• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I actually do not mind about the most recent change. Currently I am the 15% who saw a lot more than 3 three movies a month just because I could, but I don't mind reducing to 3 a month. Quite a few of movies are just not that great, so this change would potentially save me time :)

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest e-mail:

I actually do not mind about the most recent change. Currently I am the 15% who saw a lot more than 3 three movies a month just because I could, but I don't mind reducing to 3 a month. Quite a few of movies are just not that great, so this change would potentially save me time

I'm with Lisa. That's not a terrible deal. $10 is a good price point for me, and while I'm a bit over 3/month, I would not mind paying $15 in a month where I saw one/week. It is unlikely I will see more than that without trying to stretch things. The elimination of surge pricing and the continued lack of any blocked titles at e-ticketed theaters keeps the right flexibility for me.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I find this really amusing. Some think this isn't "a terrible deal"... $10 for three movies per month is, let's see, $3.33 per movie. I'd call that an exceedingly great deal. Assuming they stay in business but if you're only paying monthly then the most you risk is $10 or less, depending on how many movies you've already seen that month.

We are really becoming too critical... If I wanted to see even one movie each month I'd buy this since $10 is substantially less expensive than the everyday price near me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The original marketing promise was "one movie per day" at the same price point. So, yeah, compared to that it's not terrible, but it's not great.

The original marketing promise, as stated by many when it was announced, was completely and accurately described as unsustainable. If you really are comparing a great deal today by any other standard to that price, then I would suggest you are being unreasonable. Once again, how could $3.33 per movie be called anything other than a great deal? Just wow.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The original marketing promise, as stated by many when it was announced, was completely and accurately described as unsustainable. If you really are comparing a great deal today by any other standard to that price, then I would suggest you are being unreasonable. Once again, how could $3.33 per movie be called anything other than a great deal? Just wow.

Exactly what I have been trying to say in this thread. We keep seeing massively biased negative posts about how every user is mad, and it's ridiculous. I agree with you, even one movie a month is a bargain today. Let alone 3. I believe their terms always said that they could change, and, it really shouldn't have been a surprise that they did. The emails from Moviepass have always said, repeatedly, they are experimenting with different methods to make things work, so, again, not surprising. If someone thinks it's not a good deal, cancel!

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Regardless of Movie Pass' future, I hope Hollywood and the movie chains are paying attention to the fact their product is grossly overpriced.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really are comparing a great deal today by any other standard to that price, then I would suggest you are being unreasonable. Once again, how could $3.33 per movie be called anything other than a great deal? Just wow.
But that's not the value proposition for me. I wan't going to moves at all before I signed up. So, it's not like I'm suddenly saving all of this money. And, $10/month for up to 3 films is...okay. If it were $15/3, I would not buy it, because I would not spend $5/film. The value is not there for me.

But, you don't have to agree with me, or even think that my "meh, it's okay" attitude is reasonable, because your opinion about me is immaterial.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
MoviePass Users Will Have to Choose Between 'Terrible Movie and Terrible Showtime' Each Day, 'NYP' Reports
By Josh Lami/ Movies/ Inquisitr/ inquisitr.com

"Things have gone from bad to worse with MoviePass.

MoviePass users wishing to use the service this weekend for anything other than the low-rated Slender Man or the weeks-old movies Mission: Impossible – Fallout and Christopher Robin, may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

According to a recent report by the New York Post, MoviePass is not only limiting users to three movies per month, it’s now limiting users to choosing between only two movies per day. Today users could choose between Slender Man or Mission: Impossible – Fallout.

Another caveat is that users can either see Slenderman, currently rated at a 16 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, at a popular showtime, or they can see Mission: Impossible – Fallout at an unpopular time.

This is a significant downgrade from when MoviePass originally launched its movie-a-day service for the price of $9.95 per month.

CEO Mitch Lowe spoke to reporters from the NYP and confirmed the policy, but did mention the titles may change from day to day...."

Richard

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But that's not the value proposition for me. I wan't going to moves at all before I signed up. So, it's not like I'm suddenly saving all of this money. And, $10/month for up to 3 films is...okay. If it were $15/3, I would not buy it, because I would not spend $5/film. The value is not there for me.

Fair enough. However, any objective perspective would disagree.

But, you don't have to agree with me, or even think that my "meh, it's okay" attitude is reasonable, because your opinion about me is immaterial.

Seems like I hit a nerve. Sorry. Don’t take things too personally here...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Things have gone from bad to worse with MoviePass.

MoviePass users wishing to use the service this weekend for anything other than the low-rated Slender Man or the weeks-old movies Mission: Impossible – Fallout and Christopher Robin, may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

According to a recent report by the New York Post, MoviePass is not only limiting users to three movies per month, it’s now limiting users to choosing between only two movies per day. Today users could choose between Slender Man or Mission: Impossible – Fallout.

False again. Saw all movies today in the app, went to see Christopher Robin. The Meg was there, Death of a Nation, Dog Days, etc. I don't know where you are getting this garbage news, but, it's fabricated.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think people on TUG maximize their usage of timeshares, power MoviePass users do exponentially more

This and other outrageous stories about MoviePass usage: “I’d check into a movie I had no intention of seeing just so I could use the bathroom,” says a heavy MoviePass user.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/moviepass-scammers-poop-popcorn-vengence

Terrible! Well, he can only do that 3 times a month now. If he wants to pay $9.95 to use the bathroom 3 times, go for it!

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did have the experience reported in "Things have gone from bad to worse." Tried to use MP for our usual theater on Friday night and were limited to two movies, one of which we had already seen. Today (Saturday) movie selection seems to be back to normal (whatever that might be).

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did have the experience reported in "Things have gone from bad to worse." Tried to use MP for our usual theater on Friday night and were limited to two movies, one of which we had already seen. Today (Saturday) movie selection seems to be back to normal (whatever that might be).

I don't doubt it, my beef is with the dishonest articles meant to only show negatives and never state the whole truth. For example, all the eticket movies have been available, no mention of that. Moviepass indicates in their communications and help that during the transition period to the new program things will be more limited and asked for patience. No mention of that. Etc. Only negatives, partial truths. These people have an agenda and it's to kill Moviepass because they hate it. You can guess who is behind that. There are plenty of other articles out there that are not so blatantly biased and without agendas.

I disagree with the statement myself completely that "things have gone from bad to worse". For me, things have gone from great to not quite as great. It's funny as soon they will run out of such statements. What will they say next, things have gone from worse to more worse? More more more worse?

Note there is an education related group wanting to fund Moviepass too, no mention of that. etc. etc. etc.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is simpler than that: News exists to get people to read it, so that more people see the associated advertising. People like reading negative news more than they like balanced/positive news. You can see this pattern over and over, not just with MP reporting.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with that as well. In this case though, it sounds exactly like what someone at AMC would write. That's the source, IMHO, of these articles. Problem is, many believe these things. They should know better!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only been offered Slender Man for the past five days. I do not want to see Slender Man under any circumstances. I have not seen Mission Impossible, Eighth Grade, Teen Titans GO!, and many other movies. It's infuriating. I paid for a year upfront and now I'm getting zero service.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We are only being offered Slender Man, and The Meg, at all movie theaters within 30 miles. Which makes no sense, because they are both new releases, and movies that have been out for weeks, are not available.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right this second (Monday at 4:45PM), the non-e-ticketed multiplex in town has zero available showings for any movie. Same for the two smaller art-house/college campus theaters. The e-ticketed theater has all showings of all films available (there are no 3D/IMAX screens at this theater).

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are only being offered Slender Man, and The Meg, at all movie theaters within 30 miles. Which makes no sense, because they are both new releases, and movies that have been out for weeks, are not available.

Read the email from Moviepass and the help in the app. It's temporary.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe. The email only promised to remove the requirement to take pictures of ticket stubs and surge pricing. They did not say all showings would be available. In fact, they said (emphasis added):

The new plan will include many major studio first-run films, however there will be some exceptions
I think it will get better, and maybe a lot better, but if you don't have an e-ticketed theater near you, it's still an open question. I do have one, so am not too bothered either way.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It has been ridiculous the last few days. No movies were available near where I live, but 40 miles away in Santa Cruz, there are a few showings available. No way I will drive 1 hour to save $10. I will cancel if it continues this way after tomorrow.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The help section says the current restrictions are just until the new plan completely rolls out. Obviously only time will tell.