• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
@frank808 so you have 2 cards? 1 for you and one for spouse?

Aspire is a great card, however my fear is that they will increase the fee next year just when we get this in place for both of us.

Our wallet now is primarily:

CSV - (2x) love the travel credits, love the primary car insurance, 3x Uber for my college kids, the evacuation insurance up to $100k and the option to transfer points to UAL, or Hyatt or use the travel portal and still get airline credits. Will keep but may downsize to 1 + AU
Southwest Cards (for Companion Passes)
Hilton Aspire (spend bonus, MF only)
Freedom and Discover - 5 x bonuses - had forever - free
Costco Citi - 4x gas, 3x travel 2x Costco - had forever - free

Sock drawer/Downsize
All SPG cards (3) - Pay Vistana MF get credits, Marriott Gold (Lux) Free nights (may cancel personal cards if no decent free hotel use at 35k)
All IHG cards (2) - Free Nights (may cancel with recent devaluation) but only $49 AF.
United (1) - good for free bag, priority boarding and award availability. - keep
Alaska (1) - Companion pass to HI. But if SWA works better/cheaper may cancel.

Considering:
A 2% card such as Fidelity - with all of the travel devaluations cash is becoming king. Would use for all non-bonus spend. No AF which makes this a keeper.

Aspire Card for DH

Slightly off topic:
You should also consider the Penfed card. No annual fee and $100 Amex (engine based) credit for airlines every year. Can't beat that. You don't have to work for the Pentagon to get this. Essentially, this is free money every year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @Julian926 sounds great and we are members of PenFed. Can you let me know which card you are referring to? The Amex card doesn't mention this. Perhaps they discontinued this card because it was too lucrative?

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards

P.S. I am also evaluating 2% Mastercards e.g. Citi DoubleCash or Paypal 2% because we have many Visa and AMEX but only 1 IHG Mastercard which we may cancel. Mastercard works best with Plastiq and has frequent promotions for fee free purchases.

By using Plastiq, we avoid having to issue 1099s for gardeners, contractors and housekeepers by paying with a credit card and Plastiq issues the check. As you know most of these workers don't accept credit cards.

Any other 2%+ recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Julian926 sounds great and we are members of PenFed. Can you let me know which card you are referring to? The Amex card doesn't mention this. Perhaps they discontinued this card because it was too lucrative?

P.S. I am also evaluating 2% Mastercards e.g. Citi DoubleCash or Paypal 2% because we have many Visa and AMEX but only 1 IHG Mastercard which we may dump. Mastercard works best with Plastiq and has frequent promotions for fee free purchases.

By using Plastiq, we avoid having to issue 1099s for gardeners, contractors and housekeepers by paying with a credit card and Plastiq issues a check. As you know most of these workers don't accept credit cards.

It's the Penfed Pathfinder Rewards. It is an Amex credit card through this credit union. It has $100 airline credit + $100 credit for TSA. The TSA part I gave to a friend. Penfed doesn't care if the recipient is not the account holder.

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/pathfinder-rewards-american-express

Also, I wish Wells Fargo mortgage would take plastiq. Too bad, I could've seriously up'd my points. Good idea on using it for contractors. Might have to look into that.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @Julian926 Are the points you earn on this card Amex points? or a Penfed points program? If the latter, what is the redemption rate? Do you go through a portal and pay with points? Points and cash similar to Chase Rewards? or do you transfer the points to specific airlines and hotels?

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Julian926 Are the points you earn on this card Amex points? or a Penfed points program? If the latter, what is the redemption rate? Do you go through a portal and pay with points? Points and cash similar to Chase Rewards? or do you transfer the points to specific airlines and hotels?

No, it's their own point system. Honestly, I haven't used their point system at all and I didn't spend much on the card. I wouldn't use this to rack up points. I just spend a few bucks here and there to keep it active. I benefit just from the no fee and $100/yr airline credit that is on the same amex platform as the hilton aspire and amex plat. My understand is that it's not a great point system. You'd be better off maximizing on a CSR or Amex gold, or whatever makes the most optimal points on your everyday spend.

Last edited:

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

P.S. I am also evaluating 2% Mastercards e.g. Citi DoubleCash or Paypal 2% because we have many Visa and AMEX but only 1 IHG Mastercard which we may cancel. Mastercard works best with Plastiq and has frequent promotions for fee free purchases.

By using Plastiq, we avoid having to issue 1099s for gardeners, contractors and housekeepers by paying with a credit card and Plastiq issues the check. As you know most of these workers don't accept credit cards.

Sorry for the change in topic--but had not heard of Plastiq, and looked up. So, who pays the 2.5A% fee to write the check? If it just added to YOUR fee? Does it take time to get the checks off, or are they fairly good at this?
I would like to use my cc for the cleaning crew, contractors, mortgage etc, but they don't take cc. If you have to pay 2.5% fee, then have to decide if worth it... Most cc benefits are worth 1-2% based on my calculations.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You pay the fee but if you have a credit card that pays 2 - 3%+ it is a wash. I like it for the convenience of not having to issue 1099s, plus there are times I am trying to hit spend bonuses on new credit card such as earning the Southwest companion pass. I also use it for paying business bills when credit cards are not accepted for contractors etc. (can write off the transaction fee.)

Although I have never tried it you could possibly use it to issue a check to pay for a TS rental if the owner doesn't accept Paypal payments. It buys you credit card protection in the deal.

If Plastiq mail a physical check it can take 5 days to mail plus a few days beyond that to process - which is the case with most of our payments. However you can schedule payments.

Here's more details:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/complete-guide-to-plastiq-credit-card-payments/

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Two more ideas for the Aspire free night certs to extend an HGVC stay:

1) Embassy Suites Beachwalk Waikiki. Hat tip to @junk for the idea. We are extending a Sat checkout from HHV to fly home on a cheaper fare on Sunday. Since we are on a fixed RCI week stay the only way to add HGVC is min 3 nights so this presents a viable option. We hope to get upgraded to an OV from the standard room reward (we are Diamond) but may not be possible with peak summer demand. Either way, given how pricey hotel rooms are in Hawaii for peak summer this is still a good deal. This hotel is close to HHV and includes free breakfast and evening drinks/appetizers. Plus no resort fees unlike HHV hotels.

2) The London NYC We opted to extend a W57 presentation promo weekend with an additional weekend night at this new Conrad Hotel on W 54th since the points on a weekend night are double at HGVC. We were able to secure a 1 bdrm suite with the award and it includes $60 credit for breakfast because we are Diamond. Hopefully they will upgrade us to a view suite.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
2) The London NYC We opted to extend a W57 presentation promo weekend with an additional weekend night at this new Conrad Hotel on W 54th since the points on a weekend night are double at HGVC. We were able to secure a 1 bdrm suite with the award and it includes $60 credit for breakfast because we are Diamond. Hopefully they will upgrade us to a view suite.

This one I like!

They let us add a night at W. 57th for $149 for our promo, so we don't need to do this for the present time. But definitely something to look at going forward.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Two more ideas for the Aspire free night certs to extend an HGVC stay:

1) Embassy Suites Beachwalk Waikiki. Hat tip to @junk for the idea. We are extending a Sat checkout from HHV to fly home on a cheaper fare on Sunday. Since we are on a fixed RCI week stay the only way to add HGVC is min 3 nights so this presents a viable option. We hope to get upgraded to an OV from the standard room reward (we are Diamond) but may not be possible with peak summer demand. Either way, given how pricey hotel rooms are in Hawaii for peak summer this is still a good deal. This hotel is close to HHV and includes free breakfast and evening drinks/appetizers. Plus no resort fees unlike HHV hotels.

Embassy suites beach walk is close to hhv. Their breakfast is one of the better embassy ones I have been to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Embassy suites beach walk is close to hhv. Their breakfast is one of the better embassy ones I have been to.

Yes! I stayed there for 5 nights in Feb. on HH points (5th night free). Very good free breakfast and the free adult beverages from 5-7 was excellent. Very strong pours, IMO. Make sure to tip the bartender as he's so fast it's like The Matrix.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Just learned that the Aspire resort credit doesn't work for all HGVC properties MF. For example, I did not get the credit for W57 because it is not on the list of resorts but I expect that I would get it for Paradise MF since it is on the list. Testing now.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Las Vegas Blvd and Flamingo
Not sure which triggered the $250 statement credit, but I paid all my MF on the same day. I believe 2 days later, Amex issued the $250 credit.

I'm loving this card!

greenwich3

TUG Member
Reaction score
HHV and Hilton Waikoloa are on the resort list. Amex systems often cannot tell the difference. I recall that it worked prior to the spin-off. Would love to see this tested.

I just spent 3 weeks at Kingsland which is on the list. I’ll let you know if they pay me back $250.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Update. Paradise MF worked. W57 MF and LA Hilton stay did not post because not listed as a resort.

greenwich3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent January at Kingsland and spend a decent amount for food there. I checked out Monday and today the Aspire card refunded me $250, so in my case the card was a no-brainer.

It also gave me the priority lounge at the airport, refunds on United and I’ll have the points, plus a free weekend night, plus diamond status. So at this point, it was well worth the $450.

If it stays this way, I am going to keep the card.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Has anyone tried booking Open Season at one of the listed Hilton resorts to get the resort credit?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Recently paid our final balance on our HGVC MF with AMEX Aspire. There is an AMEX offer for PLAN IT for 0 Fees 0 interest on a Hilton Purchase over $500. Looks like it kicked in and we can pay monthly 1/6th of the balance for the next 6 months with 0 cost. Free loan so can keep the money in the bank earning 2%. Nice perk! This card just keeps on giving.

Check your Amex account for this offer.

upload_2019-2-7_16-17-54.png

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently paid our final balance on our HGVC MF with AMEX Aspire. There is an AMEX offer for PLAN IT for 0 Fees 0 interest on a Hilton Purchase over $500. Looks like it kicked in and we can pay monthly 1/6th of the balance for the next 6 months with 0 cost. Free loan so can keep the money in the bank earning 2%. Nice perk! This card just keeps on giving.

Check your Amex account for this offer.

View attachment 10302

Cool, thanks. I'll suggest that mrs. brp look for this. I paid one of the Flamingo's with a regular Hilton Amex, and I don't see it. I also saw that Plan it generally has a monthly fee (but no interest). So this deal may be specific to Aspire.

Cheers.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was an Amex offer that you had to accept. It was on the Aspire and Ascend cards. Don't know if it's still available.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
This was an Amex offer that you had to accept. It was on the Aspire and Ascend cards. Don't know if it's still available.

I dont see it my account. Either i missed it, which is very possible or i was not offered this deal.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It was offered on my ascend but not aspire account.

I used Aspire to get the extra 30k HH pesos using aspire vs ascend. Better deal than spreading the mf payment over six months, even though it would be free.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
So mrs. brp paid one of the Flamingo fees (like $1000 or so), and just got a credit from Amex for $47.62, indicted as the Resort Credit. Seems odd.

Cheers.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
So mrs. brp paid one of the Flamingo fees (like $1000 or so), and just got a credit from Amex for $47.62, indicted as the Resort Credit. Seems odd.

Cheers.
I got 5% credit from my bank of America cash back card on my maintenance fee at the elara

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk