• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have days where not a single movie is playing in the 3 theaters that are closest to me. One theater is a 24 screen, one 14 and one 10. And not a single movie, unbelievable.

my annual is up in January. No renewal for me.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point with MP, the best results can only be achieved where they have electronic ticketing so you can see any movie at any time, at least I think. I do not live in such an area. It seems they are all struggling a bit now! I hate that as I like the idea.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At this point with MP, the best results can only be achieved where they have electronic ticketing so you can see any movie at any time, at least I think.

They used to have 3 theater with eticketing in the entire Houston area, however they removed the 2 Studio Movie grills, so now only the art house River Oaks theater is left.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
They used to have 3 theater with eticketing in the entire Houston area, however they removed the 2 Studio Movie grills, so now only the art house River Oaks theater is left.

Yeah, last time I was out of town there were zero where I was. So, with Sinemia adding more and more fees, AMC so far is only increasing prices but we have none, not many options left for such a plan. I'd greatly prefer a plan where we can go to any theater, not just one chain as any given chain does not exist in all areas.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now it looks lie Sinemia is going to have physical cards again, to avoid any online ticketing fees. That were free anyway when using Facebook to purchase them, but still, less hassle.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
MoviePass Is Still Alive, Announces New 2019 Plans and Location-Based Pricing
By Zack Sharf/ IndieWire/ indiewire.com

"Just when you thought MoviePass was down and out for the count, here comes CEO Mitch Lowe with brand new changes for the service. MoviePass is remodeling once again for the new year and has announced a three-tier pricing system for 2019. The new model will cost users anywhere from $9.95 to $24.95 a month to see a total of 36 movies a year. Subscribers can see three films per month.

The biggest change to MoviePass is a location-based pricing system that will make the service more expensive for moviegoers in high demand cities such as New York and Los Angeles. While MoviePass is offering three different plans, each one will be set at a price depending on where you live. The most basic plan, for instance, will still cost more in New York and Los Angeles then in smaller cities.

The “select plan” is designed as MoviePass’ entry level offering. The plan costs anywhere from $9.95 to $14.95 depending on the location zone and offers a subscriber three 2D movies a month. Additionally, films on the “select plan” are not available on MoviePass during their opening weekends. The “all access plan” is priced between $14.95 and $19.95 per month and includes three 2D each month at any point during their run, including opening weekend....."

moviepass1.jpg

MoviePass

MoviePass

Richard

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $14.95 actually isn't a bad deal. I believe it said new subscribers only though. Assuming they don't change the plan of course!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The $14.95 actually isn't a bad deal. I believe it said new subscribers only though. Assuming they don't change the plan of course!

Provided they don't cut and run and discontinue services mid year like they did last year. I have an annual pass that expires in January, and I haven't even been able to find a movie available in the last few months.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
What makes the $14.95 all access deal good is any theater any 2d movie. Sitting here in Hilton Head for example, there is no AMC. As there aren't in many places we go. Plans that allow any theater are important to us. Sometimes while traveling, especially off season, it's a miserable day and a movie can make sense.

Fiji Sandy? We will likely be there in May this coming year, been there before?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiji Sandy? We will likely be there in May this coming year, been there before?

I have not yet been to Fiji. I have Fiji and then Tonga back to back booked for 2020. I do know the base manager of the Tradewinds in Fiji. I have sailed with them twice.

I assume you picked up one of the Fiji deposits via RCI? Or is it something else?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume you picked up one of the Fiji deposits via RCI? Or is it something else?

No, probably going to Marriott Momi Bay on a free stay certificate. From there heading to thailand for a few weeks. Fiji was to break up the long flight a little on the way to Phuket.

Tonga sounds wonderful!! Would love to go there.

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
Provided they don't cut and run and discontinue services mid year like they did last year. I have an annual pass that expires in January, and I haven't even been able to find a movie available in the last few months.
I try to go to the movies with someone with an annual pass that expires February 2019. I have a monthly subscription. I don't see very many movies available these days and theaters are EMPTY at the times I go. The annual pass holder sees NONE when I see one or two movies. They are "throttling" the annual pass holder! They won't admit to it or fix it. When you call about it they say that's not possible, the CSRs all talk from scripts that don't even answer the question, and then they just hang up on the annual pass holder.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Movie Pass Did So Many Stupid Things in 2018 That Nearly 60% of Users Cancelled
By Andy Meek/ Business/ BGR/ bgr.com

"2018 was a hellscape for MoviePass’ business. The movie ticketing service bled a ton of subscribers, rolled out a confusing array of tweaks to its terms, and implemented emergency financial moves behind the scenes to compensate for the turmoil. The service also had to deal with an onslaught of news coverage that put the company on constant death watch, and New York’s Attorney General even opened a fraud investigation into the service’s parent company, for good measure.

So it should probably come as no surprise to learn that almost 60 percent of MoviePass’ users cancelled their subscriptions in 2018.

That’s according to new analysis from the finance app Trim, which took a look at 400 million transactions from users in 2018. Its data shows, among other things, that most of the cancellations came in the summer. Specifically, in June and July, when the crush of bad news hitting MoviePass seemed to be at its peak. That was around the time when we learned that AMC was launching its own rival subscription plan, MoviePass apparently ran out of money temporarily, and it also stopped letting users buy tickets to the biggest studio blockbusters via the app.

The app started, you’ll recall, as a kind of Netflix for moviegoers. Pay a flat fee, and you get to see a certain number of movies in a theater...."

moviepass-app-iphone.jpg

Richard

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was one of the 60%. Actually I’m surprised the number is not higher. It simply became unusable towards the end. Last time I had it was with a friend to see an e-ticket movie. She was able to check in but it was unavailable for me, and we were at the same place and same time! I canceled the next day. Saw 63 movies in 14 months. It was good while it lasted.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the blame has to go to the reporting. All of the news posted around the internet and here was so negative, they are doomed, going out of business this month, etc. Virtually all the articles and predictions in this thread have turned out to be false. Especially the earlier ones. Those were entirely exaggerated, lies, possibly in some cases written by AMC marketing. Many many mis-statements in those articles.

Yes, MP did become virtually unusable at one point, but it was long after the initial dire predictions and thousands and thousands of what I call "opinion" pieces. Write 10,000 negative articles, it has an effect. But it certainly was true it became unusable, at last. Kind of hard to imagine a different outcome given how media was talking about them. Quoting this user or that user, gee, how scientific those opinions were. And now they are back, without those limitations. Which should be impossible based on all those articles right?

Sinemia seems to be a better value though now that they have carded again and have ditched the processing and transaction fees.

My point is more that without all of the misleading articles (especially early one) that said things that were simply not true, MP would be in a better position today. I really hate it when the media goes into a frenzy against something. They get so ridiculous. The media hurt MP as much as MP hurt themselves. And don't get me wrong, MP did do stupid things.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe for some, but I cancelled specifically because of the restrictions to specific movies on a given day. It became nearly unusable unless you had an e-ticketed theater near you. I did, but it wasn't my preferred theater and it just wasn't worth the hassle. I'm back to seeing a handful of movies a year. I might sign up with Sinemia now that college football season is over, but honestly I don't much miss going to the theater.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the end, I cancelled too. I have gone with Sinemia. They pulled some fishy things, and also have a lawsuit against them. But they've backed off too, and, are now working as MP used to with the card, no restrictions, etc. At least for now.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I will be signing up movie membership anytime soon. Out of 63 movies I saw, probably only a third were actually worth watching. We will just see movies on Tuesdays that costs $6 each.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I will be signing up movie membership anytime soon. Out of 63 movies I saw, probably only a third were actually worth watching. We will just see movies on Tuesdays that costs $6 each.

This can definitely be the case! And $6 Tuesdays is a good and viable alternative. IF you can avoid the popcorn and drink. For us, that's $10 on cheapo Tuesdays now. It's $5 on Mondays, however, tickets are full price, but we don't care since we have a membership that pays it. So, we go on Mondays since overall, it's now way cheaper that paying. Going on cheapo Tuesday once a month paying out of our own pocket pays for our 3 movie membership and 1.5 popcorn and drinks.

We are viewing it more like timeshares. Just like people say timeshares "force them" to take vacations, and love them... i.e., we have to go to 3 movies a month now. Whether we think there are good movies or not. Sometimes, as you have noted, the movies were not so great but we still enjoyed our time out. Other times, we see a movie that we never saw any trailer for, no news about, and are hugely surprised by how good it was. There have been a fair number of these.

People look at it many different ways.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Since signing up for AMC A-List, we have seen three movies every week except for three weeks. Two of them we didn't see any, we were on vacation. The other one was this week. We were flying out to Cancun this morning and last night we had tickets for three movies but we missed the first one. If you have the opportunity to see The Upside, I highly recommend it, perhaps one of our favorite movies that we have seen this year.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since signing up for AMC A-List, we have seen three movies every week except for three weeks. Two of them we didn't see any, we were on vacation. The other one was this week. We were flying out to Cancun this morning and last night we had tickets for three movies but we missed the first one. If you have the opportunity to see The Upside, I highly recommend it, perhaps one of our favorite movies that we have seen this year.

Hopefully you mean last 12 months! :p

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are viewing it more like timeshares. Just like people say timeshares "force them" to take vacations, and love them... i.e., we have to go to 3 movies a month now. Whether we think there are good movies or not. Sometimes, as you have noted, the movies were not so great but we still enjoyed our time out. Other times, we see a movie that we never saw any trailer for, no news about, and are hugely surprised by how good it was. There have been a fair number of these.
This is a great way of looking at it, Steve.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had moviepass and cancelled. It was great for a few months, and as Steve pointed out, the membership got me to go out to movies more often. I just joined Sinemia, and absolutely love that service. It's been on special - a family membership for 2 is only 17.99 a month. We paid an extra $30 to get the physical card, and don't get charged any additional fees. Three times a month, we can go to any theater any time - just not 3D movies, which is fine by me. I love being able to get tickets at theaters that have reserved seats! With Moviepass, I couldn't go to all the theaters. Being able to pick any theater has been a big plus. And having the membership is definitely getting me to go out to movies more!!