• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Companion Fare and 3 Passengers?

Rumpled

Reaction score
Trying to make sure I have this correct. First time using a companion fare.
I have my free companion fare for getting the Alaska card.
Looks like the companion fare can only book the first two passengers.
Then, I'd do another booking for the third?
Do they still get the first bag free as part of my intinerary?
How do I get all three together for seat assignments?

Using the companion fare, points for the 3rd; it looks like the three of us can go from San Diego to Kona for $500 total round trip.

BA21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Key West, WKV
HGVC Flamingo
Trying to make sure I have this correct. First time using a companion fare.
I have my free companion fare for getting the Alaska card.
Looks like the companion fare can only book the first two passengers.
Then, I'd do another booking for the third?
Do they still get the first bag free as part of my intinerary?
How do I get all three together for seat assignments?

Using the companion fare, points for the 3rd; it looks like the three of us can go from San Diego to Kona for $500 total round trip.
You will get the first checked bag free for you and your companion on the companion fare reservation. The free bag is not included on the other reservation for the 3rd person in your party as they need to be on the same reservation as the card holder. This restriction during the reservation process is intentional and limits the number of free checked bags when using the companion fare discount. I tried to work around this making a phone reservation and the agent explained that is how the reservation system is set up.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you pay for the third person’s airfare with the Alaska card, that person gets a free bag. This is one of the card perks.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you pay for the third person’s airfare with the Alaska card, that person gets a free bag. This is one of the card perks.

Dave
I'm trying to remember back when I did this and for some reason that third person did NOT get a free bag since they were not on the same itinerary as I was (and my companion). There is also no way in the Alaska system to associated the two reservations. I even talked to an Alaska rep on the phone about this. She sympathized, but there was nothing she could do.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm trying to remember back when I did this and for some reason that third person did NOT get a free bag since they were not on the same itinerary as I was (and my companion). There is also no way in the Alaska system to associated the two reservations. I even talked to an Alaska rep on the phone about this. She sympathized, but there was nothing she could do.

What I meant is that any ticket paid for with the Alaska Visa card gets the first bag free. (Unless things have changed?) It doesn't have anything to do with the Companion Fare thing. Also, connecting two reservations should be able to be done behind the scenes by calling in.

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The free checked bags only apply to the people that are on the same reservation meaning card holder and guests. If using a companion fare there would only be two people on that reservation so only two free checked bags.

We have two Alaska Air credit cards and will use the companion tickets but will use them to max out the free checked luggage. If we were traveling with three people we would use one companion fare to include the person that doesn't have the signature card and purchase the other ticket for a card holder. You only need one card to do this.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The free checked bags only apply to the people that are on the same reservation meaning card holder and guests.

Bill

Are you sure? If you just buy airfare on the card, (not a Companion Fare thing), doesn't it still give a free first bag? I believe it does. In OP's case, buying a ticket outright for the third passenger on a new reservation, but if paid with the Alaska card, should still earn a free bag. Right?

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Are you sure? If you just buy airfare on the card, (not a Companion Fare thing), doesn't it still give a free first bag? I believe it does. In OP's case, buying a ticket outright for the third passenger on a new reservation, but if paid with the Alaska card, should still earn a free bag. Right?

Dave

The free checked bags is for you or your guests when the airfare was paid for with the Signature Card. So maybe ?

[QUOTE
Who is eligible for the first checked bag free benefit?
Eligible Alaska Airlines Visa® primary consumer credit cardholders:
If you are the eligible primary Alaska Airlines Visa® cardholder on the account, have entered your Mileage Plan™ number into your reservation, and are traveling on Alaska Airlines, we will waive the first checked bag fee for you and up to 6 other guests on the same reservation. For reservations made with group booking codes or through the group desk, only eligible primary Alaska Airlines Visa® cardholders will receive the free checked bag. The cardholder must be traveling and the cardholder's Mileage Plan™ number must be in the reservation before checking in at alaskaair.com, the Alaska Airlines mobile apps, or at any of our Alaska Airlines airport kiosks.][/QUOTE]

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Dave
Dave, I'm pretty sure that is the way it works. Meaning even if you pay for the ticket using your Alaska Airlines credit card, if that person is NOT on the same reservation as you they do not get the free checked bag. Looks like easyrider quoted what is on the Alaska Airlines website.

