• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

a very good retirement pension

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is good advice, but it is not just for the younger generation. I am 30 years into my career, and I knew from the beginning to start saving for my own retirement (which I did!) and not to rely on a company pension or Social Security. I know it may sound harsh, but I don't have much sympathy for those who cry "Woa is me" when they find themselves 50 years old and no retirement savings. They were most likely living it up while us savers were busy living on a budget. And this happens at all income levels.

Kurt
I agree with you Kurt, what gets me is the resentment of the non savers because we have savings. Two people worked full time, one child, did not take maternity leave, and we are at fault because we saved money and they didn't. Whiners.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks, while it is true that there are people who make enough money who should be saving but they are not, but there are many more people who make a few dollars per hour above minimum wage their whole lives and are always behind on making payments on bare necessities like shelter and food. Surely it cannot be so hard to understand why there are many people who have no savings and it is not because they spend on frivolous things.

geekette

Reaction score
Our daughter, who has a masters degree in the health care field and could make very good $, refuses to work. They will pay a big price for this in about 35-40 years. We plan to spend everything before we die...we have already given and given and given...
Refuses to work? Why get a masters and throw it in the garbage?

Good on you, it's not your responsibility to float your kids once they are not kids. Live your life as you planned and daughter will live whatever reality she earns for herself.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good on you, it's not your responsibility to float your kids once they are not kids. Live your life as you planned and daughter will live whatever reality she earns for herself.

Good question. She has 2 kids under 2 and wants another by Christmas. Needless to say, we aren't on the same page..

geekette

Reaction score
Good question. She has 2 kids under 2 and wants another by Christmas. Needless to say, we aren't on the same page..
holy moly. Good luck to her. I hope she is an outstanding mother with a superhuman reserve of patience and energy. Good luck also to whomever is providing for all those mouths. Hope she isn't expecting them to provide for her when she's elderly because that's not a retirement plan, either.

I have zero maternal instinct, but if I did and it was strong, I would not have put myself thru so much school that I didn't need, I would have been working my butt off in whatever best job available to stack cash instead and checked out library books to learn whatever I needed. No degree requirements for motherhood.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score

My daughter in law has earned two masters degrees since they married, her excuse was the one child, but he is full time school now, next year she starts on her phd, now she wants to work in a museum. So since this century three years full time work, the rest school or home for various reasons.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
I have relatives who are government attorneys in Washington and based on something they said, I didn't think it had been that long.
Yup, its been since the 80s. People who started before that had had the option to keep the old system (CSRS), and there are still a few of those around. But for the most part, they have all retired. https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/4583

Although most agencies have attorneys (and would be under FERS), I did double check DoJ, and yes, that is FERS. https://www.justice.gov/usao-edmi/jobs/employee-benefits

There is a possibility they are at some agency that does something somewhat different. For example, the Treasure Department has a different pay scale, but it looks like they have the same three-part retirement system https://www.treasury.gov/careers/Pages/benefits.aspx

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The master's degrees are not wasted. If these gals go to work later on, they have that out of the way. No one can be a better parent to the kiddos than their moms and dads. Obviously for now they are putting family before money. But no one should have to subsidize that decision.

geekette

Reaction score
My daughter in law has earned two masters degrees since they married, her excuse was the one child, but he is full time school now, next year she starts on her phd, now she wants to work in a museum. So since this century three years full time work, the rest school or home for various reasons.
Wow, holy crap. Why get a phd to work in a museum? I did it with much less schooling!!!

No wonder I am so ready for retirement, I've been working since I was 15!!

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The master's degrees are not wasted. If these gals go to work later on, they have that out of the way. No one can be a better parent to the kiddos than their moms and dads. Obviously for now they are putting family before money. But no one should have to subsidize that decision.

I think its possible to be good parents and both parents work.. This is a personal choice, but we can no longer subsidize our daughter's choice.

geekette

Reaction score
Degrees get old, the world advances past state of the art (or science). Old degrees with zero work experience are not going to open any doors. "Great, what have you done since you were 25 that can help my company?" Academic achievements demonstrate nothing about ability to work for a boss, and the farther in the past those achievements were, the less valuable they become.

