• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Aspire

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Glad you thought it out for your circumstances. I have an aspire and ascend card to do what I posted above. Then my wife is getting the Aspire or upgrading one of her other Amex to it in Jan. We use the $500 for Hilton and $500 for United charges for our annual spending.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gift cards on Southwest and airfares under $100 on Alaska also trigger this. That's what we'll be doing - mrs. brp with the Aspire and me with Amex Plat.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
One new thought that I just found out about. While the Aspire Card gets you Diamond Hilton Honors Status with guaranteed 48 hour reservation privileges, that benefit may not be as good as one thinks. I looked for a reservation at the Garden Inn in Honolulu a resort the would normally charge $250/night or so was charging over $500/night using the 48 hour reservation privilege since they were sold out. Also, I looked at a Hampton in in Tarrytown, NY that I have stayed at before for $118/night was charging $200/night using the 48 hour reservation privilege since it was sold out. So while it is a benefit, it is not one which I will probably ever use unless I would be homeless with our 8 bags on the street.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do follow most of your scenarios about using the various cards and I have been wondering about whether I should go for the 60K on the Aspire Card. While you have taken into consideration the 14x HH points for Hilton expenditures you don't consider the 7x HH points for Airline, Rent a Car, and Restaurants. I estimate that all of those bonus categories come to about $10K. Therefore, the remaining $50K would only get 3x HH points totaling 150,000 HH points. I value those points at about $750, more if you use them in blocks of 4 and get the fifth night free. I agree with you value of $300 for the free night for the 60K points. So that comes to $1050. The Fidelity $50K would give back $1000, so it is close to a wash.

I have also thought about keeping the Ascend card. I spend about $5K in supermarkets and gas which get 6x HH points and would add up to 30K HH points. I would need to spend another $10K on the Ascend card to make the $15K for the free night. That 10K would only get 3x HH points for 30K HH points. The total HH points for the $15K in expenditures would be 60K which I value at $300. Plus the free night which I value at $300. So that total is $600 for the benefits of the Ascend card which costs $95 + the lost $15K in Fidelity expenditures which would give back $300. So the benefit here is $600-395 or $205.

So your thoughts are good thoughts.

For me the main purpose is to pay the MFs with the card. That nets me 77135 points this year with the ascend card, versus 89990 for the aspire card. 12855 point more for an extra $355 in fee doesn't strike me as a good deal. (I did stretch and get to the $15K spend for the year for a free night, as well. As a single person, I would never get to a $60K spend in a year. . . )

You have to look at your spend habits as well in choosing card.

(Now if I get an Alaska Airlines companion pass card at $95 a year, and see how my spend goes. . . .)

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me the main purpose is to pay the MFs with the card. That nets me 77135 points this year with the ascend card, versus 89990 for the aspire card. 12855 point more for an extra $355 in fee doesn't strike me as a good deal. (I did stretch and get to the $15K spend for the year for a free night, as well. As a single person, I would never get to a $60K spend in a year. . . )

(Now if I get an Alaska Airlines companion pass card at $95 a year, and see how my spend goes. . . .)

I just got the $250 resort credit for paying my LV BLVD MF. So in this case the extra fee is only $105 which gives you 1 Free night irrespective of spending.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Getting the extra 12855 HH points isn't the only benefit that you could use. The card gives you a free weekend night at Hilton Hotels. Also, since you also must travel and the card gives you a $250 airline credit and a $250 resort credit. You also get Diamond HH Status if you don't already have it which gives you more points for every dollar you spend at Hilton Properties charged you your room.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting the extra 12855 HH points isn't the only benefit that you could use. The card gives you a free weekend night at Hilton Hotels. Also, since you also must travel and the card gives you a $250 airline credit and a $250 resort credit. You also get Diamond HH Status if you don't already have it which gives you more points for every dollar you spend at Hilton Properties charged you your room.

I agree with everything you say, but at an individual level - are they applicable? People's choices and needs vary.

In my case, my spend for airline incidentals is $0. I never pay for extra bags, because I never carry them - just carry ons. So the $250 airline incidental credit would go to waste - for me. (I stay at Bay Club for at least two weeks, back-to-back, but I store all the stuff I need in a 2x2x4 locker there on the Big Island - at $250 a year. I then don't have to wait and worry about bags. Personal convenience.)

I never charge anything to my "room", nor do I use hotel restaurants. So unless the $250 is directly applicable to MFs, it, too, would be wasted.

I already get Gold Honors Status, (I looked at the current Ascend card sign-up, it has been downgraded to Silver for new cards) so I looked at the difference between the two:

Project-Pinnacle-Perk-Chart-02.jpg

The four extra perks, I would never use on a consistent basis, (if at all).

If I charge $15K I get the same one weekend night that I get free with the Aspire card. (Which I did this year.) I will never charge $60K for a second night. (I couldn't <spend> $60K in a year!)

Because of all of this, the Ascend better fits me. However, everybody is different, and the Aspire may fit other people better. But not me. . .

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with your thinking. I thought long and hard before I decided to go with the card and I will see how it goes this year and reevaluate.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you say, but at an individual level - are they applicable? People's choices and needs vary.

In my case, my spend for airline incidentals is $0. I never pay for extra bags, because I never carry them - just carry ons. So the $250 airline incidental credit would go to waste - for me. (I stay at Bay Club for at least two weeks, back-to-back, but I store all the stuff I need in a 2x2x4 locker there on the Big Island - at $250 a year. I then don't have to wait and worry about bags. Personal convenience.)

I never charge anything to my "room", nor do I use hotel restaurants. So unless the $250 is directly applicable to MFs, it, too, would be wasted.

I already get Gold Honors Status, (I looked at the current Ascend card sign-up, it has been downgraded to Silver for new cards) so I looked at the difference between the two:

Project-Pinnacle-Perk-Chart-02.jpg

The four extra perks, I would never use on a consistent basis, (if at all).

If I charge $15K I get the same one weekend night that I get free with the Aspire card. (Which I did this year.) I will never charge $60K for a second night. (I couldn't <spend> $60K in a year!)

Because of all of this, the Ascend better fits me. However, everybody is different, and the Aspire may fit other people better. But not me. . .

You never fly anywhere?
I think it was mentioned earlier that purchasing Airline gift cards directly from the airline website will trigger the $250 airline credit. (if you want more details there's a set of dedicated threads on Flyertalk about which airlines and what amounts work).

I also believe it was mentioned earlier that the $250 credit does count if you pay your MF with the card.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now I don't know if my Bay Club MF's will actually trigger the 12X bonus. (Bay Club is not on the list,(it's an affiliate) and I don't enroll them into HGVC.) I'll find out in a couple of weeks. . .

(Buying a bunch of under $100 gift cards will work, but a lot of bother, both to buy and to use for an airfare. And technically, it shouldn't count, even if it currently does. I've read the fine print on both cards.)

But everybody's circumstances are different.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Ralph Sir Edward sounds like it might not work for you. I just had to make an expected overnight on SWA and stayed at Hilton where I booked at 6PM for that evening. As a Diamond, they upgraded us to a suite and we had lounge privileges. Looking forward to seeing if any of the airplane or hotel charges work against my credits.

I didn't know about the Ascend change to silver from gold, however we get gold with our W57 ownership so doesn't matter. However Discover and Freedom cards (which we also have) usually have 5x groceries one quarter every year so we can get 1/2 year of groceries covered at 5x. Plus 5x Freedom converts to Chase Sapphire points which are much more valuable and flexible than HHonors.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You never fly anywhere?
I think it was mentioned earlier that purchasing Airline gift cards directly from the airline website will trigger the $250 airline credit. (if you want more details there's a set of dedicated threads on Flyertalk about which airlines and what amounts work).

Definitely check Flyertalk about this. AA & WN worked last time I checked. AS works, with some nuances. Possibly others, but these are the ones I know.

Cheers.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Ralph Sir Edward sounds like it might not work for you. I just had to make an expected overnight on SWA and stayed at Hilton where I booked at 6PM for that evening. As a Diamond, they upgraded us to a suite and we had lounge privileges. Looking forward to seeing if any of the airplane or hotel charges work against my credits.

I didn't know about the Ascend change to silver from gold, however we get gold with our W57 ownership so doesn't matter. However Discover and Freedom cards (which we also have) usually have 5x groceries one quarter every year so we can get 1/2 year of groceries covered at 5x. Plus 5x Freedom converts to Chase Sapphire points which are much more valuable and flexible than HHonors.

My bad. I was looking at the free card not the Ascend card. . . .Oops.

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely check Flyertalk about this. AA & WN worked last time I checked. AS works, with some nuances. Possibly others, but these are the ones I know.

Cheers.
I made two purchases of AA giftcard (2 transactions), one for $100 and the other for $150. I have since received the credits 2 days after each transaction. This is such a good deal.
$250 credits for paying HGVC MF, and now $250 credits for AA giftcards against an annual fee of $450. Not to mention the Diamond status.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made two purchases of AA giftcard (2 transactions), one for $100 and the other for $150. I have since received the credits 2 days after each transaction. This is such a good deal.
$250 credits for paying HGVC MF, and now $250 credits for AA giftcards against an annual fee of $450. Not to mention the Diamond status.

Just be aware of the restrictions of AA GC. You can't use them on international-originating flights (ie, fly from say, Cancun, MX to the US), and some of their partner arlines (ie, typically those regional jets), don't always count as "AA" flights.

I've had at least 2 occasions where the online system would not let me pay with the gift card, but they WERE valid flights, so I had to call in and painfully read the numbers to the poor rep. LOL

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Just received my $250 for the extra room seats on Hawaiian Airlines. If it was clear that they would reimburse for these types of charges on Hawaiian Airlines and resort charges to your rooms at the Hilton Hawaiian Village right away I would have gotten the card immediately. They were so vague that I didn't want to get benefits that I couldn't use unless I went out of my way.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the 12x point for Bay Club MFs. For those wanting to know, non HGVC members for at least the Bay Club affiliate get treated as HGVC property for Ascend/Aspire cards.

