• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice for Kauai / Princeville

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning a trip to Kauai. Planning to stay in Princeville in May (hoping that is relatively less rainy) and looking for things to do and eat.

I noticed there's pretty much one road around the island. Google suggested it might take 3+ hours to roll around to the Waimea Canyon area from Princeville. Is that normal? Should I try to find a re-trade closer toward the airport area?

I'm interested in the hiking and food suggestions especially. I know the Na Pali coast sailings are highly recommended (I saw the pictures in another thread), so that is on the list. Pretty sure I'm too late in the year for whale chasing.

What do you all like to do and eat there? Any concerns or things to watch out for (I've been reading the threads on the roads that got washed out last year - not clear if it used to loop the island completely or just limit some access near Hanalei)?

Thanks.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
Based on your desire to see the canyon and take a boat ride which most likely departs from Port Allen on the south shore, you might want to think about searching for a more centrally located timeshare on the east side of Kauai or even Poipu area (south). Traffic is slow on Kauai. Assuming the three hours includes getting all the way to the top of Waimea cannyon it might be a reasonable planning number; considering traffic I expect it to be well over two hours.
There has never been a road that loops all the way around Kauai. With the 2018 storm damage, the road for tourists effectively ends at Hanalei. There might be a shuttle van that goes further but I don’t believe it is in operation yet and personally would not plan of using it until after it was in operation (i.e. I don’t give forecasts of service dates any credibility).
Jack

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
First Congratulations. Have a great time. Kaua'i never had a road that went all the way around. Do not know what you like to do. Down south you have Waimea Canyon. To do this properly is about a day. Take a picnic lunch. Drive to the top. Resist the turn outs. Drive as far as you can and then hike past the top parking a bit. There are several View Points up there. Have your picnic lunch in the Park at the top. Then stop at all or most of the View Points on your way down. There is the Kauai Coffee Planation. There is zip lining in Koloa. There is an inner tube float down the old sugar cane canals in Lihue. There is Poipu Beach. There is the Alakai Swamp Trail. There are Cruises out of Hanalei Bay to the Napali Cliffs and snorkeling. There is the Spouting Horn. There is the Mala'ulepu Trail that starts on the top of the Cliffs just north of Shipwreck's Beach. There is the Makauwahi Cave. Almost forgot about the light house - a National Park. Also a bird nesting area.

Luau: some of the large Hotels have Luau. The two I would recommend are Kilohana just outside of Lihue or Smith Family by Kapa'a. Kilohana has the more traditional entertainment telling the Polynesian story through song and dance. Smith Family has greater diversity to honor the many people that have emigrated to the Islands. Remember Poi is not a dish by itself but to dip your Pork. There is Anini Beach. The town of Hanalei. The beach at Hanalei. The Road to Ke'e Beach (end of road) is not open. There were major storms last April that caused a lot of damage on the north shore. Kayaking up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. It is about a mile hike to the falls. Sometimes the trail is very muddy. In Lihue there is a Costco. Cheapest gas on the Island by a lot.

Great Fish Tacos at the Food Truck by Hanalei Pier. Some of the best Chili Pepper Chicken is at the Chevron Station in Priceville. Best Loco Moco is at the Food Shack on the side of the Market in Koloa.

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the traffic thru Kapaa is horrendous. One time we were going to Poipu from Princeville and it took 2 1/2 hrs. Due to a wreck. We were some of the lucky ones as they finally opened an old sugarcane road to bypass the wreck scene. The cars in front of us weren't so lucky. We ran into a lady in a restaurant that said that she sat in traffic for 4 hours as she was past the entrance to the sugar cane road. When we stay in Princeville we stay in Princeville area because of Kapaa traffic. Also it rains a lot on the north part of the island.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Geist1223 gives very good advice. We love going in May. Kids are still in school and there’s not as many people. If it’s your first trip, you will be traveling the island a lot anyway so I think you’re fine in Princeville. They weather should be fine there at that time of the year also. You will miss the whales, they are there in the winter. Snorkeling at Anini is great and you should be able to see turtles.

You didn’t say how long you are staying so plan your days if you are staying a week. Don’t try to fit everything in because you won’t be able to and if you try it won’t be fun. Leave some time to relax and get on Island time. :cool:

For some toes in the sand dining go to Lava Lava just south of the Coconut marketplace. They have a nice happy hour there too. You can get great fish tacos at Coconuts in Kapaa. It’s in the strip mall by the Safeway.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last time I investigated there was one Na Pali tour that departed out of Hanalei. If that is still operating, that is the one that you want. More convenient to you if you're in Princeville. Also sailings from Port Allen take about one hour to reach the Na Pali Coast (so you "lose" two hours each trip), whereas the Na Pali coast starts the moment you exit Hanalei Bay.

Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned buying kauai revealed book. I love those books. I'm 65 ok health. Last summer I went with my grandchildren, they are extremely active. We did a kayaking trip to secret falls i loved it. In Pineville there is hideaway beach. Go there for the snorkeling but it's a steep hike so travel lightly. Use a backpack because you'll need your hands for the ropes. The views are beautiful.....again I am 65 and overweight and I did it. Poipu is a wonderful beach crowded but you can surf, snorkel and catch the waves all in the same area. Anini beach is good because there are trees, lots of shade.

It's always good to start out early. We were out the door by 7 each day. Of course those roosters woke me up everyday at 6. The one day I wanted to sleep in that one can rooster kept going on and on right by the window until he heard me get up. Btw don't feed them.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Kauai has always been Patti's favorite Island. When we travel we try 1 day of adventure/traveling around. Then 1 pool/beach day. You do not want to kill yourself trying to do everything on a first trip. Our last 5 or 6 years of working we started making every trip 2 weeks. Now that we have retired many trips are 3 to 4 weeks.

Second the recommendation to get the book Kauai Revealed.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Also in the Pricecille area is Hideaways Beach (decent snorkeling) and Queens Bath. The main issue with Hideaways is access. The two ways to get to it are kayaking from Hanalei or climbing down steep hill/cliff from Princeville. Take all your supplies for the day - water, food, reading material, etc. Also take care of all major toilet needs for the day before you go down.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a friend make her first trip not long ago and here is the list I put together for her

Here are some of our favs:

Beaches:

South

Salt Pond

Lawai beach – we have seen seals here often

There is a small cove in front of Lawai Beach resort, next to beach house restaurant that is great for snorkeling. You will see it on your way to spouting horn

Central

Lyndgate – nice for picnics and little kids swimming/snorkeling

Kealia – Surfers beach…not good for kids but really beautiful. The bike trail runs along here. You can rent bikes in Kapaa and ride the trail I think it is about 3 miles and very easy…wide paved and can’t find better scenery anywhere really fun afternoon

The Beach in front of the Marriott Beach resort…you can park at the shops and walk through…great beach for kids

North

Annini – very shallow for a long way out. Nice picnic area

Hanalei….great beach North shore can get rough in the winter but Hanalei is a little protected.

Tunnels. This is the best snorkeling we have done but I am not sure if the road is open yet past Hanalei and winter again the surf is often too rough. It is adjacent to Haena Beach park…Past this point there is almost never any parking..it goes up to KEE Beach and the start of the Kalalau trail. Kee is where south pacific was filmed and is really beautiful.

The town of Hanalei is great.. We have seen Pierce Bronson and Adam Sandler hanging out in Hanalei. Best shave Ice is Wishing Well

In Waimia Go to JoJos for Shave Ice

So cheap things to do:

Spouting Horn

Waimia Canyon

Koke’e State Park and Puu o kila lookout – you can hike along the ridge of the Napali coast
The Russian Fort..Fort Elizabeth

Take the boat to fern grotto

The Kiluea light house and bird sanctuary.

The Kauai coffee Plantation

Opaekaa falls

Kamokila Hawaiian Village

Rent Bikes and ride the Coconut coast

Wet & Dry Caves by Haena Park.

Kilohana Plantation train

Koloa Rum Factory

Favorite eats

Monicas Taqueria – Krysta said best fish tacos shes ever had

Dukes

The Right Slice..Both Savery and dessert pies

The Fish express

Verde Restuarant

Hanalei Bay Pizzeria

Night out….Hukilau Lanai

Lemongrass grill

Lava Lava Beach Club…great happy hour

We always do the farmers markets…you can find lists of them when you get there.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll definitely look into getting the Kauai Revealed book from Amazon. And keep an eye out for re-trades in case something pops up that is more centrally located. I'm staying for 7 nights at the Westin currently, but I have the option to stay an extra day or 2 if flights and hotels work out - still working through possibilities... The long flights from the east coast definitely make me want to get as much in as possible...

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm in Poipu now. It took about 90 minutes to drive from here to the top of Waimea Canyon (not counting the stops at the overlooks). The weather at the top is very unpredictable. The valley was clear when we got to the Kalalau Lookout, but was filled with clouds 10 minutes later so we didn't bother driving to the Pu’u O Kila Lookout.

2019-02-05%2012-04-39-M.jpg

The small object in the middle is a helicopter.

2019-02-05%2012-33-12-M.jpg

Kalalau Lookout

Yesterday it also took about 90 minutes to drive to Hanalei, taking the scenic route around Kapaʻa so we could see the Opaeka'a Falls.

2019-02-09%2011-36-02-M.jpg

Opaeka'a Falls

2019-02-09%2013-38-26-M.jpg

Hanalei Bay

Coming back from Hanalei, we should have taken the 581 bypass around Kapaʻa. Because of the typical traffic mess on 580, it took about 2.5 hours to get from Hanalei back to Poipu. As is often the case for our trips to the north shore, it was sunny in Poipu when we left, intermittent rain in Princeville, and sunny in Poipu when we got back. It's why we prefer Poipu.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We've stayed at Westin Princeville 4 times and loved it. Its a beautiful resort and there are some great things to do on the north shore. The other posters have done a terrific job listing them. However, that traffic issue to get to the south shore is a real turnoff. We got an exchange into Marriott Waiohai last year and loved it. The Poipu area was sunnier, less issues with traffic and lots of great places to eat. If you're using points/weeks/options (whatever they're being called now) to get into the Westin, you might want to check out the newly renovated Sheraton in Poipu.
One other benefit to staying on the south shore- less stress over getting to the airport from the south shore. When there's a problem on the road coming from Princeville, you're helpless. After the torrential rainfall last April on Kauai, the road was closed for several days.

applepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts US Collection
We stayed in Kapaa through Costco Travel a couple of years ago. I liked the location because it was about 45 minutes to an hour on the worst day to get past Princeville. I loved Hanalei the most -- thought it was so beautiful there. There is a tapa restaurant that was delicious. Don't recall the name, but there can't be too many of them. There are tons of places to eat in Kapaa. We drove south a few times -- if you like it sunny, Poipu is the way to go. I really do prefer the Hanalei area because it was just so green and beautiful up there.

We did a boat tour out of Hanalei bay. My husband is not one to sit around a resort. He likes to explore and be gone most of the day adventuring, so we drove that island multiple times while we were there. We did the Smith's Luau and we did the grotto tour -- I recommend lots of bug spray. Got eaten alive.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
In the past we have stayed in Kapa'a and it was more centrally located. On our more recent ours trips we have spent 1 week in Poipu and 1 week in Princeville.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We stayed in Kapaa through Costco Travel a couple of years ago. I liked the location because it was about 45 minutes to an hour on the worst day to get past Princeville. I loved Hanalei the most -- thought it was so beautiful there. There is a tapa restaurant that was delicious. Don't recall the name, but there can't be too many of them. There are tons of places to eat in Kapaa. We drove south a few times -- if you like it sunny, Poipu is the way to go. I really do prefer the Hanalei area because it was just so green and beautiful up there.

We did a boat tour out of Hanalei bay. My husband is not one to sit around a resort. He likes to explore and be gone most of the day adventuring, so we drove that island multiple times while we were there. We did the Smith's Luau and we did the grotto tour -- I recommend lots of bug spray. Got eaten alive.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Baracuda is the restaurant in Hanalei your thinking about.

We always stay in Kapaa and love it. It’s close to all you need and it’s very convenient when you are exploring the island.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
First Congratulations. Have a great time. Kaua'i never had a road that went all the way around. Do not know what you like to do. Down south you have Waimea Canyon. To do this properly is about a day. Take a picnic lunch. Drive to the top. Resist the turn outs. Drive as far as you can and then hike past the top parking a bit. There are several View Points up there. Have your picnic lunch in the Park at the top. Then stop at all or most of the View Points on your way down. There is the Kauai Coffee Planation. There is zip lining in Koloa. There is an inner tube float down the old sugar cane canals in Lihue. There is Poipu Beach. There is the Alakai Swamp Trail. There are Cruises out of Hanalei Bay to the Napali Cliffs and snorkeling. There is the Spouting Horn. There is the Mala'ulepu Trail that starts on the top of the Cliffs just north of Shipwreck's Beach. There is the Makauwahi Cave. Almost forgot about the light house - a National Park. Also a bird nesting area.

Luau: some of the large Hotels have Luau. The two I would recommend are Kilohana just outside of Lihue or Smith Family by Kapa'a. Kilohana has the more traditional entertainment telling the Polynesian story through song and dance. Smith Family has greater diversity to honor the many people that have emigrated to the Islands. Remember Poi is not a dish by itself but to dip your Pork. There is Anini Beach. The town of Hanalei. The beach at Hanalei. The Road to Ke'e Beach (end of road) is not open. There were major storms last April that caused a lot of damage on the north shore. Kayaking up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. It is about a mile hike to the falls. Sometimes the trail is very muddy. In Lihue there is a Costco. Cheapest gas on the Island by a lot.

Great Fish Tacos at the Food Truck by Hanalei Pier. Some of the best Chili Pepper Chicken is at the Chevron Station in Priceville. Best Loco Moco is at the Food Shack on the side of the Market in Koloa.

Our favorite luau is the one put on by the Tahiti Nui in Hanalei on Wednesday nights. It is small, casual but well done. The food is done onsite and outstanding. The musicians and dancers are primarily from one family, members of which have been doing it since Auntie Louise started it to keep the luau tradition alive on the north shore about 50 years ago.

Last edited: