• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

And now for something completely different....dental questions

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
During a recent visit to the dentist for semi annual checkup, the hygienist / technician told me their office was moving from the traditional X-ray to a digital X-ray for taking the usual six month X-rays.

I hate the traditional x-ray because the film that has to be placed in the mouth is large and has a horrid taste. Why can't the X-ray film holder be coated with some sort of flavored coating to diminish that horrid taste?

Also, while I am going to read more about digital X-rays, one question I am hoping someone may know is this - the hygienist / technician said that even using digital X-rays there is still a device that has to be placed in the patient's mouth. What has to go in the mouth for a digital dental X-ray?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
During a recent visit to the dentist for semi annual checkup, the hygienist / technician told me their office was moving from the traditional X-ray to a digital X-ray for taking the usual six month X-rays.

I hate the traditional x-ray because the film that has to be placed in the mouth is large and has a horrid taste. Why can't the X-ray film holder be coated with some sort of flavored coating to diminish that horrid taste?

Also, while I am going to read more about digital X-rays, one question I am hoping someone may know is this - the hygienist / technician said that even using digital X-rays there is still a device that has to be placed in the patient's mouth. What has to go in the mouth for a digital dental X-ray?

A digital detector. It has taken the place of film, just as in standard radiography. It's not covered in cardboard, like the old bad tasting film media was. Films are no longer used in many establishments, but a recording medium must of course be used. (Ask them, aren't you just a bit behind in moving to digital?)

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine utilizes digital radiography that produces up to 90% less radiation than traditional methods along with a digital intraoral camera.

Just a small plate that fits into the mouth and has no taste whatsoever. Very easy and very quick. Once done by the technician, she exits, and the dentist is back in a few minutes with the images.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I hate the X-ray thingie! To my mind the new contraption they stick in your mouth isn't much better than the old. Apparently I have a "small mouth" and anything they do is going to cause me discomfort. I end up with tears in my eyes as they tell me to bite down and the thing is digging into my gums.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine utilizes digital radiography that produces up to 90% less radiation than traditional methods along with a digital intraoral camera.

Just a small plate that fits into the mouth and has no taste whatsoever. Very easy and very quick. Once done by the technician, she exits, and the dentist is back in a few minutes with the images.

Don't want to nit pick here, but 90% less radiation is stretching it. Btw, aside from using less radiation, one of the key benefits is that the images are processed nearly instantly. Mine are displayed on a monitor, chair side, and I can watch them displayed as they're being acquired.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hate the X-ray thingie! To my mind the new contraption they stick in your mouth isn't much better than the old. Apparently I have a "small mouth" and anything they do is going to cause me discomfort. I end up with tears in my eyes as they tell me to bite down and the thing is digging into my gums.

I, too, hate those contraptions! They really do hurt! But I do like the fact that the images are immediate.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't want to nit pick here, but 90% less radiation is stretching it. Btw, aside from using less radiation, one of the key benefits is that the images are processed nearly instantly. Mine are displayed on a monitor, chair side, and I can watch them displayed as they're being acquired.

Not trying to make this a contest, just offering a different experience.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
A digital detector. It has taken the place of film, just as in standard radiography. It's not covered in cardboard, like the old bad tasting film media was. Films are no longer used in many establishments, but a recording medium must of course be used. (Ask them, aren't you just a bit behind in moving to digital?)

We're not exactly anywhere near Leading Edge here...

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Is the thing in your mouth something like a sports mouthpiece (mouthguard)?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

No. Google digital dental sensor and positioner, click images, and have a look. The positioner that holds the sensor is what makes this uncomfortable for some. To me, not a big deal. I find that the mouthpiece on my scuba regulator is much more uncomfortable. Trust me, there are far worse diagnostic procedures..

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
deleted

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

No, more akin to the old fashioned film X-ray thing where they swing a "camera" down and line it up with the thing you have clamped down on. Instant X-rays, but same discomfort.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Tears In my eyes I can live with, I hate the gag reflex that happens when I am getting dental X-rays.

I "unclench" as soon as the buzz of the X-ray comes and goes, and immediately pull the holder thing free of my mouth. That's when I'm apt to gag at least once per procedure.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Even worse than dental x-rays are getting impressions. Those are truly gag inducing.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Even worse than dental x-rays are getting impressions. Those are truly gag inducing.

Oh man, you are so right! Last time they tried nitrous oxide to relax me, and I immediately started crying. After the crying ceased they put the tray in my mouth (just had to clear my throat because I could feel a gag coming just thinking about it) and one of the worker bees stood next to me tap tap tapping my forehead which was supposed to help. Got through it, but dread having a crown made or needing to replace my nightguard.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Faith, a good xray tech knows how to fold the corner of the film holder do it doesn't dig into your palate or gums.

Also, there was an assumption in an early post: "the usual six month X-rays". Most people don't need them that often. This article has some guidelines. I aim for 18 to 24 months, as it's been years since one actually discovered anything. I only permit four bite-wing views as I've never had decay in any teeth farther forward than those cover.