• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice needed (forfeiting, quit claim deed, impact, etc...)

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while. I really appreciate all of the shared knowledge.

Here is the situation that I hope someone here can provide some advice on...

My friend is an estate executor for his deceased sister. She owned two (2) fixed, deeded timeshare weeks: one (1) week at Grandview at Las Vegas and one (1) week at The Cliffs at Peace Canyon. An internet search seems to indicate that both resorts are owned by the same company, Vacation Village Resorts (though there is also some documentation in the file that mentions "Eldorado Resorts Corporation" and he also received initial e-mail correspondence from "Daily Management Resorts").

I have explained to him that the contracts essentially have no value, so he simply wants to be rid of them. His nephews (the heirs) do not travel enough to make keeping them worthwhile.

Initially, the response from Daily Management Resorts was "You are on your own and continue to be responsible for MF until they are sold/transferred". Then another e-mail from Vacation Village Resorts says the same thing but offers "There is a Deed Back Program in affect NOW (NOT ALWAYS)" (their CAPS, not mine). The estate can, if mortgage is paid in full (I believe that it is), pay $750 to give back the contract(s) (except the e-mail then says that they don't take anything back from The Cliffs and they suggest using the foreclosure process).

It has been suggested that they use a Quit claim deed to transfer the contracts to the name of the estate in order to be able to continue paying MF. The MF have not been paid because deceased's bank account was frozen. But that seems silly because then if anyone eventually "buys" the contracts for $1, there would be two (2) resort transfer fees.

My question(s) would be: Since the contracts are owned by a deceased individual (in CANADA...I believe that is an important detail), are the heirs liable...? Should they just walk away or should they make a legitimate attempt to transfer the contract(s) to a TUGer...? What would be the consequences of simply walking away...? Most importantly, what would you do...?

Any insight that can be provided would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Kevin Craft

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Being in Canada is a legal disadvantage here, but a practical advantage, imo. With the understanding that this isn't legal advice, I have the following research that I did for my own purposes:

https://hullandhull.com/2017/04/what-is-a-disclaimer/

Canadian legal precedent (link above) states that a beneficiary can only disclaim their entire portion of the estate, and not pick and choose. That means whoever is the residual beneficiary of the estate is probably (legally anyway) stuck with the timeshares.

On the other hand, I doubt the resort is going to hire a Canadian estate lawyer to contest the probate. If I was in this situation, I would probably pay the $750 to deed back so everything is clean, and let them know that nobody is taking the other one, and that they would be welcome to a deed back or the HOA can take it in foreclosure. There is a small risk to your friend, because an executor is personally liable for estates, so if the resort did sue in Canada after he did this he is potentially on the hook. However, I really doubt the resort is familiar with the difference between Canadian and US estate law.

YMMV, and I'm not a lawyer, just someone who owns a bunch of timeshares, lives in Canada, and did some research to include with my own estate papers.

Reaction score
Hi Bizaro86,

Have you ever sold a timeshare in Canada? How? Who did you use to broker the deal?

Thanks!
Veronica