• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Acapulco excursions

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
We're going to Acapulco in March and are looking for things outside the resort to do. We plan on hitting the market, some local restaurants and maybe check out some good live music.

We are interested in a visiting local fishing village and dining on fresh caught fish,visiting the Bread factory, taking, or at least watching a cooking class and visiting Taxco and maybe Laguna De Tres Palos. We also would like to hit the water in some way, either via a boat trip, a sailing trip, or just a short trip to an island. Obviously, we won't get to do all of this, but I compile/she decides.
Any other suggestions of cool or adventurous side trips would be appreciated.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Find a good taxi driver who will do personal excursions! You need to have someone you can count on to watch out for you.

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Find a good taxi driver who will do personal excursions! You need to have someone you can count on to watch out for you.
Thanks, I've already written down the name of the person you used. On Trip Advisor, there are many posts with driver recommendations. This seems crucial here more than in other places.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Yes - it is!

The bellmen at Mayan World are good resources as is Trip Adviser are good. People that go to more than Mayan World use these also.

In Acapulco, the taxi union is very strong. That is why you do not get free transportation to the resort.

Sometimes, the drivers are basically assigned to a specific resort - once when we went there, our favorite driver had recently been assigned to Crowne Plaza. Since we have not been there since 2011, I am not sure where he is. Even when he was at Crowne Plaza, he picked us up at the airport and for our return trip there.

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’ve been here since Sunday! We’re staying at the MP Playa on the 11th floor ocean view. This is our first Vidanta visit outside of RM and although it’s not as gigantic and well appointed as RM, it has its charms. It seemed much smaller on the internet which is exactly the opposite of how most things seem bigger in the photos than in real life. (cruise ship rooms). The beach here at Diamanté is sweet, it’s wide and affords lots of room to play in the surf, and go 4wheeling.

Acapulco is nothing like we expected. We were prepared for a downtrodden broken down city full of beggars selling crappy trinkets and rotting meat on a stick. What we encountered was a vibrant place with friendly people and breath taking views. Every place in which we ate had good food and friendly people. Our driver Juan Carlos #31 is really great! He took us on a very informative personal city tour, he took us to some very charming restaurants and some beautiful vistas! We went on the Xtasea Zip line from Las Brisas over the Marques bay! We’re here for 8 days and we’re just beginning! Will check back later!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Do they have "cement ponds" and "fancy eatin tables" like the rich folks?

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We got the rich folk bracelets so we get every Cement Pond and fancy eating table in the place! We were in a studio the first night. Then we’re upgraded to a 1Br.

One observation, the MP should at least be better appointed than the average up-level hotel room. Its the little things like the lack of a wall mounted mirror, a better selection of lamps, better/ larger TVs and maybe a color scheme for the walls which are all white. Who pays attention to such trappings? Well we do! Especially when there’s no over the top Luxxe amenities to “ooh and ahh” over. That master room reminds me of crew quarters on a cruise ship!
There isn’t much on the negative side, it’s still nice, but one would expect even the lowest level at a resort like this to surpass the average Hilton Hotel room.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
In my opinion, the beach and Palapas at the Acapulco MP/GM are the best! It is our favorite Vidanta beach. I'm glad you are enjoying Acapulco and found a good taxi driver. We have not stayed in the MP Playa yet, but have thought about exchanging in. I have friends who think MP is totally awesome, they have never stayed in GM, GB, or GL :). When you have 2 or 3 kiddos with you, you are delighted to have a 2-bedroom MP unit instead of a hotel room! We have sent them to the MP in PP several times with special deals - they love the beach and the space.

Enjoy your time!

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our last night here! Yes the beach is fabulous. we rented a four wheel ATV and drove up and down the beach, we watched the sunset, we walked long romantic night walks!
The thing we noticed was the lack of Americans as compared to The Cancun/ Playa Del Carman/ Cozumel area. This was fine with us as it gave us a different feel and vibe as compared to more touristy places.

The people were all friendly and a lot of the Mexican women wanted to touch my wife’s locked hair. Lol
It’s close to the holiday and there’s lots of people here, mostly families on holiday from Mexico City.
It’s a smaller resort than the big RM and NV but the size was perfect for our romantic getaway.

Acapulco is a wonderful city.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Our last night here! Yes the beach is fabulous. ..
The thing we noticed was the lack of Americans as compared to The Cancun/ Playa Del Carman/ Cozumel area. This was fine with us as it gave us a different feel and vibe as compared to more touristy places.

The people were all friendly and a lot of the Mexican women wanted to touch my wife’s locked hair. Lol
It’s close to the holiday and there’s lots of people here, mostly families on holiday from Mexico City.
It’s a smaller resort than the big RM and NV but the size was perfect for our romantic getaway.

Acapulco is a wonderful city.

Dear Zinjanthropus,
Thanks you for this thread . We have not yet visited Acapulco , and your posts inspired me to (again) use google street view to explore .

When we go one day ; I would like to see the Diego Garcia sculpture /murals on the Delores Olmeda home , that is overlooks the bay .

Acapulco does look wonderful.

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Diego Rivera Murals, yes they were nice! Don’t know why but I was expecting frescoes since we have some gigantic frescoes in our Detroit Institute of Arts, but they’re beautiful murals.

The new Vidanta construction is up to the second to last floor and it is going to be a Grand Luxxe building with different GL levels on different floors and pool on top. I was surprised at how many buildings were owned by Vidanta... Mayan Island.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Mayan Island is the name for the full ownership condos.