• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any advantages at all to buying from developer?

Myrcalus

Reaction score
Hey TUG,

Bought CWA points after a presentation yesterday, my cell data wasn't working well enough to do the research and there is a five-day rescission period, but now that I've done the research it's clear that I could easily get the same number of points on the resale market for thousands upon thousands less.

I have every intention of drafting that rescission letter while I'm still on vacation and sending it certified mail from a local post office just to ensure it gets done, but before I do, I'm hoping someone can help me understand just what exactly I would be losing by rescinding this contract and buying one at resale versus keeping what I've got (which I would only do if the benefits were truly substantial and I could get more by calling sales to otherwise threaten to cancel).

It sounds like Wyndham has some nice resorts, but just because I can afford the package they're offering doesn't mean I want to pay more than I have to for the same product!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
<snip > I'm hoping someone can help me understand just what exactly I would be losing by rescinding this contract and buying one at resale

Pretty much just the thousands of dollars paid. IMO nothing else gained from a developer purchase really matters. There are benefits at VIP levels... and they can change (and have changed) when Wyndham wants to do so... none of these benefits are worth the cost difference. There are also non-VIP benefits that allow you to spend more money to make reservations at Worldmark (and maybe Shell) properties using the points bought directly from Wyndham.

Cedartree105

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham club acess, Wyndham Smokey Mountain
May I ask how many points and the cost? Rescind immediately your better off purchasing resale. Mailing information should be somewhere in the stack of papers they gave you. I’m glad you found this website. Whatever you do make sure you know your state limits on rescinding. Each state varies!!!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No reason good enough to justify the thousands and thousands of extra dollars!!! Rescind now, before it’s too late!

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Hey TUG,

Bought CWA points after a presentation yesterday, my cell data wasn't working well enough to do the research and there is a five-day rescission period, but now that I've done the research it's clear that I could easily get the same number of points on the resale market for thousands upon thousands less.

I have every intention of drafting that rescission letter while I'm still on vacation and sending it certified mail from a local post office just to ensure it gets done, but before I do, I'm hoping someone can help me understand just what exactly I would be losing by rescinding this contract and buying one at resale versus keeping what I've got (which I would only do if the benefits were truly substantial and I could get more by calling sales to otherwise threaten to cancel).

It sounds like Wyndham has some nice resorts, but just because I can afford the package they're offering doesn't mean I want to pay more than I have to for the same product!
Congratulations Can't believe any offerings right now.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
no reason - resind...

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
Ok, there are a few things that you get as a perk with developer points that you don't get with resale.

1. Club Pass. This is if you want to book a WorldMark resort. The fee is $99 per reservation.
2. VIP IF you have 400K points or more. <--VIP benefits can change at any time and they do change. VIP is three levels: 400K Silver, 700K Gold and 1M Platinum.
a. VIPs get a newspaper at the resort.
b. They CAN put in for an upgrade in room size. This has been working for some and not for others with the new website.
c. They can book at a discount of 25% - 50% depending on their VIP level (this is at the 30-60 day mark, I believe)
d. Unlimited Housekeeping. (Gold and Plat...I don't know about Silver) The rest of us get 1 Housekeeping credit for every 1K points we own per year. If you run out of Housekeeping, you pay $2 and change for each credit. If you take short trips in large units, you might run out.
e. Unlimited reservations (All VIP or just Gold and Plat?) The rest of us get 1 reservation for every 77K points we own per year. If you run out, you pay $19 online or $29 (?) via phone.
f. Extra guest certificates. Everyone gets 1 guest certificate per year. I can't remember how they are doled out, but I get 2. If you need more it is $99.

VIPS can get an Advanced Reservation Priority at another resort and that makes booking a hard-to-get resort easier.

Everyone has Advanced Reservation Priority where they own...this lets you book 10-13 months ahead. At 10 months, points are points and you can book anywhere. Some of the Presidential Reserve units are saved for PR members and then there is Margaritaville (you are supposed to have to own there to book there, but there are plenty of people who are getting reservations).

If you think that the discounts and upgrades are worth it, go for it. I figured it out that it would take 30-40 years to recoup the cost. I am careful to not use up my Housekeeping and reservations to avoid the fees...but honestly, my 154K points from resale cost $700 and the same size package from Wyndham was $22,000. I think that I can pay some HK and reservation fees or spend more points for a unit for the $21+K that I saved by buying resale.

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
Oh, and an RCI weeks account goes with a developer purchase. This lets you exchange with a $239 fee to other resorts. You can probably just get an RCI account, but maybe not. I don't use RCI to deposit my points because I hate fees. I am considering getting a "Last Call" resort where you just pay about $259-399 for a week and don't use any points. Haven't done it yet, though.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Actually, RCI Weeks account comes with resale contacts also. Those who purchase direct from Wyndham get to book nightly (1-6, 7 and 7+ night) reservations using Wyndham points deposited to RCI. Still not worth the cost of purchasing from Wyndham.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, there are a few things that you get as a perk with developer points that you don't get with resale.

1. Club Pass. This is if you want to book a WorldMark resort. The fee is $99 per reservation.
2. VIP IF you have 400K points or more. <--VIP benefits can change at any time and they do change. VIP is three levels: 400K Silver, 700K Gold and 1M Platinum.
a. VIPs get a newspaper at the resort.
b. They CAN put in for an upgrade in room size. This has been working for some and not for others with the new website.
c. They can book at a discount of 25% - 50% depending on their VIP level (this is at the 30-60 day mark, I believe)
d. Unlimited Housekeeping. (Gold and Plat...I don't know about Silver) The rest of us get 1 Housekeeping credit for every 1K points we own per year. If you run out of Housekeeping, you pay $2 and change for each credit. If you take short trips in large units, you might run out.
e. Unlimited reservations (All VIP or just Gold and Plat?) The rest of us get 1 reservation for every 77K points we own per year. If you run out, you pay $19 online or $29 (?) via phone.
f. Extra guest certificates. Everyone gets 1 guest certificate per year. I can't remember how they are doled out, but I get 2. If you need more it is $99.

