• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice please

w879jr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a week’s ‘right to use’ in MROP. I have made unsuccessful bids for these on eBay on two occasions so think that I have a good idea of what I should, and would be willing, to pay.

I spotted an auction on Bidshares, and noted that though no bids had been made it was being watched by 1 other bidshares member. I contacted the seller to ask a few questions and went ahead with a bid. On placing it I found that my bid met the reserve of $500, and left a margin to fend off counter bids. In the event it took one other bidder 3 attempts to beat my high bid by $20 before auction close. More by accident than design, I didn’t respond with a higher bid.

There may have been no ulterior motive in the ”sorry you missed out” message I received from the seller, but that and subsequent events arouse suspicion. I have now received a message from the winning bidder telling me to contact the seller again as they would not be able to go through with the purchase. There seems to be a cosiness between the buyer and seller.

Should I walk away from this, because I may not get the ‘bargain’ I would have from a wholly trustworthy seller, or discuss going ahead with a purchase because the price is what I was willing to pay in the first place. The seller may not be guilty of anything underhand but, of course, I will now consider other aspects of the deal very carefully. The seller had two favourable reviews in bidshares. How reliable are these? Before bidding, my impressions of the seller were O.K.

Please see my other question in this forum, about closing costs.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand it right, your last bid was then higher than the reserve. Offer only $500.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like schill bidding. No proof of course, but it is a common practice and has been defended right here on tug. I don't approve of it or of the sellers that engage in it. It is prohibited, but so is speeding. Both are facts of life. IMHO Ben

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is MROP? Thanks

w879jr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mrop

MROP is Multi Resort Ownership Plan. It is closely associated with ORE (Owners Resort Exchange). Both are based in Salt Lake City, Utah.

There are many complications but my understanding is that.. ORE manages several resorts in which timesharers have deeded or right-to use ownership. These owners can exchange resort weeks within ORE. As an organisation MROP owns weeks in ORE resorts and other locations. Timesharers can only have right-to-use ownership within MROP. This ownership is not related to a specific resort. Requests for a resort of choice are made annually.

The allocation of weeks at resorts in both systems is managed by ORE.