• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone Else Put a Deposit Down on a Tesla Model 3 ?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We put our $1,000 deposit down on a Model 3 yesterday. We went to the Tesla store and did it in person with about 200 others.

Here's the big reveal that happened last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMJeR1Yvm4&feature=youtu.be

Quick FAQ:
- base price is $35k
- tax credits available for first 200,000 or so is $7500
- Model 3 is going to be about 20% smaller than S
- will go 0 to 60 in 6 seconds
- autopilot hardware comes standard and the safety aspects will come standard (pay extra to get all the features enabled)
- roof is all glass
- supposedly seats 5 adults comfortably
- ability to use superchargers comes standard
- will get 5 star safety rating in ALL categories
- can fit a 7 foot surfboard inside
- will go at least 215 miles on a full charge

Pictures...

2018-Tesla-Model-3-102-876x535.jpg

2018-Tesla-Model-3-103-876x535.jpg

2018-Tesla-Model-3-101-876x535.jpg

More details: http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-tesla-model-3-is-here-first-photos-early-details/

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations.
Do you fully spec your purchase at this time. Colors / Battery size etc!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Do you fully spec your purchase at this time. Colors / Battery size etc!

No, you just hand over a fully refundable $1000 to guarantee a place in line. All other details have yet to be announced and will be finalized later during the order process.

I also dropped $1000 on this...not sure I'll end up buying it, but given the popularity of the earlier models I thought it wise to get a place in line, especially combined with the fact that even all who reserved a space yesterday may not get the $7500 fed tax credit (much less the unknown about a particular State's benefit...for instance, I have no guarantee California will offer a $2500 rebate at time of purchase at this time). I made my reservation right at 7:28 (though they weren't supposed to start until 7:30) online, so curious to find out next year where I am in the list compared to others here who reserved in a Tesla store during the day.

The car looks great. Personally, I have to deal with paying ~$5,000 or so (based on previous tentative quotes) to pull power to my parking space in my condo building...hoping to find a better solution for that before ordering the car.

Sent from my iPad

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The glass roof is sure different. Looks dark enough to shield a bright sun. If a boulder falls on you, though, you won't get just a dent.
The 0-6 interests you the most, right?
How are the headlights? Only a Prius model got a good grade on them in some study this week.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, you just hand over a fully refundable $1000 to guarantee a place in line. All other details have yet to be announced and will be finalized later during the order process.

I also dropped $1000 on this..

The car looks great. Personally, I have to deal with paying ~$5,000 or so (based on previous tentative quotes) to pull power to my parking space in my condo building...hoping to find a better solution for that before ordering the car.

Sent from my iPad
No supercharger to rock up to nearby?

The design reminds me a lot of the 2001 Saab 9X concept. The turbine wheels are so Saab.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The glass roof is sure different. Looks dark enough to shield a bright sun. If a boulder falls on you, though, you won't get just a dent.

How often does this occur? What do you think happens when a "boulder" falls on ?

The 0-6 interests you the most, right?

It's simply a good indicator that the car can accelerate when needed. It seems the optional dual motor version will be even faster.

How are the headlights? Only a Prius model got a good grade on them in some study this week.

Very few specs announced yet.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No supercharger to rock up to nearby?

Currently, the closest is about a 30-45 minute drive from me in good traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if they add another (or two) closer.

The design reminds me a lot of the 2001 Saab 9X concept. The turbine wheels are so Saab.

Yes, I thought it was similar as well. But, I owned two Saabs and thought they were great! :)

Sent from my iPad

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mom just put one in. They told her if doesn't want the Model 3, she could apply the downpayment to another model such as the Model 4S.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I showed the Model 3 to my DW, she said she'd been up much of the night mulling it over. I think she's put a deposit on one. No risk, as it's refundable, and I figure one could sell their 'spot in line' if it turns out they don't want to take delivery. By the time they ramp up production in late '17 she'll be about ready to trade the '14 Prius anyway.

Jim

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When I showed the Model 3 to my DW, she said she'd been up much of the night mulling it over. I think she's put a deposit on one. No risk, as it's refundable, and I figure one could sell their 'spot in line' if it turns out they don't want to take delivery. By the time they ramp up production in late '17 she'll be about ready to trade the '14 Prius anyway.

Jim

Actually, no. See section 4 of the "reservation agreement":

Model 3 Reservation
Terms & Conditions
1. Model 3 Reservation
Thank you for placing a Reservation for Model 3. By making your Reservation, you have secured the approximate
priority within your region for taking delivery of your Model 3. (Additional details about priority can be found on
our website at https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/reserving-model-3.)
2. Effective Date
Your Reservation becomes effective when (1) you place your Reservation and (2) we receive your Reservation
Payment.
3. Order Process
While this Reservation secures the approximate delivery priority within your region, it does not constitute the
purchase or order of a vehicle. When the start of production for your Reservation nears, we will ask you to
configure your Model 3. Tesla will create an order for your vehicle and you will receive a Purchase Agreement
indicating the purchase price of the vehicle, plus estimates of any applicable taxes, duties, transport and delivery
charges, and any other applicable fees. If you proceed with the order, we will apply your Reservation Payment
towards the order payment. Until you enter into a Purchase Agreement, your Reservation may be cancelled at
any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Reservation Payment.
4. Acknowledgements; Non-Transferable
You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay
any interest on your Reservation Payment. Your Reservation is not transferable or assignable to another party
without the prior written approval of Tesla.
5. Your Details
From time to time we will ask you to provide information so that we can perform our obligations under these
terms and conditions. We will maintain your personal information in accordance with our Privacy Policy, which
is available at https://www.teslamotors.com/about/legal.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just reserved one. Will be interesting to see what options are available and how expensive they'll be.

ETA: Finally, a car I can work on. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So set up the deposit on a burner email address.

Along with a burner name, address, and credit card? Lol

Sent from my iPad

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Along with a burner name, address, and credit card? Lol

Sent from my iPad
I understand the place in Line is linked to the email address.

Anyway. You can transfer your spot with permission from Tesla. I know my buddy did this on the model X line with a 100% ROI.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I understand the place in Line is linked to the email address.

Anyway. You can transfer your spot with permission from Tesla. I know my buddy did this on the model X line with a 100% ROI.

Good to know. Had no idea or reference until now re their willingness to transfer the spot.

Sent from my iPad

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This new car design has peak my interest.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My husband put down a deposit yesterday as well...:)

Last edited:

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
I'm in Utah and didn't expect a huge turnout so got in line at the local Tesla service center "only" a couple hours early...and found myself #101 in line. Wow. But yes, I also put down a deposit. Really excited for this car, and have a paid-off car in good enough shape to hopefully tide me over the 1.5-2.5 years before release!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put down a deposit too. I expected a fair bit of hype, but the number of us who have voted with our dollars here is frankly shocking to me!

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are all a bunch of enablers. Now DH and I are discussing this even though we don't need another car!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
200,000 people put down deposits? Is that what my news talking heads announced?

Is this a form of CROWD FUNDING for Tesla? .... $200,000,000