As I said, that is what happened to me. Dh and I flew using the companion fare on one reservation. I couldn't book dd on that same reservation so booked her separately, still using my card. She did not get a free bag.

Mcjohan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN/OF, WLR
Our Alaska Airlines card is in my husband’s name. We used it to buy tickets for myself and our 2 daughters & had to book one reservation separately because we used the companion pass. None of us got a free bag because my husband wasn’t traveling with us (this was 2 months ago).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Our Alaska Airlines card is in my husband’s name. We used it to buy tickets for myself and our 2 daughters & had to book one reservation separately because we used the companion pass. None of us got a free bag because my husband wasn’t traveling with us (this was 2 months ago).
United Airlines is the same. We always book our United flights using dh's credit card as he gets the points. However, if he is not traveling with us on the same reservation we don't get the free bag, or any of the other perks.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hmm. Ok. I give. Maybe I’m thinking that’s how it worked because I’ve bought tickets without a Companion Fare before, and because I paid with the Visa card, we got free first bags. It didn’t occur to me that I was one of the travelers.

Sorry if I added to the confusion. I’ll go sit quietly now. ;)

Dave

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Bring two large bags to check for free and two carry on size (heck, I guess that you could bring four!). If they run out of overhead bin space they will gate check your carry-ons for free, otherwise they will be in the overheads, so win-win for you. Sometimes they ask for volunteers to gate check before boarding - for free. We get free bags so we always check ours in, but I've heard them ask for volunteers on every flight.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Bring two large bags to check for free and two carry on size (heck, I guess that you could bring four!). If they run out of overhead bin space they will gate check your carry-ons for free, otherwise they will be in the overheads, so win-win for you. Sometimes they ask for volunteers to gate check before boarding - for free. We get free bags so we always check ours in, but I've heard them ask for volunteers on every flight.
Jet Blue does this as well. In fact they don't wait until they know if they are going to run out of overhead space. If the flight is full, or fairly full, they put out the offer early.

Rumpled

Reaction score
Consensus seems to be a a cardholder we would only get two free bags. This is how I see it as well. I do like the two big bag idea.
Staying in our timeshare with laundry, this might work.
Though, I might bring a bike; now that Alaska has dropped extra fees for that.

My remaining question is how to seat us all together? Luanne, Mcjohan or others who have done this with two reservations - how have you fared on getting that done?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Consensus seems to be a a cardholder we would only get two free bags. This is how I see it as well. I do like the two big bag idea.
Staying in our timeshare with laundry, this might work.
Though, I might bring a bike; now that Alaska has dropped extra fees for that.

My remaining question is how to seat us all together? Luanne, Mcjohan or others who have done this with two reservations - how have you fared on getting that done?
Just to be clear. You get ONE free bag per passenger for up to SIX passengers traveling on the same reservation.

I always get seats together as I select them when I book the flights.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What others have said above. Free checked bag does not apply if the primary credit card holder is not one of the passengers on the reservation.

From experience - purchasing Alaska Air tickets for DW using an Alaska Air credit card for which I am the primary card holder and she also has a card, and she is not traveling with me. She does not get free checked bag,

We dropped one of our Alaska cards and set up a new card with her as the primary card holder primarily to work around that issue.

Rumpled

Reaction score
Just to be clear. You get ONE free bag per passenger for up to SIX passengers traveling on the same reservation.

I always get seats together as I select them when I book the flights.

By two bags I meant one each for the two of us on the companion fare.
Hopefully, we can get seats together.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
By two bags I meant one each for the two of us on the companion fare.
Hopefully, we can get seats together.
When you book your flights just select your seats then. Or are you planning on purchasing the Saver option? You can't select your seats with this, and it's not recommended for parties of two or more (unless you don't care if you sit together).

Last edited: