• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2016 ] Restrictions on trading Bonnet Creek into DVC through RCI

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded Bonnet Creek points into Saratoga Springs through RCI. RCI sent me a confirmation that included this bit of info:

"There is an ownership restriction at this resort. If you made this reservation using points from an Orlando ownership or a resort withing 30 miles of Disneyworld resorts in Orlando, it will be cancelled and you will be notified about rebooking a non-Disney property."

So far I haven't received a cancellation....anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks!

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded Bonnet Creek points into Saratoga Springs through RCI. RCI sent me a confirmation that included this bit of info:

"There is an ownership restriction at this resort. If you made this reservation using points from an Orlando ownership or a resort withing 30 miles of Disneyworld resorts in Orlando, it will be cancelled and you will be notified about rebooking a non-Disney property."

So far I haven't received a cancellation....anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks!
I believe the fact that the points are being deposited from Club Wyndham, and not from a specific resort, keeps you safe. Essentially, your underlying ownership is hidden from DVC when you deposit to RCI.

But this is just a guess.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
So far, Chris is correct. When mini-system points owners exchange via RCI, the system's "points are points" and they're not associated with a particular home resort. So when WorldMark, Wyndham, HGVC owners use points or credits to do an exchange, the points deposits do not register as regionally blocked. We don't have an Orlando home resort for any of our Wyndham points contracts. But owner services reps have told us repeatedly that only fixed/floating week deposits from Wyndham are subject to RCI's (or II's, in the past) regional blocks. I don't give it a thought. :)

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the fact that the points are being deposited from Club Wyndham, and not from a specific resort, keeps you safe. Essentially, your underlying ownership is hidden from DVC when you deposit to RCI.

But this is just a guess.

So far, Chris is correct. When mini-system points owners exchange via RCI, the system's "points are points" and they're not associated with a particular home resort. So when WorldMark, Wyndham, HGVC owners use points or credits to do an exchange, the points deposits do not register as regionally blocked. We don't have an Orlando home resort for any of our Wyndham points contracts. But owner services reps have told us repeatedly that only fixed/floating week deposits from Wyndham are subject to RCI's (or II's, in the past) regional blocks. I don't give it a thought. :)

Okay, thanks so much...I feel much better about it now. I was worried it would get cancelled and I would have to tell my daughter we couldn't go.

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village @ Parkway
So happy I found this and hope it's true. I too, just got an exchange that I was waiting long time for in Disney. Then I read same thing in my confirmation ans my home resort is in Orlando. When I got my Disney welcome email to sign up for everything, I was somewhat relieved, but still worried. I see these posts were from a while ago, any updates ?

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes- just this week. Still no cancellation & got email from Disney to get all my stuff. How do yours work out?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at DVC when I only owned WBC. Points are in a subsystem so you aren't blocked out. I have a points account in Vegas and I don't even see other Vegas properties. And I have a temporary TPU account from a refund of an Orlando stay and I don't see Orlando properties with that one.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
1. Restrictions seems to be a common element of all timeshares.

2. Years and years ago, last century as a matter of fact, I appealed to II about their restriction that did not allow those who owned in Orlando from trading into other Orlando resort (Yeah, I understand the reason). They actually changed their policy to allow it if you also owned in another area, which we did. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets greased.

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[Duplicate post deleted. From our posting rules:

Avoid posting duplicate messages

Choose the most appropriate forum for your message and place it there and only there. Posting the same message in multiple forums spreads the replies around to different parts of the board and makes them much harder to locate later. If your message does not fit with the stated theme of any of the other forums, please place it in the TUG Lounge forum. This is a special place for "Idle Chit Chat", notices of member meetings, etc. Duplicate posts will be removed when found.​

Plus, neither resort mentioned is a Wyndham property.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own Worldmark, Wyndham decides what resort and week actually gets deposited, you can only choose the season and number of bedrooms. I would expect that if Wyndham deposits an Orlando resort week, then the Disney exchange would be denied. However, one of the Worldmark resorts only has 3 bedrooms and the other is in high demand usually, so the actual chances of this happening is low. You are also told the actual week that is deposited by Wyndham on your behalf.

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did get the exchange. It's been one month ago now & no cancellation notice. As I said, I received confirmation from Disney & already purchase through my Disney welcome package, my wristbands & parks tickets. So, thats why I'm questioning it? Would they still cancel?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own Worldmark, Wyndham decides what resort and week actually gets deposited, you can only choose the season and number of bedrooms. I would expect that if Wyndham deposits an Orlando resort week, then the Disney exchange would be denied. However, one of the Worldmark resorts only has 3 bedrooms and the other is in high demand usually, so the actual chances of this happening is low. You are also told the actual week that is deposited by Wyndham on your behalf.

