TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Allegiant Air and "60 Minutes"

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by VegasBella, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Chrispee

Chrispee Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Old aircraft, questionable maintenance, no interline agreements, lower quality pilots (on average)... There are so many reasons to not fly a low cost carrier like Allegiant IMO. Maybe if I lived near a small airport where they were the only game in town I might consider it?

I'm not super eager to hop on a 30 year old MD-80 with a 1500 hour first officer at the yoke.

2. Sapper

Sapper TUG Member

You are implying that "low cost" carriers shave costs by failing to maintain their aircraft correctly. This is not really true, though there are some glaring examples of this. Most of the reduced cost is in reduced overhead. The legacy carriers have legacy costs which the newer airlines do not need to pay (these are mostly old defined benefit retirement and medical programs). The low cost carriers also shave cost by not paying their employees as well as the legacy airlines.

The other way they make money is kind of a shell game with customers by charging fees for everything, then stair stepping fees based on when the customer decides to pay (ie, Spirit bag fee when the ticket is booked is lower than at the gate). There are other games the low cost airlines play, like eliminating reclining seats and then squishing them closer together so they can fit another row of seating onto a plane. At this point, most of the majors have caught on and are playing their own games, such as United squishing the seats together, but then selling an "upgrade" to what was at one time standard coach seating.

3. Sapper

Sapper TUG Member

You could fly your own plane or drive, but statistically speaking, you are safer in that 30 year old MD-80 with a 1500 hour pilot at the controls.

T-Dot-Traveller likes this.
  4. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    I understand wanting to bash Allegiant. After all they were the target of the 60 Minutes "investigation" and segment. And, I will qualify my comments by saying I have never flown with Allegiant. But, some of what I saw and subsequently read said says maintenance is performed by a maintenance contractor. They're the ones who failed to correct some of the issues discovered or failed to complete a repair. To me that says not all the blame lies with Allegiant. Yes, Allegiant should have some oversight on the repairs and maintenance. But the maintenance contractor has some culpability here too. This is something that hasn't been brought up in this thread and seems to have been minimized by 60 Minutes.

5. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    My understanding ( from a few years ago ) is that Allegiant's model is buying older used planes . That type of fleet would likely require more maintenence ......

Spirit for instance is in the process of growing by adding new planes *. (Airbus - 118 in service & 53 on order )

*Wikipedia

6. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Frontier is also growing by adding new aircraft.

7. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    Yes, but who hired that company to do the maintenance? If they screw up that often, why do they keep on using them? Allegiant should have more than "some oversight", IMO.

Kurt

8. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    I absolutely agree. Allegiant failed. The maintenance contractor failed. The FAA inspectors failed. My point was simply don't just lay blame at Allegiant's feet. There's plenty to go around.

9. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    Surprise, Surprise....

Most airlines use contractors for some or all of their maintenance.

Doesn't matter if it's an in-house job, contractor or foreign contractor (yes, many are, don't look shocked), the airline maintains responsibility for oversight and inspection of all work done in accordance with their operating instructions.

So, the blame falls on the airline..... Not just Allegiant, but any airline. Happens once? Hm. Contractor issue. Happens multiple times? Well, you know....

10. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My friend was on the Allegiant flight from FL to MD that the pilot aborted, and was fired. It was extremely scary for her, and they exited down a chute.

11. Carta

Carta TUG Member

I was planning travel from ABE to SFB in October...After this report, I feel safer...Allegiant should get the hint. HOPEFULLY!!

12. Chrispee

Chrispee Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I absolutely agree with what you’re saying, however I’d rather pay more for a flight on a different airline was more my point.

13. Carol C

Carol C TUG Lifetime Member

What about ValueJet? Wasnt that the early incarnation?

14. Carol C

Carol C TUG Lifetime Member

Dang i cannot seem to edit myself!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 10:53 PM