• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Algae in Playa?

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Sands, Lawrence Welk
Have been reading news reports about the foul smelling algae - anyone at the Royal HAciendas at the moment? If so... can you update on the condition of the ocean?

Thanks..

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It was bad last year at Vidanta RM when we went in late April early May. The staff was continuously work on cleaning it off the beach. Some days it smelled awful and other days, you did not smell it. There was a long thread last year about it up and down the coast near Playa. Search for Seaweed.

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Sands, Lawrence Welk
Thank you! I searched for "algae" and nothing came up.... will try with seaweed!

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
Sargassum is the term to search

cheech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bahia Principe Privilege Club, Royal Elite Vacation Club
Just got back from a resort "fairly" close to the Royal Haciendas and it was horrible. The entire coast from Puerto Morales all the way down to Akumal is covered. They are working diligently to clean it up, but it appears to be a losing battle.

rpennisi

Reaction score
This past February at the GB RM, there was Sargassum all along the beach. The workers were collecting it and dumping the seaweed in a huge pile at the south end of their beach property with all sorts of detritus mingled in, but no smell.

Last edited:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
What to do with that stinky sargassum?
https://www.travelweekly.com/Mexico-Travel/What-to-do-with-that-stinky-sargassum

By Arnie Weissmann / Mexico / Travel Weekly / travelweekly.com / May 14, 2019

“When life deals you sargassum ... well, you won't find a market for sargassum-ade.

But it turns out that there are potential positives in this bothersome seaweed, according to Dario Flota, general director of Caribe Mexicano, the tourism promotion board for Mexico's Quintana Roo state, which includes Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Puerto Morelos, Holbox and other tourist magnets.

The Mexican navy has been sent to intercept the millions of pounds of sargassum looking to beach itself on the Quintana Roo coastline by placing barriers into the ocean to prevent the plant from reaching shore. The project began yesterday off Puerto Morelos....”

9D4FC38C-10E4-4945-9580-51EADB8B1549.jpeg

A sargassum cleanup in Playa del Carmen.
Photo Credit: Lduarte/Shutterstock

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
we were at Lagunamar in Cancun 3 times in the last 14 months: March and late October 2018 and again in March 2019, absolutely no issue with the seaweeds. I hope they will be able to do something about it thought, i heard that in Playa del Carmen it was pretty bad.

upload_2019-5-17_9-56-19.png

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is a live feed from Hard Rock Cancun, not far from Westin Lagunamar

upload_2019-5-17_9-38-50.png

Last edited:

KathyAH475

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
DVC
MVC
we were at Lagunamar in Cancun 3 times in the last 14 months: March and late October 2018 and again in March 2019, absolutely no issue with the seaweeds. I hope they will be able to do something about it thought, i heard that in Playa del Carmen it was pretty bad.

View attachment 11856
Hi- We were at Vidanta RM April 27- May 4. Sargassum was being raked and piled constantly. Yes, I heard it was pretty bad in PM and PDC. There was a smell on one of the days at the Beach Club Pool, but it didn't last. None of this spoiled our glorious 2 weeks there, though. Weather was perfect, great friends and family travelled with us, food & drink (at the few restaurants that were opened!) was delicious, and I can't wait to return.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Is the Sargassum more prevalent in certain months of the year? Has anyone experienced it on the Mayan Riviera in November?