• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Adding to Diamond Resorts - Hawaii Collection points

DRIless

Reaction score
Diamond Xchange program isn't as flexible as THE Club. You trade one week for another week at different resort with a unit in the same tier. You can pay more to get a unit in a higher tier. THE Club lets you stay any number of days at any resort and any view category.
Thanks, I do understand how it works with full weeks and tiers and I own deeded weeks but they're all in THE Club; and as a Charter member of Club Sunterra, I know the ins and outs of THE Club.

I'd think they would require you to do an update as a way to convince you to convert? Do they?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Thanks, I do understand how it works with full weeks and tiers and I own deeded weeks but they're all in THE Club; and as a Charter member of Club Sunterra, I know the ins and outs of THE Club.

I'd think they would require you to do an update as a way to convince you to convert? Do they?

I'm not sure what you mean by convert. I own a deeded week in THE Club, and 2 out of THE Club. They've tried to sell me more points so I could put the 2 weeks into THE Club, but they've never tried to do anything with the one that's already in THE Club. At times I've been tempted to cancel THE Club membership and just use the weeks. For now, we always use our 2 weeks at our home resort (Point at Poipu), and use our Club points for several other locations.

DRIless

Reaction score
Convert the deeded weeks to THE Club membership, means to me, pledging my deeded week(s) and receiving points every year. I did not give up deeded week ownership or deeded week maintenance fees. That's how I got my original points membership.

I'm not sure what you mean by convert. I own a deeded week in THE Club, and 2 out of THE Club. They've tried to sell me more points so I could put the 2 weeks into THE Club, but they've never tried to do anything with the one that's already in THE Club. At times I've been tempted to cancel THE Club membership and just use the weeks. For now, we always use our 2 weeks at our home resort (Point at Poipu), and use our Club points for several other locations.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Convert the deeded weeks to THE Club membership, means to me, pledging my deeded week(s) and receiving points every year. I did not give up deeded week ownership or deeded week maintenance fees. That's how I got my original points membership.

Diamond calls this an "assigned deed." Assignment is a legal concept whereby a person transfers rights or benefits to another, without transferring the burdens or obligations. In this case, the deed owner transfers the deed's use right to The Club, but retains the obligation to pay the annual fees. The right or benefit being assigned may be a gift or paid for with a contractual consideration such as money. For a DRI assigned deed the use rights are paid for with points in the Club.

In Diamond's case I'm not sure whether the assignment is made to The Club or to an appropriate Collection. Since The Club fees are different for an assigned deed and trust fund points, it might be assigned to the Club. On the other hand, an assigned deed gets the 13 month Home Collection Priority, which suggests it is assigned to the Collection.

DRIless

Reaction score
Diamond calls this an "assigned deed." Assignment is a legal concept whereby a person transfers rights or benefits to another, without transferring the burdens or obligations. In this case, the deed owner transfers the deed's use right to The Club, but retains the obligation to pay the annual fees. The right or benefit being assigned may be a gift or paid for with a contractual consideration such as money. For a DRI assigned deed the use rights are paid for with points in the Club.

In Diamond's case I'm not sure whether the assignment is made to The Club or to an appropriate Collection. Since The Club fees are different for an assigned deed and trust fund points, it might be assigned to the Club. On the other hand, an assigned deed gets the 13 month Home Collection Priority, which suggests it is assigned to the Collection.
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TUG, thanks for your verbiage. My deeds are not assigned to a collection, I get 13-month priority only at my deeded resorts and limited to the points associated with that resort. I pay a Club Fee and maintenance fees are the fees for the deeded week, about half of what they would be if it were points in a collection because the deeded weeks are holiday weeks at max point value. My last "update" they tried to scare me into converting to a Trust telling me that the resorts that I own (Powhatan, Greensprings, CPGV) might not stay in THE Club and then where would I be. I looked him in the eye an said, "you're really trying to tell me that those three resorts have a chance in hell of not being in THE Club and I should DOUBLE (yes, 2X) my maintenance fee now on that chance in hell?" After that they sent in some kid with a man-bun to try to sell me some sort of program that gave 52 weeks of I.I. excess inventory/bonus weeks per year for like $99/week and he told me I could sell them!!!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
The booking window for assigned deeds may vary by resort. I can only book 12 months out using our assigned deed at the Point at Poipu. I believe there's a separate pool of units available only to owners with assigned deeds, so members in the Hawaii Collection can't grab all the units at 13 months out.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The booking window for assigned deeds may vary by resort. I can only book 12 months out using our assigned deed at the Point at Poipu. I believe there's a separate pool of units available only to owners with assigned deeds, so members in the Hawaii Collection can't grab all the units at 13 months out.
Exactly but if you didn't book your week before 10 months, I think that your week is moved automatically to the THE Club and everybody in THE Club can book it.
I suspect that is the case because during Jan to Mid-March all weeks at KBC are normally booked at 13 months in the Hawaii Collection and some years I see new availability appear at 10 months. I think that those weeks are deeded weeks assigned to THE Club that were not booked by deeded owners.

