• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2018 Federal Income Tax Highlights

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Form 1040 has been redesigned for 2018
Form 1040A and 1040EZ will no longer be used.

Tax reform was passed by Congress - some of the changes include:

• Change in tax rates. Most rates have been reduced.

• Rhe standard deduction amount has been increased for all filers.

The amounts for 2018 are:
• Single or Married filing separately $12,000.
• Married filing jointly or Qualifying widow(er) $24,000.
• Head of household $18,000.

• Personal exemption suspended.

You can’t claim a personal exemption deduction for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents.

• Increased child tax credit. The child tax credit amount has been increased.

• New credit for other dependents. A new credit of up to $500 may be available for each dependent who doesn’t qualify for the child tax credit.

• Changes to itemized deductions. These changes include limiting the deduction for state and local taxes and eliminating both the deduction for miscellaneous expenses and the overall limit on itemized deductions.

For details on these and other changes, preview

What’s New

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

This is an early release draft (119 page pdf)
IRS tax forms, instructions, and publications

Note: Do not file draft forms

*Due date of Federal Return
File Form 1040 by April 15, 2019.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
Yes -- Filing for 2018 taxes will be a learning experience for all!

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been surprised by how many people I know do not realize that the personal exemption is gone. I think there are going to be some surprises for a lot of people. Hopefully the withholdings have been good so it won't be a problem.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly I am ignoring the whole thing (maybe to my detriment, who knows?). My plan is to log on to Turbo Tax next time I file as I have done for the last 20 years or so and let Turbo Tax figure it all out for me. If after reviewing my Return and comparing it to prior years Returns, I see something I need to change, I will look at making the change going forward. Simplistic? Yes, but stress free...

George

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes -- Filing for 2018 taxes will be a learning experience for all!
For me, it will make my return much simpler since I will not have to itemize deductions. But that will only be for ever other year, as we are planning on bunching our charitable contributions to every other year, so that it will pay for us to itemize in those years. We will also push property tax payments in those same years, but it is unclear if that will help due to the SALT limitations.

Kurt

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I’m a bit worried. I live in California and think my taxes will be going up. No real way to know until doing our taxes.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see the increase in my take home pay................ so far haven't noticed it:shrug:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 9236[/QUOTE
Smoke and mirrors. You can google the 'who gains' 'who loses' and see the general effect of the new law...

Here is an EXCELLENT chart that shows "old" "new" "effects" on a side by side chart. Very easy to read: https://www.fbco.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/tax-reform-individual-changes-chart.pdf

Here's the bottom line for those without excessive SALT deductions that can't be avoided:

View attachment 9236

The chart does not take into account individual scenarios. My itemized deductions were 23000 last year. With the gain in standard and loss of personal exemption my taxable income has gone up 7000. I am in the lowest bracket so my rate does not change. So unless there is some advantage I am not aware of my taxes have gone up 700.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like being in the dark until Turbo Tax shows me what happened when I file. Less stress..

George

I worry a bit about penalties as I do not like to have the government hold my money interest free. That is easily taken care of as long as you have as much with held this year as you owed last year. I also like to manage a bit more. I see a potential tax problem (good to have) when I have to start taking out of my retirement accounts and the long term capital gains I am sitting on.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t like being in the dark. One year my mutual funds paid out huge amounts in December and a stock got called on dec 31. I owed forty thousand additional income tax that year. Not only did I have to pay that in April but I had to send in the same amount for the following year. I like knowing what to expect. It was real nice to get the capital gains, but they didn’t last long when the tax bill came.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the penalties are calculated for being under withheld. All I do know is that my income moves around a lot from year to year and that I owe the IRS money every year when I file. I have only been assessed a penalty one time in over 20 years, and it was small...

George

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
When I first read this thread title, I was thinking here was another candidate in the long list of oxymorons......

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
The IRS announced Monday, that despite the
government shutdown, it will process tax returns
starting Jan. 28 and issue tax refunds as planned,
a move ordered by the White House earlier today.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Mine is relatively simple (except for determining taxable SS).
But I was able to design a spreadsheet and run the numbers.
It seems I'll owe some, so I won't be in any hurry to get it done.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get Transcript
@ IRS.GOV

You can get various Form 1040-series transcript types online or by mail. If you need your prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) to e-file, choose the tax return transcript type when making your request.

There is a new transcript format that better protects your data. This new format partially masks your personally identifiable information. Financial data will remain fully visible to allow for tax preparation, tax representation or income verification.

About the New Tax Transcript and the Customer File Number.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted on another thread that I have a spreadsheet that maps out our income and expenses for the next 20 years. On my spreadsheet we will owe $5,892 in 2018 taxes, and we should not have a penalty because we paid 0 taxes last year. Let's see if my number comes within $100 of my estimate when we put them into Turbo Tax. We are still awaiting the official tax statements from the brokerage firm, and we are ready to put in the numbers. From my calculation, despite having high medical costs, taking standard deduction is advantageous to itemized deduction.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
File and got my federal return with a week. The standard deduction of 24000 came within 800 of what we would have gotten itemized. This was the plan I'm sure, to have a lot more people just go with the standard so filing will go quicker.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Filed Jan 31st and got my direct deposit yesterday. Standard deduction, got a little extra for being 65 or over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Our taxes are down about 14%. The standard deduction takes away all the things we used to itemize. I'm actually concerned about the charitable contributions since they don't help reduce our taxes anymore.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trust me, everyone in the nonprofit sector is worried about that as well....

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmmm.

My comment about taxes and charity is hereby self-redacted.
lipssealed_80_anim_gif.gif

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
~ The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act ~

How Will the Recent IRS Tax Law
Changes Affect You ? (Highlights)

The standard deduction has doubled.

The rates for the seven income tax brackets
for individual taxpayers have changed.

Taxpayers can now get up to $2,000 per child under age 17,
and under the new tax law more taxpayers can claim it.

Taxpayers won’t be penalized for not buying
health insurance in 2019 but what about 2018?

The new tax law caps - State and Local Tax
deductions, also known as SALT, at $10,000.

Source: Key Tax Law Changes Online @

https://www.taxslayer.com/tax-reform