We have a winner!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just received my $250 for the extra room seats on Hawaiian Airlines. If it was clear that they would reimburse for these types of charges on Hawaiian Airlines and resort charges to your rooms at the Hilton Hawaiian Village right away I would have gotten the card immediately. They were so vague that I didn't want to get benefits that I couldn't use unless I went out of my way.

I just got my 150,000 HHonors Points for spending over $4000 in the first 3 months. I had one big expenditure that made that possible. Now lets see how I can use the $250 Resort credit at the Hilton Hawaiian Village by charging stuff to the room at the Tapa Bar and Tropics.

bcjenkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean Tower
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges
Carlsbad Seapointe
El Cid Vacations Club
I just got my 150,000 HHonors Points ... Now lets see how I can use the $250 Resort credit at the Hilton Hawaiian Village by charging stuff to the room....

My wife and I stayed a MarBrisa the week before Christmas, where we charged a wine-tasting day trip and San Diego trolley tour tickets to our room. The $250 Resort Credit showed up 10 days after the MarBrisa transaction posted.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
So far this card has been fantastic and a money maker. Had a prorated AF upgrade of about $120 until my card anniversary but received the $250 2018 calendar year SWA credit and will get $250 from SWA again in 2019 before my AF is due. Also will pay MF with the card this month to get the $250 resort credit and will use at HHV after the card anniversary year for the the next $250.

Plus: 3 free weekend nights on one MF:

1 15k spend with Ascend
1 with upgrade to Aspire
1 with renewal in 3 months

Already received the 150k Hilton Honors and received two spending bonuses:

1) spend get 15,000 points for spend before Dec 24. With property taxes due this was easy.
2) get 10x on Amazon purchases until Jan 31

Plus AMEX offers.

Sweet deal.

My DH upgraded to the SPG Luxury but that card is meh. We get bonus points and $300 property credits for paying Vistana MF which makes the $450 fee palatable. The 50k night is nice but it seems that the really nice properties are 60k at peak. May sign him up for the Aspire card instead and downgrade the SPG Lux card at card anniversary unless they add more benefits. I still have the SPG regular card and Biz card. The biz card has some good spending bonuses and will keep for free 35k night. My personal basic SPG card will sit in the sock drawer and collect the free 35k night until something better comes along.

Last edited:

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the airline gift cards, it is best to buy in smaller increments if you can. Just check to see if there is a maximum number of gift cards that you can use per ticket. I used 3 to book an AA flight recently-WN and AS may be more restrictive. Best to check FT for recent experiences.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the airline gift cards, it is best to buy in smaller increments if you can. Just check to see if there is a maximum number of gift cards that you can use per ticket. I used 3 to book an AA flight recently-WN and AS may be more restrictive. Best to check FT for recent experiences.

WN have worked in the past at the $100 level (at least- have not tried higher). I just moved mine to AS, and testing now. For AS, not sure if gift cards work, but small (<$100) purchases do. With appropriate AS status, no cancellation fee, so I can wait until it posts.

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
WN have worked in the past at the $100 level (at least- have not tried higher). I just moved mine to AS, and testing now. For AS, not sure if gift cards work, but small (<$100) purchases do. With appropriate AS status, no cancellation fee, so I can wait until it posts.

Cheers.

According to FT, you can't do gift cards anymore, since 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...imbursement-reports-only-62.html#post30605216

click the "expand' under the Wiki.

Looks like you have to buy a (under $100) ticket more than 60 days out, wait more than 24 hours and cancel it or something, but seems a tad risky to me (plus there's usually cancellation fees), unless you're MVP

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to FT, you can't do gift cards anymore, since 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...imbursement-reports-only-62.html#post30605216

click the "expand' under the Wiki.

Looks like you have to buy a (under $100) ticket more than 60 days out, wait more than 24 hours and cancel it or something, but seems a tad risky to me (plus there's usually cancellation fees), unless you're MVP

Yeah, was pretty sure that was the case (about AS GCs). A couple of clarifications:

The fee-free cancel requires MVP Gold or above (MVP Gold 75K). Does not work for regular MVP.

Some recent reports of 23.5 hour cancellations generating the rebate :)

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, was pretty sure that was the case (about AS GCs). A couple of clarifications:

The fee-free cancel requires MVP Gold or above (MVP Gold 75K). Does not work for regular MVP.

Some recent reports of 23.5 hour cancellations generating the rebate :)

Cheers.

Although, now that I think about it:

If Amex rebates a ticket under $100, and you can actually use that ticket, then it would work quite well.

I think the cancel part is folks needed more than $100 ticket and getting the funds into the wallet or whatever to use later.

UA is another horrible one to try to get to work now that UA discontinued the ability to deposit funds into the Travel Bank. Although supposedly you can book a ticket on a non-Amex card (or at least the one you're using for the rebate), then ADD (after the fact) a "pet". Cancel the ticket within the 24 hours (free cancellation) and then supposedly UA refunds the ticket to the original card, and Amex rebates the "pet" charge/fee thingy. But there's more details in the UA forum.