• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone been to Marriott's in Wales?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 1 certificate for 5 night stay. Have enough points to get another.

My grandfather came from Wales. It's been a dream to go.

2 hotels are on the possible list. Cardiff and St. Pierre.

Any input would be appreciated.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 1 certificate for 5 night stay. Have enough points to get another.

My grandfather came from Wales. It's been a dream to go.

2 hotels are on the possible list. Cardiff and St. Pierre.

Any input would be appreciated.
The Cardiff Marriott is a city centre hotel, so ideal for sightseeing in the Welsh capital - the castle, the bay area...etc although much like any other city hotel and not particularly special.
St Pierre is more of a resort hotel in a rural location, with a golf course. It is a real character property and for me that makes it rather more special.
It is significantly less convenient for visiting Cardiff centre, but as a result more convenient (by car) for visiting the Valleys and the surrounding towns and countryside.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt response. This morning when I logged in and looked again the Swansea property showed up. Any thoughts on this hotel?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt response. This morning when I logged in and looked again the Swansea property showed up. Any thoughts on this hotel?
The Swansea Marriott is located right on a marina, so has good views.
It is also very close to the Gower peninsula, which is a beautiful stretch of coastline with some great beaches (at the right time of year!)
It is not Cardiff though, which for me has far more history, character and things to do.
The other factor, you have probably already looked at is Executive lounge access (from Flyertalk), where Cardiff wins out.
Cardiff / Marriott / OPEN Mon-Sat; CLOSED Sunday per website (presumably brekkie in restaurant on Sunday); Free wifi & i-net term+printer; 07/17 update
Chepstow / Marriott St. Pierre, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club / No Lounge; Breakfast or 750 points; Has terminal & printer, but must request code card from desk; 09/16 update
Swansea / Marriott / No Lounge; Breakfast in restaurant; 09/16 update

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been writing to my DD who currently lives in Italy. Before they move back to the States I'd love to have her join me on a ancestral journey. I have letters from my grandfather's cousins saying he was from Builth Wells. I found a company that coordinates walking holidays and this particular one seems to cover the area I'm looking for:

https://www.celtictrailswalkingholi...ndwrs-way-walking-holiday-overview/#itinerary

However, we could also stay at one of the Marriott's and drive the area and create our own walking itinerary. Driving on the "wrong" side is a concern.

Can someone help me understand the distances from the Marriott's to Builth Wells?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been writing to my DD who currently lives in Italy. Before they move back to the States I'd love to have her join me on a ancestral journey. I have letters from my grandfather's cousins saying he was from Builth Wells. I found a company that coordinates walking holidays and this particular one seems to cover the area I'm looking for:

https://www.celtictrailswalkingholi...ndwrs-way-walking-holiday-overview/#itinerary

However, we could also stay at one of the Marriott's and drive the area and create our own walking itinerary. Driving on the "wrong" side is a concern.

Can someone help me understand the distances from the Marriott's to Builth Wells?
Builth Wells is not somewhere I am familiar with, but it will be approx 60 miles and a 1.5+ hour drive from the Marriott’s, dependent on time of day for getting in an out of the cities.
https://www.rome2rio.com/p/Cardiff/Builth-Wells

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Sarah Palin is credited with saying you can see Russia from Alaska, but I have seen many reports on TUG, that during the winter months, you can see Wales from the Maui Ocean Club. ;-)

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. I knew I could get a route on google maps. Wanted to get more of a feel for a the difficulty of driving from someone familiar with driving in Wales.

For instance, after Easter when my friends were returning to Michigan from HHI they could surely google map the route. Most google searches would give them either 75 (double ugh) or 77. I love the vistas through WVA on 77 but would avoid certain portions during peak travel, bad weather or to avoid tolls. We prefer 77/35/23. I also cautioned them to keep a constant eye on what was happening around Charlotte. Charlotte is a regular bear to get through and around. We pop off the main route and take the backroads when google turns red. Columbus and Toledo are other tricky cities to get through and around. There's always construction.

