• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I finally received my movie pass card. I hit two movies this week. If you haven't heard about movie pass go to movie pass.com. Basically for $10 a month you can go to one movie per day at your local theaters. Most all the theater chains participate in this. I haven't found one in my area that doesn't. This has to be the best deal out there if you like to go to the movies. I went twice in my first week. Retail price would have been $14.50 per show. Each person must have their own movie pass card. My wife got one also. You can't use it for special events or 3D or Imax showings.

Here is how it works: first you must sign up and receive your movie pass card in the mail. Then you download the movie pass app and log into your account. You go to the movies open the app, pick your movie. Then you have 30 minutes to walk up to the box-office and purchase your ticket. The clerk at the box-office just runs it like any other credit card. In fact the movie pass is a master card, only the bill goes to movie pass. At the theater they really don't pay attention to your card and just handle it like any other credit card. Also the great thing is you still get rewards credit from your theater chain at the full price of the ticket. I am going to be getting lots of free cokes and popcorn.

Yes it really works. If you go to the movies at least once a month its a great deal for you.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. We have no movie theater in town, so it would be a special effort for me. Plus, there are not that many movies I want to see. I don't do horror or thriller. Just can't stand suspense. And I don't like sappy either.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Thank you Chris for the information. It is amazing the opportunities out there that we are unaware of, look forward to using MoviePass.com...and the dollars that will be saved. Information is much appreciated!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
this sounds like a good deal, thanks

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
OMG, does it really cost $14.50 for a movie ticket these days? Last movie we went to was in 1999 when we had to vacate the house so the realtor could have a Sunday open house (6 Days/7Nights Harrison Ford and Ann Heche).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I go once or twice a month using the AT&T customer two-fer Tuesday discount. The matinee before noon is half price so both of us go for $6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I usually buy tickets from Costco, most often as two for around $15. At $7.50 a seat, it's not so bad. But $10 a month seems like a great deal! Thanks for the tip!

Dave

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just signed up for this last week. I read that they are going through growing pains and it seems like their model may not be sustainable. It is good to hear from someone who has actually used it. I hear it may take 3-4 weeks to get my card. I do go to quite a few movies. My local movie theater has $5 movies all day on Friday and $5 movies for ages 60+ on Fridays before 5:30pm. And then there is the second run theater that is $4 for seniors after 6pm and $3 before 6pm. I haven't paid over $7.50 for a movie in years. There are still plenty of movies I want to see and I do prefer watching them on the big screen.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They must be hoping that long term it is like many subscription services, the people who pay but don't use it make up for the people that over use it.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
They must be hoping that long term it is like many subscription services, the people who pay but don't use it make up for the people that over use it.

The theaters are having their worst year since 2009. They needed something to get people back into the theater. I think they hope to make lots of money selling popcorn and soda. Also, they think the majority of people will only use it once a month after the first few months and they will not take much of a loss in the price of a ticket.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sounds good, now if there were enough movies I would like to see. Right now I enjoy Netflix

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
If your interested in their business model look up ticker symbol "HMNY" and read their press releases and analyst reports. In early August they had under 20,000 subscribers. Today they have over 400,000, all within a little over 30 days. In August they dropped their price to $10 when they were acquired by HMNY (51%ownership). Their plan was to hit 150,000 by year end. They are planning on taking the Movie portion of their business public in 2018. Also one of the founders from Netflix is behind this.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered on Sep 5th and later received an email that it would take 2-3 weeks before my card arrived. It has been two weeks and two days and counting. I hope it arrives soon. There are lots of movies I want to see.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of signing up. Then I realize the only movie I have seen in last six months is captain underpants.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have discussed this with a friend who had it. His account was cancelled (or he could pay a way higher monthly fee) because he was watching too many movies and they were losing money on him. YMMV, but I thought that was worth mentioning.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I have discussed this with a friend who had it. His account was cancelled (or he could pay a way higher monthly fee) because he was watching too many movies and they were losing money on him. YMMV, but I thought that was worth mentioning.

Never heard of this or read anything about this. I suppose its possible from old company. At one time they were charging $50 per month under old business model. YMMV has been different. Been 3 times since first posted.

Also hopefully someone jumped on my stock tip of HMNY. You could have doubled your money from day I posted ticker symbol above on 9/21 to 9/29 (5.86 to 13). I bought in at $3.20 on 9/15 day of my first post.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this or read anything about this. I suppose its possible from old company. At one time they were charging $50 per month under old business model. YMMV has been different. Been 3 times since first posted.

Also hopefully someone jumped on my stock tip of HMNY. You could have doubled your money from day I posted ticker symbol above on 9/21 to 9/29 (5.86 to 13). I bought in at $3.20 on 9/15 day of my first post.

I'm not saying it's a scam, just relating what a friend told me. He is a big movie fan, and was probably going to 8-10 per month on their old $50 plan before they booted him. Not saying they will do that this time around, but I think it's the same people.

Congratulations on your gains.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under FAQ in the ap it talks about canceled accounts or too many movies can stop the pass from working. But it is not specific or does not provide any info on that. It just says it can happen. I ordered my card four weeks ago and still didn’t get it. I emailed them twice to see if it was mailed yet and no response. Major growing pains are taking place with this company. But I look forward to getting it and hope it happens soon.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Under FAQ in the ap it talks about canceled accounts or too many movies can stop the pass from working. But it is not specific or does not provide any info on that. It just says it can happen. I ordered my card four weeks ago and still didn’t get it. I emailed them twice to see if it was mailed yet and no response. Major growing pains are taking place with this company. But I look forward to getting it and hope it happens soon.

I am sure they are going through major growing pains. It took about three weeks for my card to arrive. When I applied within a couple of days I received an email saying they were backed up with orders and it was going to take a couple of weeks vs 5 days as mentioned on the website. I ordered mine around the 20th of August or close to it and received it around the 15th of September. So far I have used it 4 times in September and love it.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you pay from the date you order it or from the day you receive the card. How easy is it to cancel?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you pay from the date you order it or from the day you receive the card. How easy is it to cancel?

You pay from the day you receive the card by mail. Their customer service is by email only, and it takes days to get a response back, and the responses I got were all canned template messages. I'd imagine over the next several months, it will probably be hard to get much customer assistance. Here is the procedure to cancel:
https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124451-How-do-I-cancel-my-account-

The good news is that once you get your card, it is such a great deal that you probably wouldn't think about cancelling. But, you know what they say about something being too good to be true... :)

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing, but it says you must have an Iphone or an android phone. I do have one, but I have a simple flip phone for my husband, and he doesn't really use it. Anyway you can have tw cards on one phone?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing, but it says you must have an Iphone or an android phone. I do have one, but I have a simple flip phone for my husband, and he doesn't really use it. Anyway you can have tw cards on one phone?

If you only have one smart phone, I think you would need to buy one ticket and sign out of the account and then sign back in under a different name. I don’t know if that would work, but it should.