• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Most companies that use 1099 contractors, including sales reps, are running foul of the law. To be a true independent contractor, the company cannot tell them what to do, how to do the job and how to manage their time. If audited and found to violate the rules of employees vs. 1099, these companies are fined and have to go back and pay unemployment taxes, workers compensation and make these contractors employees.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-defined

Anyway, back to your post. It is certainly a dilemma whether to not accept the switch and then claim unemployment vs accepting it. Do you know if any of the places that you visit have openings for marketing reps? Those are usually a great avenue to get employment. They already know how good you are, how energized etc and they know who they are hiring as opposed to someone unknown to them who come in for an interview.

Yes- right, I know. As for our clients- no- no need for marketing reps. These are doctors offices- they barely can pay for their staff as it is. The larger groups don't even have them- except one ginormous one here that doesn't allow marketing reps in to see their docs- they keep everything internal- and I would never work for them as they have a bad repudiation with employees and patients.

The other thing- knowing what I know after being in the health care industry all these years- I would never work for a doctors' office. In fact- I have always said this will be my last job. At least my last full time job.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Maybe it's not just your company? I work for a hospital system that recently went through a major restructuring and software upgrade. They hired many new positions in the process. They also brought on many contracted temporary positions. The contractors knew their positions would be eliminated at some point.

About two months ago they pulled the plug on all those temporary positions, and also eliminated a number of the staff positions they'd hired for, in an attempt to streamline the company. Two other hospital systems around here have already done, or are in process of doing similar things. Huge reductions in force, centralizing positions, and hiring contracted people to fulfill specific projects. It's a lot of stress all over. I'm glad I can see the light at the end of my own employment tunnel. (Come on, Summer 2019!)

I feel your pain, Mary Ann, and understand the stress of not knowing what the bottom line will be with your employer. I know you have a long term goal of retiring on your own terms. I hope you can hang on to things the way you want them to be, until it's time to say goodbye to them. Good luck!

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the future, I feel more & more companies will hire more temporary employees and independent contractor employees to avoid paying benefits liked sick & annual leaves and pension.
These employees will also not be eligible to participate in the company hospitalization plan, the company insurance plan, the company stock plan and they will not eligible to participate in the company family leave plan. This is the end of my rant.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the future, I feel more & more companies will hire more temporary employees and independent contractor employees to avoid paying benefits liked sick & annual leaves and pension.
These employees will also not be eligible to participate in the company hospitalization plan, the company insurance plan, the company stock plan and they will not eligible to participate in the company family leave plan. This is the end of my rant.

They will only be able to hire temporary employees if people allow them to. If no one qualified applies then they would have to go in a different direction.

Its possible in 2018 that full time employees can be more of a burden then an asset.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Couldn't agree more, hated office politics. That's why the last 20 some years I worked I worked for me! Got treated so much better! Can't do that for most jobs though of course.

We had a Worldmark update in Palm Springs on Tuesday. For some reason salesperson thought I should be interested in the guy from Hilton that is now in charge of Wyndham. First and foremost we are Worldmark and Wyndham is a dirty word in our book, but I left the corporate world thirty years ago and had no interest then in who was top dog. Finally told her we had no interest in him or in Wyndham's new name, and by the way we are now 1.75 hours in to our "guaranteed" one hour update so let's wrap it up.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We had a Worldmark update in Palm Springs on Tuesday. For some reason salesperson thought I should be interested in the guy from Hilton that is now in charge of Wyndham. First and foremost we are Worldmark and Wyndham is a dirty word in our book, but I left the corporate world thirty years ago and had no interest then in who was top dog. Finally told her we had no interest in him or in Wyndham's new name, and by the way we are now 1.75 hours in to our "guaranteed" one hour update so let's wrap it up.

Faith, is this in the right forum? Seems like it doesn't fit the discussion?

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Exactly what my former employer did for many years- only part-time and per diem workers as new hires- at lower wages. The problem is that they never lasted and never really got to really know the jobs- which actually were very involved and complicated. Made a lot of mistakes and so forth.

We have so many employees working there that I don't even know who they all are anymore. The new boss did make a few of them full timers now to have some consistency at the front desk- duh!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
They will only be able to hire temporary employees if people allow them to. If no one qualified applies then they would have to go in a different direction.

Its possible in 2018 that full time employees can be more of a burden then an asset.

I do think in the next 10 years, most- or at least a lot- of jobs are going to be eliminated. It's a new dawn. Get the young ones prepared!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maybe it's not just your company? I work for a hospital system that recently went through a major restructuring and software upgrade. They hired many new positions in the process. They also brought on many contracted temporary positions. The contractors knew their positions would be eliminated at some point.

About two months ago they pulled the plug on all those temporary positions, and also eliminated a number of the staff positions they'd hired for, in an attempt to streamline the company. Two other hospital systems around here have already done, or are in process of doing similar things. Huge reductions in force, centralizing positions, and hiring contracted people to fulfill specific projects. It's a lot of stress all over. I'm glad I can see the light at the end of my own employment tunnel. (Come on, Summer 2019!)

I feel your pain, Mary Ann, and understand the stress of not knowing what the bottom line will be with your employer. I know you have a long term goal of retiring on your own terms. I hope you can hang on to things the way you want them to be, until it's time to say goodbye to them. Good luck!

Dave

Thanks, Dave. You get the health care industry. So much going on. We are also semi-affiliated with a hospital which just became affiliated with yet another NYC hospital- a change from another one.. It's so crazy! You can't keep up.

I think at some point down the line- a few years from now- things might go back to the way they were before all this merging crap. Something definitely has to change in health care in this country for sure.

I had 3 more years to work to age 65, but that is not going to happen it looks like. Heck- it doesn't look like I will make it to my 62nd birthday THIS June! I am just going to go with the flow at this point.

Looks like my choice will soon be "Independent" Contractor or Unemployment. I wonder if I choose the latter if they will offer severence and at least payment of my PTO time- which I haven't used any so far this year.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Dave. You get the health care industry. So much going on. We are also semi-affiliated with a hospital which just became affiliated with yet another NYC hospital- a change from another one.. It's so crazy! You can't keep up.

I think at some point down the line- a few years from now- things might go back to the way they were before all this merging crap. Something definitely has to change in health care in this country for sure.

I had 3 more years to work to age 65, but that is not going to happen it looks like. Heck- it doesn't look like I will make it to my 62nd birthday THIS June! I am just going to go with the flow at this point.

Looks like my choice will soon be "Independent" Contractor or Unemployment. I wonder if I choose the latter if they will offer severence and at least payment of my PTO time- which I haven't used any so far this year.

Well, to play devil's advocate - would being a contractor be "that" bad? I don't know the details, obviously, but could you make it fit your life?

In the case of my hospital, the changes over the last ten years are so dramatic, it's almost like working for a different organization. Some of the changes are great. Others, not so much. :)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, to play devil's advocate - would being a contractor be "that" bad? I don't know the details, obviously, but could you make it fit your life?

In the case of my hospital, the changes over the last ten years are so dramatic, it's almost like working for a different organization. Some of the changes are great. Others, not so much. :)

Dave

I am not sure. It would depend on how the contract is written.

The worst for me would be the payment of all the taxes- they would have to pay me a lot more money to make up for the taxes they aren't paying. All the record keeping and such.

And- how independent would I be? And- then there is the question of this other person doing the same job which makes no sense.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am not sure. It would depend on how the contract is written.

The worst for me would be the payment of all the taxes- they would have to pay me a lot more money to make up for the taxes they aren't paying. All the record keeping and such.

And- how independent would I be? And- then there is the question of this other person doing the same job which makes no sense.

Lots of unanswered questions. Is there anyone there in a similar position now who is contracted and who would give you candid answers? You might be able to get a head start on the pros and cons.

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
[Nevermind.]

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most companies that use 1099 contractors, including sales reps, are running foul of the law. To be a true independent contractor, the company cannot tell them what to do, how to do the job and how to manage their time. If audited and found to violate the rules of employees vs. 1099, these companies are fined and have to go back and pay unemployment taxes, workers compensation and make these contractors employees.

As a 1099 contractor for 30 years or so, this is spot on. Most places I worked mostly were compliant, so, if I wanted to work starting at 4pm, I could as an example, but some did not.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out a couple of red flags in your original post:

1. Finally got to a point where I could coast a little bit.

This is not a good statement for an employee of any age. You should be giving 100% everyday no matter what your age.

2. he blocks me from our friendship on Facebook.

