• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airline Reservation MISTAKE??? Don't Worry "24Hour Rule"

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make a "mistake" on your Airline Reservation or need to "cancel" ???

24-hour_rule-300x191.jpg

In 2012, the Department of Transportation (DOT) promulgated the 24-hour rule. This regulation requires airlines to provide travelers booking flights 24 hours to cancel their trip or correct errors in the booking of any kind of ticket without any charge or fee from airlines. The only exemption was for tickets purchased within a week of travel.

This 24-hour rule has been on the books for about six years, but many consumers still do not know about it. Those travelers who do not know of the rule often have to pay change fees of $200 for domestic travel moments after they push “buy” on airline websites when they purchase tickets. When they purchase international tickets, the amount of money that can be charged for changes to and/or cancellation of airline tickets by airlines starts at $300 and goes up depending on the type of ticket purchased. The 24-hour rule provides travelers a window of time within which they can ensure that their tickets are to correct destinations and have names spelled properly.

Today, all airlines allow the cancellation of reservations within 24 hours of completion, as required by the 24-hour rule. If there was an error with the name of the passenger, the airline ticket must in most cases be canceled and be repurchased. That may mean that flash airfare sales may no longer be available if a name correction is requested. However, in most cases, consumers have a window of opportunity to correct errors. In most cases, even nonrefundable airline tickets may be refunded within the 24-hour window by airlines if the flight is booked prior to a week from travel.

The basic 24-hour rule means that passengers should carefully examine any airline ticket they purchase within this 24-hour window. If there is a mistake, contact the airline that issued the ticket or your travel agent immediately and notify them of the error in either destination or with an improperly spelled name.

YOUR RIGHTS: How DOT’s Full Fare Advertising Rule helps passengers save money

Make sure the destination is correct. Many passengers make mistakes by booking to the wrong city airport. This might happen in Chicago, where flights take off and land at either Midway or O’Hare. In New York, there are not only JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark, but also MacArthur and White Plains added to the mix. And, in the DC area, choices are Reagan National Airport, Baltimore Washington Airport, or Dulles. Making a mistake in airports can mean major hassles with connecting flights that may be impossible to rectify. The 24-hour rule allows a no-charge correction.

Make sure the name is correct and spelled correctly. This is perhaps the most frequent mistake made by passengers that requires the 24-hour rule. In the day of TSA screening against terrorist watch lists and security checkpoints, an improperly spelled name can become a problem.

Here is the introduction to the 24-hour rule published by DOT:

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time. To comply with the regulation, carriers may not deceive consumers about the 24-hour reservation requirement when consumers inquire about cancelling or changing a reservation within 24 hours of making or paying for that reservation. This guidance also clarifies that the Department’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) considers the failure to notify such consumers of the 24-hour reservation requirement to be unfair and deceptive in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712. It also considers the failure to offer a passenger a full refund in the original form of payment in the event of a cancellation request covered by the 24-hour reservation requirement to be an unfair and deceptive practice.

This 24-hour rule did not go over well with airlines. It was challenged in the court system as an overextension of DOT’s authority. The airline complainants lost their case. Their subsequent request to the US Supreme Court to change the regulation was also rebuffed by the highest court in the land when it refused to hear the case.

Remember: According to the 24-hour rule, passengers have 24 hours to examine their airline tickets and cancel the flight with full reimbursement, or make changes to their tickets without charge. This is another case where Travelers United was instrumental in working with DOT to put this rule into effect for American airline passengers.

Source: Travelers United

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Good to know thanks!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I didn't know! Thanks!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
But the 24 hour rule does not apply if you book your airfares with a 3rd party like Cheapo Air or others. DH booked our flights home from Belize last year while I was out since the price was so low. He thought he had a great deal but when I read the details (usually overlooked by DH) I saw that they packaged a flight with a 1 hour layover and change of airports in Washington DC. DH didn't even realize that there were 2 airports there!

Everybody knows that unless you hire a helicopter you are not going to be able to arrive on an international flight at Dulles and take off from Regan for another international flight 1hr later! I don't know why any company would even package and sell a flight like that. DH called the agency within an hour of booking and they said the 24hr rule only applies to flights booked directly with the airline.

DH's 'deal' ended up costing us a substantial change fee and a further 6 hours in getting home. He is no longer allowed to book anything with out me checking all the details first.

~Diane

DRIless

Reaction score
But the 24 hour rule does not apply if you book your airfares with a 3rd party like Cheapo Air or others. DH booked our flights home from Belize last year while I was out since the price was so low. He thought he had a great deal but when I read the details (usually overlooked by DH) I saw that they packaged a flight with a 1 hour layover and change of airports in Washington DC. DH didn't even realize that there were 2 airports there!

Everybody knows that unless you hire a helicopter you are not going to be able to arrive on an international flight at Dulles and take off from Regan for another international flight 1hr later! I don't know why any company would even package and sell a flight like that. DH called the agency within an hour of booking and they said the 24hr rule only applies to flights booked directly with the airline.

DH's 'deal' ended up costing us a substantial change fee and a further 6 hours in getting home. He is no longer allowed to book anything with out me checking all the details first. ~Diane

and DW doesn't realize there are three major airports there?
DCA, IAD, BWI

Packager should have had to fix it because they provided an impossible connection. A credit card dispute could be used as a last resort.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes. The few times we have flown I always book through the airline- that being one reason. Also-if an airline later changes your itinerary you can get a full refund if you do not agree to it or you can change ti to something else with no fee.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I typically book directly, unless using Chase's Ultimate Rewards service.
I actually found them fairly responsive to issues like schedule changes.

I also used Expedia when booking an obscure European airline (Air One).
When Air One cancelled a flight, they helped me find another one.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I've taken advantage of this a few times.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Used this not long ago after we booked Frontier to Cancun and the next day Southwest prices dropped to just a little bit more, with free bags. Cancelling with Frontier was easily done online and we had the refund in a few days.

I think the rule is a good one since they are strict on name changes and a simple spelling mistake can cost you big time to get changed.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I've taken advantage of this a few times.
Me too... it helps when you see airfare at the price you want, but need some time to search for a place to stay.