TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and $300 credit

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Julian926, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Julian926

Julian926 TUG Member

Wasn't sure if this was covered already: Does the $300 credit work for MFs on properties like SVV?

I do see topics on the 6x credit but I'm not sure if the $300 credit applies to MFs on most Vistana properties. Maybe I've missed it.

I'm considering getting in December so I can can get the $300 credit at the end of the year and $300 in January 2020. (I think the credit is calendar year)

2. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    The benefit is not on a calendar year basis.

During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy on your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.

Julian926 and jabberwocky like this.
  3. Henry M.

Henry M. TUG Member

The credit does work with the maintenance fees.

SMH1968, Julian926 and Negma like this.
  4. Julian926

Julian926 TUG Member

Thanks for the clarification. It'll probably make more sense to open an account in January, instead of December.

Good to hear. I'll use the credit for SVV maintenance and the 50k reward certificate will be worth more than the $150 net difference. So it's pretty much all gravy after the AF.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  5. Henry M.

Henry M. TUG Member

I feel my Brilliant card is basically free too. The free night in a room of up to 50K points is worth more than $150 to me too.

6. BLUE AYES

BLUE AYES TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
    Plat. for Life
    I have three hotel stays coming up where I have the option of using the 50,000 points certificate. At any one of them, I will save between $400-$600 if I were to pay for the room.

7. SMH1968

SMH1968 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Looking to buy Vistana Villages Bella or Key West
    This is fantastic news! Does anyone know if I can split payment between two cards to maximize the deal? My Vistana balance is currently $0, but I can prepay. Should I prepay $300 with the Bonvoy Brilliant now, and pay the balance with my BofA Cash Rewards card which gives me 5.25% cashback on timeshares when the 2020 bill is due? Or can I split payment between two cards once the 2020 bill arrives?

8. jabberwocky

jabberwocky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR, SDO (EOYE), WKORV-N (EOYO), Westin Flex (EOYO)
    You should be able to split across two cards.

I tried this strategy earlier this year when there was a $40 promo for spending $250. I paid off $250 of our MF early and got the $40 discount posted to my Amex a few days later.

the $250 just showed up in my Vistana account as a credit against 2020 fees.

SMH1968 likes this.
  9. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I just received the "Free" hotel cert for our 35k anniversary award. It states that there will be additional "Mandatory Resort Fees" that will apply (argh!)

Haven't upgraded to the 50k version because we can make do with the 35k at lower-end hotels such as Springhill suites to visit our college kids. The lower end hotels also include free breakfast and don't charge resort fees.

Unless we find a specific use or I receive a 150k free AF offer, I'll stay on the low end card. My DH has the 50k version and that doesn't work on all hotels during peak season so the extra cost may be wasted. We upgraded to get 150k points but may downgrade to 35k when the AF comes due. 6x points the same and AMEX offers same.

Bonvoy is overly complicated. Have to jump through a lot of hoops to use that "free" night (plus resort fees plus breakfast cost.) I had to buy $450 trip insurance to cover the $8300 cancellation fee for 5 "free" nights at an upscale Marriott using Bonvoy points if we are delayed and miss the first night.

Consequently this abuse of the word "Free" has left a negative impression on me. #bonvoyrant Will use up our remaining Bonvoy points, and sock drawer the cards for the "free" hotel nights until that becomes devalued beyond $95 or we can no longer use.

Increasingly transitioning to collecting Chase UR rewards and 2% cash for MF unless there is an AMEX offer.

The Hilton Card Anniversary Night is a much better deal because we can stay at the Waldorf or Conrad with 2 cards for a weekend - plus as Diamond (or Gold) Elite we get free breakfast - no strings attached.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  10. Julian926

Julian926 TUG Member

Can’t disagree with you there, especially with the devalue part.

I intend to use the 50k cert for a hotel every year for a 10 miler in a major city. Every year I noticed that the Ritz Carlton was 50k, even around at the time of the race. However, with the new “dynamic” pricing, this year, I noticed that it’s 60k. I can understand demand, but that’s one major hotel loss in my search. Luckily, there’s a Westin there for 40k, but I feel like I can’t really use that 50k to its full potential.