• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2016 ] Palmera Vacation Club

ed silberhorn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gold Crown at Los Olas in Satellite Beach, Florida
I am convinced now we got totally scammed and wanted to know if anyone has gotten out of the contract once they realized they have been a victim of fraud
Try calling Joe DuBois, esq. on HHI --- depending on your facts and circumstances you may well be able to either cancel the contract or sue for treble damages.
I am convinced now we got totally scammed and wanted to know if anyone has gotten out of the contract once they realized they have been a victim of fraud

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would you or anyone else be able to describe the process of getting paid by Palmera for your trade-in. I've tried contacting them but they will not respond and I'm getting worried that we were scammed!

I don't know anything about Palmera VC or whether you (and / or Athena Starbright) were "scammed", but I have never before heard of a "trade in" situation anywhere which resulted in the "donor" actually receiving cash back later. More bluntly stated, I simply don't believe it, but will gladly stand corrected after examining a verifiable report (or several) to the contrary. A single claim from a brand new TUG registrant (Gbelcinia) does not convince or persuade me at all, frankly. Most "traded in" timeshares in the U.S. end up listed on eBay for a dollar under a granted PoA. In Mexico, they often don't even bother to do that much, instead later extracting even more money from the "donor" to "allow" them to just keep their intended trade in.

Unfortunately, anything and everything stated (orally) by sales weasels during the "pitch" means absolutely nothing. Only the content found between the four corners of the contract really means anything at all. In fact, the contract itself likely states exactly that, clearly and in writing. Smiling (but lying) sales weasel verbal claims and promises just constitutes meaningless noise temporarily floating around in the air; no more and no less.

I wish you luck, but the word "fraud" has been tossed around in this thread and I respectfully submit that a whole lot more than recollections of sales weasel verbal statements is required to successfully make a case for "fraud". IMnsHO, once past the applicable state law rescission period, the "donor" is likely SOL unless PVC voluntarily steps up to grease and quiet a squeaky enough wheel, with or without the squeaky wheel obtaining legal counsel. I won't presume to speculate on the odds of success, but I personally wouldn't be willing to place that bet at all. Nonetheless, good luck.

Last edited:

ed silberhorn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are right in stating that you don't know anything about Palmera Vacation Club's sales practices -- but try reading the SC Unfair Trade Practices Act and you will learn that
"misrepresentation" and other similar "unfair trade practices" (oral or otherwise) are illegal in South Carolina and subject to attorney fees and treble damages. The deal some were allegedly promised to get people to buy (trade-in credit for our existing time-share against the purchase price of one of their time-shares) has not come to fruition so far -- that's why we are writing about it and trying to better understand our options. You are right about the contractual situation but "bait and switch" fraud, if that's indeed what happened to us, trumps contract disclaimers in SC.

Last edited:

ed silberhorn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are right in stating that you don't know anything about Palmera Vacation Club's sales practices -- but try reading the SC Unfair Trade Practices Act and you will learn that
"misrepresentation" and other similar "unfair trade practices" (oral or otherwise) are illegal in South Carolina and subject to attorney fees and treble damages. The deal some were allegedly promised to get people to buy (trade-in credit for our existing time-share against the purchase price of one of their time-shares) has not come to fruition so far -- that's why we are writing about it and trying to better understand our options. You are right about the contractual situation but "bait and switch" fraud, if that's indeed what happened to us, trumps contract disclaimers in SC.

Starbright

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Island Links, Coral Reef, Disney
Thank you for your input I totally agree and but you have to figure that you hire a lawyer it can take years and years to settle, in the meantime you are in a state of limbo. I cannot believe we were so stupid. I guess because we have dealt with Island Links for years I thought that they were honest. And yes it is totally a "bait and switch" and fraud in my estimation. The other question is why would they do this to people that have been good owners of timeshares and paid there maintenance every year? And in our case our timeshare is fully paid for. I be darned if we will ever give them another cent and that is why bothers me about the lawyer thing because we are already out 16,000 bucks

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is arguing that what happened to you was somehow right, or even legal.

the party above was merely pointing out that without proof of this, its merely a he said she said situation where the resort/vacation club/salesman will simply say you misunderstood what he said during the sales presentation and still signed the contract without reading it and within that contract there is of course no mention of the items that were discussed orally.

its a despicable situation that plays out every single day in the timeshare world...one that has been fine tuned over the past 30+ years to swindle owners out of money using the fact that they trust the salesperson in front of them and dont actually read the contract they are signing!

Starbright

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dont think anyone is arguing that what happened to you was somehow right, or even legal.

the party above was merely pointing out that without proof of this, its merely a he said she said situation where the resort/vacation club/salesman will simply say you misunderstood what he said during the sales presentation and still signed the contract without reading it and within that contract there is of course no mention of the items that were discussed orally.

its a despicable situation that plays out every single day in the timeshare world...one that has been fine tuned over the past 30+ years to swindle owners out of money using the fact that they trust the salesperson in front of them and dont actually read the contract they are signing!
Agreed, so I guess we are in a no win situation, a he said she said!!!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its certainly ugly for sure...and just to be clear...I have no doubt you were mislead during the presentation...or at the very least told things that were "partially true" but phrased in a way to make you think something completely different...it happens all the time!

but a wise lawyer once told me....even if you are 100% in the right...how much is it worth to you to prove you are right?

$5000 bucks?
$50,000 bucks?

entering the legal world each of those numbers can apply with ease....with practically zero chance of you ever seeing the money you spent "being right" ever again as itll just go into your attorneys pockets win or lose! (and the chances youd ever recover any money already paid are even more slim)

I would however report the issue to both my states Atty Generals office, and every state said company has an office in. If there is any outfit equipped to seek justice and restitution for customers who have been scammed, its an AGs office! However they are only going to go after companies when enough individuals report the crime and sadly too many people just suck up the loss and never report it!

ed silberhorn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your input I totally agree and but you have to figure that you hire a lawyer it can take years and years to settle, in the meantime you are in a state of limbo. I cannot believe we were so stupid. I guess because we have dealt with Island Links for years I thought that they were honest. And yes it is totally a "bait and switch" and fraud in my estimation. The other question is why would they do this to people that have been good owners of timeshares and paid there maintenance every year? And in our case our timeshare is fully paid for. I be darned if we will ever give them another cent and that is why bothers me about the lawyer thing because we are already out 16,000 bucks
its certainly ugly for sure...and just to be clear...I have no doubt you were mislead during the presentation...or at the very least told things that were "partially true" but phrased in a way to make you think something completely different...it happens all the time!

but a wise lawyer once told me....even if you are 100% in the right...how much is it worth to you to prove you are right?

$5000 bucks?
$50,000 bucks?

entering the legal world each of those numbers can apply with ease....with practically zero chance of you ever seeing the money you spent "being right" ever again as itll just go into your attorneys pockets win or lose! (and the chances youd ever recover any money already paid are even more slim)

I would however report the issue to both my states Atty Generals office, and every state said company has an office in. If there is any outfit equipped to seek justice and restitution for customers who have been scammed, its an AGs office! However they are only going to go after companies when enough individuals report the crime and sadly too many people just suck up the loss and never report it!

Not sure if Ms. Starbright has reported it but I am aware the whole sales scheme has been reported and the response has been that SC does not allow class actions for this sort of matter and these alleged timeshare scams are not pursued by the Attoney General when a private cause of action is available according to what an HHI attorney who deals in these matters said. It is illegal to misrepresent though and the Plaintiff is allowed attorney fees and treble damages according to the statue in question as I have been led to understand it.

ed silberhorn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure if Ms. Starbright has reported it but I am aware the whole sales scheme has been reported and the response has been that SC does not allow class actions for this sort of matter and these alleged timeshare scams are not pursued by the Attoney General when a private cause of action is available according to what an HHI attorney who deals in these matters said. It is illegal to misrepresent though and the Plaintiff is allowed attorney fees and treble damages according to the statue in question as I have been led to understand it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

uh...say what? that is one of the most basic functions of any attorney generals office. they even have their own page dedicated to consumer scams where you can report it.

http://www.consumer.sc.gov/Pages/Scams.aspx

by chance did this "Attorney who deals in these matters" want you to pay him a retainer and become his client? Id run screaming from any attorney who actually made those claims.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

ed silberhorn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
uh...say what? that is one of the most basic functions of any attorney generals office. they even have their own page dedicated to consumer scams where you can report it.

http://www.consumer.sc.gov/Pages/Scams.aspx

by chance did this "Attorney who deals in these matters" want you to pay him a retainer and become his client? Id run screaming from any attorney who actually made those claims.