DRIless

Reaction score
Exactly but if you didn't book your week before 10 months, I think that your week is moved automatically to the THE Club and everybody in THE Club can book it.
I suspect that is the case because during Jan to Mid-March all weeks at KBC are normally booked at 13 months in the Hawaii Collection and some years I see new availability appear at 10 months. I think that those weeks are deeded weeks assigned to THE Club that were not booked by deeded owners.
Exactly, there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes and you would hope that DRI would do the right thing. They don't always. As an example of that, at my home resort last summer where summer is THE SEASON, it was patently obvious that at exactly two months out (when discount points kicks in) DRI took all the inventory for rentals, all of it. This summer I did not notice the complete switch of inventory.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the text from the Membership Directory. As is so often typical of Diamond Resorts, the text is about as clear as mud.

"6.2 Members with Home Resort Priority

"Some members also have Home Resort Priority. This means that when they purchased Collection points, they owned a fixed or floating week at a resort (their home resort). These members can confirm a reservation at their home resort 12 months prior to arrival.

"If these members do not confirm a reservation at their home resort 10 months prior to their check-in date, the assigned week is made available to other members of The Club. These members also have the option to book at any time from 13 months prior to their planned arrival date into their Home Collection, and then at 10 months at any other resort in The Club portfolio, (i.e. across all the Collection and at affiliates resorts.)"

[page 7]

chaparrusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village at bonaventure , sheraton vistana orlando ,
Diamond had 4 types of ownerships. 1) The most basic one is ownership of a deeded week at a specific resort without membership in the Club. 2) The Club is like an exchange program within Diamond resorts. If you join the Club and add your deeded week to the Club, Diamond give you points for that week and you can use the points to book at any resort that is also in the Club. 3) You can buy points from Diamond. The point are part of a trust or collection of a limited number of resorts. The trust owns the deeded weeks at those resorts, and you can use your points to book any resort in the collection. When you buy points from Diamond, it includes membership in the Club, so you can also use the points to book Diamond resorts outside the collection. 4) If you sell your points, the Club membership is not transferable. The buyer will only be able to use the points to book resorts within the trust's collection. Resale points are also called dirty points because you can't use them outside the collection. You can negotiate with Diamond to put the points into the Club so you can use them anywhere, but that usually requires buying more points from Diamond at their highly inflated prices. Owner's of points find them difficult to sell because the Club membership is not transferable, and because the overhead of managing the trust's collection makes the maintenance fees unusually high.

The more points you have in the Club (not counting dirty points), the higher the tier level, silver, gold, platinum, etc. There are more perks as the tier levels get higher, but Diamond can change the level thresholds and number of perks whenever they want. Confused? They want you to be confused. It's easier to talk you into buying more points. They don't sell deeded weeks anymore, but you can buy them on the resale market. If you find a Diamond property you like and you plan to go there every year, deeded weeks are the best way to go. You can also exchange deeded weeks through RCI or Interval International and deeded weeks are easier to sell. Points do have the advantage of flexibility. It's easy to book any number of days, sometimes on short notice, and there's a large variety of resorts.
you couldn't explain it better