Really? Why would you even care about this? I hope you didn’t share how unhappy you are with your job on Facebook. And, you seem chatty with people here that you don’t really know so I hope you didn’t mention the Timeshare User Group Lounge to him or any other co-workers. This lengthy thread would be good for the company, but not for you.

3. he has his “pets”

Managers usually have a trusted right hand person. Not a pet.

4. I get annoyed with him- he writes me up immediately.

Don’t show annoyance and he won’t write you up.

5. I demanded the contact info for the human resource person and spoke to her at length about age discrimination and harassment and also about this man's past

This man’s past? Really?

6. I want to be out by April 1st one way or another. Or at least give notice by then or get fired by then.

It’s April 14 - Sounds like you still have a job. Just talk?

You need to put your head down and do the job you are asked to do or quit. I’m a 60 year old woman and I don’t get your attitude of coasting on the job. You need to stop being the squeaky wheel and just do the work. It’s simple.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
As a 1099 contractor for 30 years or so, this is spot on. Most places I worked mostly were compliant, so, if I wanted to work starting at 4pm, I could as an example, but some did not.

I was a salaried W-2 employee that was offered early retirement with a generous compensation “package”. I was used to working 60 hour weeks in cubicle land. I accepted.

A year later they called me back and offered a 1099 contract to transition a system I had specific knowledge of, the client asked for me. I took the offer with the stipulation I would work from home and only go in the office for client-facing meetings, 40 hrs per week. I enjoyed it, shut off my computer and didn’t respond to emails or phone calls after 4:30pm. It was a year contract and I completed it, best year working for them. I made them pay me 20% more than my salary to cover SE taxes. There wasn’t much record keeping necessary, just a Sched C on my taxes with some mileage for meetings, home office, and a few supplies. It was nice to add an extra high income year to my SS average.

I felt the same as op the last few years but I kept quiet and stuck it out while others left in a blaze of glory burning bridges. None of them were called back as 1099.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Lots of unanswered questions. Is there anyone there in a similar position now who is contracted and who would give you candid answers? You might be able to get a head start on the pros and cons.

Dave

Nope- I'm it here at this facility. The rest of the staff is either front desk, administrative support or radiology techs or doctors. I'm going to make a list of pros and cons and just get ready so I know what I'm doing in the event it is offered- provided I am not fired.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would like to point out a couple of red flags in your original post:

1. Finally got to a point where I could coast a little bit.

This is not a good statement for an employee of any age. You should be giving 100% everyday no matter what your age.

2. he blocks me from our friendship on Facebook.

Really? Why would you even care about this? I hope you didn’t share how unhappy you are with your job on Facebook. And, you seem chatty with people here that you don’t really know so I hope you didn’t mention the Timeshare User Group Lounge to him or any other co-workers. This lengthy thread would be good for the company, but not for you.

3. he has his “pets”

Managers usually have a trusted right hand person. Not a pet.

4. I get annoyed with him- he writes me up immediately.

Don’t show annoyance and he won’t write you up.

5. I demanded the contact info for the human resource person and spoke to her at length about age discrimination and harassment and also about this man's past

This man’s past? Really?

6. I want to be out by April 1st one way or another. Or at least give notice by then or get fired by then.

It’s April 14 - Sounds like you still have a job. Just talk?

You need to put your head down and do the job you are asked to do or quit. I’m a 60 year old woman and I don’t get your attitude of coasting on the job. You need to stop being the squeaky wheel and just do the work. It’s simple.

I don't think you really are understanding the entire picture, but if you think you are- well than- ok. Appreciate your input.

When I used the word "coast"- I meant not having to deal with extreme stress or harassment or BS frankly. I do my best every day. I am no slug. If I didn't I would have been gone long ago. Just because I don't want to be abused and jump through hoops like in a dog and pony show doesn't mean I don't care about doing a decent job. I am no robot.

Yes- I am "chatty"- that is what I do for a living. No keeping my head down in this job. I have to look up- at people- in the eye every single day and open my mouth and always be happy- whether I really am or not. And talk, talk, talk and listen, listen, listen. One thing about me that can hurt me is that I am an open book- so I always have to work on that and catch myself. Very hard when you are an honest person and not secretive. I'm flawed- what can I say?

One thing- I am brave and not afraid of my own shadow like some people might be. Don't like the idea of losing a salary but love the idea of not working in these kinds of environments. If you like keeping your head down every single day of your life and working the assembly line - great! Not me! I need freedom and truth and honestly and respect with the people I work for and with.

