• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When I first started working with the company I’ve been with for the past 15 years, I had a boss who told me: “Always make sure there’s at least one important thing at work that only you know how to do”.

I think the thing I have most is the excellent long term relationships with the clients.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sorry to heard about your job situation. No matter what happens, please do not resign. Hang in there as long as you can.

Your story remind me of my past situation at work. I worked for a boss, but as long as I do my daily assigment, he will not bother me. I remember we have a mid year review and he told me that " I am a reliale worker and he happy with my work performance.

After that, another supervisor ( in same group) took over the whole group and my boss is no longer in supervisor possition, just become a regular worker like me. The new boss suddently talked to new manager and we ( me, my previous boss and another co- worker) get a written warning . In the new boss eye's, we did not performed well on our duty and we were given 90 days to improve out performance or more consequences will follow.

I cried serveral days because I am very upset. This is the first written warning I ever received in my 30 years working carrer. After thinking and discussing with DH. I decided to fight the situation with whatever I have. At that time , all I can think is to keep my job. I stay longer at work for many hours and come in to work every weekend to make sure I never miss work the deadline for whatever job the new boss assigned to me. I also make sure the new boss knows I stay at work late and come to work in the weekend.

After 90 days, my efforts pay off. I am out of probation situation while my previous boss and the other co-worker get terminate. Since then, under this new boss. I still stay make sure all the work assigned to me get done before the deadline. It take a couples years until finally the new boss accept me as one of his people and no longer giving me a hard time.

I can never know the whole situation of why it happens and why the new boss target us ( me, my previous boss and my co -worker). I remember all around me , people I know, got lay off from work . Every week, I heard someone I know lost his or her job. It was very terrible and very depression situation.

I share my story with you with the hope that you will fight hard to keep your job for a few more years until you qualify for medicare.

My DH is about your age and not long ago, his upper management ask him when plan to retire. Iam not sure it is just a normal conversation or it is a bad sign . I just hope DH can stay at his current jon 3 more years until he can get his medicare. But who knows, nowaday company loves to push away old worker to replace with new younger worker.

Well- just wow! I give you a lot of credit for all that extra work you did to keep your job and the stamina you had to do it! You are better than me- I have a line I draw- however- my goal is always to work smart- not necessarily hard, though I am not afraid of hard work.

I hope all works out for your husband as well. My former CEO asked me last year if I planned on retiring with "him". I said I hoped I would make it. He said that 4 years was not that long (to me it is an eternity! LOL!)- Meanwhile he threw us all under the bus this year with the sale of the company. I just saw him today as I had to deliver something to him. I asked him how his vacation was and he said "not long enough". He has actually not been very happy himself the past few years.(not that I feel bad for him). Even though he was a jerk, he at least was mostly always pleasant and always backed me up with the hospital board.

I was just telling my husband tonight that it is really a shame how things are at this stage of life for people like us while I see so many other people who have been retired for like 10 years already at our age and moved to their sunny destinations and enjoying each day of their much younger lives.

But- then I slap myself and say I have to be grateful because things could be so much worse. We still have our health- at least right now.

Good luck to you and thank you so much for sharing your story with me! It does help a lot!

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
You're absolutely right, Mary Ann. Employers set the tone--and it begins with the person at the top of the organization. Does the CEO engage with other members of the team? It's natural for him/her to engage most frequently with members of the management team since those are the folks he/she interacts with most frequently in guiding the company. But at least once a week in a small business of 500 employees or less, the CEO needs to do what Waterman and Peters suggested a generation ago in their landmark book In Search Of Excellence: Management By Walking Around. It means just walking the office and/or plant floor, talking to people, hearing their concerns, sharing a story, learning a little about their families, encouraging them to keep up the good work. That kind of leadership creates an aura of goodwill that permeates the company.
Outstanding.

Just a few years ago, I left a job I loved because the CEO whose wacky ideas in the middle of the night I made into reality in daylight never bothered to have a conversation with me. We were under 200 employees, I was reasonably important, in charge of use and visualization of data with an Always Fresh mandate. It was a 24/7 job and I had no backup, there was no one that did what I did there, and only a few that could even understand what I built.

