been to 4 HGVC resorts and felt perfectly safe at each one.