I love that the route goes right through Brecon Beacons Park. I never thought of a bus/train/uber option.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sarah Palin is credited with saying you can see Russia from Alaska, but I have seen many reports on TUG, that during the winter months, you can see Wales from the Maui Ocean Club. ;-)

We went to Ireland with a couple friends. One day, while touring different gardens around the countryside, a homeowner told us on clear days you could see Wales from her hillside. She lived on the coast of the Irish Sea. One of the friends went wandering off. When we found her she said she went to see if she could spot some whales. :)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. I knew I could get a route on google maps. Wanted to get more of a feel for a the difficulty of driving from someone familiar with driving in Wales.

For instance, after Easter when my friends were returning to Michigan from HHI they could surely google map the route. Most google searches would give them either 75 (double ugh) or 77. I love the vistas through WVA on 77 but would avoid certain portions during peak travel, bad weather or to avoid tolls. We prefer 77/35/23. I also cautioned them to keep a constant eye on what was happening around Charlotte. Charlotte is a regular bear to get through and around. We pop off the main route and take the backroads when google turns red. Columbus and Toledo are other tricky cities to get through and around. There's always construction.

I love that the route goes right through Brecon Beacons Park. I never thought of a bus/train/uber option.
What I can say is that our Daughter lived in Caerphilly, North of Cardiff, until very recently so we have driven the route as far as Merthyr Tydfil.
The roads are fine, starting as dual carriageway and getting smaller with more bends as you head towards the Brecon Beacons but then you have the scenery to admire.
Generally though, these are very rural areas so I would say easy driving.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this trip takes place this month. . .I'm having a bit of trouble finding flights into Cardiff using miles. It's such a late booking.

I have enough AA miles. Can get miles from others if I get another travel package. I've actually considered flying in and out of Venice and then DD and I could catch an intra Europe flight. Or it may be easier to meet her at another airport and go from there. Train from Bristol? What is Flybe like? So many questions.

Here's a couple websites I've found pertinent to the trip. I'd like to park them here for reference and also if anyone else is finding this trip interesting:

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/attractions/gardens-country-parks/gardens/south-wales-gardens
http://www.visitwales.com/explore/travel-maps/international-travel

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points

She is correct.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this trip takes place this month. . .I'm having a bit of trouble finding flights into Cardiff using miles. It's such a late booking.

I have enough AA miles. Can get miles from others if I get another travel package. I've actually considered flying in and out of Venice and then DD and I could catch an intra Europe flight. Or it may be easier to meet her at another airport and go from there. Train from Bristol? What is Flybe like? So many questions.

Here's a couple websites I've found pertinent to the trip. I'd like to park them here for reference and also if anyone else is finding this trip interesting:

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/attractions/gardens-country-parks/gardens/south-wales-gardens
http://www.visitwales.com/explore/travel-maps/international-travel
We have only flown Flybe once many years ago.
As I recall they were fine and for short haul flights we only tend to avoid Ryanair, although others seem to be happy with them too.
We almost always use Easyjet, as they fly most places we want to go from our nearest airport Bristol, they are normally good value, reliable and easy to deal with for booking extra legroom with speedy boarding...etc
Bristol to Cardiff by train is a quick and easy journey, which we do occasionally and our Daughter does quite often.
The train stations are in the city centres though, so you do I believe need bus (or taxi?) transfers from airport to city centre.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only flown Flybe once many years ago.
As I recall they were fine and for short haul flights we only tend to avoid Ryanair, although others seem to be happy with them too.
We almost always use Easyjet, as they fly most places we want to go from our nearest airport Bristol, they are normally good value, reliable and easy to deal with for booking extra legroom with speedy boarding...etc
Bristol to Cardiff by train is a quick and easy journey, which we do occasionally and our Daughter does quite often.
The train stations are in the city centres though, so you do I believe need bus (or taxi?) transfers from airport to city centre.

You’ve been so helpful. I do appreciate it.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
You’ve been so helpful. I do appreciate it.
You are most welcome.
I am sure I will have questions on future trips that I will be seeking help with too.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
This looks like it will actually happen. My DD and SIL finally got the dates they will be transferring to the States! There are some details that may get in the way but until we know that for sure I'm making reservations.

I'm on hold with Marriott Rewards. Late last night I made reservations at the Cardiff Marriott. When I tried to upgrade my Cat 5 certificate so it could be attached to the reservation the rep couldn't find it. Today's rep had to go back in my records and found that it expired in March. She was reinstating it but came back to say she doesn't have any note saying I'm an owner. It's a sunny day here and I'm feeling really good so I joked about how even though I'm Chairman level they can forget me. She did laugh so she caught the joke. I'm on hold again while she gets a supervisor.

Booking at such a late date, I couldn't find any flights using miles going into Cardiff or Bristol. I have reservations on hold with AA going into VCE. I'll spend the night at the Venice Courtyard (been there several times). DD will join me and we'll catch and intra-Europe flight to Bristol. Jack and I just watched a segment of Escape to the Country where the couple explored Somerset. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pns2z. I'm hoping the train from Bristol to Cardiff goes through pretty countryside. The train is still an unknown for me. The intra-Europe flight I've looked at gets into Bristol around 2:30 p.m. I haven't researched the train schedule yet. We will be renting a car. Question: How is the driving from Bristol to Cardiff instead of using the train? I haven't driven on the opposite side but DD has during a trip to Scotland. I'd like to give it a try if the car is an automatic. I've driven several times in France and Italy with a manual but that's all on the accustomed side of things. Picking up the car in Bristol makes it convenient to return it there after we check out.

MR rep is now calling Owner Services to get my owner account attached to my MR account. Obviously it was information that didn't get transferred with the changes. She said she sees I've had many of the travel packages in the past. Between us, Jack and I have had somewhere between 20 and 30 of these packages.

Got to transfer more SPG points. To be continued. . . .

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This looks like it will actually happen. My DD and SIL finally got the dates they will be transferring to the States! There are some details that may get in the way but until we know that for sure I'm making reservations.

I'm on hold with Marriott Rewards. Late last night I made reservations at the Cardiff Marriott. When I tried to upgrade my Cat 5 certificate so it could be attached to the reservation the rep couldn't find it. Today's rep had to go back in my records and found that it expired in March. She was reinstating it but came back to say she doesn't have any note saying I'm an owner. It's a sunny day here and I'm feeling really good so I joked about how even though I'm Chairman level they can forget me. She did laugh so she caught the joke. I'm on hold again while she gets a supervisor.

Booking at such a late date, I couldn't find any flights using miles going into Cardiff or Bristol. I have reservations on hold with AA going into VCE. I'll spend the night at the Venice Courtyard (been there several times). DD will join me and we'll catch and intra-Europe flight to Bristol. Jack and I just watched a segment of Escape to the Country where the couple explored Somerset. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pns2z. I'm hoping the train from Bristol to Cardiff goes through pretty countryside. The train is still an unknown for me. The intra-Europe flight I've looked at gets into Bristol around 2:30 p.m. I haven't researched the train schedule yet. We will be renting a car. Question: How is the driving from Bristol to Cardiff instead of using the train? I haven't driven on the opposite side but DD has during a trip to Scotland. I'd like to give it a try if the car is an automatic. I've driven several times in France and Italy with a manual but that's all on the accustomed side of things. Picking up the car in Bristol makes it convenient to return it there after we check out.

MR rep is now calling Owner Services to get my owner account attached to my MR account. Obviously it was information that didn't get transferred with the changes. She said she sees I've had many of the travel packages in the past. Between us, Jack and I have had somewhere between 20 and 30 of these packages.

It seems like you are having fun and games with Marriott Rewards!
Your transfer options from Bristol Airport could also include a regular coach/bus transfer direct from
the airport to Cardiff City Centre, if you have less than 20Kg suitcase + hand luggage per person
http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxportal2/pdf/timetables/216.pdf
https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/...m_source=http://www.bristolairport.co.uk+(GB)
For the train, you would need a transfer into Bristol City centre first for the station to catch the train to Cardiff.
I wouldn’t get too excited about the scenery though.
By car, it is easy but I do regularly switch between driving on the left and right and in left hand and right
hand drive cars.
You would have a good view driving over the river Severn (toll bridge ~£7), but watch out for speed cameras on the route.
The Cardiff Marriott is fairly central, so car parking is not cheap - £18 per day.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like you are having fun and games with Marriott Rewards!

