TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Allegiant Air and "60 Minutes"

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by VegasBella, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:23 AM.

1. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    "A seven-month "60 Minutes" investigation into Allegiant Air, the Las Vegas-based ultra-low-cost carrier, found more than 100 serious incidents involving mechanical issues. "

"Between Jan. 1, 2016 and the end of Oct. 2017, "60 Minutes" found more than 100 serious mechanical incidents, including mid-air engine failures, smoke and fumes in the cabin, rapid descents, flight control malfunctions, hydraulic leaks and aborted takeoffs."

more info:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-60-minutes-defensive-2018-04-16/

2. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I won't fly Allegiant at any price.

3. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    I don't fly low cost carriers but any time I see 60 minutes, I have to consider the source.

60 minutes hasn't had any credibility in years.

ottawasquaw and kwelty like this.
  4. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    Trust me, this one is pretty accurate.

5. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    Even scarier is the lack of concrete action by the FAA.

6. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    Even more scarier'r is the fact that they continue to hire FAA employees and continue to avoid fines and action.

Two the incidents that occurred were 'crashes' that were avoided by the crew with great responses.

7. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

That was one scary 60 Minutes segment.

8. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    Wow! We were thinking of flying them from Vegas to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore. I knew they are a budget airline, but didn’t realize the extent of their safety issues. We will have to explore other alternatives.

Best regards.

Mike

9. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

They came into our town a couple years ago. We thought that having scheduled service to Las Vegas would be useful, as otherwise, all we had (and still do) is Delta to SLC 3-4 flights a day. Turned out, all Allegiant wanted to sell was air/hotel packages. Outbound flights to Vegas on Friday evening, and a return flight on Monday. No chance of using them to make a connection to anywhere. They lasted a few months and quietly folded their tent. It wasn't a safety issue, but one of convenience.

Jim

10. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

Allegiant is on my "would not fly on a bet" list. (Spirit is as well.)

turkel, taterhed and Chrispee like this.
  11. Jan M.

Jan M. Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    I just flew Allegiant last month and will fly them again. I flew Spirit last month too and will be flying Spirit again this weekend. I also use Frontier. Last year Delta made it off my do not fly list after 16 years but only because I didn't have another option for that trip. I've flown Jet Blue, Delta, United, Southwest, Air Tran, American, Continental and probably other major airlines I'm forgetting and have noticed things I wondered about on them too. I question the FAA more than the airlines.

12. cgeidl

cgeidl Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The FAA representative should have never been hired. He was scarier than the Airlines many infractions.How can someone that weeak be in such a position????

taterhed likes this.
  13. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Never flown them and never will. Last time I mentioned that on TUG, I was somewhat disparaged for stating that. I followed that airline for quite a while and I've not changed my opinion that the savings aren’t worth the risk. The chance of a total catastrophe might be low but being stranded or worse because of maintenance problems is certainly higher than other airlines. Having 40+ years in the airplane business, I’d rather go Greyhound than Allegiant.

The FAA is equally culpable here. I’ve no problem with their change in approach to regulating but when problems like this show up, it DEMANDS immediate and strong action, not just a nanny nanny boo boo letter.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    jehb2 and taterhed like this.
  14. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Ditto! That was one scary segment of 60 minutes...

15. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

I don't believe they offer connecting flights anywhere anyway. If you want to "connect", you have to buy two or more individual segments which means you would have to pay twice for luggage/carry-on.

16. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    Just an observation....

My concerns are not based on the 60 minutes show....but they did a nice job to point out the problems.
    This is MUCH deeper than some 'media outlet' choosing a topic of the day for sensational headlines.
    IMNSHO, this is an endemic problem with the airline.

Hopefully--for the passengers and employees--this will tighten things up and fix some of the issues without hurting pax or putting all the employees out on the street.

17. ace2000

ace2000 TUG Member

Help me understand something... you're already getting a huge price break with Allegiant, you want it to be safe too?

jehb2, presley and slip like this.
  18. Tamino

Tamino Guest

The NTSB is an agency with safety as a priority and one in which I have the greatest respect. Not so with the FAA. Promotion of air carriers and airlines in general is their mandate, not safety. The FAA only acts when deaths occur.

There are a number of airlines which I will not fly no matter the ticket price: Spirit, Allegiant, and Ryan Air.

19. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

While it is true that most of their problems have been with older MD-80 Series Airframes and the JT8D Engines, I have great confidence that the slipshod maintenance practices will eventually result in similar results on their newer Airbus Equipment unless the FAA wakes up.

Cheers

taterhed likes this.
  20. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

This gets at the reason I do not fly Allegiant. They only have a few flights each week to the destinations I have in mind, and they don't have interline agreements. So, if for some reason your flight is cancelled, it will be a very long time before you get where you are going if you aren't wiling to buy another ticket at last-minute fares yourself. Spirit is better in terms of frequency, but also will not write you over to anyone else.

21. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I have no interest in defending 60 Minutes (and I'm not sure that Allegiant even operates in my geographic area at all), but I watched the subject piece last night and have to ask --- do you actually doubt the veracity of passenger eyewitnesses, video recordings or statistics and reports provided (even if only belatedly and reluctantly) directly from Allegiant itself in response to FOIA requests? With all the damning hard facts and evidence, what's not credible to you in this matter? :shrug:

I would never set foot on an Allegiant aircraft. Cutting costs and staying low budget by skirting critical aircraft maintenance and repairs on (old to begin with) aircraft is (IMnsHO) indefensible and just flat out frightening as a company practice.

The weakness of (and ongoing inaction by) the FAA is of course another matter entirely. :ponder:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    jehb2 likes this.
  22. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Didn't the pilots union write a letter a few years ago regarding concern of the maintenance of the aircraft by Allegiant?

23. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    I won’t fly any low cost carrier. They have to shave costs somehow.

I think the Tampa Tribune or some paper in the area did an expose on Allegiant. I still won’t watch 60 minutes. They blew all credibility in the Audi “unintended acceleration” days.

jehb2 likes this.
  24. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks
    My biggest problem with the low cost carriers is that when ever there is any type of issue, you probably won’t get there on time, if at all. At this point in my life, I’ll pay a little more to get there.

25. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    You’re right. A bunch of Sun Country passengers just got stranded in Los Cabos.

Years ago a bunch of friends planned a trip to Maui. They all flew Rich air. I flew United. Rich air went bankrupt a day before we were heading home. I had no problems as it was in the pre-beating era.

slip likes this.