I was fed up with being the company workhorse while just one level above me, they were flying all over the planet for "retreats". I couldn't even get approval to go to a conference that would have helped my work immensely. I was further annoyed that "profit sharing" that would emerge as a match in 401k never did. I was in a position to know that we were very profitable. I don't like companies that mislead about benefits. Raises for rank and file were minuscule (<2%) yet management routinely got at least 5% plus bonuses. The last straw (I am sooo patient) was when they built a training room very near us, which was fine. It was the lunchroom they built onto it that was the problem. No doors, I could lean in my chair and see the steamer trays, the bar. To get to the restroom, the path was between the food table and the tables of people eating it. We could always smell whatever the exec chef made for whomever was training that day and it was kind of aroma torture. It's Right There. But NOT FOR YOU. And, what had been a quiet work area became Break Central with the trainees having apparently no clue that people in cubes Are Working. I don't blame the visitors. Insensitive blokes didn't deserve me.

I don't stick around somewhere that doesn't care about the people that get the real work done. I had one foot out of my current employer that has too many anti-employee policies, then I got sick. The idea of returning there is repugnant. I don't have to stay but I will have to go back. I have 7 more years until retirement and not at all sure I want to waste it on them.

geekette

Reaction score
Not meant to be callous or naive at all. Based on this thread and others and no matter how she thinks her attitude comes across to clients it is not good for the company. Remember we are only getting one side. I would not want someone working just for a paycheck. I want someone that is happy to come to work, learn and grow.

A lot of times people are better off with early retirement or a change in careers.
Survey all the people you know that work for someone else. Ask how many would work if they didn't need a paycheck. Ask how many are actually valued by their employers. Ask if anyone has been satisfied by salary increases the past decade. Ask how many have the opportunity to learn and grow.

Does anyone get training any more?? I realize my field is different, but even in tech, some companies refuse to pay for training yet will pound you if something goes wrong. I do the best I can but if I am not given an opportunity to learn from people already implementing it, it's hard to see how it is My Fault that something goes wrong. it's tech. crap goes wrong even when experts implement. I will not use my off hours as study to further my employer's mission, especially when there is no reward for me, just loss of My Time. What would be my motivation, when I know that no matter how much I try to study things can and will go wrong and I will be punished?

I don't think you understand her job or the realities of her region. Just because YOU think she should retire early or change careers doesn't make it reasonable, feasible nor even warranted. I am also a bit annoyed that you have decided how she presents to clients based on posts here!! Better to vent here to have it unloaded. You aren't there, you have no idea what level of professionalism she exhibits. And I would say that the issues she's dealing with are problems with the company and conduct of other employees, not a mess of her own making. I guess you missed things thru time about how she has been treated. This company isn't interested in growing happy employees, it sounds more like they barely tolerate having employees at all. You think she should ask for more spanking and disrespect and be grateful when she gets it?? That's loony. Good luck with growing happy employees that way.

If a company wants happy employees, eager to get to work each day, then they need to provide an environment that inspires and rewards that. Like WalnutBaron describes, It Matters.

It's great that you think everyone should be happy and fulfilled on the job. That is damned rare. Most of us are squeezed squeezed squeezed, tiny raises (if there is a raise), cut backs in training, demands to donate your off hours time, time off blackouts at major holidays (ours was over this past Christmas/New Year holiday), etc. I am a human being First, an employee somewhere down the line. I do not check my humanity at the door no matter how much my employer would rather have robots.

geekette

Reaction score
Based on a hunch, my guess is the OP is hoping to get fired. It should be noted that 1099 employees do not pay into unemployment, so you probably will not be eligible for that, if a switch in status occurs.

Good luck, Mary Ann. I hope it all works out in the end.
hoping to get fired? I don't think you have followed this thread!

geekette

Reaction score
When I first started working with the company I’ve been with for the past 15 years, I had a boss who told me: “Always make sure there’s at least one important thing at work that only you know how to do”.
that's horrible.

and sadly true.

we are just bodies replaceable by other bodies.

geekette

Reaction score
I agree with the above. They may split the job with some additions from other areas, have you train the other person and then lay you off/fire you with the excuse that they are eliminating the position and try to avoid any implication of age discrimination. ...

YES. The "you train em" part is suspect and I'm sure it's coming.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have little doubt age discrimination is alive and well. Seen it many times. I think many times it's more getting rid of the older one to pay a new person much less, at least in the cases I have seen. Of course, they were worth a lot less too! Depends on the field I suspect. I would venture to say if I applied for an IT job at my age they would in many cases write me off immediately. What they don't know though is all I have done and just how much I know about technology! I generally help the younger ones with tech! Only limited time in an interview. Commercials, tv shows, etc always seem to present older folks as techno-challenged. Which can be the case, but not always.

Sorry to hear about the troubles, hope it works out.

geekette

Reaction score
Hang tough. You have a new profile pic and therefore New Energy!

I like to believe that people eventually get what they deserve. Immature jerk will get his.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Wait- what? My attitude is A1 with the clients! In fact, most of the clients (many of whom are doctors or their staff) come to our facility for their own personal tests. And- guess who they ask to visit when they are there? Yours truly! I do not put on a negative face to the clients- ever! I am always professional and sincere and warm. It is not my nature to be otherwise. If you really knew me- you would get it. If this weren't true, I would have never lasted at this job or ANY of the jobs I have had all these years.

In fact, one client just told me this week she loves working with me as opposed to our competitors' rep.

And- yeah- I would love to be happy to come to work everyday. The one thing I am good with at work is being out of the office and talking and interacting with our clients.
Mpumilia, since I have been on tug I have loved your attitude. To me, you have always been inviting and helpful. I have no doubt that is how you are at work.

Life will take you where you need to go. Unfortunately, you cannot control this horrible situation. You can only control how you react to it. Please take care of yourself. All this stress can make you sick.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’ve been thinking of you the past few weeks and I hate that companies want to get rid of the mature worker. Just keep being you and stay true to yourself and trust that things will work out the way they are supposed to. My CFO has been trying to get rid of me since day one and I just made myself indispensable and now I’m hitting 3 years at this company. I hope things work out.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Outstanding.

Just a few years ago, I left a job I loved because the CEO whose wacky ideas in the middle of the night I made into reality in daylight never bothered to have a conversation with me. We were under 200 employees, I was reasonably important, in charge of use and visualization of data with an Always Fresh mandate. It was a 24/7 job and I had no backup, there was no one that did what I did there, and only a few that could even understand what I built.

I was fed up with being the company workhorse while just one level above me, they were flying all over the planet for "retreats". I couldn't even get approval to go to a conference that would have helped my work immensely. I was further annoyed that "profit sharing" that would emerge as a match in 401k never did. I was in a position to know that we were very profitable. I don't like companies that mislead about benefits. Raises for rank and file were minuscule (<2%) yet management routinely got at least 5% plus bonuses. The last straw (I am sooo patient) was when they built a training room very near us, which was fine. It was the lunchroom they built onto it that was the problem. No doors, I could lean in my chair and see the steamer trays, the bar. To get to the restroom, the path was between the food table and the tables of people eating it. We could always smell whatever the exec chef made for whomever was training that day and it was kind of aroma torture. It's Right There. But NOT FOR YOU. And, what had been a quiet work area became Break Central with the trainees having apparently no clue that people in cubes Are Working. I don't blame the visitors. Insensitive blokes didn't deserve me.

I don't stick around somewhere that doesn't care about the people that get the real work done. I had one foot out of my current employer that has too many anti-employee policies, then I got sick. The idea of returning there is repugnant. I don't have to stay but I will have to go back. I have 7 more years until retirement and not at all sure I want to waste it on them.

This is right on! I do hope you are feeling better. You have to wonder if all this stress caused your illness. I really think most of these companies want robots despite how they try to spin it. If you have any intelligence or ask questions, you're ignored or out the door.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Survey all the people you know that work for someone else. Ask how many would work if they didn't need a paycheck. Ask how many are actually valued by their employers. Ask if anyone has been satisfied by salary increases the past decade. Ask how many have the opportunity to learn and grow.

Does anyone get training any more?? I realize my field is different, but even in tech, some companies refuse to pay for training yet will pound you if something goes wrong. I do the best I can but if I am not given an opportunity to learn from people already implementing it, it's hard to see how it is My Fault that something goes wrong. it's tech. crap goes wrong even when experts implement. I will not use my off hours as study to further my employer's mission, especially when there is no reward for me, just loss of My Time. What would be my motivation, when I know that no matter how much I try to study things can and will go wrong and I will be punished?

I don't think you understand her job or the realities of her region. Just because YOU think she should retire early or change careers doesn't make it reasonable, feasible nor even warranted. I am also a bit annoyed that you have decided how she presents to clients based on posts here!! Better to vent here to have it unloaded. You aren't there, you have no idea what level of professionalism she exhibits. And I would say that the issues she's dealing with are problems with the company and conduct of other employees, not a mess of her own making. I guess you missed things thru time about how she has been treated. This company isn't interested in growing happy employees, it sounds more like they barely tolerate having employees at all. You think she should ask for more spanking and disrespect and be grateful when she gets it?? That's loony. Good luck with growing happy employees that way.

If a company wants happy employees, eager to get to work each day, then they need to provide an environment that inspires and rewards that. Like WalnutBaron describes, It Matters.

It's great that you think everyone should be happy and fulfilled on the job. That is damned rare. Most of us are squeezed squeezed squeezed, tiny raises (if there is a raise), cut backs in training, demands to donate your off hours time, time off blackouts at major holidays (ours was over this past Christmas/New Year holiday), etc. I am a human being First, an employee somewhere down the line. I do not check my humanity at the door no matter how much my employer would rather have robots.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Exactly!

Just a couple of weeks ago I received a text from the marketing rep for the PET/CT company that supplies our mobile unit. Know her for years, of course. We have done some work together for our facility. Wanted to know if I would be at the meeting she and her supervisor were having with "Idiot Boy" (aka the administrative director) at my job. I told her I knew nothing about the meeting. Meanwhile, "Idiot Boy" keeps telling me how important my position is. That it is a "leadership" position that plays a significant role. Wow- really? So important that you did not include me in that meeting? So important that you have been treating me like s*^$t since you started as director? SMH...

I was hoping this new company acquisition would have been a good change for us because the past management has been horrible. But now we have gone from bad to worse with them putting this man in charge. I still don't get it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I will say- that marketing reps/sales people get a bad rap sometimes. Sure- it seems we have it easy being out on the road- free of cubicles and a supervisor (and camera) looking over your shoulder every second.

But- try having to spend every single work day displaying happiness and energy, despite the fact that you want to cry or maybe scream or you are dragging/tired or simply just having a bad day. Putting yourself in front of clients all day every day. Having to deal with all types of personalities. Having to figure out what they need or what their motives are or if they are being truthful and what the politics are in a situation. Always having to look and be your best. Can't wing it like you might be able to if you have a desk/cubicle job with little face to face public interaction.

Then- try doing this not only every day but each and every day for YEARS on end. You have to have the right temperament and stamina. And you have to deal with the repetition of it all and the accountability to your superiors for a lot of what is not in your control- all the intangibles.

Just a few weeks ago I was in a doctor/clients office and I met the new front desk person. First thing she commented- in a positive way- is that I have "way too much energy". I was just back there the other day and found out she quit. I guess she didn't have the energy.

This said, I could never stay inside all day in a place like ours. I don't know how my coworkers do it. Then again the turnover is incredibly high so I guess they don't.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
hoping to get fired? I don't think you have followed this thread!

Perhaps you haven't been following the thread. What in this thread indicates to you otherwise? Look at post #1 where she mentions that she wanted to be fired or have quit by April 1st. Look at several of the other posts. Has the OP directly asked her supervisor if there is a problem? Has she asked for feedback on how she can better do her job? It seems there have been several examples of communication coming from the other direction, mentioned in the thread. Communication is a two-way street.

The OP needs to figure out if the job is worth the plusses and benefits or not. If not, her best option may be to move on. She's the only one that can figure that out. Otherwise, just make the best of the current situation, meet the expectations, and strive to do her best to resolve any differences she might have with her supervisor - which appear to be very "personal" in nature, based off the comments here. As I mentioned in a previous post, many times, the things we get frustrated about in the workplace, appear to be nothing when looked at in hindsight.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Perhaps you haven't been following the thread. What in this thread indicates to you otherwise? Look at post #1 where she mentions that she wanted to be fired or have quit by April 1st. Look at several of the other posts. Has the OP directly asked her supervisor if there is a problem? Has she asked for feedback on how she can better do her job? It seems there have been several examples of communication coming from the other direction, mentioned in the thread. Communication is a two-way street.

The OP needs to figure out if the job is worth the plusses and benefits or not. If not, her best option may be to move on. She's the only one that can figure that out. Otherwise, just make the best of the current situation, meet the expectations, and strive to do her best to resolve any differences she might have with her supervisor - which appear to be very "personal" in nature, based off the comments here. As I mentioned in a previous post, many times, the things we get frustrated about in the workplace, appear to be nothing when looked at in hindsight.

Here's the thing- I have got nothing but compliments from the Hatchett Man- IN WRITING- in emails- when I have completed the projects he gave me. He has had no issues with my work! That is the crazy thing. There has been plenty of back and forth between us and with the COO. And with HR. We just had another meeting and I told him and the COO I didn't want to continue to rehash everything- though the Hatchett Man still got defensive in that meeting. I told them I just want to do my job and hopefully everything will be ok going forward.

I was fine with him being supervisor when I found out initially- though I thought it bizarre-until he attacked me on day one and started to harass me for no good reason that was evident. He was mad because I got annoyed about something in front of two coworkers with him there. That is what he wrote me up for. And because I was a bit resistant to a project that he wanted competed in an unrealistic time frame and that I felt could be done in another more efficient manner- he didn't like that. I still did the project HIS WAY, and I got it done on time, but I questioned him on it and made suggestions for alternatives- heaven forbid.

I am ok with just moving back my "quit" date and trying to make this work. My resignation is written up already just in case. Since my HR conversation he has been much more civil and careful when speaking with me. I am always pleasant in dealing with him. If things stay normal I will stay. I am trying hard because my husband's employer is also making a lot of changes and it would be bad for both of us to be out of work at this stage of the game. But- if things get worse, than I will have to get out if they don't fire me first. I will not get physically ill or into a deep depression over it.

In fact, he just gave me something to bring to a doctor halfway across the county, which is going to disrupt my whole afternoon. I, of course, said no problem- I will get it there. I asked for a confirmation of which office the doc would be at, as he has a couple of locations, and he said to me "you know- the one that I got thrown out of!".

You can't make this stuff up.....o_O

Addition: I ask him if he knows how long the doctors' office is opened today. He tells me they are opened late. I think to myself that seems odd for a Friday for this group. So I call the office and they tell me they are closing in 15 minutes! No way can I make it there in that time.

So there you have it- this is what I am dealing with....

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Mary Ann, I had a thought for you. What if this guy is being put in a position of visibility to finally foul up big and be fired?? Perhaps he is the target and not you, but he doesn't know it.

I guess I was thinking of past jerks I've worked for and with, how some places demanded there be highly visible "issues" so the optics for the larger employee audience would make his firing seem obviously justifiable. Some HRs are embarrassingly weak in this at-will state. Other times I got to be at the decision table where it was agreed, "Let him hang himself".

Hang tough, sweetie. Office bs is a great reason to not want to be in the office. Some days I would really like a road job but it is hard to be Always On face of the company. I would always rather hide behind the scenes and quietly do my job.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hang tough, sweetie. Office bs is a great reason to not want to be in the office. Some days I would really like a road job but it is hard to be Always On face of the company. I would always rather hide behind the scenes and quietly do my job.

Couldn't agree more, hated office politics. That's why the last 20 some years I worked I worked for me! Got treated so much better! Can't do that for most jobs though of course.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we have been retired for 2 years, financially I feel that I should work for another 5 to 7 years. Each time I think about bad bosses and colleagues, I keep pushing the thought of going back to work to the back of my mind.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
While we have been retired for 2 years, financially I feel that I should work for another 5 to 7 years. Each time I think about bad bosses and colleagues, I keep pushing the thought of going back to work to the back of my mind.

Yeah, think long and hard! Run the numbers, don't believe the extremists that say you need many millions to retire. That can be true depending on lifestyle or area I suppose, but, usually they go way overboard.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, think long and hard! Run the numbers, don't believe the extremists that say you need many millions to retire. That can be true depending on lifestyle or area I suppose, but, usually they go way overboard.
Our money manager told us that I do not have to go back to work, unless I want to. I am still supporting my adult son, probably for another 3 years or so. He is going back for a second Bachelors degree as he has been unable to find work. He did work for 5 plus years after his first degree. I am thinking that my skills are still marketable and can go back to work.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So- the latest is the boss tells me again they are hiring another marketing rep (supposedly in addition to me) and I ask him what exactly he/she is going to be doing. He doesn't answer but says "he" (the new rep) is going to be looking at all our marketing. Then he catches himself and says - it is a "he" and he is a 1099 and the company only hires 1099 marketing reps. He says he is not sure if he is going to hire him or not. He told me a lot of changes are coming for the facility and to be prepared- he is just letting me know. They only use 1099 marketing reps.

So I do not know if this new guy already works for the compnay (maybe at another facility) or if he would be a new 1099 contract.

I told him the COO mentioned to me about being a 1099 employee back int he Fall when she interviewed me.
I said I noticed I didn't see any marketing reps listed on the other facilities websites- with the exception that there was a Marketing Director listed for 2 PA sites- the same person. He tells me she is also a manager as well- though I saw there is a Director of Operations for both those sites on the web page.

Anyway- there is no way there is enough territory for two reps. But- in the event they offer me a 1099 position- I am not sure I would take it. This is a whole 'nother ball of wax...There's the contract- what will be in it? I assume they have a standard type contract- maybe they would tweak it-who knows?- always benefits the employer. Would have to pay my own taxes- a lot of taxes - otherwise if it didn't save the employer money- why would they do it? Then there is the issue of use of my car and gas, I assume I would have a home office maybe, PTO time, health insurance. If they terminate the contract- no unemployment insurance.

Unlike now- if I do not accept- I could file an unemployment claim.

On the other hand - the one good thing would be the independence- maybe- if there really is any.

BTW- a manager for a large doctor group told me the other day that she told the new CEO of our company how helpful I was and so on. (I had set up a meeting for the new CEO and the idiot boss I have to meet with one of the docs there per his request) Not that this matters in the long run.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most companies that use 1099 contractors, including sales reps, are running foul of the law. To be a true independent contractor, the company cannot tell them what to do, how to do the job and how to manage their time. If audited and found to violate the rules of employees vs. 1099, these companies are fined and have to go back and pay unemployment taxes, workers compensation and make these contractors employees.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-defined

Anyway, back to your post. It is certainly a dilemma whether to not accept the switch and then claim unemployment vs accepting it. Do you know if any of the places that you visit have openings for marketing reps? Those are usually a great avenue to get employment. They already know how good you are, how energized etc and they know who they are hiring as opposed to someone unknown to them who come in for an interview.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Ditto with what VacationForever said. There are many companies that violate the employment and tax laws concerning employee/independent contractors. The company will call the person an independent contractor but then set all sorts of rules, who provides the work space/equipment, hours, etc, etc. To be a true independent contractor the company retains you to accomplish a goal/mission. How, when, where, etc you decide. I have even seen the Federal Government violate the rules regarding independent contractors.