TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to find out RCI trading power prior to purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by cak144, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:34 PM.

1. cak144

cak144 Guest

We are interested in purchasing a cheap timeshare on EBay, TUG, etc. We want to use it primarily for exchanging. Obviously the lower the MF the better. However, we would like to purchase a unit with decent RCI trading power. Is there any way to find out the trading power of a unit prior to purchasing it?

2. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Seapointe
    WorldMark
    In RCI Weeks: You can ask someone who has RCI access to see what they can learn. RCI has a deposit calculator that tells what they'd give (at that moment) for making a specific deposit. You'd need to know the resort, unit type and size, and the week being deposited. It's not perfect, but it can give you an idea of what they might do. But since TPU values change, and the deposit date can have a great effect on TPUs given, it's not a perfect system.

The other problem with trading power also is where you expect to go. A deposit of a mud week ski resort will return average to lower TPUs. But trading into a Disney resort might require three or four or five times as many TPUs, if a week becomes available. So it's not a one-for-one thing. The days of greater or lesser trading power ended when RCI went with TPUs. A direct week exchange is a thing of the past.

Dave

3. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

trading power varies based on a secret formula. My best guess is they pay more if they need what you have, and pay less if they dont, Also they pay more for an early deposit than a late deposit

The RCI exchange fee (and their other fees) are creeping up every year. its over $200 now, which is almost as much as maintenance fees in some cases

I think the old tried and true advice is still good. Buy where you want to go and close to home. And plan to use it most of the time. For me that would be a triennial, 3 bedroom lockoff at Vacation Village at Parkway. MF was, last time I looked, under $800 every 3 years. Its within a 3 hour drive from my home They accept dogs, and you can deposit it as 2 one bedrooms. Vacation Village is a big place with lots of RCI availability and deep discounts close to check in. Oh and you get a discount on the deposit fee when you trade back into the Vacation Village family of resorts. The TPUs I get for a deposit and the TPUs required for a reservation are not the most important thing. Whats important is the spread. I A vacation Village week like I owned got 40 TPU on deposit, and one bedroom weeks were often available on RCI close to check in for 5 TPU.. So deposit my one week every 3 years for 40 TPU and get 8 weeks in trade,

Im sure that there are much better deals out there, and you may not live close to a Vacation Village resort. but concentrating on a resort close to home that I actually wanted to visit worked for me

4. rockon

rockon TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

[Advertising is strictly prohibited in the discussion forums]

5. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Massanutten, Wyndham Bali Hai, Grand Luxxe
    In RCI points they have a document that lists the point values for associated resorts that they made available to download. It's not comprehensive, but here it is....

Attached Files:

6. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    I’m happy to look stuff up for anyone. I have an RCI weeks account.

But know that it varies year by year.

Another good thing to check to get ideas about trading value is the II demand calendar. I think that’s what it’s called. It’s readily available on their website without needing an account to access. It just gives you an idea of which seasons will rent or trade well vs which seasons/weeks won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc McAplin & Eagles Nest, Sunrise Bay, Hideaway Sands, Voyager, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Cold Springs, Banyan
    It also varies , sometimes greatly, between RCI and II. I have weeks that are high traders in II that aren't in RCI and others that are high traders in RCI but not II.

With the always increasing prices to trade, my suggestion would be buy where you could see yourself being happy if you went every year, even if that isn't the intent now.

mpumilia likes this.