• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Affiliated resort versus developed resort

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
When I say pure, I mean you must be a member of hgvc, trading occurs only through RCI and their is rofr. Is there a better word I can used?
So Flamingo was the first "true" HGVC-developed property, has mandatory membership, only trades through the HGVC RCI portal, but does not have ROFR. So is it "pure"? Certainly muddies the water! o_O

I think just focusing on the various attributes of each resort is the way to go, instead of trying to categorize resorts into affiliate, managed, developed, etc. There are just so many combinations. Maybe a chart with checkboxes for the attributes that each property has?

Kurt

Reactions: OMC

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
So Flamingo was the first "true" HGVC-developed property, has mandatory membership, only trades through the HGVC RCI portal, but does not have ROFR. So is it "pure"? Certainly muddies the water! o_O

I think just focusing on the various attributes of each resort is the way to go, instead of trying to categorize resorts into affiliate, managed, developed, etc. There are just so many combinations. Maybe a chart with checkboxes for the attributes that each property has?

Kurt
I like the idea of a chart with checkboxes but sadly our non developer resort information is lacking.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Additional updates

In the overview document for the TUG ADVICE page and the ROFR Sticky thread, we should indicate that some properties have mixed ownership
  • MarBrisa (mixed ownerships: HGVC and Grand Pacific)
  • Elara (mixed ownerships: HGVC and Westgate)

The ROFR Sticky thread should also indicate which resorts no longer include HGVC membership on resale
  • Sunset Cove (aka Holiday Inn Club Vacations Sunset Cove Resort)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Geez. My head is spinning. Thanks for handling this.

Question: Do the voluntary affiliates currently have electronic access to points booking/exchanges via HGVC? Is this in development TTB of anyone's knowledge?
I gather this is different for HGVC or mandatory resorts which I assume are all fully online.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Question: Do the voluntary affiliates currently have electronic access to points booking/exchanges via HGVC? Is this in development TTB of anyone's knowledge?
I gather this is different for HGVC or mandatory resorts which I assume are all fully online.

I think it varies. I believe some of the SW Florida resorts currently don’t have online booking, but are changing to having online available.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Many affiliates you cannot currently book online. Hgvc announced at the end of the year many will be available to book online.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many affiliates you cannot currently book online. Hgvc announced at the end of the year many will be available to book online.

Panina's comment is acurate, i would like to clarify though:

-whether you own and affiliate or not, when you use the points you access the exact same system and can book the same resorts through the HGVC portal

-it is true that many affiliates are not available online yet. However, this is not a criteria to buy on not an affiliate since access to any resort in the system (affiliate or not) is the same for all HGVC members. Unless i misunderstood Panina's point and that was that if you want to visit frequently a certain affiliate, you should absolutely buy there because they are harder to book at the moment.

Since booking is not a criteria, you have to decide whether you buy for points or because you want to visit a particular resort frequently. If you buy for points, you can buy any resort in the system, so wan not only a good price but also a lower maintenance fee per point. BUY PLATINUM ONLY IMO, it makes the most sense since the MF are the same as gold and silver but you get more points.

One approach that allows me to compare costs across TS companies (Hilton, |Marriott etc), I add the maintenance fees to 10% of the initial cost to find out my annual cost per week.
For example, if i pay $7000 to buy a 7000 platinum week and the MF is $800 per year, my annual cost is $1500. This allows me to compare with 7000 points at another resort. If instead i pay 5000 upfront but the MF is 1400, my annual cost is 1900 for the same 7000 points.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'll bite: why 10%

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

I assume he is spreading the initial $$ spent across a 10 year period, like of similar to straight line depreciation. If he hold the property longer than 10 years than he would adjust the % used.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i "amortize" my purchases in 10 years. It is not an accounting approach, i just want to be able to compare across resorts and across systems. Why 10 years? It is not scientific, rather a personal preference. I bought my contracts for the long run but the industry evolves and i do not want to use a longer period of time. Who knows, maybe in 10 years the prices will be the same or a bit more (resale) but there is a good chance that they will be zero even for what it has some resale value today.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
i "amortize" my purchases in 10 years. It is not an accounting approach, i just want to be able to compare across resorts and across systems. Why 10 years? It is not scientific, rather a personal preference. I bought my contracts for the long run but the industry evolves and i do not want to use a longer period of time. Who knows, maybe in 10 years the prices will be the same or a bit more (resale) but there is a good chance that they will be zero even for what it has some resale value today.

I guessed: works well with 'worthless' timeshares (no comments please). Perhaps not as well (too conservative) with more stalwart purchases. IMHO

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guessed: works well with 'worthless' timeshares (no comments please). Perhaps not as well (too conservative) with more stalwart purchases. IMHO
If I understand correctly, even high end resorts have fallen in price quite a bit (resale) in the last 10 years. I do not own any "worthless" timeshare but i do not know what the future has for us so i prefer to consider the future value a big zero in 10 years.

