TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on Vistana Villages acquistion

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by regatta333, Mar 10, 2019.

1. regatta333

regatta333 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I have the opportunity to acquire 2 EOY 2BD lockout units (one is Bella; the other Key West) for just the closing costs. Is there any downside to owning 2 EOY units as opposed to one annual one. I understand that the maintenance fees are just over $1,700 per year. Does that sound correct? It seemed rather high to me.

2. Markus

Markus TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WLR, WSJ, WKV, WDW, VSE 5*
    There will be 2 VSE network fees, the first at the higher rate $150, and the second for $50. This assumes that you have no other mandatory deeds. If you do, then no fees.

Markus

3. regatta333

So, does the $1,700 in maintenance fees include the VSE network fees, or would the fees be on top of that?

4. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

5. regatta333

The maintenance fees are higher than I had expected, and significantly higher than a regular 2BD, which look to be around $1,200 per year.
    If I am expecting to mainly use these for locking off and trading, am I better off just waiting to find someone who is giving away a
    Sheraton Desert Oasis 2BD lockoff (only $1,150 annual maintenance)? Would I even able to give this away 10-15 years down the road
    if it outlived its usefulness?

6. VacationForever

The difference between a resale SDO and a mandatory SVV week is that the former has to use II to trade and it costs $$$ to do so while the latter includes a free II membership as well as having the ability to reserve at other Vistana resorts using Star Options without additional cost. You need to ask yourself the purpose of wanting to own either SDO or SVV. Do you just want an II trader or do you want to book within SVN? SVV 2BR L/O in the prime season yields 95.7K SO while in high season only 81K SO, for the same amount of MF. If it is 81K SO, you are certainly better off in picking up a SVV 2BR non-L/O prime season which yields 81K SO but at a lower MF.

7. regatta333

I primarily intend to trade through Interval. The mandatory aspect was only attractive from the standpoint that it would be easier to get rid of down the road. I had looked in the Starwood database here and based on the maintenance fees reported for a regular 2BD, expected that the maintenance on a lockout would be somewhat comparable. With it being more than $500 per year higher, I am no longer sure it is worth it.

I assume the trading preference it receives in II is only for Vistana resorts and would not include a preference for Marriott, correct?

8. VacationForever

It is not $500 higher. It is closer to about $300 higher. If you buy an annual, you only need to pay 1 SVN fee which is $145 a year. It includes a free II membership and free internal booking. With SDO, you will need to pay for II membership and exchange fees each time you trade in II.

Yes Vistana trade preference is only for Vistana resorts, no Marriotts.

9. regatta333

Thanks to all who responded. I've decided that this is probably not right for us.

10. jdent1

jdent1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV Bella
    Just to clarify the two bedroom l/o eoy annual fees are $744.52 not including the membership fee. So two contracts would be 744.52 x 2 = $1,489.04 plus $195 membership fee totaling $1,684.04.

11. carpie99

carpie99 TUG Member

Are these platinum units?? If so, can you share your contact :)

12. jdent1

jdent1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV Bella
    Gold or platinum - the maintenance fee is the same for EOY (Every Other Year) units

13. carpie99

carpie99 TUG Member

Yes but the StarOptions are different ....

14. jdent1

jdent1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV Bella
    Yes definitely!

15. regatta333

Sent you a pm.

16. carpie99

carpie99 TUG Member

Thanks ... I went with a couple 1 bedrooms due to the lower MFs ... these are still awesome deals for a 1st unit into Vistana to get lockoff.

17. capjak

capjak TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
    That's a great deal if these are lock off and platinum. I use mine to go to Maui every year using staroptions.