No -- he sent me a legitimate CD of a hearing before the SC Supreme Court where he was effectively arguing that the Attorney General should change its policies on timeshares via mandamus -- the decision has not been rendered as of yet but when it is I'll post it!

Starbright

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No -- he sent me a legitimate CD of a hearing before the SC Supreme Court where he was effectively arguing that the Attorney General should change its policies on timeshares via mandamus -- the decision has not been rendered as of yet but when it is I'll post it!
Thank you all I appreciate your input. Tug and silberhorn have good advice. It still makes thou sick to lose 16000 bucks. There were some people from NY staying at the same time and the guy was a CPA I wonder if they realize the scam. At this point I will ever set foot there ever again. Elder abuse for those over 65 should be considered

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id still file the complaint...you have nothing to lose by doing so...and if enough people complain...the AGs office will act.

Most government agencies abide by the "its not my problem" attitude until it becomes a large enough problem to commit funds and manpower towards it.

also north carolina seems to be quite active against timeshare scams, with an entire seciton of the AGs website dedicated to it. have you filed a complaint there as well as a resident of that state?

Starbright

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed Silverhorn and I will ---and Tug we had friends that spent 37,000 fighting for something they felt right about and all they got was lost money. So lawyers are not my cup a tea because as I said it takes years and more of your money. I hope to hear from other people that have been scammed.

OntarioGuy

Reaction score
Any suggestions here, I just purchased 2000 points, and after reading the thread I am seeing a few people who feel Palmera is a scam, and a few that feel it is legit, really makes it hard to decide whether to follow through or not. So here is my question, if anyone has ever come across it. I have only put a small deposit on the points, the balance is due soon, or I can put it on financing. If I decide this is a scam and default from the remainder of the contract, anyone know of any ramifications that could occur? Would Palmera try to get the balance of the money? I am Ok with loosing the small deposit, but dont know if I want to put up the balance till I can judge for myself if this is legit.

jkfissjr

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Plan with Tan
Any suggestions here, I just purchased 2000 points, and after reading the thread I am seeing a few people who feel Palmera is a scam, and a few that feel it is legit, really makes it hard to decide whether to follow through or not. So here is my question, if anyone has ever come across it. I have only put a small deposit on the points, the balance is due soon, or I can put it on financing. If I decide this is a scam and default from the remainder of the contract, anyone know of any ramifications that could occur? Would Palmera try to get the balance of the money? I am Ok with loosing the small deposit, but dont know if I want to put up the balance till I can judge for myself if this is legit.

My suggestion to you is get out of it if you are still in the grace period. If not, you probably have lost whatever you paid for the 2000 points. When we opted out, we did it in the 5day grace period. We still had to dispute the charge on our credit card. Our credit card bank (Citi) had a list of boilerplate questions that showed me that they had delt with this many times. They even knew PVC. As I have stated my opinion other times in this thread, PVC is a total scam.

Orioles_Fan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Orlando Florida
Coral Sands Resorts and Palmera Vacation Club. Hilton Head Resort- Good, PVC - Bad and the Ugly
Two separate comments here, first the Resort with the brand new buildings, and staff attentiveness is outstanding and yes we did book our week in for Easter week (school break) with 3 bedroom villa in January of 2017 for April 2017. The Staff and maintenance extremely helpful. That is the 'good'.
Now for the Bad and Ugly. First my background is 20 plus years in Professional sales management and sales training so I pay attention to a lot of nuances through the sales process both what is said and what is not said. My wife is also well educated and can speak several languages so neither of us are babes in the woods. With in my family we have obtained/have access to numerous weeks of time shares all owned free and clear. So when we went to attend the presentation it was with a certain amount of 'if the package is good you never know' because we do like Hilton Head.

We were very clear about our ownership status up front, as well as being clear we had to see what the advantages for PVC over RCI were if were to 'buy' into the resort. As our presentations was going on, i was also 'listening' to other presentations close by to get and idea of the dollars they were asking for and what i was hearing did not make sense $5,000 for 3000 points at one table,, and another behind us was $9,000 for 8,000 points (yes i thought very low considering the first i heard) while across the way from us later i heard $14,000 for same 8,000 points. both of these presentations I kept hearing 3 weeks of vacation for the 8,000 points.
At this point I 'clicked in to our presentation, and was paying much more attention to what was being said, and not said, regarding the points and RCI. I mean 3 weeks vacation for between 9 to 14 grand at a resort as nice as Coral Sands of course I will listen.
  • He knew we were not interested in selling our time share, and that if we did anything it was to augment so he switched gears to touting the benefits of PVC. The exact same spiel as mention by others that they had taken back their weeks to make a better vacation club, limited access to Hilton head.
  • Was told that we would be 'guaranteed' a week in peak season in Hilton if we bought the appropriate amount of points, when we tried to pin him down on the amount of points that would be needed to do that. He never answered the question directly, he kept going back to stating we could also get weeks for as little as 1,000 points. He did say the minimum was 3,000 points.
  • He spent a lot of time carefully dancing around the questions about the points and exactly what one could get for their points.
  • Then he touted he website and portal, and claimed how easy it was to use and he had just booked a week for himself in Florida via RCI. This confused us because we knew 3,000 to 5,000 points would not get your a week in Florida this time a year.
  • He implied, that PVC Points had a 'ratio' with RCI, (being analytical) i tried to pin him down on what the ratio was he kept changing the subject saying it was something that PVC had arranged with RCI and the ratio changed depending the resort and time of the year.
  • At this point we were like "Great where do we go on RCI to see that?" Because saying '3 weeks' and actually getting it are two different things. He responded it was a 'special portal on RCI set up for PVC" , we asked if we could see it or log in to it just to do a comparison. First answer was we would have to be members to log in so we couldn't. The look on his face was priceless when i said Well can you log in to your account so we can see the comparison. (Which we thought was odd) His response was he would have to check with management if that was okay. I asked Why do u have to check? Its your account, you can even cover up your ID info,, don't you want to make a sale ? He went in back for about 5 minutes, during this time i notice the 3 sales people that had computers with them all went in to the back. When our salesperson came back he said' well there are no computers that he can show this to us' on. We even offered to bring in our lap top and he said that he couldn't.
  • Well I went for the 'close' at this point and said 'you have some one here ready to buy all you have to do is show us in writing what the ratio is of the point conversion is on RCI" and or give us access to the the PVC portal for us to look and you can do neither ? He shrugged and said 'it is out of my hands that is what the manager said"
  • At this point i asked again 'exactly how many points would it take to be able to be guaranteed a peak week every year in Hilton Head" because you have never given us a price. His response was 'what is the point if you will still need to confirm the ratio, or the website information', and he ended our sales presentation. (legitimately it was close to end of the sale day for them)
  • Even the 'manager' that has to log you out on the other side, made ZERO attempt to save the sale when he asked about the presentation and we said we found it hard to believe you can give us access or show us anything in the writing regarding the points, RCI. His response, 'i don't know why that is, and what would like for your gift so i can get it for you.
Bottom line is "IF A COMPANIES Sales practices can not stand the light of day,, do business with them at your own risk'

IF all the verbal claims they made during our time there were true then they would have at least some printed material to back it up, since nothing was provided, we decided not to do business with the PVC>

The bottom line it is a great resort, however i would not spend a dime on the Vacation club, I will however transfer in through RCI , (AGAIN) .

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't personally care much for HHI, but with that observation completely aside I have yet to read a single word (here on TUG or elsewhere) indicating that Palmera Vacation Club is even worth a brief conversation, let alone worth anyone's hard earned money.

Not at all surprising, really. How many people (here on TUG or elsewhere) have ever expressed satisfaction with any obscure timeshare "vacation club"?
Crickets. I hear only crickets.

Last edited:

Orioles_Fan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Orlando Florida
I don't personally care much for HHI anyhow, but that observation completely aside I have yet to read a single word (here on TUG or elsewhere) indicating that Palmera Vacation Club is even worth a conversation --- let alone anyone's hard earned money.

This is not at all surprising, really. How many people (on TUG or elsewhere) have ever actually expressed satisfaction with any timeshare "vacation club"? :ponder:
Crickets. I hear crickets.
? Not sure if you read my entire comment, i said the resort was great and would book in there again and thought it was well worth my exchange into. PVC however is a another story and that was posted to help educate others by sharing experience. As for my satisfaction, we joined Vistanna over 20 years ago, and received out standing value what we paid at the time. Two girls growing up was in Orlando 7 times in 10 years. Been to HHI, Myrtle beach, Scotsdale/phoenix , Hawaii, DR , Flagstaff and Jackson Hole. The changes in ownership and how you book and exchange etc have had its share of stories/learning curve over the years but things change and you have to learn to adjust.
Hope you have a satisfying vacation experience this year!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
? Not sure if you read my entire comment, i said the resort was great and would book in there again and thought it was well worth my exchange into. PVC however is a another story and that was posted to help educate others by sharing experience. As for my satisfaction, we joined Vistana over 20 years ago, and received out standing value what we paid at the time. Two girls growing up was in Orlando 7 times in 10 years. Been to HHI, Myrtle beach, Scottsdale/phoenix , Hawaii, DR , Flagstaff and Jackson Hole. The changes in ownership and how you book and exchange etc have had its share of stories/learning curve over the years but things change and you have to learn to adjust.
Hope you have a satisfying vacation experience this year!

Yup, I certainly read and thoroughly understood your entire post. My response made (perhaps inadequately specific) reference to obscure "vacation clubs", among which I certainly do not / would not ever include Marriott, Hyatt, Disney, Hilton, Starwood / Vistana.

By obscure "vacation clubs", I specifically intended reference to the likes of Melia, Silver Lakes, Global Exchange, Occidental, etc. --- all of which seem to "enjoy" universal (and well deserved) dissatisfaction. Palmera Vacation Club certainly seems to be an eminently eligible candidate for addition to any such list, no? :)

Last edited:

Orioles_Fan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Orlando Florida
Yup, I certainly read and thoroughly understood your entire post. My response made (perhaps inadequately specific) reference to obscure "vacation clubs", among which I certainly do not / would not ever include Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Starwood / Vistana.

By obscure "vacation clubs", I specifically intended reference to the likes of Melia, Occidental, etc.; which seem to "enjoy" universal dissatisfaction.
Palmera Vacation Club certainly seems to be an eminently eligible candidate for addition to any such list, no? :)

Agreed, sorry I initially misunderstood the intent of your response . I personally thought it was laughable that PVC could not/would not allow sales rep to show us the log in page and exchange he 'supposedly' had done, which in essence would of secured them a sale if it was all true, because the resort was very nice. When they didn't at that point it was game over and at least my wife and daughters got to go on a sunset dolphin /wild life tour for free that they absolutely loved.. So it was at least some compensation for the time wasted trying to make sense of their sales tactics.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wouldn't say Palmera owners "enjoy universal dissatisfaction" I am a resale Palmera deeded owner - as far as I can tell they weren't bought out or sold to anyone, they are the same Reba managed Coral Resorts, they just did a name change when they started to sell beneficial interests in a trust rather than deeded weeks. The dissatisfaction is the same as it has always been with this developer: high pressure, hard sell with a lot of confusing double talk -I can't say they all lie but they certainly lead you to conclusions that are not true about the way it all works. So other than that one Happy poster who I believe is probably a shill, if you buy from the developer you will be unhappy and won't end up with what you thought you were buying. That can certainly happen with less obscure clubs like Marriott or Wyndham too, buying from the developer is generally a bad idea. The difference is Palmera has a long history including a long legal history with walking the shadier side of the line when it comes to sales tactics and overselling the benefits.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting and a bit ironic that SC is apparently among very few states that require attorney involvement in timeshare transactions, yet deceitful parasites like these Coral / Palmera weasels apparently thrive in SC, happily slithering around while seeming to operate on (...at best) the outer boundaries of legality. :ponder:

Last edited: