• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Use Airline Credit Cards

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I agree wholeheartedly with the article. Airline credit cards do not tempt me. I have the Southwest cards and don't even use those, and it doesn't take much spend to get an award seat with those. I don't cancel the SW cards because they give me free miles every year for the annual fee.

I feel the same way about hotel credit cards, but they do give that one hotel night each year, which I use.

Our daughter just loves the British Airways cards, she and her husband each have them, and they go to Europe EOY using the travel companion pass they get for $30K spend each year (or whatever it is). I could put $30K spend to great use with my other cards. I have yet to book Europe for us, but when I do, I will watch for a great airfare deal with my Chase Sapphire Reserve points. Transferring the points from CSR to an airline with an available seat seems logical. But those are few and far between.

My luck with Alaska-Hawaii first class plum wore out. I used to book a seat for 40K miles, but there was always only one seat, not two, so I would pay cash for the other one. They don't offer that anymore in first class for the entire trip. No more 40K first class seats means no award seats for me. I am not paying 80K points for a seat, unless it's totally free.

Case in point:
Book a flight to Maui with CSR for 40K points $600 seat is 40K points). That seat cost me a spend of about $13,333 in MF's at 3X points.
I get Alaska miles for the purchase because it goes down as a cash purchase through Expedia, and booking first gives me bonus points. So I average about 4,300 miles per leg to or from Maui (from the coast). RT that is 8600 miles. It takes 80,000 miles to get the first class seat, so in less than 10 trips, I get a free seat one way. But I have not paid anything for my seats because I build around 800K miles per year using credit cards.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have the Delta card and the resin I have it is because Deta is a hub out of my airport and I usually can not get a cheaper flight on another airline out of DTW.

The free baggage is a huge cost save for me

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not even mentioned in the article is another very important reason. Namely, if you use a card like the Chase Saphire, you get a bundle of perks- trip insurance, delayed luggage insurance and cancelation insurance. Airline cards often are not competitive in this area.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rarely use my AA card but I keep if for the free luggage fees.

Leoj12

Reaction score
I have the Delta card and the resin I have it is because Deta is a hub out of my airport and I usually can not get a cheaper flight on another airline out of DTW.

The free baggage is a huge cost save for me

I agree with the article but this is definitely an exception in my opinion. I used to live in a city that was almost exclusively one airline. That's a game changer for sure.

Reaction score
I disagree with some of the advice.

I fly AA a lot and having the Barclay Silver card helps me maintain Executive Platinum level with bonus EWM and EQD, has 3x AA bonus, gives $25 free food and drinks one very flight, has $50 wifi credit, free baggage for my travel party, and I get a free companion pass each year.

I also like the JetBlue Plus card as there are also great benefits with that card and it is cheap.

I also use the Chase Sapphire Reserve too as the benefits are tremendous.