That's not how worldmark works with RCI. You deposit credits (and can do weird amounts if you have them expiring). All RCI sees is your credits. Every once in awhile, Worldmark "settles up" with RCI by giving them a bulk deposit of units.

There isn't a specific unit that they gave rci for your deposit, and the regional block never applies.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not how worldmark works with RCI. You deposit credits (and can do weird amounts if you have them expiring). All RCI sees is your credits. Every once in awhile, Worldmark "settles up" with RCI by giving them a bulk deposit of units.

There isn't a specific unit that they gave rci for your deposit, and the regional block never applies.

I stand corrected. My explanation is how Wyndham deposits WM credits into II and I just assumed similar. Thank you for the clarification.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
...I did an ongoing search & got to exchange for DVC Saratoga Springs. I received my confirmation, and I'm in heaven.
Then I read something way down at the bottom of the confirmation, that there is a regional restriction to an exchange if you own an Orlando resort or a resort within 30 miles of Disneyworld.
Now, I already got my welcome email from Disney, already ordered my wristbands & park passes. No mention from anyone about this being cancelled.
Should I worry?
You should be very worried. That exchange may indeed be cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm really confused, can you clarify this for me. What you explain definitely makes sense to me and the confirmation is one month ago & no issues, but others are saying different. PLEASE help me understand or tell me who I should or should not contact. Thank you so much.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused, can you clarify this for me. What you explain definitely makes sense to me and the confirmation is one month ago & no issues, but others are saying different. PLEASE help me understand or tell me who I should or should not contact. Thank you so much.

I wouldn't contact anyone. I'm pretty aure the regional block is enforced at booking, not months later. Calling DVC/RCI and asking whether your stay might be cancelled because of a regional block is a terrible idea, because you might get someone who doesn't understand how it works who decides to cancel it.

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thats what I think too. I can't imagine they would cancel it months later after all plans were made.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am sure I saw people unhappy about their trips being cancelled due to regional blocks of DVC.

If an exchange slips through the cracks, you should count yourself lucky. If it gets cancelled after the fact, then you need to accept it. The warning is clear.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure I saw people unhappy about their trips being cancelled due to regional blocks of DVC.

If an exchange slips through the cracks, you should count yourself lucky. If it gets cancelled after the fact, then you need to accept it. The warning is clear.

Have you ever seen one cancelled on a worldmark owner? Worldmark points don't have a home resort, so they aren't really an Orlando resort. I think it is very likely the worldmark owner will be fine.

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
If it gets cancelled, who will cancel it RCI or Disney?
Either may cancel it since it's part of their contract with one another.

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Have you ever seen one cancelled on a worldmark owner? Worldmark points don't have a home resort, so they aren't really an Orlando resort. I think it is very likely the worldmark owner will be fine.
Independent points systems like Worldmark are not currently subject to these restrictions as long as the points system has some resorts in other locations. RCI does not "see" a specific resort associated with the member's deposit. The points system (Worldmark, Wyndham, Hilton, etc.) makes bulk deposits of units to RCI, equivalent in value to the total points "deposited" by their members within a given period. Also, members may deposit smaller amounts of points at various times and use these points for a single exchange. No association with a home resort location. Hope that makes sense.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
FWIW, in 1999 I/we exchanged into a resort that we traded into Week 30 several of the preceding years. I recall doing it by phone, because the Guide said, "Oh, they have a 1-in-4 rule. Let me check on that; if I can get it for you, it will be OK."

She did.

Then I/we got cancelled. The resort was financially troubled, and had hired a marketing team to get some new cash flowing in, and they had enacted the 1-in-4.

Me and RCI went round and round, they eventually saying they have a legal department for people like me. We went round and round because there was always plenty of empty units that week, and because of what the Guide had said.

We actually had an RCI friend in the area book that exchange, and check in, so we were their guests.

By happenstance, via the Internet years later, an RCI person who had been sitting next to the RCI person who made that decision and I became acquaintances, and we still are today. That unfortunate situation led to our happy timesharing 20 years later and where we live in Florida.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

:cool:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
2. Years and years ago, last century as a matter of fact, I appealed to II about their restriction that did not allow those who owned in Orlando from trading into other Orlando resort (Yeah, I understand the reason). They actually changed their policy to allow it if you also owned in another area, which we did. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets greased.

Now that I think about it, that started out because we were not able to get whatever they called "Extra Vacations." I argued that what is essentially rentals should be available to all members regardless where they owned. But, that led to the easing of their Area Restriction like I said.