The rep at MR was nice. The call took 1 hr. 2 min. She only got so far with OS. It has now been noted on my MR account that I'm an owner but will take up to 24 hrs. to reflect it on their systems. I had 1/2 hour call to OS and even got to a Supervisor. Nothing they can do. It's all in the control of Hal the computer. Therefore I can't do anything about upgrading my current travel certificate (the one I'm attaching to this reservation). Neither can I order a new travel package to get UA miles to book a reservation. I had another lengthy call with UA to reserve flights without having enough miles in my account. They will need the miles in 24-48 hours.

So I have 2 flight reservations on hold. AA and UA. Neither is great. Both are good. Glad to find something at such short notice.

Here's what has happened to the link of my MR and VAC account. . .

Somehow they were detached. My husband's is still attached. Ok little lady, sorry there was no record you have ever had your MR and VAC accounts attached. What??? Doesn't it seem obvious they were once attached since you can see I've run so many travel certificates through my account. At least the MR rep can see it was obvious. Whatever, . . . now can we talk about some MR points for the time and trouble it's taken me to go through this? I don't give points to people who ask me for them.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it may be a no go after all. Talked to DD. They got the list for out processing. She’s feeling the stress and doesn’t know if she can get away for 6 days. I’ve asked her to sleep on it and see what appointments she can get arranged tomorrow.

The hotel reservation can be cancelled last minute but my AA hold cancels at midnight. I’ve asked for help on flyertalk to compare it against the UA itinerary and the AA comes out ahead. After all that time moving points to get another travel package it doesn’t look like I need it.

AA rep suggested I ticket it because there’s no more availability. That means a $150 fee to reinstate miles if I cancel.

Well on the bright side, she may go next year with me and Jack.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rep at MR was nice. The call took 1 hr. 2 min. She only got so far with OS. It has now been noted on my MR account that I'm an owner but will take up to 24 hrs. to reflect it on their systems. I had 1/2 hour call to OS and even got to a Supervisor. Nothing they can do. It's all in the control of Hal the computer. Therefore I can't do anything about upgrading my current travel certificate (the one I'm attaching to this reservation). Neither can I order a new travel package to get UA miles to book a reservation. I had another lengthy call with UA to reserve flights without having enough miles in my account. They will need the miles in 24-48 hours.

So I have 2 flight reservations on hold. AA and UA. Neither is great. Both are good. Glad to find something at such short notice.

Here's what has happened to the link of my MR and VAC account. . .

Somehow they were detached. My husband's is still attached. Ok little lady, sorry there was no record you have ever had your MR and VAC accounts attached. What??? Doesn't it seem obvious they were once attached since you can see I've run so many travel certificates through my account. At least the MR rep can see it was obvious. Whatever, . . . now can we talk about some MR points for the time and trouble it's taken me to go through this? I don't give points to people who ask me for them.
Next time you are on hold to OS, some interesting trivia on HAL to while away the time!
https://triviahappy.com/articles/the-13-most-common-questions-about-hal-the-computer-from-2001

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's funny :). I wondered if anyone would catch my joke.

I booked the AA reservation. It gives DD another 24 hrs. to decide.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going!!!!!

Last night I ticketed my AA reservation to give me another 24 hrs. without cancellation fees.

This morning I had an email from DD saying she was really sorry and disappointed but it just wasn't going to work. Even though I had until 10:15 tonight to cancel my ticket I went ahead and called this morning and cancelled it.

A couple hours later we connected by phone and she repeated how disappointed she was. We talked about them using the hotel certificate for the Powerscourt hotel in Ireland as they pass through on their way to the States. Shortly after this I received another call from her asking if I could get my airline reservation back. Her husband was in the background saying we should go. He has been encouraging about this all along. I told her if I couldn't get flights then it wasn't meant to be but I was going to call AA right away.

I got the reservation back and kind of better than it was before. I had to pay for the DTW-ORD leg as that was no longer available on a MileSaver award. Less layover. Same big plane from ORD-VCE. Same seat. The return is better as it skips a segment. VCE-PHL-DTW. No stop in CLT.

The hotel certificate is attached to the reservation.
I have 1 night at VCE Courtyard.
I have a rental car reservation to pick up car in Cardiff the day after we arrive. Figure we will just enjoy the City for the rest of the first day since we arrive in the afternoon.
DD is getting our flights from VCE to Bristol.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing mind about car rental pickup. If we drive from Bristol airport it’s easy. No tranfer. No bus schedule.

Is there something in Somerset we should visit before crossing bridge?