• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Duck boat capsized in Branson

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
they are reporting eight dead, still searching for missing, and several in hospital. Some are blaming sudden violent storm, others say it capsized before the storm.
Frightening, I have been on a duck ride close to fifty times.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That's tragic news. Hope it's not as bad as being reported.

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now reporting 17 dead

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just happened upon this headline and a video.....the water was pretty rough. Those poor people.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That is awful. I am so sorry for these families. You know there are children on these boats. I am praying...

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they said one of the victims was one year old. This is a very popular ride in Wisconsin dells. The ducks are a bit smaller, they go out every three to five minutes during busy times. They cross a road, but do not go on public roads except for that. I always felt that the dangerous part was zipping along on curvy roads with sharp drop offs. Now I am rethinking. I know the day care took all the children one day.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest report is worse than we could have imagined:
"Authorities have called off the search for survivors after an amphibious tourist boat capsized near Branson, Missouri, killing 17 people and leaving seven others injured. The boat overturned during a severe thunderstorm Thursday night on Table Rock Lake, authorities said. Three children are among the dead."

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I was out on Table Rock Lake with a friend in his speedboat when a storm like this one blew in. It went from a beautiful day on the lake to pure Hell without warning. We survived it only because our boat had a lot of power and the guy who owned and was driving it was very experienced. It was touch and go and scary as Hell...

George

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the duck drivers in Dells are college age

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
They said nine of the deceased were from the same family

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is tragic incident is not going to be good for the Duck Boat fleet IMHO.
Look for many Lawsuits and a Coast Guard inspection of all the Duck Boats.
Finally, an investigation by the NTSB.

Last edited:

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mind is reeling from this tragedy because I can’t quite wrap my head around the idea of losing 17 lives and affecting many more with quite surely PTSD. What is hard for me to understand is the poor decisions made by the captain (my best guess) to (a) not hand out life vests when the boat was taking on water, (b) not turn around, go in reverse, with the waves/wind to the nearest shoreline, (c) no calls for help (that have been reported.

It’s very clear vision, 20/20, after a tragedy when you weren’t involved in the accident. I am not judging, but I’m seriously second guessing every tour of any kind I’ve been on and will take in the future. What are the safety precautions, what is the experience of the “lead”, how will people be kept safe if “x” happens?

I feel horribly for all involved and pray for them, but it all just makes my head spin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have been on the Duck boat tour in Branson as well as in Seattle, San Diego, and New York City. After reading the tragic news, I read that problems with the Duck tours are quite common.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Such a horrible tragedy.

I’ve never been on a ‘duck boat’ and now I don’t think I ever will.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is hard for me to understand is the poor decisions made by the captain (my best guess) to (a) not hand out life vests when the boat was taking on water, (b) not turn around, go in reverse, with the waves/wind to the nearest shoreline, (c) no calls for help (that have been reported.

I agree with (a) and (c) but based on my similar experience described in my prior post I don't think (b) was even remotely possible. What saved us in a similar situation on Table Rock Lake was being in a relatively heavy but very maneuverable speedboat with a lot of power. Even with all that and with the guy driving our boat having been around boats all his life it was touch and go that we would get back to shore. In our case the skipper headed directly into the waves with full power. I don't remember how many times we went airborne but it was a lot. Obviously we made it but were fortunate. There is no way the Captain of the Duck Boat could have done anything near what my guy did...

George

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The duck boat owners in Wisconsin dells were on the news last night. They said that our lake is much smaller and we have many more landing spots. Our ducks are not enclosed like the ones in Branson.
Last summer we had a sudden violent rain storm. I happened to sit next to some young women who were in the duck employee uniforms at a picnic. They said they were out on the water when it hit. They all got soaked, but never in danger,
I wonder if people were trapped inside the duck that capsized?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
A survivor stated that the captain said they did not need the life preservers and by the time it was evident they did, it was too late

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Such a horrible tragedy.

I’ve never been on a ‘duck boat’ and now I don’t think I ever will.

I think it depends on where it is. I took one in Santa Barbara, CA that went out into the ocean. Then took one in Boston that was on a river?

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score
A survivor stated that the captain said they did not need the life preservers and by the time it was evident they did, it was too late
There was an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper covering this story. They quoted a lawyer from Philadelphia who said "a life preserver could make it harder to escape. Assuming that a good captain in a high wind, thunderstorm situation tells everyone on a duck boat to put on their life jackets and they do and the boat capsizes and starts to sink, those life jackets force them upward, which they are designed to do. But it is forcing them into the canopy. And once the duck boat starts to sink, it goes down quickly" That's why he calls the duck boats a death trap. I'm not sure life jackets would have helped. Unfortunately, I knew one of the couples that lost their lives in this incident.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ducks in dells are wide open on sides and font and back. They advertise as being the World War II ducks, not the ones manufactured for the attraction

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Just now seeing a written account that says the clear plastic fold up windows were down. I was envisioning the difficulty in getting out between the side of the boat and the canopy on top in high waves, but if that window plastic was down they were "sealed" inside. What I haven't heard was how many people did they start with, and how many survivors did they have. Wonder how those folks managed to get clear of the boat. I guess my Boston duck boat tour will be "been there, done that" for me.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
31 on the boat

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just now seeing a written account that says the clear plastic fold up windows were down. I was envisioning the difficulty in getting out between the side of the boat and the canopy on top in high waves, but if that window plastic was down they were "sealed" inside. What I haven't heard was how many people did they start with, and how many survivors did they have. Wonder how those folks managed to get clear of the boat. I guess my Boston duck boat tour will be "been there, done that" for me.
The latest report I have seen stated there were 31 people on the boat, 29 passengers and 2 crew. There were 17 total fatalities which included 16 passengers and 1 of the crew. Of the 14 survivors, 7 were injured and needed medical attention.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We have been on the Duck boat tour in Branson as well as in Seattle, San Diego, and New York City. After reading the tragic news, I read that problems with the Duck tours are quite common.
Wasn't there a bad accident in Seattle a few years back? I seem to recall something like that.

Kurt