I am good with people making choices in life to be happy, and agree that actual parents are best parents for kids. Agree also that people should subsidize their own decisions. Want a degree for the sake of having a degree? Rock on, ok by me.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wow, holy crap. Why get a phd to work in a museum? I did it with much less schooling!!!

No wonder I am so ready for retirement, I've been working since I was 15!!
Unfortunately many jobs that we were able to get with much less schooling require those advanced degrees now.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our daughter, who has a masters degree in the health care field and could make very good $, refuses to work. They will pay a big price for this in about 35-40 years. We plan to spend everything before we die...we have already given and given and given...

My sisterinlaw has a degree, but because my brother makes a lot of money, she chose to stay home with their daughter after working just a couple of years, and she never went back. She lives the life I wish I could have.

To her credit also, she did a lot of cat rescue work and also did a lot of work on the HOA board for their vacation condo they used to own, flying back and forth to Fla. sometimes (poor thing. LOL!)

So- if your daughter doesn't have to work and I assume she is married, and she stays married, she is one lucky woman! Many of these jobs today stink to high heaven. I can't even begin to tell you what goes on at my company and I am in health care.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sisterinlaw has a degree, but because my brother makes a lot of money, she chose to stay home with their daughter after working just a couple of years, and she never went back. She lives the life I wish I could have.

To her credit also, she did a lot of cat rescue work and also did a lot of work on the HOA board for their vacation condo they used to own, flying back and forth to Fla. sometimes (poor thing. LOL!)

So- if your daughter doesn't have to work and I assume she is married, and she stays married, she is one lucky woman! Many of these jobs today stink to high heaven. I can't even begin to tell you what goes on at my company and I am in health care.

The problem is she needs to work. Her husband was out of work for a while and now has a job, but not nearly enough to support a growing family and save for retirement. I've lost count of how many times we've bailed them out. The amount we've spent (mainly because our daughter doesn't 'want' to work) has been substantial. We may end up being estranged from our grandchildren, but this is the last time.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son who has a communication disability but intelligent has been unable to get a job as he interviews poorly. There is no way he can save for retirement when he is not having an income. Yes, I still support him partially and will probably do so for the rest of my life. I am still thinking how to structure his inheritance when I pass away so that he will not run out of money. He was a hardworker when he worked for us for 5 years. He wants to work but cannot find work. It is worrisome. He has a Bachelor's Degree and has applied everywhere, including Home Depot, grocery store, even fast food. ARGH.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the reason there are a lot of people out there between say 35 and 50 years old who don't have a pension or anything saved for retirement and don't seem to be concerned about it. If nothing changes, there is going to be a crisis in this Country when these people are unable to work and don't have money to live on.

George

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
For all my complaints, my daughters former in laws lost their 31 year old son Sunday, he passed away of heart failure during the night. First met him at age 21, and for many years as he prolonged college. feeling so terrible for that poor family. So count your blessings, I know that griping on here saves us from griping to the ones we are thinking about.

geekette

Reaction score
Unfortunately many jobs that we were able to get with much less schooling require those advanced degrees now.
I am still in the workforce and have to say that this is far from universally true.

Professions vary, no doubt about that. The focus is generally on what interviewee can do right now for interviewer. It's all about marketable skills, who needs em and who has em. Some degrees age slower than others, this is quite true. Some will open doors, some won't. Mine is biz, not much has changed, same core things still happen in all businesses, finance, production and marketing.

I worked at a major museum for about 7 years and in most every case where a "required" degree was listed, it almost always said "or relevant experience". We'd take a person that had been around the world on paleo digs over the much-degreed person that only knew from books. Education portions are different, academics like to see academic accomplishment. In many work arenas, depending on the market you're in, experience can outweigh a degree.

