• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aggressive Sales at Coconut Plantation

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
My position is there are two distinct systems with no cross-over. However, I will definitely bait the sales weasel by assuming the role of a HPP new owner who has priority access to everything HRC. Then I will put the HRC/HPP rules on the table and ask if they can show me in the rules just to confirm the glory and good fortune of the HPP.

My only concern is if I should take popcorn to the event!:cheer:

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
My position is there are two distinct systems with no cross-over. However, I will definitely bait the sales weasel by assuming the role of a HPP new owner who has priority access to everything HRC. Then I will put the HRC/HPP rules on the table and ask if they can show me in the rules just to confirm the glory and good fortune of the HPP.

Is there currently any marketing/sales effort under way by Hyatt to sell pure points in the HPP trust to new buyers, or are they only trying to sell deed conversions to present HRC owners to build inventory in the new system before selling to the general public? Until there are new pure points owners, there will be no increased competition for us legacy owners?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yes. The main focus, in fact, of the Hyatt sales weasels has been to push HPP to all suckers, er...marks...er prospective customers for at least a year now. I would even venture to say that non-legacy buyers are considered a priority since they presumably don’t know enough about the features and benefits of HRC. Although none of us can know for sure, I think it’s a safe bet that the large majority of HPP owners are newbies, not legacy owners.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Is there currently any marketing/sales effort under way by Hyatt to sell pure points in the HPP trust to new buyers, or are they only trying to sell deed conversions to present HRC owners to build inventory in the new system before selling to the general public? Until there are new pure points owners, there will be no increased competition for us legacy owners?
I am seeing more Hyatt units from Florida,Sedona and Texas on interval

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Kal, I don't know you personally, but I somehow think I would really enjoy watching you play with the sales weasels.
Invite me along sometime --- I'll bring enough popcorn for both of us. :D

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kal, I don't know you personally, but I somehow think I would really enjoy watching you play with the sales weasels.
Invite me along sometime --- I'll bring enough popcorn for both of us. :D
Theo, bring along a hidden camera and post the video here on TUG. It will be a runaway bestseller!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still thinking thru my game plan. I really want to have them take the bait and pour on the heavy closing approach. That way there will be a better chance that they will get carried away with the pitch. I would like to just place my iPhone on the table in front of me with the recorder running. They won't know it's running and see it as the typical smart phone as an extended body part. The other thought was to tell them I'm recording the conversation, but that might cause them to (as Archie Bunker would say) stifle themselves.

When I break out the rules and regulations, they might smell a rat and shut down. I'm also thinking about mentioning I recently received a substantial inheritance....show them the money. The color "green" would be like placing peanut butter on a mouse trap! :banana:

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m at Sunset Harbor now but they won’t let me go on a presentation. My wife won’t go and is truly good with whatever I decide. She didn’t care when we bought here and the only reason she is on the deed is in case something happens to me. All the appointments slots are being saved for couples. I was told maybe next time they will be able to fit me in. Geez, and I had planned on purchasing 4000 points at $20 a point.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are at Sunset Harbor now for 4 days and ended up going to a presentation. It was concerning to us that all Portfolio members have access to our points once we give up our set week and can reserve them at 18 mos out so potentially could significantly cut down on our inventory and ability to reserve. It was $18,000 to buy 900 points and Hyattize our 2 resale weeks. To Hyattize 1 week we would need to buy 660 pts for $13,200. The big announcement that was supposed to come out Jan. 29 was put off for a few more weeks supposedly to our benefit , per sales but who really knows. Eventually within 18 mos to 2 yrs all resorts will supposedly be in Portfolio. The presentation was fairly low pressure and gave us a few days to think about it. I think it is difficult in Key West to sell lportfolio because most folks in Sunset Harbor use their set week and rarely trade. We did meet a couple today in the hot tub who bought 2200 portfolio points this week. They already own 2 weeks but trade within Hyatt a lot and were concerned that the inventory for club users would dry up. We did not bite but I will say we left the presentation concerned that we will not be able to get the trades we are currently gettong.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m at Sunset Harbor now but they won’t let me go on a presentation. My wife won’t go and is truly good with whatever I decide. She didn’t care when we bought here and the only reason she is on the deed is in case something happens to me. All the appointments slots are being saved for couples. I was told maybe next time they will be able to fit me in. Geez, and I had planned on purchasing 4000 points at $20 a point.
We said no twice here when asked to attend the update .Then this morning we worked out at the Hyatt hotel and were chatting with a staff member for awhile
We had no idea he was involved with the Timeshare but he offered us a better incentive and said he could get us in right away so we somehow ended up at a presentation today. You should check out the hotel. Maybe they will let you go without your wife. I am curious what others take is on the program.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big announcement that was supposed to come out Jan. 29 was put off for a few more weeks supposedly to our benefit , per sales but who really knows.

This is Deja Vu all over again (aka: HPP roll out in 2017)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the classic time share deal where they insist on both husband and wife attend. That way one person doesn't walk away saying "let me check with my spouse". Their goal is instant sign up.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Sunset Harbor now for 4 days and ended up going to a presentation. It was concerning to us that all Portfolio members have access to our points once we give up our set week and can reserve them at 18 mos out so potentially could significantly cut down on our inventory and ability to reserve. It was $18,000 to buy 900 points and Hyattize our 2 resale weeks. To Hyattize 1 week we would need to buy 660 pts for $13,200. The big announcement that was supposed to come out Jan. 29 was put off for a few more weeks supposedly to our benefit , per sales but who really knows. Eventually within 18 mos to 2 yrs all resorts will supposedly be in Portfolio. The presentation was fairly low pressure and gave us a few days to think about it. I think it is difficult in Key West to sell lportfolio because most folks in Sunset Harbor use their set week and rarely trade. We did meet a couple today in the hot tub who bought 2200 portfolio points this week. They already own 2 weeks but trade within Hyatt a lot and were concerned that the inventory for club users would dry up. We did not bite but I will say we left the presentation concerned that we will not be able to get the trades we are currently gettong.
There would be little or nothing available at 18 months. Almost all availability comes at the close of the HRPP period.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

1. Remember not all Hyatt resorts are in HPP.

2. Even if they do away with HRC (which I highly doubt), you will still be able to exchange via II. We have gotten some excellent trades into Marriott thru II. I feel sorry for those being suckered into paying big $ to buy into HPP. I still believe there is a good chance the BiG announcement is to allow existing HRC owners to convert to HPP at a nominal price (possibly on a yearly basis) ala Marriott...

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We said no twice here when asked to attend the update .Then this morning we worked out at the Hyatt hotel and were chatting with a staff member for awhile
We had no idea he was involved with the Timeshare but he offered us a better incentive and said he could get us in right away so we somehow ended up at a presentation today. You should check out the hotel. Maybe they will let you go without your wife. I am curious what others take is on the program.

The salespeople are really being VERY aggressive with HPP. What this tells me is they are having trouble selling it.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if they do away with HRC (which I highly doubt), you will still be able to exchange via II. We have gotten some excellent trades into Marriott thru II. I feel sorry for those being suckered into paying big $ to buy into HPP. I still believe there is a good chance the BiG announcement is to allow existing HRC owners to convert to HPP at a nominal price (possibly on a yearly basis) ala Marriott...

They can't do away with HRC - they can create a system where you own nothing other than points that can evaporate (AKA: HPP), but they can't make deeds evaporate (AKA: HRC). Nothing against II and the potential for good trades as a lot of TS owners prefer not going to the same location, however having the guarantee to return to the same great location is appealing to some. (AKA: there no one singular "best" TS). If they did come out with a nominal priced HPP/HRC conversion, they would get a lot more HRC owners to bite on that (not sure how the HRC owners that shelled out big bucks for HPP would feel about that!)

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know you've been worried about the effect of HPP on your legacy ownership for some time, but remember one important thing: the job of the sales weasel is ALWAYS to create doubt about what you own and dangle opportunity in front of a prospective owner (er, "mark", in the TUG parlance). As others have pointed out, the HRC resorts have a separate property trust, different and distinct from HPP. You have nothing to worry about, and the purchase of HPP is a very expensive--and, IMO, unnecessary--insurance policy against an outcome almost certainly never to occur.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can't do away with HRC - they can create a system where you own nothing other than points that can evaporate (AKA: HPP), but they can't make deeds evaporate (AKA: HRC). Nothing against II and the potential for good trades as a lot of TS owners prefer not going to the same location, however having the guarantee to return to the same great location is appealing to some. (AKA: there no one singular "best" TS). If they did come out with a nominal priced HPP/HRC conversion, they would get a lot more HRC owners to bite on that (not sure how the HRC owners that shelled out big bucks for HPP would feel about that!)

As I have said before, my source (which I cannot divulge) led me to believe this was exactly their plan (to allow HRC owners to convert on an annual basis at a reasonable price); of course, this plan may have changed. I strongly suspect they are not being very successful at getting HRC owners to convert at the high prices they are charging. In order for HPP to work, they must have sufficient inventory. They have tried to sucker as many as they can into buying at the ridiculously high prices. Any day now, I suspect current HRC owners will receive notification that we can buy into HPP at a very reasonable price, ala Marriott..

Last edited:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, the HRC resorts have a separate property trust, different and distinct from HPP. You have nothing to worry about, and the purchase of HPP is a very expensive--and, IMO, unnecessary--insurance policy against an outcome almost certainly never to occur.

HRC and HPP are different ownership ponds, however based on recent posts here on TUG, both owners can fish in the other's reservation pond. HRC owners get their license to pull fish (a confirmed reservation) from the HPP pond 6 months prior to check in date - HPP owners get their license to pull fish from the HRC pond up to 12 months prior to check in date (only after an HRC owner throws their HRPP fish into the pond).

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol. Hyatt is offering $75 for the tour to owners in Key West. Just walked by a booth on the street and the offer is $150!!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $150 definitely shows the priority in selling. Closing on the uninformed newbie is hard because of the high price so they need to dangle a bigger bribe. However, the reward to Hyatt in completing the sale is much better. Hyatt still needs the HRC owners as that will provide much needed inventory to the HPP.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm ready to rumble! Here's Hyatt's opening pitch:

"I would like to thank you for keeping up to date with your ownership by booking an owner update. We recently made some major changes to the Hyatt program that will allow you to book further out, book more places, and make your vacations even more relaxing. Your appointment is scheduled for Tuesday, February 6th at 8:30 am. You will receive $75 in Gift Certificates. The review should take no more than 60 minutes. If married or living together, both spouses must attend. I am confident that you will be as excited to learn about the new Portfolio Points program as we are!"

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine there would be any HRC units available 18 months out because we get access to the unit week / points associated with the unit week at 12 months out (so there is no HRC inventory between 12-18 months out). At 12 months out the story may change a little, but a unit owner would have to release their owned unit week between 6-12 months out, just as it is done right now. At the 6-12 month mark, we all have access, so not a massive change. Between 0-6 months out HPP units become available to HRC owners. My takeaway from this is between 6-12 months out there is some disparity as HPP has access to HRC units, but not the other way around. This may have some impact on the availability to HRC owners, and may have some kind of impact on the wait list. Then, under the six month mark HPP inventory HRC owners would not have access to if it were not for the new HPP system becomes available to HRC owners. Hence, anything we may lose between 6-12 months we gain under the six month point. If this is all correct, I don't see any reason to buy into the HPP system.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't imagine there would be any HRC units available 18 months out because we get access to the unit week / points associated with the unit week at 12 months out (so there is no HRC inventory between 12-18 months out). At 12 months out the story may change a little, but a unit owner would have to release their owned unit week between 6-12 months out, just as it is done right now. At the 6-12 month mark, we all have access, so not a massive change. Between 0-6 months out HPP units become available to HRC owners. My takeaway from this is between 6-12 months out there is some disparity as HPP has access to HRC units, but not the other way around. This may have some impact on the availability to HRC owners, and may have some kind of impact on the wait list. Then, under the six month mark HPP inventory HRC owners would not have access to if it were not for the new HPP system becomes available to HRC owners. Hence, anything we may lose between 6-12 months we gain under the six month point. If this is all correct, I don't see any reason to buy into the 98
I'm ready to rumble! Here's Hyatt's opening pitch:

"I would like to thank you for keeping up to date with your ownership by booking an owner update. We recently made some major changes to the Hyatt program that will allow you to book further out, book more places, and make your vacations even more relaxing. Your appointment is scheduled for Tuesday, February 6th at 8:30 am. You will receive $75 in Gift Certificates. The review should take no more than 60 minutes. If married or living together, both spouses must attend. I am confident that you will be as excited to learn about the new Portfolio Points program as we are!"
If you sign up for it at the Hyatt Centric it's $150 or 15,000 points.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK thanks everyone for helping to relieve our anxiety. I read all your responses to my husband as the update stressed him out and he got me going. Aside from the one couple we met who bought in , most folks here at Sunset just roll their eyes about the update. Thank God for TUG.