• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any II-Foxrun in NC owners?

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a question for those Foxrun in Lake Lure, NC owners out there that trade with II. We are looking to buy a summer week (there seem to be some good deals right now) solely for trading. What kinds of trades have any of you gotten? (Can you see DVC in January? Ever gotten HHI in the spring...?)
Thanks for any help you are willing to give!

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to join the Yahoo group - if you wish to join, post your interest here and you will be sent an invitation.

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I would love to join! Thank you for the information! :)

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you please email again?

I am so sorry! Our dial-up connection/computer are not having a good day today (it has something to do with this windows update that keeps taking forever to download. My programs are not happy right now!) Anyway, I know I had private messages this afternoon, but the only one I was able to see was from CaliDave! Anyway, if you sent me a message this afternoon, could you please try again? Sorry to be such a pain! :( I am thinking that after 5 years, it is time to start looking for a new computer with the probs we have had since last fall!
Sorry, and thank you all!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Supply far exceeds demand there. I predict one of these days trade power will plummet. Maint fees keep going up and up too, now pushing toward $500 and almost guaranteed to go up in '07. Prices are indeed coming down. A prime summer Foxrun just went for 800 bucks on ebay. Kinda tells you something. But hey, if you want to take the plunge, go for it!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Big Matt said:
Sour grapes? Or do you know something others don't?

Just curious.

Sour grapes about what? And btw why don't you go to some board mtgs there, maybe you'll learn something yourself.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Since I'm being asked about knowing something others don't know, here's a peek at how much supply there is of Foxrun deposits. Btw, I once saw a July 4th Foxrun week in II inventory for over a year. If it's so much in demand, why is all this inventory just sitting online ripe for the picking? Here Matt, you can probably get in this coming July 4th week with one of your Marriott weeks...you can pick from the following:

Foxrun • FXR
Lake Lure, NC, UNITED STATES
Resort Details & Photos

Feb 11 2006 - Feb 18 2006 2 6 6
Mar 31 2006 - Apr 07 2006 2 6 6
Apr 15 2006 - Apr 22 2006 2 6 6
Apr 21 2006 - Apr 28 2006 2 6 6
Apr 22 2006 - Apr 29 2006 2 6 6
Apr 28 2006 - May 05 2006 2 6 6
Apr 29 2006 - May 06 2006 2 6 6
Jul 01 2006 - Jul 08 2006 2 6 6
Jul 29 2006 - Aug 05 2006 2 6 6
Sep 08 2006 - Sep 15 2006 2 6 6
Sep 09 2006 - Sep 16 2006 2 6 6
Sep 15 2006 - Sep 22 2006 2 6 6
Sep 16 2006 - Sep 23 2006 2 6 6
Sep 23 2006 - Sep 30 2006 2 6 6
Sep 30 2006 - Oct 07 2006 2 6 6
Nov 04 2006 - Nov 11 2006 2 6 6
Nov 10 2006 - Nov 17 2006 2 6 6
Nov 11 2006 - Nov 18 2006 2 6 6
Nov 25 2006 - Dec 02 2006 2 6 6
Dec 09 2006 - Dec 16 2006 2 6 6
Dec 16 2006 - Dec 23 2006 2 6 6
Dec 29 2006 - Jan 05 2007 2 6 6
Dec 30 2006 - Jan 06 2007 2 6 6
Mar 09 2007 - Mar 16 2007 2 6 6
Mar 17 2007 - Mar 24 2007 2 6 6
Apr 13 2007 - Apr 20 2007 2 6 6
Apr 20 2007 - Apr 27 2007 2 6 6
Apr 21 2007 - Apr 28 2007 2 6 6
May 11 2007 - May 18 2007 2 6 6
May 12 2007 - May 19 2007 2 6 6
May 19 2007 - May 26 2007 2 6 6
Jun 01 2007 - Jun 08 2007 2 6 6
Jun 08 2007 - Jun 15 2007 2 6 6
Aug 03 2007 - Aug 10 2007 2 6 6

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you posted what you posted. No, I haven't been to the board meetings, but I do pay attention and am a member of the Yahoo group. I believe that Foxrun is well managed.

My question about sour grapes was an assumption that you were put off by Foxrun or someone there. Am I missing something?

Didn't mean to offend.

Carol C said:
Sour grapes about what? And btw why don't you go to some board mtgs there, maybe you'll learn something yourself.

Steve

Reaction score
The Fear that Loose Lips will sink the Foxrun Ship

Foxrun trades great with II. It's as simple as that. You can buy a prime Foxrun week for $1500, or less, and trade it into Marriotts on a consistent basis. You can also trade it for the Royals in Cancun, two bedroom Disney DVC weeks, and lots more. For the price and the maintenance fees, it's trade power in II is outstanding.

Some Foxrun owners are worried that it is becoming too popular and that this will cause their trade power to drop. This could happen down the road, but it certainly hasn't thus far.

There are, however, some Foxrun owners who have specifically stated their intention to discourage people on TUG from buying at Foxrun. They are hoping to scare people away from buying there in order to "protect" the good thing they have going.

Therefore, the question for Carol should be: if you're so concerned about Foxrun, why haven't you sold your week?

Steve

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enlightening

I think this could potentially explain the "sour grapes."
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15989

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement guys! We bought a resale in Orlando for school spring break week a few years back thinking every couple of years we would go there and have never gone in 4 years. The kids basically would like to do Disney once and that's it. (And we are NOT complaining!!!!) So we are dumping our Orlando resort and trying to buy an inexpensive, good trading resort, and I believe our other resort will be on Hilton Head, as we have gone there 3 out of the last 5 years. I think that Foxrun will fit the bill, although we are looking at a couple of other options too!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Carol is simply trying to point out an economic certainly -- too much supply will lead to decreased trading power, it's inevitable. I think it's entirely possible that she's simply trying to warn the poster that although Foxrun has enjoyed terrific trading power for years, it's time might be running out. And, finally, I think it's pretty unfair to assume otherwise.

I am not an owner at Foxrun -- so there's no protection going on. But, I've been thinking the same thing for years, so I know where she's coming from.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a decline in trade power already compared to what it was a few years ago.

I've never seen anyone state that they would discourage people from buying there either here or on the Yahoo group.

Carol C has always been most helpful and encouraging so from my perspective I think Steve's comments are inappropriate if they are directed (as they seem to be) at Carol.

As jerseygirl points out the supply/demand equation is always the key, Carol has provided the supply side and the fact that weeks continue to sit in II tells me what the demand is.

Edited. Please take out a classified ad. --Cat

Steve said:
Some Foxrun owners are worried that it is becoming too popular and that this will cause their trade power to drop. This could happen down the road, but it certainly hasn't thus far.

There are, however, some Foxrun owners who have specifically stated their intention to discourage people on TUG from buying at Foxrun. They are hoping to scare people away from buying there in order to "protect" the good thing they have going.

Therefore, the question for Carol should be: if you're so concerned about Foxrun, why haven't you sold your week?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
The moderator of the group may be away for a few days but I've posted on the group to send you an invite. She is very good at following up on these requests so it won't be too long.

akbmusic said:
Anyway, if you sent me a message this afternoon, could you please try again?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
not a pleasant experience exchanging into...

I've never owned a Foxrun week, but visited this past October thru an RCI exchange, hoping that perhaps this would be the resort we could buy close enough to home to sometimes use, and then join II and make good trades when we didn't. (Of course we like Marriotts, off-season is fine! We exchanged into Monarch at Sea Pines off-season thru RCI and loved it.)

I couldn't (and almost still can't) understand the big deal about Foxrun, because this exchange was among our least favorite, out of over 50. The walls of the unit were scuffed and dirty, the carpet was stained, and the whole place had such an overwhelmingly unpleasant odor, including a very heavy deodirizing chemical that tried unsuccessfully to cover up something that just smelled really bad (did someone have pets in there long-term or something?), that we asked to be moved. They were full, so instead they came in and did some sort of air exchange. This made it bearable, but barely. Our stuff retained the odor of the unit for months thereafter. The large master suite on the bottom floor was so mildew-y, we had to shut the downstairs door and never go into it. (Too bad, because otherwise it would have been very nice.) We were glad we didn't have friends with us. Cooking wasn't so pleasant either, there was a very bad mildew-y or rotten odor coming out from under the kitchen sink, so we didn't like to open it to toss our trash. Hanging out there was not particularly pleasant, since it was too chilly to be on our deck. In the summertime, the deck and its view would have been the only saving grace, but we would have been tempted to sleep out there too! This place needed serious refurbishment, and that looked like assessments to me.