Each situation is different, and I would generally agree that a college degree of some sort has replaced high school diploma as new minimum, but I will always believe that a hard working person wanting to learn can do so without having to stack up pricey degrees. The cost vs benefit equation has changed and too many people paid way too much on pricey degrees with loans that have ruined their lives. I got my degree for me. If the employer wants me to have more, they can pay for it. There is a limit to how much debt I will take on for the illusion of a promise of lucrative employment.

geekette

Reaction score
For all my complaints, my daughters former in laws lost their 31 year old son Sunday, he passed away of heart failure during the night. First met him at age 21, and for many years as he prolonged college. feeling so terrible for that poor family. So count your blessings, I know that griping on here saves us from griping to the ones we are thinking about.
Oh my, I am so terribly sorry to hear this. That is far too young.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the reason there are a lot of people out there between say 35 and 50 years old who don't have a pension or anything saved for retirement and don't seem to be concerned about it. If nothing changes, there is going to be a crisis in this Country when these people are unable to work and don't have money to live on.

George

I agree with you completely. There is a looming retirement crisis in this country. Eventually those of us who have been successful will end up getting less in SS and having to pay more for medicare (if we get any benefits at all). It will be means-tested..

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is she needs to work. Her husband was out of work for a while and now has a job, but not nearly enough to support a growing family and save for retirement. I've lost count of how many times we've bailed them out. The amount we've spent (mainly because our daughter doesn't 'want' to work) has been substantial. Every penney we spend is a penney that takes away from our retirement. We may end up being estranged from our grandchildren, but this is the last time.

I wish you much strength. :bawl: I have been witness to this with some of my co-workers. I feel blessed that I haven't had to walk in yours or their shoes with my children. It's easy to say, "I would never allow that." I'm sure it's gut-wrenching to draw the line and say "no more."

But as I have seen with my co-workers, it won't matter how much money you throw at them, it won't change their situation. It will be never-ending. The money cripples them to do anything differently. I know it must be heart-breaking, especially with children involved. As we all know, you shouldn't be estranged from your grandchildren simply because you choose to protect yourselves and stop "bleeding" cash. You must protect your future. You've seen that "assisting" hasn't improved their situation. They will have to want more for themselves and their family, and do what it takes to make it happen. Stay strong. :)

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish you much strength. :bawl: I have been witness to this with some of my co-workers. I feel blessed that I haven't had to walk in yours or their shoes with my children. It's easy to say, "I would never allow that." I'm sure it's gut-wrenching to draw the line and say "no more."

But as I have seen with my co-workers, it won't matter how much money you throw at them, it won't change their situation. It will be never-ending. The money cripples them to do anything differently. I know it must be heart-breaking, especially with children involved. As we all know, you shouldn't be estranged from your grandchildren simply because you choose to protect yourselves and stop "bleeding" cash. You must protect your future. You've seen that "assisting" hasn't improved their situation. They will have to want more for themselves and their family, and do what it takes to make it happen. Stay strong. :)

Thanks for your kind words and support. Most of our assistance has been because of our grandchildren. Our SIL recently got a good job, but I doubt it will be enough, if they don't do some serious budgeting and watching what they spend.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The problem is she needs to work. Her husband was out of work for a while and now has a job, but not nearly enough to support a growing family and save for retirement. I've lost count of how many times we've bailed them out. The amount we've spent (mainly because our daughter doesn't 'want' to work) has been substantial. We may end up being estranged from our grandchildren, but this is the last time.

My husband would use the phrase "want in one hand, .... in the other and see which one fills up first" about wanting another child. You are certainly under no obligation to support them especially in lieu of her wanting another child when she already has two that they haven't been able to support without your help. I have to agree with you that this is very irresponsible given their circumstances.

I strongly support one parent staying at home with their children for the first couple of years if at all possible. We are currently subsidizing our son, who is our only child, so he can work part time on a different shift than his wife. She doesn't have that option. During the day he is Mr. Mom to their 20 month old daughter and six year old daughter who is in kindergarten. He does the shopping, most of the cooking and some of the laundry and cleaning. By him working part time on a different shift they don't have to pay for childcare for their younger one, infant care is more expensive, nor before or after school care for their older one. That is such a huge savings that all they needed us to do is pay their $100 a month cell phone bill. Without him asking I've paid his $150 a month school loan, before Christmas to help them have some extra money for Christmas, and twice when they had a big auto care expense. Our DIL is a teacher so when the school year ends our son plans to go back to full time. By later August when our DIL starts back to school our younger granddaughter will be over two years old and I have no problem with her going to a sitter or daycare as at that point she will be old enough to talk and tell them if something bad happens to her.