If i may add, most owners do not add any opportunity cost which is not correct IMO. If any other investments you own have been yielding more than zero in the last 10 and 20 years (i would hope so), you should add that percentage to your annual TS cost . In any case, i feel comfortable with 10%, it allows me to compare a Visana mandatory with a HGVC week. I am not claiming that it is the only way one can do it but it is simple and it works for me.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If I understand correctly, even high end resorts have fallen in price quite a bit (resale) in the last 10 years. I do not own any "worthless" timeshare but i do not know what the future has for us so i prefer to consider the future value a big zero in 10 years.
I understand. The 'worthless' was tongue in cheek.
Many others do consider zero value for ease of accounting and fluctuating values/MF's

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Bay club which is an affiliate but managed by hgvc has online booking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

I've been watching Bay Club and MarBrisa for possible points generators in retirement.....some day. Sigh.

Thanks Frank.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The initial post asked about MarBrisa.

We know HGV’s resort map refers to it as a Managed Resort. And HGV’s annual report indicates that this property is a Fee-for-service arrangement with Grand Pacific (GP) and also sub-managed by GP. (link)

But is it mandatory or voluntary? Based on the various TUG threads about MarBrisa, I think it’s voluntary but lol, I’m not sure anymore :shrug:

Can anyone confirm?

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Not for Home Week - we had to fill out a paper form last spring and FAX it to them for our stay this December. We got a summer newsletter from Bay Club's VOA that included the "Great news" that beginning with reservations for 2020, we would be able to submit reservation requests "electronically". Via email.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I've been watching Bay Club and MarBrisa for possible points generators in retirement.....some day. Sigh.

Thanks Frank.
That is what I use my bay club units for. I bought them when it made sense as the Las Vegas units where $14k. With those prices I could live with the higher mf but the resale prices of Vegas has brought plat units to $1 or less. Now I dont think I would buy bay club units vs Vegas.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not for Home Week - we had to fill out a paper form last spring and FAX it to them for our stay this December. We got a summer newsletter from Bay Club's VOA that included the "Great news" that beginning with reservations for 2020, we would be able to submit reservation requests "electronically". Via email.
Online booking using hgvc website. Did not mean for usage of home week at bay club.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Question: Do the voluntary affiliates currently have electronic access to points booking/exchanges via HGVC?

If you enroll, you use your HGVC account to book HGVC+RCI resorts online.
But how HGVC points are posted to your account differs among the resorts.

Many pre-book your home-week up to 2 yrs in advance, so no points unless:
You cancel your home-week - online or by phone - to get use of the points.
-- I cancel mine online whenever it shows up, as I'm only using it for points.

HGVC says online booking for stays at affiliates will happen (i.e. FA Cozumel).
But affiliates have resisted. A HGVC rep at an affiliate did not think they'd agree.
"We're used to a weekly schedule. HGVC online booking will disrupt that."
-- meaning that there'll be more work for the front desk and maids.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Great thread....thanks to all contributing.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
GT75 will need input from folks on which resorts are have mandatory HGVC membership vs voluntary HGVC membership and which Club resorts have NO ROFR.
Please share what you know. :thumbup:

Here’s the list of managed resorts

Florida
• Las Palmeras, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club mngd
• The Cottages at South Seas Island Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Harbourview Villas at South Seas Island Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Plantation Bay Villas at South Seas Island Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort (I, II & III) [Limited Availability] mngd
• Plantation House at South Seas Island Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• South Seas Club at South Seas Island Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Seawatch On-the-Beach Resort mngd
• Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Club Regency of Marco Island mngd
• Eagle's Nest Beach Resort mngd
• The Surf Club of Marco mngd
• The Charter Club of Marco Beach mngd
• Casa Ybel Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Hurricane House Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Sanibel Cottages Resort [Limited Availability] mngd
• Tortuga Beach Club Resort [Limited Availability] mngd

Other locations
• Hilton Grand Vacations Club at MarBrisa mngd
• Valdoro Mountain Lodge [Limited Availability] mngd
• Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club mngd
• The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort mngd
• Ocean Oaks by Hilton Grand Vacation Club mngd
• Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Anderson Ocean Club mngd
• Ocean 22 by Hilton Grand Vacation Club mngd
• Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Borgo alle Vigne mngd
• Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Coylumbridge mngd
• Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Craigendarroch Lodge mngd
• Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Dunkeld mngd

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Bay Club - voluntary HGVC membership, no ROFR

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
All of these are voluntary hgvc membership with no rofr

Surf Club of Marco Island

Eagles Nest of Marco Island

Charter Club of Marco Island

Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Hutchinson Island

Except for Charter Club all can trade in Interval.