VIPS can get an Advanced Reservation Priority at another resort and that makes booking a hard-to-get resort easier.

Everyone has Advanced Reservation Priority where they own...this lets you book 10-13 months ahead. At 10 months, points are points and you can book anywhere. Some of the Presidential Reserve units are saved for PR members and then there is Margaritaville (you are supposed to have to own there to book there, but there are plenty of people who are getting reservations).

If you think that the discounts and upgrades are worth it, go for it. I figured it out that it would take 30-40 years to recoup the cost. I am careful to not use up my Housekeeping and reservations to avoid the fees...but honestly, my 154K points from resale cost $700 and the same size package from Wyndham was $22,000. I think that I can pay some HK and reservation fees or spend more points for a unit for the $21+K that I saved by buying resale.
Silver has unlimited housekeeping now but not when I bought in 1999

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
i wish my resell had unlimited housekeeping credits...

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
Just curious. Those of you who have unlimired housekeeping credits. Do you own multiple contracts purchased resale? Are they at a certain resort or possibly an older contract which grandfathered them? If someone owns a resale contract with unlimited housekeeping do you think ithe would be safe to purchase a second without losing the benefit if it wasn't supposed to be there?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Those of you who have unlimired housekeeping credits. Do you own multiple contracts purchased resale? Are they at a certain resort or possibly an older contract which grandfathered them? If someone owns a resale contract with unlimited housekeeping do you think ithe would be safe to purchase a second without losing the benefit if it wasn't supposed to be there?
I’m VIP that’s why. I thought whitewater might of started it as a April fools so I just added on
But yes I have several resale contracts also

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
I’m VIP that’s why. I thought whitewater might of started it as a April fools so I just added on
But yes I have several resale contracts also
Thanks for replying. I know of a couple single resale transfers that went through with unlimited housekeeping but am not sure why. Just being curious and trying to learn why things work out the way they do.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I know of a couple single resale transfers that went through with unlimited housekeeping but am not sure why. Just being curious and trying to learn why things work out the way they do.
There used to be some resale contracts that received developer purchase status. But as far as I know Wyndham has put a stop to that.
Some resale contracts get coded wrong during transfer and show up as being purchased from Wyndham.
Mistakes happen!! Wyndham might have employees that only do resale transfers now to cut down on mistakes. That may be another reason why resales take so long to transfer.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

yes 3 - not VIP

Ps. Not april fools. :)

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no resales and it will take a lot of searching to divide inventory. They used to remind me that my deeds read Fairfield but then they had to research contracts by social security numbers as it was set up originally. I now understand what the man at GSL meant about this is a big split two years ago in May. When the other members were on my member number, sales had to ask me who, how and why they were included as their contracts were separate .

Last edited:

Myrcalus

Reaction score
Mailed in my rescission today, thanks TUG.

To the poster who asked earlier, it was $19.5k for 126k points + 174k bonus and Silver VIP

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
Mailed in my rescission today, thanks TUG.

To the poster who asked earlier, it was $19.5k for 126k points + 174k bonus and Silver VIP

Wow! That's quite a chunk of change. The resorts are beautiful and easily worth the price of maintenance fees but probably not worth that purchase price. The temporary vip wouldn't have enough time to give you advantages that would come close to making up the purchase price. I own 259000 Panama City Beach points purchased last fall for 2050 including closing costs and just saw a 254000 point contract there sell on ebay for 2560 today. If you really want to own do more research and consider resale. If you just want to enjoy the resorts from time to time without commitment find a vip owner with extra credits and rent from them.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! That's quite a chunk of change. The resorts are beautiful and easily worth the price of maintenance fees but probably not worth that purchase price. The temporary vip wouldn't have enough time to give you advantages that would come close to making up the purchase price. I own 259000 Panama City Beach points purchased last fall for 2050 including closing costs and just saw a 254000 point contract there sell on ebay for 2560 today. If you really want to own do more research and consider resale. If you just want to enjoy the resorts from time to time without commitment find a vip owner with extra credits and rent from them.
I am at Panama City now with spring breakers but at least I am cool and staying in from driving .this resort can drive you mad until you learn the shortcuts. I just realized today that what sales are promoting now I bought in 2012 and love it. I just stayed 5 nights in Wyndham reward hotels for $220.00 total .Now I can rent my condos out and pay my fees. I thought it had to do with my trust but I can use extra holidays to pay my fees and have already rented to friends but can earn more with snowbirds wanting to escape to sunny Florida . Thanking God for the wisdom to have bought GSL and not mere points .

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
I am at Panama City now with spring breakers but at least I am cool and staying in from driving .this resort can drive you mad until you learn the shortcuts. I just realized today that what sales are promoting now I bought in 2012 and love it. I just stayed 5 nights in Wyndham reward hotels for $220.00 total .Now I can rent my condos out and pay my fees. I thought it had to do with my trust but I can use extra holidays to pay my fees and have already rented to friends but can earn more with snowbirds wanting to escape to sunny Florida . Thanking God for the wisdom to have bought GSL and not mere points .

GSL? Been researching for a long time but that abreviation doesn't see familiar to me.

Awesome that you have your ownership working for you. I rented a few of my days through Craigslist last month and had great luck .

About your rewards hotel stay. Is this something available as a resale owner like me or is it through a Wyndham credit card?