Last September I went up to help our son and DIL out for almost a month while he trained full time on days for a new position. I saw how complicated their lives were with both of them working full time. I would gladly continue to pay their $100 a month cellphone bill and the school loan a couple of times a year to have our son stay part time another year until the younger one is three years old. By then she will benefit from the socialization of being around other children her age on a regular basis. But that is their decision.

The jobs and schedules our son and DIL worked when their first child was born meant that they didn't need child care her first year. After that their schedules changed and they had to find a sitter three days a week. A couple of months later the sitter, who was wonderful, was offered a full time job by a previous employer. The new sitter was someone their neighbor had known when the sitter was growing up and had known her whole family for years. The sitter was now 25 or 26 and married.

The job my son had at that time meant he had to work killer hours from Thanksgiving through New Years. Our DIL is a music teacher and at that time was working at two Catholic schools, both of which had Christmas programs that were her responsibility. She also taught private lessons and was the music director for a Church so had extra responsibilities during the Christmas season with their Praise band and choir. I flew up to help the day the flights dropped after Thanksgiving, staying 3 weeks until the flights went up in price just before Christmas. Our son warned me before I got there that his daughter might not want to go to me as she was belatedly going through the strange stage with other people. I thought this was odd as she had never shown any signs of this before and was one of the happiest, least fussy babies I have ever seen. When I got there she was thrilled to see me. Over the next few days I was shocked about the changes I saw in our granddaughter that had developed in just the six weeks she had been going to this sitter. During this time my husband was able to spend a couple of days with us. He too noticed and was upset by the changes in our granddaughter.

I told our son that I had a very bad feeling about this sitter and how upset and worried I was about the changes in their daughter. By this point I'm having a come to Jesus talk with him and I'm in my take no prisoners state of mind. When I get to that point it has never once in his life gone well for him and he had finally learned that he better pay close attention to what I'm telling him. I had been telling our son when we talked on the phone that the things he was telling me about their daughter since she started with that sitter weren't normal. He reminded me that they had asked other people, including my DIL's Mother and older sister about the changes in a child when they get to the toddler stage. They had been chalking up what they were seeing to that. I only had the one child but my DIL's mother and sister both had 3 each so they were seen as being a more reliable source than I was even though they were rarely around the child and not in frequent communication with his wife like he is with his Father and me. I restrained myself from verbally ripping him a new one because I could see that he knew he deserved it and asked him please, please, please find someone else.

Our son was still working killer hours so asked our DIL to take care of finding a new sitter since she was free for the rest of her break once Christmas was past. Our DIL only picked their daughter up from the sitter so just thought the crying for Mommy when she got there was normal at that age. I could have just kicked her in the behind because I had picked their daughter up from the first sitter just a few months before and she was all smiles and waving bye-bye to that sitter. Our DIL didn't do what our son asked her to do. When our DIL started back after break our son had to take their daughter back to the same sitter, she started crying as soon as he turned on the sitter's street. He figured since she hadn't been there since before Thanksgiving, over 7 weeks ago and she only went to that sitter for about 6 six weeks, that at 17 months she couldn't possibly know where she was. The second day she started sobbing so uncontrollably that our son was really scared. He called me on his way to work half in tears saying she absolutely did know where she was, that he was sure that I was right in saying there was something wrong and they shouldn't take her back to this sitter. He ended up leaving work early to go get her and he had a new sitter by the end of the day. Which by the way was someone a co-worker of his raved about and said her kids loved and he had told his wife to contact. Our DIL wasn't entirely convinced about what our son and I suspected until the new sitter commented about the change in their daughter within the first two weeks of being there. They had never said anything about the previous sitter. Then our DIL felt really guilty and I'm happy to say our son wasn't at all sympathetic and came down on her hard. We will never know what went on but it became very clear to both our son and DIL that something certainly had.

The first four years of a child's life are the most important years of their lives developmentally. If you can truly say that your daughter is a wonderful and loving mother to your grandchildren and you won't go broke helping them out then it is so worth doing so. However adding another child to already strained finances is not a wise decision. That would make three children under the age of four, then add money problems to that. Too many marriages don't survive. I've observed that many of the younger generation simply have no concept of how expensive it will be when their kids get involved in sports, become teenagers, start driving, go to college, etc. Your daughter and SIL are already behind financially and she really needs to go back to work in another year to eighteen months. But maybe they will win the lottery or have someone in one of their families die and leave them a nice chunk of money to get their heads above water before their kids can be self supporting.

BTW our son and DIL never intended to have a second child. They've struggled financially their entire marriage and with their first ready to start school weren't going to have to pay for daycare anymore so would finally start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. This was their second oops and they are making very sure there are no more oops! Their plan when they got married was to wait five years before they started a family. Two months into their marriage and they were expecting. Life doesn't always go as planned! I do give my son credit as he contributes as much to his 401K as his company matches and has never touched it. Unlike his wife who will get a State teacher's pension, he knows the chances aren't good that he will ever have a pension from an employer.

We lived frugally for the first nine years we were married so that I would be able to stay at home with any children we might have. This was very important to both of us and a goal we worked hard and sacrificed to make happen. My Father was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when I was 11 years old and only had social security to live on but he would have been glad to help both my sister and I if he had been able to work. Neither of my parents had parents who were in any position to help them monetarily. However when my Mother went back to work when I was 18 months old my Father took me every day to his parents house for his Mother to take care of me. This continued until I was about 4.5 and my sister was born. Those grandparents always had a big garden that supplied them, us and my aunt's family. My paternal grandfather paid me for my A's and B's from the 4th grade when we started getting letter grades until he died when I was 16. Of course like any kid I liked the money but that he cared so much about my grades that he paid me and was proud of me was what was really important to me. My father was having health problems by then and my parents were not in any position to reward me for my grades like many other parents did so my grandfather stepped up. He would ask about those B's, not making me feel bad about them, but in a way that made me feel like he cared whether or not I liked a subject or it wasn't as easy for me as other subjects. Not all help comes in the form of money. My widowed MIL was 92 when she passed a few years ago and she clung to her money with the excuse that no one ever helped them. Which was absolutely not true as both sets of parents had helped them quite a bit and she inherited a nice amount from her Father. My husband's two older brothers still talk about when their Father's Mother showed up with a grocery bag full of money so their parents could pay off their house and other things both sets of grandparents did for their family. And I'm sure there were other things they didn't know about when they were little or weren't aware of when they were older. So instead of helping all five of her children when they had young families and could have used the help, money or otherwise, they inherited the money when they were old enough to no longer need the help. Yet during all of their younger years when they struggled to get the bills paid each month their Mother was always quick to criticize that none of them were saving or saving enough. All five of her children are smart, hardworking, none of them into drinking or drugs, or the type to sponge off her. All four of her boys have been good husbands and fathers too. She wasn't interested in her grandchildren and I don't remember her ever praising or rewarding them for anything they accomplished. Although she was thrilled to brag to her friends about anything they did she considered worthwhile. She was very fortunate that my husband's Father thought the world of his Mother and drilled into his children that they should love and be good to their Mother. I would rather die a pauper than be remembered like my husband and his siblings remember their Mother, that money was more important to her than they were.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Oh, wow. Well, that is certainly a different story from my sisterinlaws'.

Tough love is the only way. No more enabling. Tell them you now have to take care of your own retirement and needs as you get older. You have done everything you can to help them.

If they need more money they will have to increase their income one way or another- meaning her husband gets a second job or she gets a job or both. They will have to figure it all out. Good luck to them!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eventually those of us who have been successful will end up getting less in SS and having to pay more for Medicare (if we get any benefits at all). It will be means-tested..

Actually it already is. I pay a lot more for Medicare Part B and Part D than most due to my earnings. It will be simple enough to apply a similar formula to Basic Medicare. Both my Part B and Part D contributions are deducted from my monthly Social Security payment. Because they have been increasing every year my Social Security payment has been getting smaller and smaller year by year.

Let me hasten to add that this doesn't particularly bother me as I feel fortunate to be in this position.

George

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.