By posting some of this I was trying to set the background/timeline of the events that lead to this unfortunate situation. And- by having a quit date it helped me to cope with what was going on- if things did not improve - kind of a mental game with myself- a way out. But after standing up for myself, things DID get better- at least for now. So I didn't quit- just moved the date back a few times as long as I can work without being bullied, I stay. If they let me go- so be it. And yes- the man's past work- with me- on the same job- including him getting thrown out of one of our doctor client's offices- is definitely relevant as far as I am concerned.

Fact is- this was all going to happen- the 1099 thing or the firing- no matter what I did or said. I knew this back in the Fall- just didn't expect this 'treatment" by the newly appointed boss, though I thought something was up when- during the holidays at the end of the year- before he officially became the boss- he hugged me and said to me- "have a nice life". This stuck with me as I thought it an odd thing to say.

As far as being annoyed- yes- I learned that lesson and will go outside and scream if I have to- but actually now I don't have to -I just laugh to myself and accept it. I keep smiling.

And as for his "pet"- I get it. It is just that he tossed a woman who was loyal to the company for 14 years for this younger person who was just there 2 years or so- a very good and smart person- don't get me wrong.

The Facebook thing- well he told me all these years I was the only person in the company he ever friended on FB- then he becomes director and immediately blocks me- not just unfriends me- but BLOCKS me. Very telling. I get he is the boss and might not want to associate with any employees on FB- but that was extreme- the blocking part. And- considering he is hiring people from the same family as his right hand person- that she is going to be overseeing- says something about him. In most companies this is a "no no".

I don't mention anything to him of a personal nature now that I am in this situation. In terms of my coworkers- I keep everything fairly vague.

I am confident in myself- just surprised at how this all was handled. But I suppose I shouldn't be in this dog eat dog work world.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The Facebook thing- well he told me all these years I was the only person in the company he ever friended on FB- then he becomes director and immediately blocks me- not just unfriends me- but BLOCKS me. Very telling. I get he is the boss and might not want to associate with any employees on FB- but that was extreme- the blocking part. And- considering he is hiring people from the same family as his right hand person- that she is going to be overseeing- says something about him. In most companies this is a "no no".

I don't mention anything to him of a personal nature now that I am in this situation. In terms of my coworkers- I keep everything fairly vague.

Had a similar thing at my employer. Someone who was a good friend to a lot of "average" employees and coworkers was promoted into a position as their Manager. (It wasn't politics - she applied for the new position, and was the right selectee.) She is a very nice person and is still a friend to me, both on and offline. We work in different areas of the same department. But anyone who was her FB friend that she now directly supervises was blocked. She said it was easier for them to not have to worry what they were posting, and it made things easier all the way around. We both agree posting work-related things on FB is never a good idea anyway. I make the joke that FB is only good for posting pictures of my pets, recipes and cat videos.

Thing is, word gets around, and even if you were blocked from seeing things they post, chances are you are both FB friends with someone who can see those posts. Replies and such the mutual person makes may show up for you anyway. :shrug:

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Had a similar thing at my employer. Someone who was a good friend to a lot of "average" employees and coworkers was promoted into a position as their Manager. (It wasn't politics - she applied for the new position, and was the right selectee.) She is a very nice person and is still a friend to me, both on and offline. We work in different areas of the same department. But anyone who was her FB friend that she now directly supervises was blocked. She said it was easier for them to not have to worry what they were posting, and it made things easier all the way around. We both agree posting work-related things on FB is never a good idea anyway. I make the joke that FB is only good for posting pictures of my pets, recipes and cat videos.

Thing is, word gets around, and even if you were blocked from seeing things they post, chances are you are both FB friends with someone who can see those posts. Replies and such the mutual person makes may show up for you anyway. :shrug:

Dave

Oh- yes for sure. I do not post anything our mutual friends could relay to him- just vague posts one would have to make assumptions on. I kind of post generalization type memes and such. Sure- they can be taken as implicating my own job or just everyone's jobs in general.

Anyway- I unfriended some of the mutual friends and the ones related to them. And- I definitely blocked him as well. LOL!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh- yes for sure. I do not post anything our mutual friends could relay to him- just vague posts one would have to make assumptions on. I kind of post generalization type memes and such. Sure- they can be taken as implicating my own job or just everyone's jobs in general.

