• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anticipation of upcoming trips

phyllispsu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluetree Resort
I try to find new restaurants to try and places to visit! I'm over two group mini weekend get a ways (March and April) to the beach so my vacation in May will be here soon.

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't mind waiting 1-2 years, often needed to snag prime Caribbean vacations. But more now, the airline schedule changes is a problem or just the flights/timing of booking. Feb. was the first time as retirees we went for 2 weeks in Caribbean instead of one, and snow issues caused us to miss the first 4 days (not always easy getting to some islands). One week after I booked an AZ flight to pick up a granddaughter, flight was rescheduled, arriving 6 hours later and only wee am other choices. This may have been due to the Boeing 700-max shuffling of planes, but I wasn't on one the those. I only have one afternoon for AZ before heading back home. Seems easier these days to rent last minute and book flights for vacations.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Enjoy every one of these remaining working days. When they are gone you might miss them a bit. I know I do. Goofing off can be alot of work, lol.

Bill

I agree. I have been retired for 13 years and I do miss my work. I really enjoyed it. However I do enjoy the freedom of retirement. One day is the same as another. One of the main reasons I retired was to spend time visiting family, especially the grandchildren. We don't do a lot of planning. We love it here where we live so we don't have a great desire to leave.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hi there Dave (and everyone else)!

I too love to plan . . . but also just want to be away, enjoying even when it's a repeat destination.

I get through the anxiousness of the wait, but doing more (and more) planning and research about where we're going. I love to see photos and read about the trips done by others, in anticipation of my own personal experience. I also think this is why I also enjoy sharing my trips with others, in hopes of inspiring folks to consider a similar adventure.

Von, your trip reports are excellent reads. I always enjoy seeing them. And your pictures are about real things, not just postcards from the edge of wherever. If I ever want to plan trips like you've done, I know where to start my research. :)

Dave

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Enjoy every one of these remaining working days. When they are gone you might miss them a bit. I know I do. Goofing off can be alot of work, lol.

Bill
Hey Bill, I’m not sure if you’re serious or teasing those of us who haven’t yet retired. In any case I’m sure I will be ready soon (3-4 years) to find out for myself.

Dave, as for the anticipation of waiting for these long planned vacations to arrive, here is a trick that I use (as a working guy). When I’m prompted at work to change my password on my computer, I change it to an upcoming vacation place and date of departure ( along with required special characters). The passwords are usually good for several months. This way, I think about the upcoming trip when at work and it helps to remind me of the reason I work and log in each day. When the time comes to change the password again I just use the next trip info. This strategy also always reminds me how lucky we are to have vacations being such a prominent part of our lives!

We generally have our trips planned out at least 1 year in advance, including one for next April to Cuba.

Our Motto is “we are always either on vacation or planning our next one”!

Good luck, all!
Brian

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, as for the anticipation of waiting for these long planned vacations to arrive, here is a trick that I use (as a working guy). When I’m prompted at work to change my password on my computer, I change it to an upcoming vacation place and date of departure ( along with required special characters). The passwords are usually good for several months. This way, I think about the upcoming trip when at work and it helps to remind me of the reason I work and log in each day. When the time comes to change the password again I just use the next trip info. This strategy also always reminds me how lucky we are to have vacations being such a prominent part of our lives!

Brian

Brian, that is a brilliant idea! I've been using the same combination of former pet names and numbers for a long time. Maybe I need to switch it up a bit. Thanks!

I do have a Countdown app on my cell phone (called "Countdown Star", but I know there are others) where I've set a number of milestones I want to count down to. Various vacation dates, my projected retirement date, and such. Works well, and is easy to use. When I need to know how long I have til this or that event, I just click on the app. Poor solace, for sure, but at least it shows me I'm closer than I was the last time I checked. :)

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Hey Bill, I’m not sure if you’re serious or teasing those of us who haven’t yet retired. In any case I’m sure I will be ready soon (3-4 years) to find out for myself.

We generally have our trips planned out at least 1 year in advance, including one for next April to Cuba.

Our Motto is “we are always either on vacation or planning our next one”!

Good luck, all!
Brian

Brian . . . I love this! And yes, I plan more than a year out . . . and can live by that motto as well!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I do have a Countdown app on my cell phone (called "Countdown Star", but I know there are others) where I've set a number of milestones I want to count down to. Various vacation dates, my projected retirement date, and such. Works well, and is easy to use. When I need to know how long I have til this or that event, I just click on the app. Poor solace, for sure, but at least it shows me I'm closer than I was the last time I checked.

I just ask Alexa.
75 days or 1784 hours until 5/30.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Von, your trip reports are excellent reads. I always enjoy seeing them. And your pictures are about real things, not just postcards from the edge of wherever. If I ever want to plan trips like you've done, I know where to start my research. :)

Dave

Thanks Dave. I really do miss being a travel "guide" (writer/photographer) for the volunteer site IgoUgo. It was a shame when Travelocity bought them . . . and then shut them down about 18 months later. Trip Advisor is so lame in comparison too. There just aren't a lot of great alternatives out there for real travel experience writing and exchange of information and ideas. Thank goodness we have TUG!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just ask Alexa.
75 days or 1784 hours until 5/30.

Can't do that from work, but nice to know I can do it at home. Just tried it. She's a smart one ;)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Dave. I really do miss being a travel "guide" (writer/photographer) for the volunteer site IgoUgo. It was a shame when Travelocity bought them . . . and then shut them down about 18 months later. Trip Advisor is so lame in comparison too. There just aren't a lot of great alternatives out there for real travel experience writing and exchange of information and ideas. Thank goodness we have TUG!

I think you need to put your reviews and ideas together into an ebook and self-publish. You put a lot of work into things. See if others agree. :)

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you need to put your reviews and ideas together into an ebook and self-publish. You put a lot of work into things. See if others agree. :)

Dave

Funny you should suggest that Dave. I actually started to do something along those lines on Alaska. I found, however, that my information and experiences were a bit dated . . . even just 5 years later. Places change over time, especially in vacation destinations . . . restaurants, lodging, attractions & activities. I felt as though more research and editing would be required to justify the effort.

I do have much of my work in PDFs which I offer to others . . . especially through Trip Advisor.