My "bias" is that I don't need fancy or amenities - just give me somewhere clean and not odiferous, to enjoy hanging out in the evening, and pleasant to do some meal prep and eating dinner - in a good location - that's all! We have stayed at several really standard, low-rated resorts, and have been satisfied, as long as the unit looks and feels clean, we're comfortable temperature-wise, and there's no bad odor. So Foxrun didn't make that basic cut for me, and I'd never go back unless I were assured of a better experience.

I wish my experience had been otherwise, and if it had been, I'd probably be an owner now too.

My understanding is that the good trade power is based on II having so few affiliated NC mountain resorts. So if more NC mountain resorts end up affiliating with II in the future, trade power could go down because of that too, and become closer to RCI's trade power, which isn't great.

Just my .02!

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that Carol was only trying to provide what she believes could be the very real future of Foxrun based upon what is plainly before our eyes. As far as I'm concerned, Foxrun is a great bargain and a great trader, but as Carol has said, the bottom could fall at any time. She is just being realistic. Nothing wrong with that. What you have to understand is that many of us have owned for several years now so if this were to happen today, I know that I have certainly received my money's worth. Worse case scenario, being that Foxrun is an VRI resort, I will simply use it trade within RCI for the preference. A new owner might not feel the same way. Take all the facts into consideration.

Personally, I have not witnessed any decline in trade power in Foxrun weeks, and I search II constantly. At least not with the red weeks. What I have seen over the years is that one top resort that we used to be able to see, could no longer be seen. However, in recent months, our weeks can in fact pick up some of these units.

custcarcen

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm seeing much less in trade opportunities and this,
combined with the rapid acceleration in maintenance fees, can
result in the attitude that things are not as good as they were.

Certainly the outlook is not as rosy as it once was and to jump
all over Carol for saying so is uncalled for.

Mike

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
e.bram said:
Look at all the $100.00 tSs on Ebay. Never was like this!!!

I was one of those selling my yellow Foxrun weeks on ebay for about that amount. The MF's are too high for many of us to justify keeping several weeks at this resort.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
When buying just for trading one must be prepared to accept the changes in trade power. You should evaluate whether the reduction in trade power is possible and whether you want to take such risk. If trade power lasts for another 2 years, that means a couple of good trades before it is time to sell. I sold my South Africa after owning it for two years and getting two good trades. With hindsight, it was not worth the effort.

BarCol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gee Laurie - it's really too bad about you experience at Foxrun - did you call the front office to advsie them of the problem or the exchange company as soon as you realized there was an issue?

We actually own a couple of weeks there (and while I'm no expert) and have enjoyed our vacations very much. As well, I'm getting to be of the opinion that if you complain too much about something in a forum like this, then you can pretty well be assured that things will go from bad to worse. Fxrn still trades resonably well, in my book, and in case nobody's noticed all the resort maintenance fees seem to be taking astronomical leaps lately....

Just my $.02 worth.

Barb,
the friendly Foxrun moderator.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BarCol said:
Gee Laurie - it's really too bad about you experience at Foxrun - did you call the front office to advsie them of the problem or the exchange company as soon as you realized there was an issue?
Yes, I did call to report the problem and asked whether we could be moved to another unit, but they told me that wasn't possible, they were full. So, they brought in a machine while we were out and did some sort of air exchange, which helped somewhat, at least on the entry and upper floor. So management wasn't unresponsive, but couldn't completely solve the problem. No point in getting into this with RCI, but my comment card reflected the experience. Too bad about our unit assignment and timing, since I'd noted the location of Redden Realty on our way in, and had my checkbook ready... Maybe it was the universe's way of saving me a few thousand dollars on this trip, who knows! :p

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

caribbeansun said:
The moderator of the group may be away for a few days but I've posted on the group to send you an invite. She is very good at following up on these requests so it won't be too long.

I got an email today! Thank you so much!

Another question. Those of you that own Foxrun weeks, how long have you owned there? And, is anyone else disappointed with the condition of the units?
Thanks again!