Anyway- I unfriended some of the mutual friends and the ones related to them. And- I definitely blocked him as well. LOL!

I have a coworker and friend who is a lot less discreet. If he gets into any kind of "situation" at work, whether it's an argument, a task assignment, or anything that he doesn't think is right, I can just about guarantee there will be some sort of passive-aggressive snide comment or meme posted that day (sometime within minutes) on his Facebook page. His comments are obscure enough that all his friends rush to ask what had happened, or did his Manager try to screw him over again, and such. Sometimes he explains his snarky comments, and sometimes he blows it off, saying they wouldn't understand because they don't work where he does. (Drives me crazy when he does that!) But it always results in somebody saying he's the poor victim, and they don't understand how good a worker he is, and so forth. That kind of pity party stuff drives me up the wall.

He tends to be a contrarian anyway, and thinks everything that he disagrees with is a conspiracy to somehow "do him wrong." I've told him many times he needs to stop doing that sort of thing, and he defends it, saying, "It's my Facebook page, I'll post what I want." I just shrug and say, "Ok, whatever. It's your future." I'm honestly surprised he still works there. In the back of my head I'm telling myself to stay back and don't get sucked into his stuff. (Coincidentally, he works for the Manager I mentioned previously. That may be part of the FB blocking she did.)

Definitely one of those "Not my circus, not my monkeys" kind of thing. :)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I want to jump in here and clarify one thing for everyone reading here. Managers must not be friends with any subordinate on social media. There is whole legal thing around it. It is nothing personal. As managers, this is drummed into everyone's head that it is a REALLY BAD IDEA to read anything on a subordinate's post and inadvertently use it to cause any sort of bias or use it as evidence against the staff.

You can google it. I just randomly pick one article for you to read:
https://maximizesocialbusiness.com/...lace-5-reasons-to-not-friend-co-workers-9348/

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Managers must be friends with any subordinate on social media. There is whole legal thing around it. It is nothing personal.

I think you meant to type "must NOT be friends" ?

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have a coworker and friend who is a lot less discreet. If he gets into any kind of "situation" at work, whether it's an argument, a task assignment, or anything that he doesn't think is right, I can just about guarantee there will be some sort of passive-aggressive snide comment or meme posted that day (sometime within minutes) on his Facebook page. His comments are obscure enough that all his friends rush to ask what had happened, or did his Manager try to screw him over again, and such. Sometimes he explains his snarky comments, and sometimes he blows it off, saying they wouldn't understand because they don't work where he does. (Drives me crazy when he does that!) But it always results in somebody saying he's the poor victim, and they don't understand how good a worker he is, and so forth. That kind of pity party stuff drives me up the wall.

He tends to be a contrarian anyway, and thinks everything that he disagrees with is a conspiracy to somehow "do him wrong." I've told him many times he needs to stop doing that sort of thing, and he defends it, saying, "It's my Facebook page, I'll post what I want." I just shrug and say, "Ok, whatever. It's your future." I'm honestly surprised he still works there. In the back of my head I'm telling myself to stay back and don't get sucked into his stuff. (Coincidentally, he works for the Manager I mentioned previously. That may be part of the FB blocking she did.)

Definitely one of those "Not my circus, not my monkeys" kind of thing. :)

Dave

Yes- I get it. My parents always said I was contrarian when I was younger! I guess I just don't fit the standard mold.

I must admit I have been guilty of that on occasion as well. But- I am so past it all now. My main focus is to deal with what comes next- what is best for me at this stage of my life. It might be becoming a 1099 contractor, though my gut tells me "no"; it might be getting fired or resigning. No matter-it's all good. I am keeping a positive outlook and whatever happens happens. I am determined to be happy no matter what. I have no control over it anyway.

Heck- I just want to go on vacation!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I want to jump in here and clarify one thing for everyone reading here. Managers must be friends with any subordinate on social media. There is whole legal thing around it. It is nothing personal. As managers, this is drummed into everyone's head that it is a REALLY BAD IDEA to read anything on a subordinate's post and inadvertently use it to cause any sort of bias or use it as evidence against the staff.

You can google it. I just randomly pick one article for you to read:
https://maximizesocialbusiness.com/...lace-5-reasons-to-not-friend-co-workers-9348/

Agree. Though our last director was friends with several employees on FB and still is.