• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A plug for Cruise Critic.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that I and most experienced cruisers promote www.cruisecritic.com every chance we get. We say that CC is 'the TUG of cruises', and invariably we are told, 'but we get info we can trust on TUG.

I get it. But here are a couple of deals we got that aren't on TUG. We have booked a 14 nighter from Tokyo with like 7-8 stops, ending in Hong Kong. We are entitled to a one class cabin upgrade. We booked a basic balcony cabin and were upgraded to deluxe. Then someone posted on Cruise Critic Roll Call (there's a Roll Call for each sailing) that Celebrity was selling Suites for only $100 more than a standard balcony cabin. Butler, more space, private dining room, free drinks lounge, and all! So that was an unexpected perk for being on CC.

Then, for anyone going to Japan, get Japan Connect free Wi-Fi it's in the app store and works all over Japan. It's only for tourists and must be loaded before you get to Japan. It will direct you to restaurants, attractions, shopping and more. It uses hundreds of ssid's all over the country. Then after you leave, in 90 days it automatically uninstalls itself. We wouldn't have found this if someone on Cruise Critic hasn't posted in this friend's Roll Call.

So TUG is wonderful for what it is, but for Cruise info, Cruise Critic can't be beat.

Jim

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This cruise sounds AHHHHH-mazing! When are you going?

I was in Japan this summer and the Japan Connect was worthless (at least to me) . I rented a Wifi hotspot , turned off my cell service and it worked beautifully.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I was in Japan this summer and the Japan Connect was worthless (at least to me) . I rented a Wifi hotspot , turned off my cell service and it worked beautifully.

I think they're there now.

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I feel like my mother not wanting in-home care for my Dad because "what would they do all day?" What exactly would a butler do for me and why would I want him/her underfoot?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are a few pearls of wisdom on CC but boy you have to slog through a load of mudslinging. They don’t have the vigilant mods like here on TUG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I would agree. I used to be fairly active on CC years ago and I still sometimes join the odd roll call for cruises we go on, but the roll calls for many cruises are dead these days. It seems that most domestic cruises have gone to Facebook groups. Perhaps the more speciality cruises still stick it out on CC, but I usually don't bother anymore.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like my mother not wanting in-home care for my Dad because "what would they do all day?" What exactly would a butler do for me and why would I want him/her underfoot?

I agree with this. We had a butler that came with our hotel room at the St Regis Beijing. That means instead of a tea kettle in the room, my wife had to call the butler, explain how she liked her tea, wait for him to make it and bring it on a little cart.

While that is "fancier" it's way slower than doing it yourself.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree about the signal to noise ratio. We truly just use the Roll Calls for cruises, and generally book through our VTG t/a. But for Cruise newbies, the CC site has the most info. Unfortunately, it's like getting a drink from a fire hose.

BTW the refurbed Millennium is gorgeous and check-in in was beyond painless. Drop our bags, put carry ons on the scanner, and walk aboard. Our Sea Passes were in our cabin door rack and the butler came in, poured the Champagne and explained everything. The sodas, beers, in the mini bar are comp. I can learn to like this.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I agree about the signal to noise ratio. We truly just use the Roll Calls for cruises, and generally book through our VTG t/a. But for Cruise newbies, the CC site has the most info. Unfortunately, it's like getting a drink from a fire hose.

BTW the refurbed Millennium is gorgeous and check-in in was beyond painless. Drop our bags, put carry ons on the scanner, and walk aboard. Our Sea Passes were in our cabin door rack and the butler came in, poured the Champagne and explained everything. The sodas, beers, in the mini bar are comp. I can learn to like this.
Bon Voyage Jim! Have a great trip.

Richard

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, wishing you smooth sailing and if you came please share with your Tuggers a mini review and maybe some photos of your cruise..

Jim, is cruising with Celebrity Cruise Lines and I feel he is a Captain Club member with Celebrity.

Jim, is cruising in a suite category, that comes with a butler on Celebrity Cruise Line.
Lower ship cabin categories on Celebrity Cruise Lines do not comes with a butler.

Jim, Please enjoy your Far East Asia trip.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Bon Voyage! Sounds marvelous! I agree on the benefits of Cruise Critic. I've discovered some wonder private tour guides and itineraries from reading there as well as small groups getting together on Roll Call for private tours. Saved a bunch of money on some and spent more, but had a far better, sometimes perfect, experience on others. I've found great tips on restaurants, shopping, routes, etc. Have no cruises planned for the future but when considering one next, I'll be on Cruise Critic.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the photo, please enjoy your cruise on the Millennium
Wishing you smooth sailing.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
How exciting, Jim! Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Bon voyage!

Here's hoping you'll give us a mini trip report in real time! Sounds like a fabulous voyage.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
CC is a place of great information & knowledge from around the world; but the posters on TUG are gentle, kinder, and more respectful with one another. We are liked family members that we have never seen in the body.

IMHO.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_20191125_210125.jpg
Hibachi-ing (is that a word?) Kobe beef after a long day of self-catered sightseeing in Kobe. My pedometer showed over 20000 steps. A lot for us old kermudgeons!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim nice photo, now how many steps are you going to need now to walked that off??? LOL:wave::p
Any other words, :hi::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Please enjoy your cruise.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A whole lot of those steps were climbing ladders, carefully described as 'stairs' in Hamiji Castle. A 14th C. UNESCO Heritage site.
IMG_20191125_132223.jpg

Off to Kyoto today

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have found Japan Connect of little value as well. It doesn't live up to the hype. We are using the ship Wi-Fi (full time unlimited on 2 devices- about $200 total for the cruise) and Wi-Fi here and there ashore, and AT&T int'l for the rare phone needs.
This wouldn't work for everyone, but it's OK for the short term.
Jim

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted. You have prompted me to consider a cruise around Japan or a similar itinerary to yours.